Do illegal Immigrants really take our jobs away?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BayAreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BayAreaX
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
Do illegal Immigrants really take our jobs away?
BayAreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BayAreaX
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
and whats with lou dobbs and illegal immigrants ?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

Obviously if an illegal immigrant has a job that means a citizen does not have that job.

-Chimera-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Chimera-
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts
No, they take jobs that no one else would want to have.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
Yes.
No, they take jobs that no one else would want to have.-Chimera-
Well, they don't have to be illegal :P
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic

Not true. People have been fired from jobs they held that were then given to illegals. Don't believe the hype....hiring an illegal immigrant gives a company more profit. Cuts down on their overhead. It is false that no American would work those jobs....

12345678ew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 12345678ew
Member since 2008 • 2353 Posts

not any i would want. in the CG industry, if you don't have a masters or a previous hollywood job your out, no questions asked, no looking at a portfolio, and of course they also require you to be a US citizen if the office is in the US, check some databases, and what the hell, your a mexican? why did i waste 30 seconds looking at a portfolio?

Avatar image for FatalFantasy206
FatalFantasy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FatalFantasy206
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

[QUOTE="-Chimera-"]No, they take jobs that no one else would want to have.LJS9502_basic

Not true. People have been fired from jobs they held that were then given to illegals. Don't believe the hype....hiring an illegal immigrant gives a company more profit. Cuts down on their overhead. It is false that no American would work those jobs....

I will not disagree with you that no American would work the jobs the illegal's are taking, however I believe that a great majority are jobs that American's are not jumping over each other to try and get. I think the backlash against illegal immigrants has more to do with racism than the jobs they are taking. I see it in the discussions I get into on the subject.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
No they fill in the crappy jobs that almost no one else would take.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I imagine they often accept pay that no US citizen would consider or could even legally be paid, allowing small business to develop and run on very limited income.
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
In the vast majority of cases they are doing the jobs that people wouldnt want to do.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Famiking
I imagine they often accept pay that no US citizen would consider or could even legally be paid, allowing small business to develop and run on very limited income.jimmyjammer69
That isn't a good thing. Sad to see them being treated as sub-humans.
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Pred-Alien-
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I imagine they often accept pay that no US citizen would consider or could even legally be paid, allowing small business to develop and run on very limited income.Famiking

I know its harsh, but its a lot better than what they would be doing back home, which in many cases could be nothing. In this case, least they can send some money back and help their familry.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Famiking
[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]I imagine they often accept pay that no US citizen would consider or could even legally be paid, allowing small business to develop and run on very limited income.-Pred-Alien-

I know its harsh, but its a lot better than what they would be doing back home, which in many cases could be nothing. In this case, least they can send some money back and help their familry.

But we should be better than that - just because it's better than their home country's isn't really saying much.
mutenpika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mutenpika
Member since 2004 • 2940 Posts
[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"][QUOTE="Famiking"] That isn't a good thing. Sad to see them being treated as sub-humans.

But we should be better than that - just because it's better than their home country's isn't really saying much.

The fact is, it really is tragic that human rights are so casually violated because they can be. This is clearly a problem, and almost nothing can be done about it because these people technically have no way of standing up for themselves - one peep and it's deportation back to Torn-by-civil-war-alia.

We really, really need to fix our immigration system. As it is, it's broken and causes nothing but suffering.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Dey took er jubbs!

_Verm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Verm
Member since 2009 • 488 Posts
Are you telling me an unemployed American in this economy wouldn't want a job at a factory or something?
Avatar image for illegalimigrant
illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 illegalimigrant
Member since 2008 • 1402 Posts
How many americans work in the fields? I have not seen one my entire lifetime.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts

Dey took er jubbs!

RiseAgainst12

Durkee durr!

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Chimera-"]No, they take jobs that no one else would want to have.FatalFantasy206

I will not disagree with you that no American would work the jobs the illegal's are taking, however I believe that a great majority are jobs that American's are not jumping over each other to try and get. I think the backlash against illegal immigrants has more to do with racism than the jobs they are taking. I see it in the discussions I get into on the subject.

That is a fallacy. I don't care what race someone is....illegal is illegal. And if the jobs were given to Americans they would have pay commiserate with US law. Americans would take it. Do you know how many people are unemployed that would like a job?

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Famiking
How many americans work in the fields? I have not seen one my entire lifetime.illegalimigrant
You don't need illegal immigrants to do that, legal ones are good enough.
tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
This pretty much sums up what I was going to say. I saw some documentary once where they asked a load of unemployed chavs that question and they all said yes and were really angry about it. So the interviewers gave listings of crappy jobs in the area and the chavs went "We're not doing that!"
matisrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 matisrock
Member since 2007 • 679 Posts

Technically, yes, but many of the jobs they take are seasonal (berry-harvesting and the like), and would be only slightly better than unemployment for an American, or would be a job that most Americans would have no interest in taking.

Looking at it literally, all immigrants take "our" jobs away.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
More people regardless if they are an illegal immigrant will force more job competition.
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Pred-Alien-

[QUOTE="Famiking"][QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]I know its harsh, but its a lot better than what they would be doing back home, which in many cases could be nothing. In this case, least they can send some money back and help their familry.mutenpika

The fact is, it really is tragic that human rights are so casually violated because they can be. This is clearly a problem, and almost nothing can be done about it because these people technically have no way of standing up for themselves - one peep and it's deportation back to Torn-by-civil-war-alia.

We really, really need to fix our immigration system. As it is, it's broken and causes nothing but suffering.

This sums what i was going to say pretty well

Well except the immigrant stuff, as i live in the UK

Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts

I'm sure it has happened occasionally, but if an illegal immigrant is that destined to come across the border to work, then he/she probably doesn't have a skill-based education. They take the jobs that lazy Americans don't want, and boost local economies in the process (and since they don't pay as many taxes, but receive zero benefits, they are definitely not a DRAIN on our country as a whole).

Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts

[QUOTE="FatalFantasy206"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Not true. People have been fired from jobs they held that were then given to illegals. Don't believe the hype....hiring an illegal immigrant gives a company more profit. Cuts down on their overhead. It is false that no American would work those jobs....

LJS9502_basic

That is a fallacy. I don't care what race someone is....illegal is illegal. And if the jobs were given to Americans they would have pay commiserate with US law. Americans would take it. Do you know how many people are unemployed that would like a job?

...which is why we need to make these people citizens so they can start paying more taxes, recieving more benefits, and therefore not be struggling as hard to survive.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Chimera-"]No, they take jobs that no one else would want to have.FatalFantasy206

Seems to me that immigrants dont take jobs cos they dont give out jobs in the first place. If you ask me its the companys that take jobs to china and get kids who are paied poor wages are the ones who are really to blame when you americans say immigrants take all the jobs" but i you dont blame them you could also blame your poor education system that doesnt educate people forcing them to compete with other poorly educated immigrants.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

It goes like this:

Business has a job opening.

Business is legally required to pay at least the minimum wage for that job.

Illegal immigrant wants that job.

Since the immigrant is here illegally, the business is not legally obligated to pay the illegal immigrant minimum wage.

This encourages the business to hire the illegal immigrant because it is more cost effective.

Thus, a job opening closes.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

It goes like this:

Business has a job opening.

Business is legally required to pay at least the minimum wage for that job.

Illegal immigrant wants that job.

Since the immigrant is here illegally, the business is not legally obligated to pay the illegal immigrant minimum wage.

This encourages the business to hire the illegal immigrant because it is more cost effective.

Thus, a job opening closes.

Theokhoth

It goes like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

That why's I support anarchist communism which supports the gradual abolition of money, government and the institution of work distributed or employment.

In another forum, a poster named zhangmingzhao also said that the restriction of on immigration is a human rights violation but the greedy politicians in the forum attacked the poor guy for wanting freedom.

http://www.politicalforum.com/immigration/46116-checking-human-migration-human-rights-violation.html

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Theokhoth

That why's I support anarchist communism which supports the gradual abolition of money, government and the institution of work distributed or employment.

In another forum, a poster named zhangmingzhao also said that the restriction of on immigration is a human rights violation but the greedy politicians in the forum attacked the poor guy for wanting freedom.

http://www.politicalforum.com/immigration/46116-checking-human-migration-human-rights-violation.html

X4D

They probably attacked him because his position is absurd; with the systems of governments we currently have, just allowing anybody to walk in and settle in any country they want whenever they want is asinine, and his reasoning ("American troops can go whereve they want"? Wtf) is just pathetic.

And of course those greedy politicians backed up their position with facts.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

well said
dann14v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dann14v
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts

It goes something like this.

swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts

Do you plan on being a landscaper, janitor, or house cleaner?

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
[QUOTE="illegalimigrant"]How many americans work in the fields? I have not seen one my entire lifetime.Famiking
You don't need illegal immigrants to do that, legal ones are good enough.

Yes, But you can pay Illegal immigrants less money to do the same job. It's good business.
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts

Yep. Logically if they are in the US and they have a job they have taking an American job.:)

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Yes they do.
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hamstergeddon
Well here's what's up. With income taxes that a legal citizen would encounter, these jobs that illegal Mexicans hold as of now are barely profitable. The only way they are sustainable for an individual is if they aren't taxed, like with illegal immigrants. So illegal immigrants aren't taking our jobs because it is impossible for us (citizens) to hold the low paying jobs right now and still turn a profit because of the income tax.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
They don't take your jobs, they take A job. You aren't entitled to a job. Its not your god given right to have a certain job. It's up to the employer to find the person they find best for the job. So no, they don't take your jobs away, they take available jobs.
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hamstergeddon

Yep. Logically if they are in the US and they have a job they have taking an American job.:)

Godly_Cure
Gross over-simplification... the hallmark of all conservative "logical" arguments
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts

[QUOTE="Godly_Cure"]

hamstergeddon

Gross over-simplification... the hallmark of all conservative "logical" arguments

I'm not conservative in the least. Gross oversimplification.:)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

They don't take your jobs, they take A job. You aren't entitled to a job. Its not your god given right to have a certain job. It's up to the employer to find the person they find best for the job. So no, they don't take your jobs away, they take available jobs.II_Seraphim_II
Oh please. The employer gives a job to someone where they don't have to pay as much in wages, benefits, and taxes. And this is okay with you? I think the government should start fining those who employ illegally.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Godly_Cure"]

hamstergeddon

Hypocrisy at its finest. . .

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

How is this even debatable?

Person A = American

Person B = Illegal immigrant

Person A and Person B both apply for a job. Person B will work for less than minimum wage, Person A won't.

Person B is hired.

Person A can't get that job now = Person B took Person A's job. = Illegal immigrants take American's jobs.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]They don't take your jobs, they take A job. You aren't entitled to a job. Its not your god given right to have a certain job. It's up to the employer to find the person they find best for the job. So no, they don't take your jobs away, they take available jobs.LJS9502_basic

Oh please. The employer gives a job to someone where they don't have to pay as much in wages, benefits, and taxes. And this is okay with you? I think the government should start fining those who employ illegally.

Im just saying it like it is.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Sun_Tzu-
Well here's what's up. With income taxes that a legal citizen would encounter, these jobs that illegal Mexicans hold as of now are barely profitable. The only way they are sustainable for an individual is if they aren't taxed, like with illegal immigrants. So illegal immigrants aren't taking our jobs because it is impossible for us (citizens) to hold the low paying jobs right now and still turn a profit because of the income tax. hamstergeddon
What? The jobs that illegal immigrants take from legal residents are usually extremely low income jobs; i.e. they are not subject to an income tax.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]Well here's what's up. With income taxes that a legal citizen would encounter, these jobs that illegal Mexicans hold as of now are barely profitable. The only way they are sustainable for an individual is if they aren't taxed, like with illegal immigrants. So illegal immigrants aren't taking our jobs because it is impossible for us (citizens) to hold the low paying jobs right now and still turn a profit because of the income tax. -Sun_Tzu-
What? The jobs that illegal immigrants take from legal residents are usually extremely low income jobs; i.e. they are not subject to an income tax.

No. Just no. They are low paid because they are given to illegal immigrants. They would be required by law to pay minimum wage otherwise. They are only low paying because there is no legal recourse for illegals as there are for citizens.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]Well here's what's up. With income taxes that a legal citizen would encounter, these jobs that illegal Mexicans hold as of now are barely profitable. The only way they are sustainable for an individual is if they aren't taxed, like with illegal immigrants. So illegal immigrants aren't taking our jobs because it is impossible for us (citizens) to hold the low paying jobs right now and still turn a profit because of the income tax. LJS9502_basic

No. Just no. They are low paid because they are given to illegal immigrants. They would be required by law to pay minimum wage otherwise. They are only low paying because there is no legal recourse for illegals as there are for citizens.

Yes, I realize that. What I am saying is that if these jobs were held by legal residents receiving the minimum wage their income would virtually not be taxed at all.