Communism VS. Laissez-Faire Capitalism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts
Most people in this thread don't even understand what Laissez Faire Capitalism is before advocating it....hamstergeddon
I wish I had posted "Don't respond if you don't know what they are!" when I created the thread. There have been a couple of people that have came through with intelligent arguments supporting laissez faire capitalism over communism. But most of the responses have been built out of ignorance.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]Most people in this thread don't even understand what Laissez Faire Capitalism is before advocating it....Ace_WondersX
I wish I had posted "Don't respond if you don't know what they are!" when I created the thread. There have been a couple of people that have came through with intelligent arguments supporting laissez faire capitalism over communism. But most of the responses have been built out of ignorance.

But those are the fun ones to watch... :D

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#353 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
in Capitalism, nothing gets done, just look at the USA lol NICKKELANIUS
Even in our short history, the United States is probably the most accomplished nation that has ever existed.
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 Ace_WondersX
[QUOTE="NICKKELANIUS"]in Capitalism, nothing gets done, just look at the USA lol fidosim
Even in our short history, the United States is probably the most accomplished nation that has ever existed.

It was sarcasm I think.
Major_Commie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 Major_Commie
Member since 2009 • 186 Posts
[QUOTE="NICKKELANIUS"]in Capitalism, nothing gets done, just look at the USA lol fidosim

and its funny that so much of the progress happened after the progressive era
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#356 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Well that is a bit of a stretch looking down the line of civilizations for thousands of years, it depends entirely on what you would consider accomplished.. The United States furthermore did its largest growth under a mixed system with capitalist ideals under regulations and some control by the government.. Choosing one or the other would be like choosing either to live in a extremely cold or extremely hot climate, both sucks and a more temperate zone is far more wanted.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Well it appears that the "US propaganda" was right.

MagicMan4597
I'm talking about the propaganda about Democracy and Democratic countries being just, which you so easily deconstructed:

The problem with a democracy is that not everyone agrees on things, so actions are taken that aren't favored by certain groups. The people would begin to fight over who gets what. To prevent this, a totalitarian government forms to direct the actions of the government, effectively taking the government from the people.

or was this a slip on your part? did you only mean it in those nasty countries where the god given (American) whiff of patriotism is not present?
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="NICKKELANIUS"]in Capitalism, nothing gets done, just look at the USA lol Major_Commie

and its funny that so much of the progress happened after the progressive era

Oh, a lot happened before then. And certain aspects of the "progressive" era weren't quite as progressive as the name suggests.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="NICKKELANIUS"]in Capitalism, nothing gets done, just look at the USA lol sSubZerOo

Well that is a bit of a stretch looking down the line of civilizations for thousands of years, it depends entirely on what you would consider accomplished.. The United States furthermore did its largest growth under a mixed system with capitalist ideals under regulations and some control by the government.. Choosing one or the other would be like choosing either to live in a extremely cold or extremely hot climate, both sucks and a more temperate zone is far more wanted.

Yes, we have always had a mixed system. However, the poster I was responding to used the U.S. as an example of "capitalism" not being effective.
MagicMan4597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 MagicMan4597
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

[QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]Most people in this thread don't even understand what Laissez Faire Capitalism is before advocating it....Ace_WondersX

I understand them both just fine. The problem is that you see the ideology and the ideology alone. You do not see what happens when the ideology is put into practice. Communism has been tried and has failed, it's simple. LFC has been tried, has not been perfect, but has produced much better results than real world communism.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 Ace_WondersX

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"][QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]Most people in this thread don't even understand what Laissez Faire Capitalism is before advocating it....MagicMan4597

I understand them both just fine. The problem is that you see the ideology and the ideology alone. You do not see what happens when the ideology is put into practice. Communism has been tried and has failed, it's simple. LFC has been tried, has not been perfect, but has produced much better results than real world communism.

The ideology has never been put into practice. Mao knew he was going to be a dictator when he was telling everbody else that his regime was going to be communist. Lenin did too. You can't be a communist with the desire to be a dictator.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 Hewkii
[QUOTE="fidosim"] Even in our short history, the United States is probably the most accomplished nation that has ever existed.

and the British Empire displays the superiority of Mercantilism.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 fidosim
[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="fidosim"] Even in our short history, the United States is probably the most accomplished nation that has ever existed.

We tried our hand at it too, and did quite well. Even better than the Brits did, one could argue.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#364 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="Major_Commie"][QUOTE="fidosim"] Robbing someone of their ambitions and the fruits of their human faculties is just about the most inhumane thing human beings can do to one another.fidosim
no its not the most inhumane thing a person can do to another. but thats not really the point because you havent described communism

The goal is no material inequalities, is it not?

Incorrect. The goal is the ending of estranged labor and of the alienation of the worker from his product of labor.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="fidosim"] Even in our short history, the United States is probably the most accomplished nation that has ever existed.

We tried our hand at it too, and did quite well. Even better than the Brits did, one could argue.

I do believe Hewkii's post was sarcastic. The economic foreign policy of Mercantilism was falsified centuries ago. Trade benefits both nations, and there is most certainly NOT a limited amount of wealth in the world
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 Hewkii
We tried our hand at it too, and did quite well. Even better than the Brits did, one could argue.fidosim
yes, the resource rich colonies of Guam and the Philippines proved the American superiority at Mercantilism, as opposed to the pitiful British India.
MagicMan4597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 MagicMan4597

[QUOTE="MagicMan4597"]

Ace_WondersX

The ideology has never been put into practice. Mao knew he was going to be a dictator when he was telling everbody else that his regime was going to be communist. Lenin did too. You can't be a communist with the desire to be a dictator.

That's what they were trying to do when they took control of the country. But soon they saw the need for a more direct controller because if the economy was going to move at all, it needed someone to make decisions fast and forcefully. They needed leaders to direct the nation. It wasn't the way of the ideology, but the ideology's flaw is what created the dictatorships, because they needed one for the command economy to function (maybe not function efficiently, but at least function).

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 fidosim

[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="Major_Commie"] no its not the most inhumane thing a person can do to another. but thats not really the point because you havent described communismchessmaster1989

The goal is no material inequalities, is it not?

Incorrect. The goal is the ending of estranged labor and of the alienation of the worker from his product of labor.

You're way behind in this thread. :P
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]We tried our hand at it too, and did quite well. Even better than the Brits did, one could argue.Hewkii
yes, the resource rich colonies of Guam and the Philippines proved the American superiority at Mercantilism, as opposed to the pitiful British India.

If you only care about landed expansion, I can see why you'd be a fan of the British. However, that was not our emphasis nor the goal of our brand of expansion.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#370 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="fidosim"] The goal is no material inequalities, is it not?fidosim

You're way behind in this thread. :P

Sorry, I just flipped to a random page and didn't read the 15-odd pages following it. :P

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 Hewkii
If you only care about landed expansion, I can see why you'd be a fan of the British. However, that was not our emphasis nor the goal of our brand of expansion. fidosim
that is Mercantilism, hth.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 fidosim

that is Mercantilism, hth.Hewkii

You should edit the wikipedia article, then:

"Mercantilismis aneconomic theorythat holds the prosperity of a nation is dependent upon its supply ofcapital, and that theglobal volumeofinternational tradeis "unchangeable." Economic assets or capital, are represented bybullion(gold, silver, and trade value) held by the state, which is best increased through a positivebalance of tradewith other nations (exports minus imports) and assumes wealth and monetary assets are identical. Mercantilism suggests that the ruling government should advance these goals by playing aprotectionistrole in the economy; by encouraging exports and discouraging imports, notably through the use oftariffsandsubsidies.[1]"

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 Hewkii

fidosim
as should you, since

Thus, mercantilism held exports should be encouraged by the government and imports discouraged

is basically the opposite of what the US has done for basically ever.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]

Hewkii
as should you, since

Thus, mercantilism held exports should be encouraged by the government and imports discouraged

is basically the opposite of what the US has done for basically ever.

Not exactly. You used the likes of Guam and the Philippines as examples of American mercantilism. When we gained those islands, the U.S. had an overabundance of goods. We had more to export than we had foreign countries to offload it all on.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 Hewkii
Not exactly. You used the likes of Guam and the Philippines as examples of American mercantilism. When we gained those islands, the U.S. had an overabundance of goods. We had more to export than we had foreign countries to offload it all on.fidosim
I was being sarcastic since Guam is a desolate island in the middle of nowhere and the Philippines basically resisted American Imperialism for the entire time the US tried to control the island.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]Not exactly. You used the likes of Guam and the Philippines as examples of American mercantilism. When we gained those islands, the U.S. had an overabundance of goods. We had more to export than we had foreign countries to offload it all on.Hewkii
I was being sarcastic since Guam is a desolate island in the middle of nowhere and the Philippines basically resisted American Imperialism for the entire time the US tried to control the island.

Not true, friend. Aguinaldo led a brief resistance effort after the Spanish-American War, but after his capture the islands were pretty much pacified of any major resistance.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 Hewkii
[QUOTE="fidosim"] Not true, friend. Aguinaldo led a brief resistance effort after the Spanish-American War, but after his capture the islands were pretty much pacified of any major resistance.

well yeah, mainly because the Americans didn't really want the islands anyway and promised the Fillipinos independence in 1916 anyway. still doesn't change the fact that there weren't an 'overabundance' of goods because of these conquests.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 fidosim
well yeah, mainly because the Americans didn't really want the islands anyway and promised the Fillipinos independence in 1916 anyway.still doesn't change the fact that there weren't an 'overabundance' of goods because of these conquests.Hewkii
The conquests stemmed partially from the surplus of goods, not the other way around. And at the time of annexation, most Americans definitely did want the islands, as did the McKinley Administration.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 Hewkii
The conquests stemmed partially from the surplus of goods, not the other way around. And at the time of annexation, most Americans definitely did want the islands, as did the McKinley Administration.fidosim
most Americans also wanted to invade Iraq at the time. and really, this is the Iraq of the 20th Century, as even Teddy Roosevelt promised to make them fit for self-government after the fashion of really free nations, and he was the goddamn hawk in the White House.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]The conquests stemmed partially from the surplus of goods, not the other way around. And at the time of annexation, most Americans definitely did want the islands, as did the McKinley Administration.Hewkii
most Americans also wanted to invade Iraq at the time. and really, this is the Iraq of the 20th Century, as even Teddy Roosevelt promised to make them fit for self-government after the fashion of really free nations, and he was the goddamn hawk in the White House.

Exactly, as I argued earlier, the United States didn't want territorial expansion like the European powers did. Instead they wanted allies (or protectorates) to provide foreign markets for their surplus goods. If you want to make this thread about Iraq, and thus change the subject for the third time, be my guest. But i'm getting bored.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 Hewkii
[QUOTE="fidosim"] Exactly, as I argued earlier, the United States didn't want territorial expansion like the European powers did. Instead they wanted allies (or protectorates) to provide foreign markets for their surplus goods. If you want to make this thread about Iraq, and thus change the subject for the third time, be my guest. But i'm getting bored.

it was a modern parallel on the off chance that early 20th Century global politics may fly over some heads. and I doubt 'most Americans would have wanted the islands' as trade partners, instead of actual land. and this still doesn't change the fact that the US does not support exports more than imports at any time in its history.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 fidosim
[QUOTE="Hewkii"]it was a modern parallel on the off chance that early 20th Century global politics may fly over some heads. and I doubt 'most Americans would have wanted the islands' as trade partners, instead of actual land.

How did we end up with the Philippine Islands in the first place? The War with Spain. Why did we go to war with Spain? We wanted to free Cuba. Most Americans were not oblivious to the fact that we went into the war to liberate Cuba, and ended up controlling almost the entire Spanish colonial empire. Given also the United States' history of anti-colonialism, it is not farfetched at all to conclude that Americans didn't necessarily want a colonial empire like the Euros had.
and this still doesn't change the fact that the US does not support exports more than imports at any time in its history.Hewkii
Err, sure it does. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, we wanted to export our surplus goods to new markets. That's mercantilistic in nature.
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 Ace_WondersX

Ha, I think it's funny that this thread has changed from a debate of economic systems to a debate over American Mercantilism.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 Hewkii
How did we end up with the Philippine Islands in the first place? The War with Spain. Why did we go to war with Spain? We wanted to free Cuba. Most Americans were not oblivious to the fact that we went into the war to liberate Cuba, and ended up controlling almost the entire Spanish colonial empire. Given also the United States' history of anti-colonialism, it is not farfetched at all to conclude that Americans didn't necessarily want a colonial empire like the Euros had. fidosim
well yeah, except for previous attempts by the US to buy and, if necessary invade Cuba.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]How did we end up with the Philippine Islands in the first place? The War with Spain. Why did we go to war with Spain? We wanted to free Cuba. Most Americans were not oblivious to the fact that we went into the war to liberate Cuba, and ended up controlling almost the entire Spanish colonial empire. Given also the United States' history of anti-colonialism, it is not farfetched at all to conclude that Americans didn't necessarily want a colonial empire like the Euros had. Hewkii
well yeah, except for previous attempts by the US to buy and, if necessary invade Cuba.

Yes, because we were mercantilists, remember?
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#386 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

Ha, I think it's funny that this thread has changed from a debate of economic systems to a debate over American Mercantilism.

Ace_WondersX
That's what I was thinking. lol
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 Hewkii
Yes, because we were mercantilists, remember?fidosim
I think you missed the part where that deal was to annex and divide up Cuba into several states.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]Yes, because we were mercantilists, remember?Hewkii
I think you missed the part where that deal was to annex and divide up Cuba into several states.

No, no I didn't. We had always been trading partners with Cuba, and with the rest of Latin America.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 fidosim

Ace_WondersX
Before it became about Mercantilism Hewkii wanted it to be about how stupid we Republicans are. :P
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts
[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

Before it became about Mercantilism Hewkii wanted it to be about how stupid we Republicans are. :P

That would be more fun. At least then I could blatantly post pictures of Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck. :P
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 Hewkii
No, no I didn't. We had always been trading partners with Cuba, and with the rest of Latin America. fidosim
yeah, and?
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]No, no I didn't. We had always been trading partners with Cuba, and with the rest of Latin America. Hewkii
yeah, and?

Aaaannndd, by annexing the island we could trade with them as freely as we wanted, without the Spanish government getting in the way.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Hewkii

Aaaannndd, by annexing the island we could trade with them as freely as we wanted, without the Spanish government getting in the way.fidosim

that is literally the dumbest thing I've seen posted today.

do you know what a US state is? hint: it's not an 'independent trading partner'.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 fidosim

[QUOTE="fidosim"]Aaaannndd, by annexing the island we could trade with them as freely as we wanted, without the Spanish government getting in the way.Hewkii

that is literally the dumbest thing I've seen posted today.

do you know what a US state is? hint: it's not an 'independent trading partner'.

Oh, you're still trying to be condescending. How cute. But obtaining Cuba, whether as a state or as a protectorate, opened it up to American surplus goods.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 Hewkii
Oh, you're still trying to be condescending. How cute. But obtaining Cuba, whether as a state or as a protectorate, opened it up to American surplus goods.fidosim
and this is different from European Colonialism...?
MagicMan4597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 MagicMan4597

I'm really interested in seeing where this thread goes next.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]Oh, you're still trying to be condescending. How cute. But obtaining Cuba, whether as a state or as a protectorate, opened it up to American surplus goods.Hewkii

Wait, was the whole point of this Cuba spiel of yours aimed at "proving" that the U.S. has expanded territorially? You could have simply cited the Mexican War an an example. Or our annexation of Hawaii or the purchase of Alaska. Yes, the U.S. has never been completely opposed to expanding territorially. It simply didn't want to contruct an overseas empire based entirely off of landed expansion like those of Britain or Spain.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#398 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="fidosim"]Oh, you're still trying to be condescending. How cute. But obtaining Cuba, whether as a state or as a protectorate, opened it up to American surplus goods.Hewkii

European Colonialism is different in the fact that Europe manipulated the colonies to get goods and meterials and bring them back to Europe. For short, Europe used the local areas and tribes to get wealthy. Europe was the only beneficiary.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#399 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Oh now thats just interesting, and here I thought almost everyone on gamespot is a sould hater of communism, interesting to see it has 44%. I vote for communism.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 Hewkii
It simply didn't want to contruct an overseas empire based entirely off of landed expansion like those of Britain or Spain.fidosim
please define precisely what you mean by this. specifically, how does the British or Spanish imperialism differ from the American variety?