Do You Agree With the Age of Consent in Your Country?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do You Agree With the Age of Consent in Your Country? (33 votes)

Yes, it's perfect where it is 52%
No, it should be lower 36%
No, it should be higher 12%

It's 16 here and I think that's the perfect age - not too young, not too old.

I find it ridiculous that Americans have to wait until they're 18 to legally consent to sex, and even more ridiculous that they have to be 21 just to legally consume alcohol (but that's for another topic).

So do you?

• 
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Age of consent is like marijuana laws, they can be ignored provided you're not stupid about it.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I thought the United States laws of consent varied by state?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I don't think you understand Age of Consent in America

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@lostrib: Isn't it 18 for the vast majority of American states?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Age of consent should be 16. If you're old enough to get a damn driver's license, you're old enough to consent for sex.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shottayouth13-

@thegerg: Oh well. The question still stands.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib

@gamerguru100 said:

Age of consent should be 16. If you're old enough to get a damn driver's license, you're old enough to consent for sex.

Age of consent is 16 in 30 states

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Sixteen is reasonable for me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

People will have sex when they want to have sex. I understand the argument about immaturity regarding those under a certain age while having sex with someone older than a certain age, and have a personal, emotional issue with the idea of my potential offspring (of either sex, not just girls) having sex with someone much older than them (>10 years) while still technically children (and the idea of them being preyed upon sexually)... but really, what does it amount to?

A 19 year-old male has sex with his 15 year-old girlfriend. In the eyes of the law where I live, this would be considered statutory rape and be punishable by criminal charges and imprisonment. In the US, the punishments are even more severe (and life-ruining, despite actual, literal consent being given). A 24 year-old male has sex with his 20 year-old girlfriend and it's perfectly legal.

Now, I reiterate, I recognize the importance of the maturity argument, but really, that same 15 year-old girl can legally choose to have sex with her 15, 16, 17, 14, 13, etc year-old boyfriend, and not involve the law at all. She has the right to choose to have sex with a fellow teenager, but not a legal adult? What sense does this make? To me, it makes none. It seems to presume that any man over the age of 18 is involving himself in a relationship with this girl solely for the purpose of taking advantage of her, or is preying upon her sexually.

The line drawing seems quite arbitrary, especially considering it varies between 13 and 18 years of age around the world. That is a MASSIVE difference in terms of sexual, mental and emotional maturity for both boys and girls.

"It feels like the right age" is not sufficient for a law.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

It's 16 in my state, and I think that's pedophilia. If you're 18+ and all you can get is high school/middle school girls you just suck at life.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shottayouth13-

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

It's 16 in my state, and I think that's pedophilia. If you're 18+ and all you can get is high school/middle school girls you just suck at life.

16 year olds are not children.

Ephebophilia is a more fitting term.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I would agree with having the age of consent at 18.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fightingfan

@Shottayouth13- said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Age doesn't automatically constitute being an "adult", hell I've seen grown women look like middle school children, and I've seen high school kids look like grown women.

When I label someone a pedophile I'm referring to their attractiveness to an underdeveloped individual; one with the body/physical characteristics of a child.

True talk- most 16 year olds are not physically developed as an adult.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#18 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I understand that they needs laws about this, but it seriously baffles me how people even go as far as to call an 18 years old teenager a "pedophile" for having sex with a 16 years old girl.

Seriously, laws=/=culture. If the guy is 17 and the girl is 15, it's all good, if he is 18 and she is 16, the guy is a damn pedo.

I remember when I said in GS that I had seen a cute 15 years old girl, people would have hung me and thrown me in jail for being a "pedophile" if they could have...

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

"Age of Consent" laws constitute reprehensible discrimination against teleiophilic children. :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

@Fightingfan said:

When I label someone a pedophile I'm referring to their attractiveness to an underdeveloped individual; one with the body/physical characteristics of a child.

The law and psychology labels pedophilia as the sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. Hebephilia is the sexual attraction to peri-pubscent children. Ephebephilia is the sexual attraction to post-pubescent children.

There are many legal adults who do not fully develop physically until after the age of 18. And with girls starting their menstrual cycle as early as 8-9 and developing physically well before 18, your argument doesn't hold much water.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shottayouth13-

@Fightingfan said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Age doesn't automatically constitute being an "adult", hell I've seen grown women look like middle school children, and I've seen high school kids look like grown women.

True talk- most 16 year olds are not physically developed as an adult.

Even so, pedophile is not the correct term. Pedophilia refers to attraction to prepubescent individuals.

Most 16 year olds are at least developed to look like they didn't just come off sucking mommy's titties.

And a lot of 16 year olds are very developed physically, some even more so than some adults.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox

@Shottayouth13- said:

And a lot of 16 year olds are very developed physically, some even more so than some adults.

I've noticed a lot recently, the average bust size among most high school girls has gone up significantly since I was in high school. Unless of course they've created new bra technology my generation doesn't know about.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lostrib

@foxhound_fox said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

I've noticed a lot recently, the average bust size among most high school girls has gone up significantly since I was in high school. Unless of course they've created new bra technology my generation doesn't know about.

probably both.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

If anything I think it should be higher.

Young people are simple shit at making decisions.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

16 is great! I honestly would bang these girls if it I know no one would find out. While its perfectly legal being in your mid 20's is not accepted really.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fightingfan

@foxhound_fox said:

@Fightingfan said:

The law and psychology labels pedophilia as the sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. Hebephilia is the sexual attraction to peri-pubscent children. Ephebephilia is the sexual attraction to post-pubescent children.

There are many legal adults who do not fully develop physically until after the age of 18. And with girls starting their menstrual cycle as early as 8-9 and developing physically well before 18, your argument doesn't hold much water.

Women are only starting their menstrual cycle early this generation is due to obesity.

Women can't have a menstrual cycle if their bodyfat is substantially low. Those children aren't physically developed they're just manipulating their endocrine system because they're fat. They lose weight their menstrual cycle will almost completely go away.

Hell, males can breast feed at the age of 10 if they have gynocomastia - that doesn't make them a grown women.

*Oh and I used the word pedophile and child molester interchangeable in my head. Good thing we have the internet experts on the scene, haha :P

**I take back what I said about 10 year old boys; most American men can probably breast feed due to being obese or overweight, and their increase in progesterone from excess weight.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It's 15 here and I'm ok with it. A little on the young side, but not enough to make it criminal offense to sleep with such girl.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#33  Edited By TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

The current age of consent (which is 18 here) seems pretty reasonable to me.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#34 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I think it's hard to create a set rule for this kind of thing. KIds of a similar age will do whatever they want regardless.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Its 16 here in Pennsylvania, USA.

Thats perfect.....old enough to drive, old enough to dive

Its way too young for me personally (my age range is generally 27 - 42, with exceptions of course), but I have no problem with that being the age of consent.

I think its just right.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AFBrat77

@gamerguru100 said:

Agreed. You beat me to it.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

great post OP... outs all of the gamespot pedos and im sure theres many of them

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AFBrat77

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Pedophilia is an adult sexual interest in children under the age of 12.

Sexual interest in a 12 year old is not pedophilia, and 12 is not a child or a kid, 12 is the true beginning of being a teenager.

That being said 12 - 15 is too young for consent IMO and the 3 year rule should apply.

As I said before 16 is a perfect age to me for age of consent, just too young for my personal tastes.

If you are in your 20's and are chasing 14 and 15 year olds, even though thats not pedophilia (someone mentioned the term) you should seek professional help as there are likely issues there.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Flubbbs

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Sexual interest in a 12 year old is not pedophilia, and 12 is not a child or a kid, 12 is the true beginning of being a teenager.

That being said 12 - 15 is too young for consent IMO and the 3 year rule should apply.

As I said before 16 is a perfect age to me for age of consent, just too young for my personal tastes.

pedo confirmed.. mods can we get gamespot to come up with some kind of pedo badge to display for confirmed pervs?

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Flubbbs

@thegerg said:

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

pedo confirmed.. mods can we get gamespot to come up with some kind of pedo badge to display for confirmed pervs?

How is he a pedophile?

16 years old is still a kid.. mods can we also make pedo sympathizer badges too?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AFBrat77

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

Did you not see my post of the age range for me.......27 - 42?

pedophile? haha. You seem to be going McCarthy on us there guy.

Oh, and 16 is not a kid. 11 and under is a kid.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#45 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

@thegerg said:

@Flubbbs said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It does.

How is he a pedophile?

16 years old is still a kid.. mods can we also make pedo sympathizer badges too?

You see this girl?

She is a model named Fressy melendez (I put the name so that you can look her up and confirm that she is currently about 22 years old) , the first 2 pictures were taken when she was 16 years old (I knew the girl back then before she started her modeling career)

And the third pic is how she currently looks like (she is like 22 right now).

Now, be honest, if I wouldn't have told you that she was 16 in the first 2 pics, how old would you have thought she was?

If you had ran into the girl on the street wearing casual clothes, wouldn't have you found her hot?

Stop with that "every 16 years old person looks like a baby and finding them attractive means you're a pedo, derp." crap, if I had a penny for every gorgeous 16-17 girl I've ever seen, I'd be pretty damn rich.

Oh and before your bigoted mind tries to give me any shit: I'm 19 years old.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

16 makes sense I suppose, most people that age are old enough to know the ramifications assuming they were taught about it properly. Personally I'll stick with 19+, I remember dating when I was younger with younger girls and I really doubt the conversation subjects have improved over the years. Plus, at least around here, not being able to go to a bar or club kind of kills the number of things you can do.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

18 is good. Anyone less than 18 really has no idea what they are doing in most everything they do.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#48 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

16 makes sense here

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

I think the current age here (UK) is fine although raising it to thirty eight would be preferable.