Do illegal Immigrants really take our jobs away?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dann14v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 dann14v
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts

[QUOTE="SonKev"]why is this even discussed, its so dumb, this is why our nation sucks so much right now, we dont even focus on real issues...DivergeUnify
Immigration is a huge issue 70ish billion dollars a year in welfare programs/health costs devoted to illegal immigrants

70 billion a year? That's hardly anything.

National Debt Refresh the page once you're there.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Let me introduce you to the concept of outsourcing...
dann14v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 dann14v
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts
Let me introduce you to the concept of outsourcing...scorch-62
This here, be the real issue.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="SonKev"]why is this even discussed, its so dumb, this is why our nation sucks so much right now, we dont even focus on real issues...dann14v

Immigration is a huge issue 70ish billion dollars a year in welfare programs/health costs devoted to illegal immigrants

70 billion a year? That's hardly anything.

National Debt Refresh the page once you're there.

The Iraq War has cost around the same amount per year. I guess since it's not the biggest issue, that means it's not important at all, right? That's some forward thinking

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Let me introduce you to the concept of outsourcing...scorch-62
Outsourcing is a result of our government creating anti-market conditions in this country such was the minimum wage and high taxes.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 DivergeUnify
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]Let me introduce you to the concept of outsourcing...dann14v

Companies outsource due to high regulations and costs imposed by the government, the same reason they might choose to higher an illegal citizen with no documentation over a legal one
Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#158 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts
Unless they can absolutely do something no one else can, then they are stealing jobs that could go to American citizens. And the government is making haven towns for these people...
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="dann14v"][QUOTE="scorch-62"]Let me introduce you to the concept of outsourcing...DivergeUnify

Companies outsource due to high regulations and costs imposed by the government, the same reason they might choose to higher an illegal citizen with no documentation over a legal one

But still... only reason why anyone should be complaining. If Americans wanted the jobs that illegal immigrants are supposedly stealing from us, they would have them, and not the immigrant. Complaining about something you don't have that you didn't want in the first place is pointless, and that's all I've seen on the issue that doesn't involve outsourcing. Granted, I have a very narrow perspective on the matter, but my point stands. Outsourcing, while avoiding government regulations, takes jobs Americans actually want and gives them to people in other countries for cheap labor.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 DivergeUnify

But still... only reason why anyone should be complaining. If Americans wanted the jobs that illegal immigrants are supposedly stealing from us, they would have them, and not the immigrant. Complaining about something you don't have that you didn't want in the first place is pointless, and that's all I've seen on the issue that doesn't involve outsourcing. Granted, I have a very narrow perspective on the matter, but my point stands. Outsourcing, while avoiding government regulations, takes jobs Americans actually want and gives them to people in other countries for cheap labor.scorch-62
The reason it's a growing problem isbecause a growing amount of employers are giving a growing amount of jobs to a growing amount of illegal immigrants. It's not something a normal citizen can stop, unless they report the employer.

If legal worker X is asking for 12 dollars an hour to work under Y company, that also includes a constant tax. Illegal worker Z is asking for 10, untaxed. The employer also doesn't have to deal with unions, on-job-injuries or the like

matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 matthayter700
Member since 2004 • 2606 Posts

Obviously if an illegal immigrant has a job that means a citizen does not have that job.

LJS9502_basic

Not necessarily; some jobs might be usually unprofitable due to minimum wage standards, but an illegal immigrant might be more willing to work for less than minimum wage (therefore being easier to profit from) since they can't really turn to the law when they're already trying to hide from it; ergo, jobs that citizens would tend not to have.

But yeah, unrestrained illegal immigration generally does tend to replace employees, especially unspecialized ones; that's what happens with higher competition. But the problem isn't even so much that so many new people are entering the US (though the fact that they're breaking the law to do so is a concern, but even then, I've heard that the immigration laws are loaded with red tape, which would suggest sort of a "the law is wrong" scenario) as that employers get to fire their established employees just to make a profit, instead of due to employee incompetence.

In which case, what difference does it make who... or what... replaces you? For example, if, hypothetically, I were a mechanical engineer who designed a "carpenter robot" who could easily replace carpenter's jobs in a profitable way, (not claiming I would; my major is physics, not engineering :P) and I went to all these construction companies, selling my robots, a lot of jobs would be replaced. Is the problem that the technology is available, or is the problem that it's considered the employer's business why they do or do not keep their employees?

I think instead of blaming the illegal immigrants themselves, the focus should be on the employers. After all, given what I've heard about abuse of illegal workers, I think they are the victims of this as well.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not American, but I'm a Canadian who looks at this issue as an outsider.

m45t3rch13f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 m45t3rch13f
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
Because they're more competent.
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Diablo112688
Member since 2003 • 8345 Posts
people are so freaking ignorant about this topic.. it is truly sad. Not all illegals work crappy factory jobs... there are some corporations that just do not check for legal status. They may even background check and drug test, and they do not check for legal status... some illegALS SPEAK better english than some us citizens... and are also better workers and more productive than some. you really gotta take every cASE individually... which sadly never happens... go get a job.. go experience something... stop talking like you know anything, when you know nothing.
Avatar image for kingcobrasoccer
kingcobrasoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#164 kingcobrasoccer
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts
this country is based on hypocrysy we expect to help and secure the whole world but once we give help we want to take it back and also turns into a backlash. Most immigrants come from banana republics which basically means that they are controlled by the u.s. so they can get profit and resources of them. So the us government brings this upon itself. The media does its job by exploiting the negatives about immigrants while hiding the dirty secrets of why they are here. Technically immigrants do take a citizens job but i have seen people that rather not work and be broke than work in the fields. Plus they still pay taxes and have no way of getting any health insurance.
xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
they take jobs that nobody want. it is jobs that nobody would jump the gun to get.
grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 grenadexjumpr
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

this country is based on hypocrysy we expect to help and secure the whole world but once we give help we want to take it back and also turns into a backlash. Most immigrants come from banana republics which basically means that they are controlled by the u.s. so they can get profit and resources of them. So the us government brings this upon itself. The media does its job by exploiting the negatives about immigrants while hiding the dirty secrets of why they are here. Technically immigrants do take a citizens job but i have seen people that rather not work and be broke than work in the fields. Plus they still pay taxes and have no way of getting any health insurance.kingcobrasoccer

Don't fall into the media driven hype and generalization that they are "jobs Americans don't want." It may not be a job an American wants, but at this time, its a job they need. How many unemployed people do you know? 'Cause the ones I know would work any job they could get at this point. My neighbor went from a nearly 6 figure job in the house building industry and now I'm his supervisor at a retail store, and he makes just over double digits per hour.

Whether they are taking jobs or not, and whether we as Americans would want that job or not hardly matters. The point is they are illegally in this country, and should either start the immigration process or leave.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Obviously if an illegal immigrant has a job that means a citizen does not have that job.

matthayter700

Not necessarily; some jobs might be usually unprofitable due to minimum wage standards, but an illegal immigrant might be more willing to work for less than minimum wage (therefore being easier to profit from) since they can't really turn to the law when they're already trying to hide from it; ergo, jobs that citizens would tend not to have.

But yeah, unrestrained illegal immigration generally does tend to replace employees, especially unspecialized ones; that's what happens with higher competition. But the problem isn't even so much that so many new people are entering the US (though the fact that they're breaking the law to do so is a concern, but even then, I've heard that the immigration laws are loaded with red tape, which would suggest sort of a "the law is wrong" scenario) as that employers get to fire their established employees just to make a profit, instead of due to employee incompetence.

In which case, what difference does it make who... or what... replaces you? For example, if, hypothetically, I were a mechanical engineer who designed a "carpenter robot" who could easily replace carpenter's jobs in a profitable way, (not claiming I would; my major is physics, not engineering :P) and I went to all these construction companies, selling my robots, a lot of jobs would be replaced. Is the problem that the technology is available, or is the problem that it's considered the employer's business why they do or do not keep their employees?

I think instead of blaming the illegal immigrants themselves, the focus should be on the employers. After all, given what I've heard about abuse of illegal workers, I think they are the victims of this as well.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not American, but I'm a Canadian who looks at this issue as an outsider.

Yes necessarily.....follow the logic.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
How many americans work in the fields? I have not seen one my entire lifetime.illegalimigrant
*Sigh* Not all jobs illegals take are in the fields as you say. They take factory work and construction work as well. So you are saying no american would want those jobs? Then you would be wrong.
cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#169 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
It realle depends on which state you are in.
skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 skinnypete91
Member since 2006 • 6022 Posts
dey turk are jerbs
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="illegalimigrant"]How many americans work in the fields? I have not seen one my entire lifetime.MoonMarvel
*Sigh* Not all jobs illegals take are in the fields as you say. They take factory work and construction work as well. So you are saying no american would want those jobs? Then you would be wrong.

Construction has become very big for illegal work lately....and it's something that as a rule pays well for a citizen. So more profit for the construction company and a decent job gone. Hotels and janitors are not generally poverty line work either.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="illegalimigrant"]How many americans work in the fields? I have not seen one my entire lifetime.LJS9502_basic

Construction has become very big for illegal work lately....and it's something that as a rule pays well for a citizen. So more profit for the construction company and a decent job gone. Hotels and janitors are not generally poverty line work either.

I find it embarassing that people are still in this mindset that they only do field work, this isn't true anymore as they take jobs well beyond that now. Construction, Janitor, Factory and pretty much any job that doesn't require English or any real training to do. And with Spanish growing its only a matter of time before English isn't a big deal anymore. Most people need to take a second look at this.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] *Sigh* Not all jobs illegals take are in the fields as you say. They take factory work and construction work as well. So you are saying no american would want those jobs? Then you would be wrong.MoonMarvel

I find it embarassing that people are still in this mindset that they only do field work, this isn't true anymore as they take jobs well beyond that now. Construction, Janitor, Factory and pretty much any job that doesn't require English or any real training to do. And with Spanish growing its only a matter of time before English isn't a big deal anymore. Most people need to take a second look at this.

They will when they are the ones looking for a job.

Darnulin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Darnulin
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
well imo there is more to it than just that they take your jobs(i am danish)...well dunno how many illiegal immigants there are in america but lets just say there are 1 mil. and some of those "steal" jobs from american citizens and other gets jobs which would not have been occupied otherwise cause of bad working conditions etc...so that is just one problem that some of them "steal" your jobs..but many of the illiegal immigrants have families back in Mexico or where ever they are from..and their families are poor..so the illiegal immigrants send money back to their family in Mexico, not much but some...lets just say they send 10 dollars once a month back to their families...so if all the 1 mil. illiegal immigrants you got send back 10 dollars every month over the coarse of five year(or how long they stay in america before they get caught) it adds up..and that is money which is just given away which america benefits form in no way...also if they have kids who go to public schools YOU are paying for their edjucation through taxes...and if some of them do crimes the police have to spend money on solving the crime etc...this all adds up and becomes a lot of money!
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 LJS9502_basic

well imo there is more to it than just that they take your jobs(i am danish)...well dunno how many illiegal immigants there are in america but lets just say there are 1 mil. and some of those "steal" jobs from american citizens and other gets jobs which would not have been occupied otherwise cause of bad working conditions etc...so that is just one problem that some of them "steal" your jobs..but many of the illiegal immigrants have families back in Mexico or where ever they are from..and their families are poor..so the illiegal immigrants send money back to their family in Mexico, not much but some...lets just say they send 10 dollars once a month back to their families...so if all the 1 mil. illiegal immigrants you got send back 10 dollars every month over the coarse of five year(or how long they stay in america before they get caught) it adds up..and that is money which is just given away which america benefits form in no way...also if they have kids who go to public schools YOU are paying for their edjucation through taxes...and if some of them do crimes the police have to spend money on solving the crime etc...this all adds up and becomes a lot of money!Darnulin
Yeah....that is yet more costs to the problem with illegal immigrants working in the US.

lilbizzle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#176 lilbizzle1
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts
Yes they do and what annoys me is that the government treats them more important than us!
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 MoonMarvel
Yes they do and what annoys me is that the government treats them more important than us!lilbizzle1
In some areas they get free health care but we don't.
matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 matthayter700
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="matthayter700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

.. yes what? What do you mean?
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#179 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I used to know a woman married a Maxican that used to work in texas where low-paying and none of us want the job there.... it's true.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
Yes they take "our" (not necessarily American) jobs away. I'm sure a legal resident would be working at the jobs illegal immigrants work at if illegal immigrants didn't exist. However that doesn't mean that the legal resident want those jobs as those are mostly low paid positions and demands hands-on labour.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
This is a racist THREAD !!! MODS LOCK IT !!!! AGHHH
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 LJS9502_basic

This is a racist THREAD !!! MODS LOCK IT !!!! AGHHHSolid_Tango
No it's not unless you equate illegal immigrants with only one race.:|

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts
[QUOTE="matthayter700"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="matthayter700"] Not necessarily; some jobs might be usually unprofitable due to minimum wage standards, but an illegal immigrant might be more willing to work for less than minimum wage (therefore being easier to profit from) since they can't really turn to the law when they're already trying to hide from it; ergo, jobs that citizens would tend not to have.

.. yes what? What do you mean?

If there are 2 steaks, Billy (Illegal Immigrant) took one and Sarah (Illegal Immigrant) took one and I (citizen) look for steak and there is none...well...the logic is there.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#184 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

[QUOTE="matthayter700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

no, not necessarily. read his post just a little bit more carefully. if there's a job which pays less than minimum wage, a legal citizen woulden't take it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 LJS9502_basic

no, not necessarily. read his post just a little bit more carefully. if there's a job which pays less than minimum wage, a legal citizen woulden't take it.

danwallacefan

Wrong! If we didn't allow illegal immigrants to work here then the work force would be citizens/legal immigrants ALL by law making at least minimum wage unless tips are included thus those jobs = minimum wage minimumally. That's how it works here....

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

darn you illegal immigrants taking our jobs! go back to your country!

...wait before you go harvest my feilds, build my apartments, clean my home, and repair my bathroom...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 LJS9502_basic

...wait before you go harvest my feilds, build my apartments, clean my home, and repair my bathroom...

legend26

Construction is a very lucrative job. As is remodeling. It's not something an American wouldn't want.:|

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

[QUOTE="legend26"]

LJS9502_basic

Construction is a very lucrative job. As is remodeling. It's not something an American wouldn't want.:|

all people in this thread who arnt illegal, raise your hand if you want to do manual labor in the hot sun all day for unfair pay.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="legend26"]

legend26

all people in this thread who arnt illegal, raise your hand if you want to do manual labor in the hot sun all day for unfair pay.

There are many who do choose construction. And the pay is not unfair. They are well paid as long as they are legal. :|

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#190 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Well in the case of Greece (I dont know about other countries) the case is that immigrants have taken jobs like builder, farm worker and other hard-labour jobs; jobs which are frowned upon by the locals as "low-c|ass"... >_>

So the case is that immigrants have filled the gaps created by the locals. Nothing more imo.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it's Americans that are taking illegal immigrants jobs :P
Diablo112688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Diablo112688
Member since 2003 • 8345 Posts
Well although they are technically taking jobs in some cases and breaking the law... ths issue is not black and white. There are many factors to consider here other than whats in the books. We are talking human beings here... People become desperate in other countries and come here... they do what they have to do. It is very difficult to become a legal citizen or a permanent resident... so people take other extreme options. Overall they do take jobs Americans most likely wouldn't want, but there are cases were they even have good jobs. A good amount of them also pay taxes... there is a way to pay taxes and file your income tax if you posses a certain irs tax identification number which millions do have... of course there are some that don't have this... those are the ones who usually work with under the table pay. I believe those people would be the minority of the illegal crowd, but I could be wrong. Furthermore, millions of them do actually speak English and cause no trouble... although still breaking the law by just being here. I mean what do we do here? It's tough, you can't just spout out the law... it just does not work. The immigration policies need to be changed, also something needs to be done about the people who are already here...
grenadexjumpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 grenadexjumpr
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts

Well although they are technically taking jobs in some cases and breaking the law... ths issue is not black and white. There are many factors to consider here other than whats in the books. We are talking human beings here... People become desperate in other countries and come here... they do what they have to do. It is very difficult to become a legal citizen or a permanent resident... so people take other extreme options. Overall they do take jobs Americans most likely wouldn't want, but there are cases were they even have good jobs. A good amount of them also pay taxes... there is a way to pay taxes and file your income tax if you posses a certain irs tax identification number which millions do have... of course there are some that don't have this... those are the ones who usually work with under the table pay. I believe those people would be the minority of the illegal crowd, but I could be wrong. Furthermore, millions of them do actually speak English and cause no trouble... although still breaking the law by just being here. I mean what do we do here? It's tough, you can't just spout out the law... it just does not work. The immigration policies need to be changed, also something needs to be done about the people who are already here... Diablo112688

Its not that hard. My family did it. Even if people think its hard, its worth the trouble of not getting deported.

Darnulin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Darnulin
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
[QUOTE="Solid_Tango"]This is a racist THREAD !!! MODS LOCK IT !!!! AGHHH

it is not racism it is just facts...immigrants are great as long as it is not too much a burden for the society...but illigal immigrants can potentially be the reason for lowered living standards for many americans...and if just let in without any controle it can be a huge burden to the american society or any other society for that matter...just facts nothing personal..many immigrants are great people...live in Denmark and i have many Iranian, somalian etc. friends
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#195 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Technically yes, and I gotta admit, it does sort of affect the economy in that most immigrants tend to be willing to work for less, as well as work under much worse conditions, making them a more viable option for most businesses that need cheap labour.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#196 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="MrPraline"] .

No stealing Maddox's pictures :P
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#197 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
No, they take jobs that no one else would want to have.-Chimera-
In this economy, with unemployment high, you can't tell me that someone who's been unemployed for a long time won't be willing to take any job they can get. Have you done a survey of every unemployed person in the country? If they job was offered to regular American citizens instead of illegal aliens, at minimum, I'll bet there would be plenty of people willing to do it. If I was unemployed, I'd take whatever I could get for anything minimum wage or above.
matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 matthayter700
[QUOTE="MrPraline"] .JigglyWiggly_
No stealing Maddox's pictures :P

... that reminds me. That picture is from the following article: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=walmart Interesting perspective, isn't it?
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 DivergeUnify

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="legend26"]

legend26

Most construction workers are well paid. Illegal, or not. There are plenty of American plumbers. If there is a demand for something, there will always be people willing to meet that demand
yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts

They take jobs that Homegrown Americans would want, like janitorial work, or maid work, or picking apples!!

Dey derk er jerbs!!