Did God(Christian) broke some of the rules of the Ten Commandments?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#151 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="raynimrod"]

Absolutely not. That's called circular reasoning and it's a logical fallacy that no serious person would accept in a debate of any kind.

It's essentially like asking:

"How do you know the Bible is true?"

"Because the Bible says so".

Absolutely ludicrous - it has no place in a serious debate.

raynimrod

Like defining a word using the word in a definition right? The difference is, that as God is omnipotent , so far beyond what we know that we cannot even define Him correctly because we are simply humans. Now, as you may say, that's a load of bull, I will say that it's my faith. Some people need facts some just need a little faith.

I'm sorry, but when you engage in a debate, you must use facts - not faith. Telling the previous poster to learn how to debate your unfalsifiable, circular argument, or else not debate at all, is so rude and absurd I don't know what else to say.

In the real world, you need evidence. Faith has no place in a serious debate, and faith doesn't determine whether something is true. You can't use faith in your debate.

Yet no one can provide a fact to me. Yes yes if I am the one who believes then I have to prove etc..., but where are the facts to disprove what I believe. I agree, that was rude of me to say, "... don't debate at all..." Either way, Just as you may need facts from me to prove that God exists, I still need facts to be proven that He does not.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] So if a rapist rapes someone it's God's fault? Sounds like a cop out to blame God.lowkey254

If the rapist asked God permission to rape that person and God said he was cool with it, yeah.

I edited that last post. Anyway, to counter there's this thing called free will...

There is no free will if you believe in God.

How can God be omniscient, but we still have free will? It's completely contradictory.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 lowkey254

[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

If the rapist asked God permission to rape that person and God said he was cool with it, yeah.

raynimrod

I edited that last post. Anyway, to counter there's this thing called free will...

How can God be omniscient, but we still have free will? It's completely contradictory.

Please explain.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] Like defining a word using the word in a definition right? The difference is, that as God is omnipotent , so far beyond what we know that we cannot even define Him correctly because we are simply humans. Now, as you may say, that's a load of bull, I will say that it's my faith. Some people need facts some just need a little faith. lowkey254

I'm sorry, but when you engage in a debate, you must use facts - not faith. Telling the previous poster to learn how to debate your unfalsifiable, circular argument, or else not debate at all, is so rude and absurd I don't know what else to say.

In the real world, you need evidence. Faith has no place in a serious debate, and faith doesn't determine whether something is true. You can't use faith in your debate.

Yet no one can provide a fact to me. Yes yes if I am the one who believes then I have to prove etc..., but where are the facts to disprove what I believe. I agree, that was rude of me to say, "... don't debate at all..." Either way, Just as you may need facts from me to prove that God exists, I still need facts to be proven that He does not.

I don't have to prove that God doesn't exist. I've never even said that God doesn't exist - it's impossible for it to be proven.

However, you have made the extraordinary claim that God does in fact, exist. Therefore, it requires extraordinary evidence. You can't expect anybody to take you seriously if you make such a claim with no evidence to back it up. Again, this is the real world, where claims require evidence to prove they are true.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] I edited that last post. Anyway, to counter there's this thing called free will... lowkey254

Please explain.

Is God all-knowing? Does God know everything there is to know?

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 lowkey254

raynimrod

Please explain.

An explanation was asked for but I'll answer. Yes He is and Yes He does.
Superbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#157 Superbored
Member since 2008 • 1187 Posts

[QUOTE="Superbored"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] So if a rapist rapes someone it's God's fault? Sounds like a cop out to blame God. We can do whatever we want to on this Earth due to free will. God is not holding the reigns to you like a pupeteer.

lowkey254

No, but if God created that person and did nothing but watch while his own creation murdered your family, yes he is.

Once again, free will. We have choices to make in life and we will own up to them.

You're not getting me. Yes, we all have choices to make.

In this case, God's own decisions are being questioned.

God created Lucifer, there is no doubt in this. Lucifer brought plagues upon Job, but God did nothing to spare his faithful servant. God was well aware of Satan's intentions, but let him have his way anyway. To what? Prove a point? The blood of Job's family is on God's hands.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 lowkey254

[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="-Makaveli-"]

It is if he tells him to:

Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city. (Zechariah 14:1-2 NAB)

-Makaveli-

Yes and those who had done the ravishing will be held accountable for their wrong doings. God didn't say, ravish the women. Zechariah stated what will happen.

Oh, excuse me. I don't really have a bible in front of me. Just tell me when one of these happens to show up in red.

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you. (Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion." (Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)

They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil. (Judges 5:30 NAB)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Not one word spoken by God.
ForceFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 ForceFreeze
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts

[QUOTE="lowkey254"]

[QUOTE="Superbored"]

God is still ultimately responsible.

Superbored

So if a rapist rapes someone it's God's fault? Sounds like a cop out to blame God. We can do whatever we want to on this Earth due to free will. God is not holding the reigns to you like a pupeteer.

No, but if God created that person and did nothing but watch while his own creation murdered your family, yes he is.

In a way, you could argue that. However, it is worth noting that God did not stop the murders of Stephen, the prophets and some of the apostles. Bad things happen to good people in the bible, quite often in fact. Suffering on this earth is nothing compared to the splendours of heaven, meeting God face to face. Sin will ultimately be judged in the end days of the earth, so those actions will be accounted for.

Trials can be good for the soul.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

raynimrod

Personally, I hold to the belief that God is both sovereign over his creation and yet we as humans have a limited free will. This meaning we are held accountable for our actions though apart from God's direct involvement in our lives we have no inclination to seek after him by our own desire.

I hold to compatibilism - the idea that determinism and free will do not contradict. However, there are many Christians who are non-compatibilists and thus have an emphasis in determinism over free will or vise versa.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 lowkey254

[QUOTE="lowkey254"][QUOTE="Superbored"]

Superbored

Once again, free will. We have choices to make in life and we will own up to them.

You're not getting me. Yes, we all have choices to make.

In this case, God's own decisions are being questioned.

God created Lucifer, there is no doubt in this. Lucifer brought plagues upon Job, but God did nothing to spare his faithful servant. God was well aware of Satan's intentions, but let him have his way anyway. To what? Prove a point? The blood of Job's family is on God's hands.

3 things, satan and lucifer are two different beings. Second lucifer killed Job's family, but you're missing something. Heaven is where his family is. You see, this life is temporary, nothing that we see as important truly is important other than God's will and salvation. I'm not trying to get you or convert you in anyway, I'm sorry if you have that impression.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

I can't say I really agree with you here. You'll probably find that most atheists don't even mention or talk about religion, let alone debate about it. You might just be referring to those atheists (like me) who enjoy engaging in such arguments. Even if you're just referring to that group of people, I feel that any condescension starts making up for years of blatent patronisation by the religious who believe they have some devine knowledge and authority that non-believers lack. The ideas of religion are primitive, silly, and without evidence. I see no reason why they can't be justly and harshly criticised for what they are.

raynimrod

Yet you talk in a condescending way, and have intolerant views on Christianity yourself. Saying that it is "primitive" (assuming you are talking about Christianity) is an easy way to act as if just because it is an old text, that it is somehow "not advanced" for your hi tech world. Morals and human decency have no time rate.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#163 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

I can't say I really agree with you here. You'll probably find that most atheists don't even mention or talk about religion, let alone debate about it. You might just be referring to those atheists (like me) who enjoy engaging in such arguments. Even if you're just referring to that group of people, I feel that any condescension starts making up for years of blatent patronisation by the religious who believe they have some devine knowledge and authority that non-believers lack. The ideas of religion are primitive, silly, and without evidence. I see no reason why they can't be justly and harshly criticised for what they are.

gaming25

Yet you talk in a condescending way, and have intolerant views on Christianity yourself. Saying that it is "primitive" (assuming you are talking about Christianity) is an easy way to act as if just because it is an old text, that it is somehow "not advanced" for your hi tech world. Morals and human decency have no time rate.

How do you explain the glaring contradictions? As time passed, we know what is fact and what isn't
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#164 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Christians believe that God is perfect, so no, he wouldn't break his own laws.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] Please explain.lowkey254

I needed to confirm this before I provided my explanation.

Okay! God is all-knowing, he knows everything there is to know.

He knows:

1. Exactly what "choices" I will make throughout my life.

2. Exactly what actions I will think about and take.

3. Exactly where I will end up, how I will die, how my life will end.

If he knows all of this already, it's impossible for me to do anything other than what he already knows, otherwise he doesn't really know it. Therefore, it's impossible for there to be free will. What I do is already known by God - it has already been decided.

-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 -Makaveli-
Member since 2003 • 10222 Posts

[QUOTE="-Makaveli-"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] Yes and those who had done the ravishing will be held accountable for their wrong doings. God didn't say, ravish the women. Zechariah stated what will happen.lowkey254

Oh, excuse me. I don't really have a bible in front of me. Just tell me when one of these happens to show up in red.

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you. (Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion." (Deuteronomy 21:10-14 NAB)

They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil. (Judges 5:30 NAB)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Not one word spoken by God.

That's interesting. I did some research and I'm curious as to how you would respond to this selection:

First of all, in some passages God seems to tacitly sanction rape. In the Old Testament Moses encourages his men to use captured virgins for their own sexual pleasure, i.e. to rape them. After urging his men to kill the male captives and female captive who are not virgins he says: "But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves" (Numbers 31: 18). God then explicitly rewards Moses by urging him to distribute the spoils. He does not rebuke Moses or his men (Numbers 31: 25-27).

Source: http://misslink.org/chapel/askaminister/bible/rape.html

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"][QUOTE="funsohng"]This reminds me, if I'm a Christian and believe in evolution, would I burn in hell? Because I want to believe in evolution without burning in hell.raynimrod

No. I'm a Christian, I believe that the whole bible is the true and inspired word of God but I also study physics and believe the universe is 12.6 billion years old. When Genesis discusses creation it is not trying to give a logical, scientific account of what happened, but rather a poetic account the fact that God created the universe and how mankind came to have dominion over the Earth. That is how Christians throughout most of history have interpreted it actually. If you have more questions, I suggest you check out Biologos, I find it to be a great website. There are also a number of books on the subject I could recommend for you.

So you cherry-pick the parts of the Bible you want to believe? On what basis does that make sense?

It's actually interpreting the bible the way its meant to be interpreted.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 gaming25
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

How do you explain the glaring contradictions? As time passed, we know what is fact and what isn't

Tell me what you think are these "glaring" contradictions.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]No, the Law expresses the very character and nature of God. To say that he breaks his own law is to call him an inconstant liar and the very foundations for reality breaks down as nothing can be trusted. If God does not abide by his moral law then why do laws such as the Law of Gravity remain constant?mindstorm
Then how would you explain his actions?

God is God and is completely justified in his actions - all of them. Keep in mind that I as a Calvinist believe that all humanity is utterly depraved and deserve absolutely nothing but the infinite and just wrath of God. To ask, "Why does God allow suffering in the world?" or "Why does God kill in the Bible?" are wrong questions. Rather, it should be phrased, "Why would God in his grace allow even one sinner to breath his first breath?"

You tell me. In fact, what's the point of god giving us life on earth if heaven is so much better? If god is all knowing then that means everything here is fixed, so what's the point of free will?
-Makaveli-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 -Makaveli-
Member since 2003 • 10222 Posts

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] I edited that last post. Anyway, to counter there's this thing called free will... lowkey254

Please explain.

This is an interesting feature of omniscience. If God knows everything, and we assume hell exists, God knows from the moment you are born if you will go to hell. He also is perfectly aware of every situation which will mold you in such a manner that will lead you to go to hell. Therefore, once you were born, God's omniscience has pidgeonholed you into damnation.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

gaming25

I never said or suggested that I don't speak in a condescending way when talking about religion.

My comments are about all religion, not Christianity specifically. It's primitive in the sense that religion came about when we as a species was in a primitive form, with little or no knowledge of how the world worked. We needed to explain why the sun rose in the morning and set in the evening, why rain fell, why plants grew, etc. The ideas of religion, as I explicitly stated, are primitive. They have no place in a modern world where almost everything we know about can be scientifically explained without the need for a "God" or "creator".

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"] No. I'm a Christian, I believe that the whole bible is the true and inspired word of God but I also study physics and believe the universe is 12.6 billion years old. When Genesis discusses creation it is not trying to give a logical, scientific account of what happened, but rather a poetic account the fact that God created the universe and how mankind came to have dominion over the Earth. That is how Christians throughout most of history have interpreted it actually. If you have more questions, I suggest you check out Biologos, I find it to be a great website. There are also a number of books on the subject I could recommend for you. Acemaster27

So you cherry-pick the parts of the Bible you want to believe? On what basis does that make sense?

As determined by who?

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 lowkey254

raynimrod

He knows:

If he knows all of this already, it's impossible for me to do anything other than what he already knows, otherwise he doesn't really know it. Therefore, it's impossible for there to be free will. What I do is already known by God - it has already been decided.

It hasn't been decided, He hasn't said that you will do this or that, He just knows what you will do. You can do as you will but God still knows what you're going to do. I'm not running off or anything, but I need to hit the sack for work. Leave a counter message if you want to continue the debate.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

gaming25

I'll give you a basic one. The fact that the Earth is stated as flat. Do people still believe this? I think this has been proven as false.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] An explanation was asked for but I'll answer. Yes He is and Yes He does.lowkey254

He knows:

It hasn't been decided, He hasn't said that you will do this or that, He just knows what you will do. You can do as you will but God still knows what you're going to do.

But that makes no sense at all - can't you see that? If he knows what I will do, I can't do anything other than that. How do I have free will?

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 lowkey254

That's interesting. I did some research and I'm curious as to how you would respond to this selection:

First of all, in some passages God seems to tacitly sanction rape. In the Old Testament Moses encourages his men to use captured virgins for their own sexual pleasure, i.e. to rape them. After urging his men to kill the male captives and female captive who are not virgins he says: "But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves" (Numbers 31: 18). God then explicitly rewards Moses by urging him to distribute the spoils. He does not rebuke Moses or his men (Numbers 31: 25-27).

Source: http://misslink.org/chapel/askaminister/bible/rape.html

-Makaveli-

I would counter but your source did that already. I'm out. not to run but I have to be at work early in the morning.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Acemaster27

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"][QUOTE="raynimrod"]

raynimrod

As determined by who?

By careful study. By scholars and scholarly discussion. And most importantly, by the spirit-inspired reading of the Word.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#178 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] So if a rapist rapes someone it's God's fault? Sounds like a cop out to blame God.lowkey254

In any system of law in the world, God would be found guilty of being accessory to the rape in such a situation.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Exodus 20:14

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"] It's actually interpreting the bible the way its meant to be interpreted. Acemaster27

As determined by who?

By careful study. By scholars and scholarly discussion. And most importantly, by the spirit-inspired reading of the Word.

I fail to see how study of the text provides any insight on how the scriptures should be interpreted. You either believe what the Bible says or you don't. Anywhere in between is cherry-picking the bits you like, and the bits you don't. It's either the word of God, or it isn't.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 DroidPhysX

As determined by who?

raynimrod

I fail to see how study of the text provides any insight on how the scriptures should be interpreted. You either believe what the Bible says or you don't. Anywhere in between is cherry-picking the bits you like, and the bits you don't. It's either the word of God, or it isn't.

I'm liking how raynimrod is going on an absolute tear in this thread.:P

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Then how would you explain his actions?lonewolf604
God is God and is completely justified in his actions - all of them. Keep in mind that I as a Calvinist believe that all humanity is utterly depraved and deserve absolutely nothing but the infinite and just wrath of God. To ask, "Why does God allow suffering in the world?" or "Why does God kill in the Bible?" are wrong questions. Rather, it should be phrased, "Why would God in his grace allow even one sinner to breath his first breath?"

You tell me. In fact, what's the point of god giving us life on earth if heaven is so much better? If god is all knowing then that means everything here is fixed, so what's the point of free will?

First question: The benefit of heaven is that there is where God makes himself most clearly known and shown. That said, we once had that very thing here on earth by means of the Garden of Eden. God in his perfection is by very nature separate from the imperfect - what we had become. As such, this heavenless earth is the closest we can get to God without him first intervening (which he does through Jesus as he will one day return in a sense bringing heaven down to earth). Second question: Christians debate this but I can state what is agreed upon. Yes, God has a plan for the future and Scripture speaks of how those who accept him in faith have been "predestined before the foundations of the earth." However, God is not the author and director of sin and we are held accountable for our actions. The debate between Christians is how to explain this connection. Personally I agree with Saint Augustine and John Calvin on this issue - we are by nature sinful and against God by our very nature. However, God in his grace has predestined before the foundations of the world to call all to repentance but enabling the hearts of some to seek him. Many others hold to the idea that God gives all of us who are inherently sinful an "enabling grace" that allows us all to freely choose him or reject him as foreseen beforehand. Either answer is acceptable doctrine but, as stated, I hold to the former.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#183 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

As determined by who?

raynimrod

What does "believe what the Bible says" mean?

Jesus spoke in parables all the time. The point to every such story is not the factual portion of what happened within the story, but rather the message expressed through it. A story can have not factually occurred yet still be true.

ForceFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ForceFreeze
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts

He knows:

raynimrod

It hasn't been decided, He hasn't said that you will do this or that, He just knows what you will do. You can do as you will but God still knows what you're going to do.

But that makes no sense at all - can't you see that? If he knows what I will do, I can't do anything other than that. How do I have free will?

God knows a person's nature and thoughts more than said individual actually does himself. We have free will in the sense that we can believe anything we want, God can't force people to accept his invitation/message.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 gaming25
[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"]

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

I never said or suggested that I don't speak in a condescending way when talking about religion.

My comments are about all religion, not Christianity specifically. It's primitive in the sense that religion came about when we as a species was in a primitive form, with little or no knowledge of how the world worked. We needed to explain why the sun rose in the morning and set in the evening, why rain fell, why plants grew, etc. The ideas of religion, as I explicitly stated, are primitive. They have no place in a modern world where almost everything we know about can be scientifically explained without the need for a "God" or "creator".

I cant speak for all religions, I am a Christian. Christianity is not primitive at all. Christianity is not only about the reasons of science, but to have salvation, and love for one another.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 gaming25

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] How do you explain the glaring contradictions? As time passed, we know what is fact and what isn'tDroidPhysX

I'll give you a basic one. The fact that the Earth is stated as flat. Do people still believe this? I think this has been proven as false.

The Bible does not say that the earth is flat.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Acemaster27

raynimrod
Cherry-picking verses out of context is a worse butchering of the Bible. I don't cherry-pick, I do my best to interpret what the bible says. And the fact that the bible tells us the world is 6000 years old is a modern myth. That is not at all what the original writers of the bible intended for us to think or to use the bible for. It is absolutely true that God created the Universe, and that God created life. That is what genesis focuses on, not some quasi-scientific method of creation. The method is God, and that is all we really need to know. For those of us who are more inquisitive and discover methods like evolution or the big bang, then props to us for discovering something great about the universe. But it doesn't contradict what the bible is saying.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"] By careful study. By scholars and scholarly discussion. And most importantly, by the spirit-inspired reading of the Word.GabuEx

Jesus spoke in parables all the time. The point to every such story is not the factual portion of what happened within the story, but rather the message expressed through it. A story can have not factually occurred yet still be true.

That's the New Testament, not the whole Bible. If we're going to say that most of the New Testament comprises stories that may or may not have some element of truth in them, then I'm going to say that such a book has no place in a serious debate about religion. Again, it's either the word of God, or it's not.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] It hasn't been decided, He hasn't said that you will do this or that, He just knows what you will do. You can do as you will but God still knows what you're going to do. ForceFreeze

God knows a person's nature and thoughts more than said individual actually does himself. We have free will in the sense that we can believe anything we want, God can't force people to accept his invitation/message.

Then it's not free will or anything like it, just a delusion. Two completely different things.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"]

gaming25

I cant speak for all religions, I am a Christian. Christianity is not primitive at all. Christianity is not only about the reasons of science, but to have salvation, and love for one another.

Christianity and the ideas behind it are just as primitive and bizare as any other religion. Even if you want to believe that's what Christianity is all about, that doesn't make it true.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 mindstorm

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"] By careful study. By scholars and scholarly discussion. And most importantly, by the spirit-inspired reading of the Word.GabuEx

How's this sound? The original meaning and the intended message behind the text is true.

Such a statement takes into account genre and our inability to always interpret the text correctly. Basically, I hold to the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. As it is stated in this document: We affirm what Scripture says, God says.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#193 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

raynimrod

That's the New Testament, not the whole Bible. If we're going to say that most of the New Testament comprises stories that may or may not have some element of truth in them, then I'm going to say that such a book has no place in a serious debate about religion. Again, it's either the word of God, or it's not.

Why not? Can't the Word of God teach people using parables instead of just saying "do this, and this, and this". That would make quite the boring book, but the parables are what makes an engaging and beautiful book. Therefore, the messages the parables give are perfectly legitimate for religious debates. Just because the story may not be factual, doesn't mean the message can't be used in a religous debate.

Edit: Wow three posts basically saying the same thing :P

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 gaming25
[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="raynimrod"]

Christianity and the ideas behind it are just as primitive and bizare as any other religion. Even if you want to believe that's what Christianity is all about, that doesn't make it true.

Please state these so called "primitive" and "bizarre" parts of Christianity.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 raynimrod

Cherry-picking verses out of context is a worse butchering of the Bible. I don't cherry-pick, I do my best to interpret what the bible says. And the fact that the bible tells us the world is 6000 years old is a modern myth.Acemaster27

Essentially what you've just said is, you don't cherry-pick, but you interpret as you see fit. Some bits you'll take literally, others you'll take with a grain of salt. You're still left where you started - with contradictory, nonsensical text that you've moulded into meaning whatever you want it to mean to suit your needs. There's nothing true about your interpretation of Bible - it's completely subjective.

That is not at all what the original writers of the bible intended for us to think or to use the bible for.Acemaster27

You somehow know this.

It is absolutely true that God created the Universe, and that God created life. Acemaster27

Please provide some compelling evidence to back up such an extraordinary claim.

That is what genesis focuses on, not some quasi-scientific method of creation. The method is God, and that is all we really need to know. For those of us who are more inquisitive and discover methods like evolution or the big bang, then props to us for discovering something great about the universe. But it doesn't contradict what the bible is saying. Acemaster27

So now you're back to saying that what the Bible says is true? Why is what the Bible says true?

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Mario2007

Why not? Can't the Word of God teach people using parables instead of just saying "do this, and this, and this". That would make quite the boring book, but the parables are what makes an engaging and beautiful book. Therefore, the messages the parables give are perfectly legitimate for religious debates. Just because the story may not be factual, doesn't mean the message can't be used in a religous debate.

Absolutely it can't be used. Even if the book is now just a story or a book of poetry, there's nothing to suggest that it's true. How does a book of poetry or parables fit into a serious debate about religion and whether or not it's true?

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#197 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario2007"]

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

raynimrod

Absolutely it can't be used. Even if the book is now just a story or a book of poetry, there's nothing to suggest that it's true. How does a book of poetry or parables fit into a serious debate about religion and whether or not it's true?

Then what is your idea of a religious debate? I'm curious
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"] I cant speak for all religions, I am a Christian. Christianity is not primitive at all. Christianity is not only about the reasons of science, but to have salvation, and love for one another.gaming25

Please state these so called "primitive" and "bizarre" parts of Christianity.

The biggest primitive aspects are:

1. A "God" is still required to essentially explain how and why everything happens, despite there being scientific explanataions for pretty much everything.

2. The worship of unknown, unseen, all-powerful supreme being dates back to ancient man, again when humans lacked the mental capacity to apply science to the world.

Then there's things like Christianity being used to instill fear and control among the masses. The reward of Heaven for the obedient, and Hell for the rebelious. This is a very primitive method of control, but it worked well in ancient times when cinvilisations were still new.

Some bizare aspects include:

1. One of the biggest ones - Amazing contradictions with the idea of an omniscient and omnipotent God.

2. Free will (see above), the devil (see above), original sin (see above), evil (see above).

3. The idea of being the ever-watchful eye of some supreme dictator, every minute of every day, who knows what I think, what I do, cares what I do and how I do it. Punishes people for doing things he knew would already happen (see above). These idea is very bizare to me.

4. God would send his son (or himself) to Earth to die for our original sin that he created us with. That dying for us is somehow noble, and that He absolves us from our own responsibility for the things He chose for us to do. It's extremely bizare.

5. That God would exist and not blatently show himself to us. The all-knowing, all-powerful, all-perfect God, wants us to argue and debate his existence. Really weird.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="Mario2007"]Why not? Can't the Word of God teach people using parables instead of just saying "do this, and this, and this". That would make quite the boring book, but the parables are what makes an engaging and beautiful book. Therefore, the messages the parables give are perfectly legitimate for religious debates. Just because the story may not be factual, doesn't mean the message can't be used in a religous debate.

Mario2007

Then what is your idea of a religious debate? I'm curious

The person or people claiming a religion to be true, providing evidence of their extraordinary claims to someone who believes that such evidence doesn't exist and that religion is the fabrication of an ancident human mind. Then discussing it!

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Acemaster27
Raynimrod, making the choice that the correct interpretation of the bible is one which interprets every word literally is itself an assumption, and one that has not been held historically by the majority of Christians. Also, the bible is true because I believe it to be true. Its called faith. Faith isn't just saying "I think this belief is correct," but rather faith requires the believer to be convinced that their convictions are correct. If I could present you with convincing logical evidence that the God I believed in was true than believing in God wouldn't be faith.