Do I really need to pay for everything to "get" her?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

The girl I'm interested in even mentioned once that "guys should pay for everything sometimes" but I'm not sure if she was 100% serious given the situation (friendly banter after work).

Its embarrassing because to start off she's 2 years older than me (I'm 20), studies abroad and earns more than me. So that in itself is another problem.

I barely earn any money. The money I do earn is spent at the gym, paying off small fees, and the rest leisure (like REALLY small).

Generally people say (especially on the second date) that guys should pay for everything to let her know you aren't cheap or you're willing to sacrifice a little for her....

But I find that it's bull****. Okay as a friend maybe I should treat her out sometime but to actually "impress" her or to "get her attention" is complete horse****. If personality is what matters why should I pay for the dinner? What do you guys think?

hole2score

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 hole2score
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

I agree, thats bull. I suggest you charm her, y`know, be yourself. No need to pretend you have a lot of money and end up broke because of her. If she doesn`t like you, your personality, then just....move on. ;)

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
It's a tradition the females are keen to hold on to. Just take her places that aren't expensive or don't even require money. If it works out and you two are together, then you can get away with a bit more because she should understand you are poor and need your money for video games and whatnot. If she's too snobby and thinks she shouldn't ever have to pay for anything, she's a ***** and that should be enough for you to get over her.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

hole2score

This man knows his stuff.

Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

So let me get this straight, you want her but you dont want to pay for her meal or anything? I'm sorry man I dont even have a job and I always pay. Even a year later I don't make my girlfriend pay for anything

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

My girlfriend loves to dodge the payments heh, it's like when I go to buy something from a bakery and while I'm being served, she will jump in and say "oh and get me one of those Danish whirls!" So I add a Danish Whirl to the checkout and she sinks off into the background while I pay :P

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

I guess it depends on the woman... Some do like to be bribed.

So let me get this straight, you want her but you dont want to pay for her meal or anything? I'm sorry man I dont even have a job and I always pay. Even a year later I don't make my girlfriend pay for anything

gibson-les-rick

You make it sound like you're doing the right thing.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I say ignore every girl who thinks that the guy should pay for anything.
Avatar image for deactivated-604e6a43333e0
deactivated-604e6a43333e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-604e6a43333e0
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts

The girl I'm interested in even mentioned once that "guys should pay for everything sometimes" but I'm not sure if she was 100% serious given the situation (friendly banter after work).

Its embarrassing because to start off she's 2 years older than me (I'm 20), studies abroad and earns more than me. So that in itself is another problem.

I barely earn any money. The money I do earn is spent at the gym, paying off small fees, and the rest leisure (like REALLY small).

Generally people say (especially on the second date) that guys should pay for everything to let her know you aren't cheap or you're willing to sacrifice a little for her....

But I find that it's bull****. Okay as a friend maybe I should treat her out sometime but to actually "impress" her or to "get her attention" is complete horse****. If personality is what matters why should I pay for the dinner? What do you guys think?

lonewolf604
You shouldn't have to spend money to impress her, thats no foundation to build a meaningful relationship on. She should like you because of who you are, not what you can afford. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to treat your girlfriend every now and then but mine wouldn't let me pay for everything, she even takes a lot of convincing to let me pay for her drinks on a night out. I don't know the girl you're talking about and you said she might not have been 100% serious so I'm not going to judge her harshly but I know girls who share the 'guys should pay for everything' belief and none of them are worth the time of day.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lonewolf604

gibson-les-rick
See what I mean people? Its ingrained into this guys head, and most likely the majority of everyone else's. Do you have money saved up or ask your parents to pay? I'm literally holding on by a thread with my small salary. Maybe I have too much pride I don't know, but I just don't see the need to pay for the whole dinner just to impress her.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

[QUOTE="gibson-les-rick"]

lonewolf604

See what I mean people? Its ingrained into this guys head, and most likely the majority of everyone else's. Do you have money saved up or ask your parents to pay? I'm literally holding on by a thread with my small salary. Maybe I have too much pride I don't know, but I just don't see the need to pay for the whole dinner just to impress her.

Tap him for all he's worth, then when he's depth reaches around 25k in the minus dump him for someone new.

hole2score

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hole2score
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

lonewolf604

Like someone said before, buy her things that you can afford, relationship is based on feelings not on money, no need to go to a restaurant and buy, say, a flamed lobster for 700 $. Your romantic evening can be even in McDonald`s, its all about the mood.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

A relationship in which one is happy is rather more important than a relationship that conforms to societal expectations. If a woman doesn't want to go out with you on account of your refusal to pay for everything despite her making much more money than you, then that sounds like a relationship that would probably be doomed to failure from the get-go if it were allowed to go anywhere anyway. I would wager money that she's not going to get less demanding later.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i'm in the exact same situation,in fact i'm going to stop dating this girl i just dated for once.cause she acts like i've got to pay for everything and i'm not forrest gump.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

lonewolf604

There is no need whatsoever. Unless she is a shallow selfish ***** who only cares about your wallet. The interesting ones that actually think for themselves are more likely to be impresed by you if you don't pay her part.

Men have this idea that they should pay up for everything but the message you're sending is more "I, I'm a boring idiot and I'm trying to conquer you by bribing you, but in thruth I'm worthless".
In the past, when the man made all the money it made more than perfect sense. But today? Remember that whole feminism thing? In my opinion paying for everything is more of an insult than anything.

I'm not saying you should never pay. It's ok to pay sometimes. But she should do it sometimes to. It takes 2 to tango after all. If you keep paying but she refuses to, you love her far more than she does you.

Any girl with minimal self-worth will be more than ok with spliting. Don't be a tool.

Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

People are getting me wrong here, I don't say its the right thing, I like doing it and I love my girlfriend enough to do it. If you don't wanna pay thats your choice but it leaves a bad impression especially on a first date. I don't spend big either I spend within my means

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

People are getting me wrong here, I don't say its the right thing, I like doing it and I love my girlfriend enough to do it. If you don't wanna pay thats your choice but it leaves a bad impression especially on a first date. I don't spend big either I spend within my means

gibson-les-rick

It leaves a bad impression on women who believe that men ought to pay for everything no matter what, which may or may not be a bad thing. :P

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
Couples should take it in turns to pay for things. Some of my exes have been unemployed so it was up to me to pay if we wanted to go to the cinema or something which I didn't like. I don't like being pampered, I think the nicest thing anyone's got me was a coffee when I was really stressed about my exams. It didn't matter how much it cost; he knew that's exactly what I needed at the time without having to ask, and that meant a great deal to me :)
sambo2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 sambo2011
Member since 2006 • 411 Posts

If she is making you pay for anything then move on cause thats just not right at all. You should take turns in paying for things or go halves on things, but don't let her get away with you paying stuff, if thats what this relationship is built on then its not right.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

I think thats the old fashioned mind set

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

If she really loved you she would go half atleast ;)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

It fine to pay for them once in awhile but if a partner would tell me that I'm supposed to pay for everything for her because that's what we men are "supposed" to do, I'd tell her to go find herself a new man.

I ain't a ATM machine.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

For me... if it was my idea to go, I felt obligated to pay. If it was really her idea to go, and I just wasn't in the mood at all, I wouldn't feel obligated to pay at all, unless it was a large amount. In those cases, I'd just order something small. But yeah, there will probably be times you want to go, and times she wants to, so maybe you could decide on a case by case who should pay, and maybe how much you think you might've exceed the unspoken order limitation (i.e. an amount that would probably be uncomfortable for her).

Mr_Splosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mr_Splosher
Member since 2009 • 772 Posts
If she's one of those types then yes, you will.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I'm of the mindset that if I cannot take care of her not only financially but physically and spiritually, I do not yet deserve her. However, I am probably in the minority. This is not to say I like the idea of the female expecting such things. I'd give such things because of my love for her, not out of obligation or to impress her.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
I wouldn't feel comfortable with a guy trying to pay my way through everything, and my first reaction to it would be "Is this all he thinks he has to offer in a relationship?" I'd cut him loose tbh. Relationships require sharing and compromise. Later in in an established relationship I wouldn't feel so weird about myself or him picking up the tab all the time because I'd know what the person is like and their qualities. Early in a relationship though? No chance.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I leave you with this.

metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts

gibson-les-rick
That was one of the reasons I left my ex. She expected me to offer to pay for everything everytime so she could "politely decline".
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lonewolf604

For me... if it was my idea to go, I felt obligated to pay. If it was really her idea to go, and I just wasn't in the mood at all, I wouldn't feel obligated to pay at all, unless it was a large amount. In those cases, I'd just order something small. But yeah, there will probably be times you want to go, and times she wants to, so maybe you could decide on a case by case who should pay, and maybe how much you think you might've exceed the unspoken order limitation (i.e. an amount that would probably be uncomfortable for her).

LovePotionNo9
The time we went out it was constructed from both are ideas.
k16campbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 k16campbell
Member since 2008 • 660 Posts

You should spend at least a good amount of money. Before my gf and i started going out, i spent nearly $50 on her birthday present. it might not seem like a lot but i only knew her for about a month. She ended up dating someone else besides me after that though, but we remained close friends. About 4 and a half months ago i worked up the courage to ask her out. And she said yes. Funny thing is, we've never been on an expensive date. Here is what you do... just invite her over for a movie. Dates don't have to be expensive dinners or anything. Just invite her over for coffee and a movie. It works for me. Plus i save tons of money.

-Red-Cell-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Red-Cell-
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

Dont pay for her. The general rule I go by is, the one who invites, pays. If you invite her to dinner, you pay. If she invites you to dinner, or suggetsts it, she pays.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

I think she wasexagerating yeah. Us men should pay for most of the things but not everything.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

No you shouldn't just start asking her abour concepts such as equality, If she thinks women deserve it then you should make the argument that they should also have equal share in the bills...

mvzqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mvzqs
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts
She take my money, well I'm in need Yeah she's a triflin' friend indeed Oh she's a gold digger way over time That digs on me (She give me money) Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digger (When I'm in need) But she ain't messin' wit no broke, broke (She steal me money) Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digger (When I'm in need) But she ain't messin' wit no broke, broke(I gotta leave) Get down girl, go 'head get down (I gotta leave) Get down girl, go 'head get down (I gotta leave) Get down girl, go 'head get down (I gotta leave) Get down girl, go 'head
Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts
My current girlfriend is incredibly stubborn and tries to help pay in everything. I actually let her pay quite a lot and we try to keep it even on who pays. This is such a relief from my last ex. I spent so much money her it is not even funny. We had so much carry out food and I always had to pay for her meal along with mine.
Whatuptho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Whatuptho
Member since 2008 • 392 Posts

i offer to pay, whether im trying to get in her pants or not

just the way i was brought up i guess, and i dont mind doing it (im not rich or anything)

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I don't think guys should pay for everything sometimes, but I think they should organize everything sometimes. If it's a picnic to see a band play in the park and costs you nothing, whatever. Money isn't what matters. I'd be more surprised and pleased if a date were to be planned and all I had to do was be there or be ready to be picked up, and have the other person have planned everything. It's much more sacrificial to spend time planning out a great fun date than taking somebody to a snazzy restaurant and paying $80 for a salad and a water and draining your bank account for them.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
It's always polite and kind t pay for your girl friend. I wouldn't expect you to pay for everything once you started to date... But 75% of the time at least.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

If she likes you I'm sure she won't have a problem paying for some things.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I have never come across this, but if she expected me to pay for everything, to the curb she will be kicked soon enough.
STAR_Admiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 STAR_Admiral
Member since 2006 • 1119 Posts
This whole argument really depends what country you live in. Eastern europe, Italy- if you don't pay during the dating stage (as in before gf/bf stage), then you can just forget about having a descent looking girlfriend.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#44 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

If personality is what matters why should I pay for the dinner?lonewolf604

Because of what matters to the personality.

Pythos77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Pythos77
Member since 2005 • 889 Posts

Ok by now you should have gotten some practical advice but im going to say it anyways:

Mistake #1: Asking for girl advice on gamespot....you might as well go on **** and ask.

Mistake #2:Your in your 20 and you still dont know how to play the game with girls (dont worry lots of people dont, and the rules are always changing, and most likely you cant win because.If your succesfull the prize is always the same. And if your succesfull in a relationship then you get married=Game OVER)

Now for the little advice I can offer you based on my own experience. (note: Good Judgement comes form Experience, Experience comes from the use of Bad Judgement!!!)

#1. Have a relationship only with a girl that you genuinely like. This might seem obvious but trust me if Megan Fox all of a sudden becomes interested in you and you start going out, but then you notice shes really **** and stuck up and aside from looks theres not much else you like about her then guess what....

#2 Make sure you can be yourself around a girl. By this i dont mean to pick your nose and fartall the time while playing WOW and not having showeredfor over 24 hours.But hey if you like her she might as well like you.

#3 If you invite and its your idea...then you deffinitley pay. Dont bringup money issues like who pays until your in an established relationship and your absolutely sure your not being petty about it.

#4 This one is unlikely but it does happen every now and then but somehow I get the impression its not going to have this problem. Think 80's movie type girls who only fall for a dude because he has money or is all of a sudden popular. Yes there are some girls out there who just like to use guys and get them todrive heraround andpay for all her friends drinks and what not. These type of girls however tend to stick mostly to douche bags...One way to spot them through the use of ED Hardy or other sparkly t shirts and jeans or fake tans (jersey shore type)

#5 Be honest if your broke dont be ashamed just say it..but dont just blurt out "Im broke"

#6 If youre not broke dont be a cheapskate but dont be overly splendid, just stick to your budget (this one is very delicate, its the make it or break it, you master this step and your set for life.

#7 Half the population on the globe are female so there is bound to be one or two out there for you.

rolfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rolfboy
Member since 2006 • 1137 Posts
Simple, pay for her expenses because YOU personally want to, not because she's a woman. If a woman wants to be with you, she'll be more accomodating and nice towards you if you have clear expectations of behavior from her and are adamant in holding her to this behavior. Conversely, she won't really respect if you give her everything at the outset at her beck and call; she'll just take advantage of you while not conceding any emotional ground.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

It's personal choice, so no, you don't "have to". I pay for things more often than my girl, but I make significantly more right now so it's understandable. And she still offers to pay a lot of the times, which is good enough for me.

It's generally accepted that the guy treats the girl more often than the other way around. That's just how it is, like how women are expected to cook for men more often. You take the upsides and the downsides (make sure you're getting your benefits too ;) ). If you guys split every bill wherever you go, then that's pretty sad and a bit of a hassle.

edit: oh but when it comes for shopping, stay away (lol). You don't want to start paying for a woman's clothes and shoes and all that...

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

I would be upfront about it:

You: Listen babe I don't have the money

Her: Your body is enough darling

You: Girl why don't you meet me at my place? I Have cookies