Che Guevara, was he good or bad? (Poll and Opinions!)

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

In your opinion was Che Guevara good or bad? In case you are unsure who I am talking about, I am sure you have seem him at least once in your life

I think he was pretty awesome, I mean he fought for justice for people who had no hope, peasents etc. People label him as a communist, but were his veiws not good at the time in a country that was so oppressed by others that its people had no real freedom? No one like him could ever get on TV at the time so he did the next best thing and hit the world slap bang in the face with force, yet still showing compassion and respect for those who had oppressed thousands for so long. Remember this was also a guy who spoke out against America at the time because he was so disgusted about the way black and other ethnic people were treated at the time...I think if we had more people like him we could have a damn pretty world right now.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I think like a lot of revolutionary dude's what they fought for, and what they did, did not necessary jive.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

He started out with great intentions (rise of the lower class, etc), but I heard in his last days he was kind of maniacal... don't know how true it is, but I heard he wanted Russia and Castro to nuke the US during the missle crisis.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i think these type of characters belong to the past,that way isn't working anymore.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

He was a nutjob.

Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

One piece of trash human being. Best thing he did was dieing

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

He oversaw the execution of hundreds of accused informants. In the interest of "revolutionary justice", he didn't bother with any of the little details like due process, proper trials, defense of the accused, etc.

Doesn't sound like a good guy to me.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 V4LENT1NE

Adrianstalker
How so? Standing up for civil rights? Over throwing a country from oppression? How was he a piece of trash?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Adrianstalker"]

V4LENT1NE

How so? Standing up for civil rights? Over throwing a country from oppression? How was he a piece of trash?

How did he stand up for civil rights? By completely ignoring them? Read the post above yours. He was an insane hypocrite.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 V4LENT1NE

He oversaw the execution of hundreds of accused informants. In the interest of "revolutionary justice", he didn't bother with any of the little details like due process, proper trials, defense of the accused, etc.

Oleg_Huzwog
I thought that was because he was posted at a prison or something like that? Lots of counts of him actually helping enemy soldiers with aid, letting people who didnt beleive in his cause just walk away etc.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Che was an authentic degenerate, a moral equivalent to Hitler Pol Pot, Stalin, Castro, Mugabe, and Saddam Hussein.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 V4LENT1NE

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="Adrianstalker"]

Theokhoth

How did he stand up for civil rights? By completely ignoring them? Read the post above yours. He was an insane hypocrite.

Just the speeches that he has done posted on the net, lots of mention of not wanting to work with US aid because he was so disgusted by how they treated black people.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] How so? Standing up for civil rights? Over throwing a country from oppression? How was he a piece of trash?V4LENT1NE

Just the speeches that he has done posted on the net, lots of mention of not wanting to work with US aid because he was so disgusted by how they treated black people.

Ooh, he made a nice speech. That completely makes him not insane. Hitler made some good speeches to; lots of "civil rights" and "good of the world" stuff in his writings.

He treated people WORSE than the US treated black people at that time! Just because he was "disgusted" by something bad does not change the fact that he was an evil bastard and a braying hypocritical jackass.

Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Adrianstalker

[QUOTE="Adrianstalker"]

V4LENT1NE

What Oleg said. Here is a hint, if you ever hanged somebody, you are not a nice person. Unless you hanged Che :P

Now seriously, he even killed a good old friend of him just because he was losing his faith in the "revolution" on the stigma of being a traitor

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts

Not a fan. He's incredibly romanticized by his followers to the point that I just say "do people actually know WHAT he did?" I won't get into the debate about it though, I'm just giving my 2 cents.

I get a kick out of people who have his name plastered all over their shirts, hats, book bags, bumper stickers, trapper keepers, etc, etc.

nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 nohabs
Member since 2004 • 10797 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

Bingo. Had he lived he would have been just another dictator in a God forsaken third world Country

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 V4LENT1NE

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Ooh, he made a nice speech. That completely makes him not insane. Hitler made some good speeches to; lots of "civil rights" and "good of the world" stuff in his writings.

He treated people WORSE than the US treated black people at that time! Just because he was "disgusted" by something bad does not change the fact that he was an evil bastard and a braying hypocritical jackass.

Totally agree with you on the speech thing to be honest, definatly doesnt make some of his actions any less shocking. Its strange that he did some messed up stuff, but then again did some really amazing beautiful things to.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Theokhoth

Not a fan. He's incredibly romanticized by his followers to the point that I just say "do people actually know WHAT he did?" I won't get into the debate about it though, I'm just giving my 2 cents.

I get a kick out of people who have his name plastered all over their shirts, hats, book bags, bumper stickers, trapper keepers, etc, etc.

InterpolWilco

I own this shirt.

Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Adrianstalker

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] Just the speeches that he has done posted on the net, lots of mention of not wanting to work with US aid because he was so disgusted by how they treated black people.V4LENT1NE

Totally agree with you on the speech thing to be honest, definatly doesnt make some of his actions any less shocking. Its strange that he did some messed up stuff, but then again did some really amazing beautiful things to.

What beautiful things?

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

InterpolWilco

Especially whites who wear Che attire, I can't even get upset anymore, I just point and laugh.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

[QUOTE="InterpolWilco"]

MarcusAntonius

Especially whites who wear Che attire, I can't even get upset anymore, I just point and laugh.

I duno. I know some folks who wear it for purely irony's sake.
tiiaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tiiaan
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
He and his ideas were good at first (just watch the movie "Diarios de motocicleta"), then after the whole cuba revolution thing he became a complete nutjob and murderer...
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 V4LENT1NE

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Adrianstalker

What beautiful things?

Well he was a great doctor and became a doctor with the sole purpose of helping those in poverty who didnt have healthcare. Although his actions are extreme he did manage to overthrough a goverment who oppressed its people for many years. Showed compassion and respect to people in need, as I said earlier to stop and help people along the way in his Bolivian campaign with medical assistance.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 V4LENT1NE

But lets not forget about the bad things, I dont wanna portray this man as a Saint because that isnt fair, like others have said although he had amazing beliefs at first some of those seem a bit lost along the way. He did order the execution of many thought to be traitors, a **** load even without a trial, he said that if Cuba had bombs in during the Cuban Missile crisis he would have fired them at the US, whether that was a chance to flex power or real intention who knows. Guess this is just the mystery behind the man, revolutionary who fought for the poor but also did questionable acts himself along the way, who knows aye? Keep the good and the bad coming folks, lets learn more about the man!

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts

I think we have often have the (very wrong) tendency to oversimplify historical figures squarely into a "good" and a "bad" camp. While I disagree with this in all forms, for some figures it tends to work better than others; Che however is certainly not one of them. On the one hand you have a genuinely ethically incorruptible person who would not compromise his ideals for anything, but then his methods were so often reprehensible to the outside observer that it becomes difficult to justify them. Obviously not having been in his situation, I don't believe we can pass completely fair judgement, but certain actions are difficult to justify under most any circumstance.

Would he have become a dictator? I doubt it, I don't think he had any interest in ruling; he turned down a major position in Fidel's government so that he could help other revolutionary movements abroad, which is yet another testament to his strength of character, but again this doesn't make up for the things he did, nor should it. He was above all, human. A very interesting human, but like anyone, possessed of both admirable and detestable traits. Hero, murderer; I don't think either label is very apt.

p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

He's a mixed bag. I'm not wearing a che shirt, but he was a pretty romantic guy. Not in what he did (cold-blooded murders), but in how he projected what he believed in. That's what made him famous I think. So basically he's a bad guy, but one of the most interesting bad guys out there. Like Darth Vader!

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#27 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Che was an authentic degenerate, a moral equivalent to Hitler Pol Pot, Stalin, Castro, Mugabe, and Saddam Hussein.

MarcusAntonius

I could not have said it better myself. I do think "murderer" is a valid label for Che. If we expect that term to hold up any objective meaning whatsoever, there is no other choice.

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
From what I've learned about him, I'm not fond.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 V4LENT1NE

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

m0zart

I could not have said it better myself. I do think "murderer" is a valid label for Che. If we expect that term to hold up any objective meaning whatsoever, there is no other choice.

No way can you put him in the same category as a Hitler or Hussein. He may have executed people but the fact is that a) someone had to do it and b) lot of those people were thought to be traitors/former Batista enforcers. But of course we cant really be certain of the circumstances, he showed way to many good traits to be classed s a murdering maniac like Hitler.

If you guys havent seen it btw I would reccommend watching the new movie called Che with Benicio Del Toro (spelling?), very good depiction of him, shows some of the good and bad parts to him, but all in all he seemed like someone who could have brought a lot of good to the world.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 m0zart

No way can you put him in the same category as a Hitler or Hussein. He may have executed people but the fact is that a) someone had to do it and b) lot of those people were thought to be traitors/former Batista enforcers. But of course we cant really be certain of the circumstances, he showed way to many good traits to be classed s a murdering maniac like Hitler.

If you guys havent seen it btw I would reccommend watching the new movie called Che with Benicio Del Toro (spelling?), very good depiction of him, shows some of the good and bad parts to him, but all in all he seemed like someone who could have brought a lot of good to the world.

V4LENT1NE

Eh I can and do. I believe if it hadn't been for his change of venue from Cuba to South America combined with his shortened life, his methods in the field would have translated into methods of Government. Certainly enough of his ruthless ethic carried over into most other parts of his life. In most cases, Che's ethic on the revolutionary battlefield practically mirrors the gruesome tactics of both Lenin and Stalin in their corresponding revolutionary fervor.

There just is no way to spin this stuff. The guy was a cold blooded murderer -- no amount of "good" or potential is going to overcome that.

As an aside, I saw "Che" in two separate sittings -- my verdict is that it is contrived nonsense that put WAY too much of Castro's shared guilt onto the back of Che and did very little to get inside of his character. It hasn't convinced me that I have misinterpreted his basic scruples, and it did nothing to alleviate my concerns about his crimes (quite the opposite, actually). If it had been a well-made script rather than a film equivalent of the pedantic grunge t-shirt we see on the streets, it might have attempted to at least help us understand how a man with so much potential could lose his marbles to such a grand degree, but it didn't even take us that far. Even if it had I doubt it would have changed my view on him. All I have to do in this case is judge that tree by its fruit.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Well, I have a t-shirt with him on it, so I guess he's not that bad.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 V4LENT1NE

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]

m0zart

Eh I can and do. I believe if it hadn't been for hisshortened life, his methods in the field would have translated into methods of Government. Certainly enough of his ruthless ethic carried over into most other parts of his life.In most cases, Che's ethic on the revolutionary battlefield practically mirrors the gruesometactics of both Lenin and Stalin in their corresponding revolutionary fervor.

There just is no way to spin this stuff. The guy was a cold blooded murderer -- no amount of "good" or potential is going to overcome that.

As an aside, I saw "Che" in two separate sittings --my verdict is that it iscontrived nonsense that put WAY too much of Castro's shared guilt onto the back of Che and did very little to get inside of his character. It hasn't convinced methat I have misinterpretedhis basic scruples, and it did nothing to alleviate my concerns about his crimes (quite the opposite, actually). If it had been a well-made movie rather than a film equivalent of the pedantic grunge t-shirt we see on the streets, it might have attempted to at least help us understand how a man with so much potential could lose his marbles to such a grand degree, but it didn't even take us that far. Even if it had I doubt it would have changed my view on him. All I have to do in this case is judge that tree by its fruit.

His methods in the field werent exactly bad though, he was a soldier at the end if the day. Yeah he was posted to perform executions but its not like he ran the battlefield like a mad man. He cared about what he was fighting for and had good reason, showed compassion towards his own side and the latter, whilst also aiding the poor on the way. I just cant justify why anyone could call him something like Hitler
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

The man's ideology and charity does not justify the violence and oppression he committed. Every time I see some dumb kid with a Che t-shirt on I laugh a little. It's like spitting on his grave to put his face on such a blatant capitalist symbol.

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

m0zart

Murder isn't always murder though. Is a soldier a murderer? Is someone who sends people to their deaths a murderer? Even an action such as murder which is so near universally abhorred, is not always the same in every circumstance.

You can't put Che in the same camp as Pol Pot, Hitler Stalin etc. because they are not like; every example you gave there was of national leaders, which Che wasn't, who employed means of institutional murder. Just like you wouldn't (I'd hope) put Ted Bundy and Robert Latimer in the same boat, you can't lump Che in with those guys. I don't say this because I like Che especially, but it just doesn't fit.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
he was good
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

_BlueDuck_

How/why the hell do you have a shirt of him and you don't even know what he did? Thats like wearing a Hitler shirt and saying "meh, don't know who this is, but the dude has a cool stache"

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
[QUOTE="taj7575"]

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

How/why the hell do you have a shirt of him and you don't even know what he did? Thats like wearing a Hitler shirt and saying "meh, don't know who this is, but the dude has a cool stache"

i have like 5. they were on sale.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

[QUOTE="taj7575"]

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

weezyfb

i have like 5. they were on sale.

Uhh, well in that case... Wear it backwards?

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 m0zart

His methods in the field werent exactly bad though, he was a soldier at the end if the day. Yeah he was posted to perform executions but its not like he ran the battlefield like a mad man. He cared about what he was fighting for and had good reason, showed compassion towards his own side and the latter, whilst also aiding the poor on the way. I just cant justify why anyone could call him something like HitlerV4LENT1NE

You're not the one doing it, so technically you don't have to justify it.

He wasn't just "posted to perform executions". He performed many ad hoc executions on his own. He was the guy who signed most death warrants in Castro's army and early regime. It was his habit to gather up large groups of people he suspected of being anti-revolutionary, interrogate them to an extreme degree, and then have them executed with or without confessions even for the half-hearted crimes he accused them of committing. Many of these were committing crimes no greater than owning property -- many more were the very peasants he claimed to be defending. He had mass executions of as many as 400 peasants at a time. Heck, in the first year alone, he executed thousands of people -- POST revolution people, in many cases for the most contrived of assocations. There simply IS NO WAY to spin his deeds and turn him intoa hero without turning many other monsters into heroes, including some of those we mentioned.

To me, things like this really come down to ethic, not just opportunity. Che left his post and went to fight other revolutions (more like spawn them in a very Leninist way, but I digress), but he was well on his track to becoming known as one of the greatest mass murderers in history. He doesn't deserve a merit bad for that, he deserves to be judged for the sociopathic ethic he held that made that kind of blood spillingpossible.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 V4LENT1NE

The man's ideology and charity does not justify the violence and oppression he committed. Every time I see some dumb kid with a Che t-shirt on I laugh a little. It's like spitting on his grave to put his face on such a blatant capitalist symbol.

Brendissimo35

Who exactly did he oppress? He executed people who were thought to be traitors and supporters of the old regime, You wanna talk about executing? What about dropping a nuclear bomb on innocent people like the US did with Hiroshima and Nagasaki? There were people there who didnt even want part in a war, so lets not make out that just because Che killed people the way he did makes him a total monstor, even the greats in history have endless blood on their hands.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 V4LENT1NE

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]His methods in the field werent exactly bad though, he was a soldier at the end if the day. Yeah he was posted to perform executions but its not like he ran the battlefield like a mad man. He cared about what he was fighting for and had good reason, showed compassion towards his own side and the latter, whilst also aiding the poor on the way. I just cant justify why anyone could call him something like Hitlerm0zart

You're not the one doing it, so technically you don't have to justify it.

He wasn't just "posted to perform executions". He performed many ad hoc executions on his own. He was the guy who signed most death warrants in Castro's army and early regime. It was his habit to gather up large groups of people he suspected of being anti-revolutionary, interrogate them to an extreme degree, and then have them executed with or without confessions even for the half-hearted crimes he accused them of committing. Many of these were committing crimes no greater than owning property -- many more were the very peasants he claimed to be defending. He had mass executions of as many as 400 peasants at a time. Heck, in the first year alone, he executed thousands of people -- POST revolution people, in many cases for the most contrived of assocations. There simply IS NO WAY to spin his deeds and turn him intoa hero without turning many other monsters into heroes, including some of those we mentioned.

To me, things like this really come down to ethic, not just opportunity. Che left his post and went to fight other revolutions (more like spawn them in a very Leninist way, but I digress), but he was well on his track to becoming known as one of the greatest mass murderers in history. He doesn't deserve a merit bad for that, he deserves to be judged for the sociopathic ethic he held that made that kind of blood spillingpossible.

Well written, I do actually see where you are coming from with that and its understandable. He definatly had a bit of hell raiser in him cant deny that, wish they never killed him on the spot like they did, could have probably learned a lot more if he was alive. But like someone said earlier, who knows what he would have been like had he gotten out of the situation.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
He's not someone I'm very fond of, although I find the myth and legacy surrounding him ever since his death interesting, and yet at the same time very annoying.
soldier-dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 soldier-dark
Member since 2005 • 5909 Posts
Didn't he kind of start killing quite randomly and brutally near the end of his life? Yeah, not really a fan of that dude...
rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 rabunzel
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts
are you kidding ? he's the best ,man!
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 V4LENT1NE
Didn't he kind of start killing quite randomly and brutally near the end of his life? Yeah, not really a fan of that dude...soldier-dark
Hmmm not sure, I mean I am mainly going from wiki and the movie here so I am no expert to be honest, never studied him in history either. But from what I know near the end of his life he was starting an uprising in Bolivia, not sure if he executed anyone in the later part, think that was mostly near the Cuban uprising againt the rebels then. Really dunno :P.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

taj7575

I bought it in Cuba, he's all the rage down there.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
He was terrific. He let clothing companies make a boatload settling T-shirts with his portrait on it to angst-filled teenagers and aging hippies.
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts

You realize most people's problem with the man isn't that he's a communist? I doubt very many people care about that at all, that's not even an issue.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

Adrianstalker

MarcusAntonius
You both speak the truth. I have nothing to add.
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
He was anything but good. He executed so many people who were anti- revolutionary. I still can't believe my AP European history teacher had a huge flag of him in his class like he's some kind of a hero. Makes me sick.