Day of Paris Terrorist Attack, Obama sends 10,000 "Syrian Refugees" to New Orleans

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:
@GazaAli said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@dragonfly110:

I think we should stop taking in any refugees or immigrants until we improve conditions for American citizens first. One of the only points I agree with Republicans on.

In a perfect world, you'd be forced to take them all in; you made them.

US has a moral obligation to take in refugees. Should the US take them ALL in? No the US was not the only nation responsible but sure as hell should be taking in many because the US destabilized the entire region and created the chaos.

It seems you quoted me before the edit. Check my post again, we pretty much agree with one another.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Equating the refugees to the terrorists who attacked Paris is fucked up but not expected from certain people.

In any case 10,000 people being added to a country of 350,000,000 is nothing. Canada is taking in 25,000 by the end of the year and we have 10% of the US's population. Just more fear mongering garbage from the reich wing.

Of course its fear mongering. Like you said 10k is absolutely nothing compared to the overall number of people that have been displaced, and the US should be helping as we were a catalyst for the collapse of the region.

We have more to fear from home grown militias and separatists than refugees. People like Dylann Roof are more of a threat than your average refugee.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#53 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

@GazaAli said:
@RadecSupreme said:
@GazaAli said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@dragonfly110:

I think we should stop taking in any refugees or immigrants until we improve conditions for American citizens first. One of the only points I agree with Republicans on.

In a perfect world, you'd be forced to take them all in; you made them.

US has a moral obligation to take in refugees. Should the US take them ALL in? No the US was not the only nation responsible but sure as hell should be taking in many because the US destabilized the entire region and created the chaos.

It seems you quoted me before the edit. Check my post again, we pretty much agree with one another.

Understood

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

Conservatives ARE the problem. LOL Are you kidding me? They want to keep tax cutting the rich, waging more wars, and denying benefits to the veterans and the poor. According to them, tuition-free college and Universal healthcare is too expensive but they are willing to spent trillions in their pointless wars. They also want to keep trying to enforce their religious rules in the law taking us backwards socially and economically. Conservatives are also preventing and limiting people from voting and not one has called out Citizens United which allows corporations to donate unlimited amounts of money to political campaigns. GOP are the party of the rich and have done nothing to improve the lives of the rest of Americans. Conservatives ARE the problem.

Remind me again which party wants open borders and condemns anyone wanting security.

Of course the left condemns anyone hesitant in bringing these "refugees" into America and I ask you what is so wrong with being cautious?

Your "moral" obligation isn't worth a nickle. We do not have any obligation to provide for nor care for the entire world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

We have more to fear from home grown militias and separatists than refugees. People like Dylann Roof are more of a threat than your average refugee.

Yup. I've been saying this too and the FBI would agree with us. I'll go a step further and add that domestic terrorism is a bigger threat than terrorism from overseas.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GazaAli
@magicalclick said:

@GazaAli:

Well.... I don't know what nationality is and I don't know where you live. But, I will tell you. I am immigrant from Taiwan to USA. And as a real first Gen immigrant that has abysmal English (my English was below kindergarten), and still have pretty bad Engurish. I am doing fairly well in USA. And there are abundant mixture of real authentic Asian food that is even more authentic than what I can get in Taiwan. I am living and experiencing the American dream where immigrants can really have a future and a good life.

Obviously you are not included and I am happy you are not coming to USA. There is no point to come if you can't appreciate it.

still chuckling

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

@Solaryellow: Who the hell said anything about opening borders and condemning security? I am condemning hypocrisy and opportunism.

You're damn wrong about us not having a moral obligation. if we break something we fix it. We have to pay for our mistakes in the Middle East and for ruining the lives of millions of people. Accepting 10,000 people seems like a ripoff compared to the amount of damage we've done. We sacrificed their security and now we have EVERY obligation. Your selfish fear-mongering isn't going to convince anyone except right-wing opportunists.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

@Solaryellow: Who the hell said anything about opening borders and condemning security? I am condemning hypocrisy and opportunism.

You're damn wrong about us not having a moral obligation. if we break something we fix it. We have to pay for our mistakes in the Middle East and for ruining the lives of millions of people. Accepting 10,000 people seems like a ripoff compared to the amount of damage we've done. We sacrificed their security and now we have EVERY obligation. Your selfish fear-mongering isn't going to convince anyone except right-wing opportunists.

You blamed Conservatives for every issue under the sun yet one important issue today is open borders and an influx of Syrian refugees. It's the left who is destroying this nation from the inside out because you people have this idea that everyone should be welcomed here w/o question and any hesitation is grounds for condemnation.

The Middle East has been a forest fire long before you and I were even an idea in our parents long term plans. As much as I think our government is a joke, I can not blame it for everything. That region has been like a mosh pit at a supremacist concert. The left finds it easier to make others the responsible scapegoat, right?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@magicalclick:

Gaza has no idea about the U.S., he truly believes that it is a horrible place to live, I'd bet anything that he'd like it far better than he thinks if he were here, even the people are different from region to region, they come from all over the world, it's one of the largest and most beautiful countries in the world, and most areas are not even heavily populated. Beautiful expansive National Parks and Wildlife Reserves, some bigger than countries.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

None of the Paris attackers were Syrian (not yet, at least); in fact they were all European citizens. Hell, Syrians were killed by these people.

@AFBrat77 said:

@magicalclick:

Gaza has no idea about the U.S., he truly believes that it is a horrible place to live, I'd bet anything that he'd like it far better than he thinks if he were here, even the people are different from region to region, they come from all over the world, it's one of the largest and most beautiful countries in the world, and most areas are not even heavily populated. Beautiful expansive National Parks and Wildlife Reserves, some bigger than countries.

Pretty sure Ali was educated in the west for at least a year or so, but he can probably clear that up. As for your description, completely agree with it; the US is a great place to live.

However, our international policy has been pretty damn terrible for the past few decades, which makes us a legitimate target for criticism.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@AFBrat77:

I agree. USA is one big awesome nation. And I speak as first gen immigrant. And this country still runs on immigrant and American dreams. And the funny part is, because the citizens are getting spoiled, us first Gen immigrants can have so much more opportunities with our Engurish. If everyone in USA is smart and PHD, my immigrant American dream would die instantly.

The only annoying part is USA is still the best place. So, those rich people buy million dollar houses with cash. The house price got inflated and I can never compete with cash buyers. Oh well....

I have to agree. My wife's nephew (from the Philippines) is very smart in Math. He was so smart, the DoD took an interest in him and offered him a teaching job in a DoD secondary school. They expedited an immigrant visa for him and followed that up with US citizenship. They even helped him get his Master's and more recently, his PhD.

Besides, my nephew (in-law) above, I also sponsored a few more of my wife's relatives during the previous decade. They started out with minimum wage jobs. But, within 10 years, they were able to set up a managed-care business which is thriving, especially after winning a state contract. Of course, they were highly educated to begin with which made them able to recognize opportunities where it looked like there was none.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

Absolutely nothing! Our traditions and values do not and have not promoted vulnerability like we'll see by taking these people in.

Sounds like something Native Americans said once, lulz.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Equating the refugees to the terrorists who attacked Paris is fucked up but not expected from certain people.

In any case 10,000 people being added to a country of 350,000,000 is nothing. Canada is taking in 25,000 by the end of the year and we have 10% of the US's population. Just more fear mongering garbage from the reich wing.

Why yes because its not plausible at all to think that among thousands of people that there would be someone or a group that has other intentions for getting into the states. Lets not be completely naive here, heh?

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@xscrapzx said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Why yes because its not plausible at all to think that among thousands of people that there would be someone or a group that has other intentions for getting into the states. Lets not be completely naive here, heh?

Again, how many refugees have committed terrorists acts so far? Also how is it a justification to stop all refugees from entering the country?

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@xscrapzx said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Again, how many refugees have committed terrorists acts so far? Also how is it a justification to stop all refugees from entering the country?

OK and how many airliners before 2001 were purposely flown into skyscrapers? Just because it hasn't happen before doesn't mean it will never happen. If people are claiming that there are holes in the procedures on how refugees come through, don't ya think you should probably take a step back and say, "Hey, maybe we should put a halt on this and improve what we are doing before something bad happens." To just sit here with your head in the sand thinking, "Well it has never happened before, so come on in, nothing to see here." I mean that is just pure ignorance.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#70 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Of course its fear mongering. Like you said 10k is absolutely nothing compared to the overall number of people that have been displaced, and the US should be helping as we were a catalyst for the collapse of the region.

Loading Video...

Syrian girl doesn't like how the media portrays Syrians and puts all refugees in the "Syrian Refugee" basket.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

It's ok, New Orleans has went through more severe flooding before.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

We've been admitting Syrian refugees for almost 5 years at this point. I'm not concerned.

Anyone who wants more info can check out this write-up. It's pretty comprehensive and has numbers so some of you proles may get lost.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GazaAli

Just to clarify, the entire conservative narrative of "putting the admission of refugees on halt until we assess the situation" is the habitual pretense for aborting anything that doesn't align with the conservative worldview. It's of the same strain as "now is not the time to discuss gun control; it's the time to mourn". After all, filibustering is a right-wing lifestyle.

Considering the fact that the situation involves 10,000 refugees, and considering the reality that the U.S played a huge part in their exodus, the commotion is such a farce. Poor saps indeed.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 jun_aka_pekto
@commonfate said:

We've been admitting Syrian refugees for almost 5 years at this point. I'm not concerned.

Anyone who wants more info can check out this write-up. It's pretty comprehensive and has numbers so some of you proles may get lost.

That write up looks very similar to the way Vietnamese boat people were processed: housed in refugee centers abroad, 18-24 months processing time and security checks before being approved for relocation to another country. Standard operating procedure.

Perhaps where the confusion lies is with regard to where the refugee centers will be. It's where refugees wait until they are processed. Is it going to be within US borders or abroad?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GazaAli

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@commonfate said:

That write up looks very similar to the way Vietnamese boat people were processed: housed in refugee centers abroad, 18-24 months processing time and security checks before being approved for relocation to another country. Standard operating procedure.

Perhaps where the confusion lies is with regard to where the refugee centers will be. It's where refugees wait until they are processed. Is it going to be within US borders or abroad?

Turkey is slated to be such a sorting center, but for some reason, it refuses to cooperate and prefers for refugees to flood European borders.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@GazaAli said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@commonfate said:

Turkey is slated to be such a sorting center, but for some reason, it refuses to cooperate and prefers for refugees to flood European borders.

Maybe it's payback for some European countries who stonewalled every attempt by Turkey to join the EU in the past. I don't know. But, the Turks are a very proud people and they don't forget insults easily. It's a shame because some of the most honest people I've seen anywhere are the Turks.

Anyway, there are refugee camps there already. It would be best if the US send their processing crews (and aid) over there. Those refugees who do leave for the US would be a steady stream rather than a wave. Perhaps that would placate the hysterical ones.

Like what commonfate said, it's been happening for a few years now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#77 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@GazaAli said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@commonfate said:

Maybe it's payback for some European countries who stonewalled every attempt by Turkey to join the EU in the past. I don't know. But, the Turks are a very proud people and they don't forget insults easily. It's a shame because some of the most honest people I've seen anywhere are the Turks.

Anyway, there are refugee camps there already. It would be best if the US send their processing crews (and aid) over there. Those refugees who do leave for the US would be a steady stream rather than a wave. Perhaps that would placate the hysterical ones.

Like what commonfate said, it's been happening for a few years now.

Turkey have no place in the European union , not to mention their treatment of the Kurds and their strong religious beliefs are not combine-able with the EU.

But the "refugees" are not just coming in through Turkey, they are also coming to Lesbos and Greece.