Do you Believe in evolution or creationism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1351 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

They both claim to have emmanated from the Creator.......................................................................

Probably one in the same... or one has to die!

Couch_Couchen

Earlier you mentioned being the referee. I rarely argue in these evolution/creation debates as I'm more of a theologian than a scientist. In otherwords, I suck at arguing outside of stating basic beliefs. Those who debate on the side of creationism does not seem to be on at the moment sadly.

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1352 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

creationsim, simply because it has an explanation as to how life began. I don't see that in evolution.mohfrontline

That's because evolution isn't suppose to explain the origins of life, but the variations of it. That's a simple fact that many creationists, like you, seem to get confused over.

Why do I even bother, actually? This whole thread is months old and posting in here--hoping for positive results--is like throwing a pebble into the ocean and expectating a tidal wave to form.

Couch_Couchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1353 Couch_Couchen
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Story time-

One weekend when I was a kid, I went to a Christian camp with my church youth group. We went on this "creation" walk where genesis was explained in depth. After the walk we had a little Q&A time. So I asked "If evolution never happened, and the Earth is only 6,000 years old, where are the descriptions of dinosaurs in the Bible and other early written works."

She told me dinosaurs where in the Bible. She pulled up some obscure Bible verse about some strange creature and used this as proof of dinosaurs walking with man. She then told me that "dragons" in early myths and legends, were depictions of dinosaurs. Needless to say I facepalmed....hard.

I let it slip by though and asked another question, "Why couldn't God have just taken billions of years to create Earth, and seven days to him are like seven hundred billion years to us." This made perfect sense to me as they had told us the day before in a sermon that God percieved time like a photograph. Seeing the beginning and the end at the same time. Why then seven days?

Her answer was that God made it in seven days solely to set our week......:roll:

I then sat quietly and listened as she, and a bunch of the other kids, bashed Darwin (the person, not even his theory) for close to ten minutes like he was the anti-christ.

I think sometimes Christians get so worked up over little details and certain passages, that they COMPLETELY miss the point of Christianity.

mfacek

^^^ Why I've been atheist at all in my life.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1354 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Story time-

One weekend when I was a kid, I went to a Christian camp with my church youth group. We went on this "creation" walk where genesis was explained in depth. After the walk we had a little Q&A time. So I asked "If evolution never happened, and the Earth is only 6,000 years old, where are the descriptions of dinosaurs in the Bible and other early written works."

She told me dinosaurs where in the Bible. She pulled up some obscure Bible verse about some strange creature and used this as proof of dinosaurs walking with man. She then told me that "dragons" in early myths and legends, were depictions of dinosaurs. Needless to say I facepalmed....hard.

I let it slip by though and asked another question, "Why couldn't God have just taken billions of years to create Earth, and seven days to him are like seven hundred billion years to us." This made perfect sense to me as they had told us the day before in a sermon that God percieved time like a photograph. Seeing the beginning and the end at the same time. Why then seven days?

Her answer was that God made it in seven days solely to set our week......:roll:

I then sat quietly and listened as she, and a bunch of the other kids, bashed Darwin (the person, not even his theory) for close to ten minutes like he was the anti-christ.

I think sometimes Christians get so worked up over little details and certain passages, that they COMPLETELY miss the point of Christianity.

mfacek

I do not disagree with this specific statement. That doesn't mean one shouldn't study those "little details" however.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1355 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

But, seriously, what if EVERY evolutionary scientist was as wrong as that guy with George. W.'s evolution? Scary yet plausible.

Couch_Couchen

I would say that any credible biologist would not use that suggestion. I don't think it's scary at all, considering how much evolution has done to medical sciences.

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1356 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts
[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]

But, seriously, what if EVERY evolutionary scientist was as wrong as that guy with George. W.'s evolution? Scary yet plausible.

Genetic_Code

I would say that any credible biologist would not use that suggestion, but I can't tell if that person was being serious because he posted YouTube videos of Ken Miller, who is an Intelligent Design activist. I don't think it's scary at all, considering how much evolution has done to medical sciences.

What the hell...

I didn't say that.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1357 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]

Genetic_Code

I would say that any credible biologist would not use that suggestion, but I can't tell if that person was being serious because he posted YouTube videos of Ken Miller, who is an Intelligent Design activist. I don't think it's scary at all, considering how much evolution has done to medical sciences.

Ken Miller isn't an Intelligent Design activist...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1358 deactivated-5a79221380856

What the hell...

I didn't say that.

Blood-Scribe

I was trying to quote the two of you and I accidentally merged the quote into one. Sorry about that.

What I was trying to say to you was that this thread was created in May and it's currently October, hence what I meant by five months.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1359 deactivated-5a79221380856

Ken Miller isn't an Intelligent Design activist... zakkro

Oh, my bad. I'm getting confused with Kent Hovind.

Couch_Couchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1360 Couch_Couchen

Yeah, I like the Biosciences that work with the spread of specific species across the planet (e.g., the mice that came to the Americas with the Vikings and their genotype they brought with them is traceable).

I accidentally typed "Bikings" which either means.. bicycle or Bi-Kings... anyway....

SO LATE.

SO TIRED.

But Christianity is screwed up, no matter how you look at it. It was supposed to fall "apart" eventually, and repeatedly, anyway.

Most of the Churches I've been in lately have had "rumors" or "money issues" or whatever... I'm just pissed off, to be honest.

Oh well, I'm not Christ nor Krishna.

Well... technically, according to the Bible and Gita, I kind of am... but so are you. No biggie.....

REAL BIG no biggie.

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1361 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts
[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]

What the hell...

I didn't say that.

Genetic_Code

I was trying to quote the two of you and I accidentally merged the quote into one. Sorry about that.

What I was trying to say to you was that this thread was created in May and it's currently October, hence what I meant by five months.

Oh, I went by last post, not thread creation.

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1362 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts
[QUOTE="mfacek"]

Story time-

mindstorm

I do not disagree with this specific statement. That doesn't mean one shouldn't study those "little details" however.

People bashing a subject that they're completely ignorant upon is bad as well, however, especially considering that they went so far out of their way to find the meaning of every single choice that God has ever made... ever, even if it ends up contradicting something they previously said.

I'm speaking of all people, by the way, not just Christians.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1363 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts

[QUOTE="zakkro"]Ken Miller isn't an Intelligent Design activist... Genetic_Code

Oh, my bad. I'm getting confused with Kent Hovind.

Yeah, I figured. :P Kent Hovind... I lol every time I hear that name for some reason. >.>
Couch_Couchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1365 Couch_Couchen

Kent Hovind is a topic killer.

Oh well, we're all bored.

ATHEISTS SUCK!

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1366 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Aaargh zombie thread! Die zombie!!

/spongebob reference.

usaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1367 usaaaaaa
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

How about getting rid of the tag creationism and just saying "god did it"?

I believe in Evolution. "Creationism" is absurd, and anybody who believes in it is a bafoone.

IMO LOL!

FatChuwawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1368 FatChuwawa
Member since 2007 • 736 Posts

I think it is absurd to say that the big bang happened it just does not make any sense at allishoturface

No. Creationism doesn't make any sense at all. I kind of want to believe that we will go somewhere after we die, but its not going to happen. I am more a supporter or science, solid reasons, and logical theories.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1369 domatron23

I believe in Evolution. "Creationism" is absurd, and anybody who believes in it is a bafoone.

IMO LOL!

usaaaaaa

Good ol' irony.

usaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1370 usaaaaaa
[QUOTE="usaaaaaa"]

IMO LOL!

domatron23

Good ol' irony.

Good ol' intentional irony.

Regardless, intelligence has nothing to do with grammar and spelling, my good sir.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1371 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="usaaaaaa"]

IMO LOL!

usaaaaaa

Good ol' irony.

Regardless, intelligence has nothing to do with grammar and spelling, my good sir.

Meh I'd say there is a fairly good correlation.

Anyways I guess I got self owned.

usaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1372 usaaaaaa
[QUOTE="usaaaaaa"][QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="usaaaaaa"]

IMO LOL!

domatron23

Good ol' irony.

Meh I'd say there is a fairly good correlation.

Anyways I guess I got self owned.

it happens to the best of us

WarDog1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1373 WarDog1994
Intelligent design, 1 God day=around 1 billion years
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1374 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
Intelligent design, 1 God day=around 1 billion yearsWarDog1994
So you believe in evolution then?
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1375 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

Intelligent design, 1 God day=around 1 billion yearsWarDog1994

How on earth do you know that?

WarDog1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1376 WarDog1994

[QUOTE="WarDog1994"]Intelligent design, 1 God day=around 1 billion yearsithilgore2006
So you believe in evolution then?

Yeah, I guess

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1377 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
People, you need to realize that you will never convince a creationist other wise. Creationism is heavily tied to religion, an establishment that prides itself for disregarding logic and calling it faith.