Daily Show Not As Funny W/Out Writer John Oliver?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

I've always really liked the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I think the first ten to 15 minutes of that show were some of the best on television. Jon Stewart's bit about CNBC when everyone's 401k took a dive was one great example. Samantha Bee's arthouse-style lampoon of the "Morning Joe" and "The Five" Shows are also worth googling.

I've seen his send-offs of other employees before. They are emotional. Jon really likes his employees. Seth MacFarlane may point out that he doesn't like them enough to strike with them, but he likes them enough to call his show "A" Daily Show rather than "The" Daily Show when they were striking.

I think Jon knew that his show wasn't as funny when his writers were striking. No big deal. Neither was Bill Maher's show, which I also like a lot. However, Jon's send off of John Oliver was different. Seen here: http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/12/john-oliver-last-daily-show-jon-stewart/ It was a little more of an emotional "flank" move in that it was set up where Oliver doesn't see it coming. At one point, John Oliver looks nervous that he will be an emotional wreck on television. It felt a little more over the top. Yes, it felt like a heartfelt goodbye, but it also kind of felt like a punishment/a hazing for leaving.

I thought at the time that perhaps my impressions were born of my own hypersensitivity/creativity...seeing things that weren't really there, reading into things too much. Remember though, John Oliver was not just a performer on the show but a writer of the show. He also did a really good job of hosting when Jon Stewart was making a movie.

Now, the host of Last Week Tonight, John Oliver has 4 to 7 days to think of funny stuff for a show where as the Daily Show team has to come up with something nearly every (week)day. That being said I can see where keeping the Daily Show funny is more of a challenge.

With that caveat, I will say when I do get to see it John Oliver's new show is very funny. Sadly, I don't find the Daily Show as funny since John Oliver left. I think much of the excellent opening commentaries delivered by Jon Stewart -- who I still really like -- were written by employee John Oliver.

Any other fans of the Daily Show out there? Anyone else notice the comedy on the Daily Show and the opening commentary seems to focus more on Jon Stewart's delivery -- like a stand-up act -- whereas before it felt like more topical commentary? Anyone notice it is just maybe a little less funny these last few months?

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

It takes a special type of person to find Oliver funny. By special I mean people that aim left of Ted Kennedy.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I haven't notice any significant drop in quality since John Oliver left, as a matter of fact I don't remember when he left (I know he has his HBO show). I don't like any of the secondary acts, I just watch the opening with Jon and nothing else.

Just keep in mind that don't watch TDS consistently, more like here and there. Perhaps there has been a noticeable drop on day to day basis.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fire_Wa11

Speaking of funny, and speaking of Ted Kennedy. One of my favorite one-liners/true stories is when Ted Kennedy was still early in his career and running for office. He shook the hand of an aged coal-miner. After feeling a young Ted Kennedy's hand, this is what happened.

Old Coal Miner: "Jees. You haven't worked a day in your whole life have you?!"

Ted Kennedy: "Err...umm...no, I imagine I haven't."

Old Coal Miner: "Son, you haven't missed a goddamned thing."

LoL.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@DaBrainz said:

It takes a special type of person to find Oliver funny. By special I mean people that aim left of Ted Kennedy.

Don't have to agree with his politics to think he's funny

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@DaBrainz said:

This post makes no sense. People all over the political spectrum find Oliver funny and come on don't half ass it, list something that you felt he was wrong on.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

I don't notice any particular drop in quality, but I'm not the most regular (or critical) viewer.

But from the Youtube clips I've seen (I don't get HBO), I like John Oliver's show more. I don't know if that's 'cause it's simply 'better' in terms of talent, or because Oliver's essentially allowed to do whatever he likes and is more in-depth and incisive.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@DaBrainz said:

I think you have to be american to think something like that

But the drop in quality isn't because oliver is gone, the drop has been there a long time and i think Stewart has grow tired of doing the shows which seems more the case in all the breaks he takes , its almost more breaks than actual shows.

Which leads me to hope that Oliver will get to take over soon and bring this back, because during the time he was in charge and stewart wasn't there it was pretty high quality comedic news again.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_Live

Gee I wonder why? Stewart is disillusioned and disappointed with Obama. He has grown tired because he doesn't have the best foil, nothing like taking stabs at the POTUS. Not many college liberal airheads give a hoot about the Speaker of the House or the TP.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I got to goto taping of the daily show this week it was pretty awesome.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fire_Wa11

@AutoPilotOn said:

I got to goto taping of the daily show this week it was pretty awesome.

That is huge (not to mention timely and topical to the thread.)

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@Fire_Wa11: lol yea I thought so. I was there for the taping on the 5th. People asked him about Oliver.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Never felt like there was any noticeable drop in quality, and I watch pretty much every week.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@Master_Live: I think like Chris Matthews, Jon Stewart is looking for not just a good moderate leader but a ballsy pragmatist, that won't lower themselves to fluff from political opposition in congress just to get a vote in before the deadline. Last I've even remotely heard a POTUS demonstrate that level of control or intimidation is FDR and LBJ.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Master_Live

@platinumking320 said:

@Master_Live: I think like Chris Matthews, Jon Stewart is looking for not just a good moderate leader but a ballsy pragmatist, that won't lower themselves to fluff from political opposition in congress just to get a vote in before the deadline. Last I've even remotely heard a POTUS demonstrate that level of control or intimidation is FDR and LBJ.

So you (or Matthews/Stewart) want the POTUS to exert greater control or intimidation over Congress? How exactly would that work?

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@Master_Live: To me its situational. Its like a benevolent good king. They have room to make their land prosper and not get hampered by favoritism, and then just watch that power fall into the power of a selfish unrelenting brat when a good king dies.

Best one can hope for is that idiots aren't elected to the house, and senate and theres enough moderate, common sense personalities, getting to pass clean votes, but with all these "talking point bred and bought" blues and reds gerrymandering, and panhandling for campaign money, who knows where to start.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Got tired of the British anti gun rants. I watch comedy to laugh, unfortunately Stewart is quickly becoming the old man that bitches all day.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fire_Wa11

@PannicAtack said:

I don't notice any particular drop in quality, but I'm not the most regular (or critical) viewer.

But from the Youtube clips I've seen (I don't get HBO), I like John Oliver's show more. I don't know if that's 'cause it's simply 'better' in terms of talent, or because Oliver's essentially allowed to do whatever he likes and is more in-depth and incisive.

Oliver's show is quite good from what I've seen. And yes, he does go "in-depth and incisive". Part of why his SHOW is more "in-depth" as you put it might be due to the paid-cable and fewer-episode aspects. Part of why his show is good while Stewart, as I put it, may have gotten worse is because John Oliver, as you put it, IS "incisive."

.... but who put what with the what put, now?