Can you drive a manual transmission/stick shift car?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3107 Posts
My current car is a manual and it's the only way to drive. I'm convinced that if more people had manual cars, there would be less distracted driving via texting, talking, putting on makeup, etc., as well as less collisions (people who drive sticks are better and more skilled drivers as well as being more aware). Even though I prefer manuals, dual clutch autos from Nissan (in the GT-R) and Porsche's PDK are mighty tempting...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Yes. I learned on an '85 Nissan pickup.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Nope. I wouldn't mind learning but I think that manual would be a pain in the ass while driving in the city.

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I learned how, but I grew up with automatics, so that's just what I'm used to. And living in the city, manuals can be a pain in the ass with all the shifting, so I think I'm good where I'm at. I suppose automatics do enable a higher degree of distracted driving, but let's blame the idiots doing those things, not the car. Those people probably make poor safety judgments elsewhere in life, I imagine.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Where I am, a lot of the distractions happen on freeways where there isn't much shifting of gears to do. My first three cars were manual transmission. I could just as easily distract myself once I engaged the cruise control.

-Toshy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 -Toshy-
Member since 2008 • 1376 Posts
Yeah. Though I still prefer automatic.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

kinda

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I drive a manual as well.  My last several cars have all been sticks.  I agree that as a rule, people who drive stick are more attentive and engaged in the driving experience (once they get past the hot dog teenager stage).  That leads to a better awareness of what's going on with their vehicle and the others on the road.  It seems like so many people take driving for granted, and just don't take it seriously enough.   

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I can drive a manual transmission vehicle.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Technically, but I've never driven one on a regular basis, just learned on one, so I'm still pretty jumpy.

My current car is a manual and it's the only way to drive. I'm convinced that if more people had manual cars, there would be less distracted driving via texting, talking, putting on makeup, etc., as well as less collisions (people who drive sticks are better and more skilled drivers as well as being more aware). Even though I prefer manuals, dual clutch autos from Nissan (in the GT-R) and Porsche's PDK are mighty tempting...GalvatronType_R

Ha!  I used to have a friend who drove a clutch and he would text, eat, and do half a dozen other things at the same time while driving.  Drove like a nut, too, even when he wasn't doing all that.  I do wish more people would drive stick, though.  More of a pure experience, and I heard American manufacturers might be getting rid of stick cars altogether in a few years.  

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
No But I'm really thinking I should learn
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
02 GTI 5sp 04 R32 6sp 08 Passat 6AT
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts
Yeah...I learned. But I have an automatic....better for the city.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Technically, but I've never driven one on a regular basis, just learned on one, so I'm still pretty jumpy.

[QUOTE="GalvatronType_R"]My current car is a manual and it's the only way to drive. I'm convinced that if more people had manual cars, there would be less distracted driving via texting, talking, putting on makeup, etc., as well as less collisions (people who drive sticks are better and more skilled drivers as well as being more aware). Even though I prefer manuals, dual clutch autos from Nissan (in the GT-R) and Porsche's PDK are mighty tempting...thegerg

Ha!  I used to have a friend who drove a clutch and he would text, eat, and do half a dozen other things at the same time while driving.  Drove like a nut, too, even when he wasn't doing all that.  I do wish more people would drive stick, though.  More of a pure experience, and I heard American manufacturers might be getting rid of stick cars altogether in a few years.  

He "drove a clutch"?

As in a car that has a clutch pedal, otherwise known as a manual.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Yes, and I agree that there would be less collisions if more people had to drive them. There would also be significantly less people on the road to begin with, as many people would be incapable of passing a test with a manual (not only are the testing standards higher, but many people can barely drive an automatic). Personally, I drive a 2012 Kia Rio 5 EX with the 6-speed sport-shift manumatic. It was a good deal, so I really couldn't pass it up just to have a manual.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto

Personally, I drive a 2012 Kia Rio 5 EX with the 6-speed sport-shift manumatic. It was a good deal, so I really couldn't pass it up just to have a manual.foxhound_fox

I forgot about that. My V6 Sonata has a Shiftronic in case I want to row the gears manually.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
I forgot about that. My V6 Sonata has a Shiftronic in case I want to row the gears manually. jun_aka_pekto
I love not having to worry about missing a gear. I can shift down when I need more power to pass, and don't have to rely on the automatic computer to decide when to kick in.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Manual is the way to go.

I agree that as a rule, people who drive stick are more attentive and engaged in the driving experience

hartsickdiscipl

Part of me wants to agree, but the other part of me thinks that the people who drive manuals are the sort of people who would have been better drivers anyway.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hartsickdiscipl

Manual is the way to go.

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

I agree that as a rule, people who drive stick are more attentive and engaged in the driving experience

coolbeans90

Part of me wants to agree, but the other part of me thinks that the people who drive manuals are the sort of people who would have been better drivers anyway.

That may be true.  I also think it's true that some people should be forced to drive stick so that they have to pay more attention.  

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#23 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I can. I hate it, though.

I still can't understand how people say it's less distracting.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hartsickdiscipl

BuryMe

The idea is that so many people on the roads aren't paying enough attention to their driving.  They're too casual about the whole thing.  When you're forced to shift your own gears, you have to be more alert.  

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#25 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

hartsickdiscipl

The idea is that so many people on the roads aren't paying enough attention to their driving.  They're too casual about the whole thing.  When you're forced to shift your own gears, you have to be more alert.  

When you drive a stick shift, you're forced to split your focus between the road and dealing with your gears.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

BuryMe

When you drive a stick shift, you're forced to split your focus between the road and dealing with your gears.

You're forced to engage in another driving-related task, which means that if you don't pay attention to your driving, your car won't go.  It's better to be engaged in more driving-related tasks, so you aren't doing other things or just plain bored.  Once you've driven stick for awhile, you don't lose any ability to concentrate on the road due to shifting gears.  It becomes almost second nature.  The other aspect of it is that typically people who like driving stick like the experience of driving more in general.  These are people who are more conscious of what's going on around them, because they are simply more engaged in the whole experience than someone who hops in their automatic car and uses it as a transportation appliance only.  It's a mindset issue.  

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Yes, but there are many who drive stick that are still terrible drivers. Being a skilled driver (on the track) is more about understanding the limits of your car.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hartsickdiscipl

Yes, but there are many who drive stick that are still terrible drivers. Being a skilled driver (on the track) is more about understanding the limits of your car.

PinkiePirate

It's good to know the limits of your car if you're driving on the road, too.  That doesn't mean that you have to test them regularly, but you should know them.  

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

hartsickdiscipl

That's not true, it's just one more of many little tasks that becomes automatic after you get used to it.  You do plenty of things with you feet and hands when you're driving that you don't even notice.  you don't notice your foot going from the gas to the brake, and after a while going to the clutch and shifting works the same way.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

theone86

That's not true, it's just one more of many little tasks that becomes automatic after you get used to it.  You do plenty of things with you feet and hands when you're driving that you don't even notice.  you don't notice your foot going from the gas to the brake, and after a while going to the clutch and shifting works the same way.

It is true.  You do get used to it, but you still have to perform those tasks.  They are still occupying your mind, whether consciously or subconsciously.  If you're a really engaged driver driving a manual, you still pay attention to all of those things, even though you don't necessarily have to.  Source- Me, from owning 7 manual transmission cars and over 10 years of driving.  

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

I've been driving them for the past 13 years. I can't stand driving automatics. They're boring to drive, and believe it or not, I get nervous driving them.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

hartsickdiscipl

It is true.  You do get used to it, but you still have to perform those tasks.  They are still occupying your mind, whether consciously or subconsciously.  If you're a really engaged driver driving a manual, you still pay attention to all of those things, even though you don't necessarily have to.  Source- Me, from owning 7 manual transmission cars and over 10 years of driving.  

Ooh, anecdotal evidence, just slightly more convincing than a testimonial from Xenu.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I'm sure I could figure it out clunkily in an emergency but I'm not good at it at all. I drive an automatic and see no reason to have a manual for anything I'd use a vehicle for.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Yes, though I do not think it is a big deal. I get somewhat turned off by people going around telling everyone about it as if it is some fundamental part of their identity (I am not saying you are doing this, TC).
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
Never driven a manual car, don't need another annoying thing to keep paying attention to while im driving that adds practically no benefits.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Mine has transmission and auto, it's kinda weird.

No I can't, was learning, but need more practice.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

didn't know there were people who drive that had not been taught how to use manual transmission.wtf?

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

didn't know there were people who drive that had not been taught how to use manual transmission.wtf?

VaguelyTagged
Why should you learn manual if you are just going to drive autos?
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#39 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Yes live in the UK most of us drive manual over an automatic. But then we are pretty much more skilled in everything which the Tennis just proved. They been putting stuff in our milk we turning into Goddamn superfreaks going to leap into the air and rip your drones apart then scrumple them up in a heap and throw them back at you.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

Person0
Why should you learn manual if you are just going to drive autos?

always thought it was one the basics of driving a car.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Of course. I don't know many who can't.

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
I drive a manual Suzuki Swift 06 though I hope to make enough money one day to buy an automatic.
PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

All of this won't matter eventually. Electric drivetrains give you much more control over your torque and speed. You can bring the car to a complete stop without even touching the brake. All with one gear.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I can drive a manual. If I couldn't I wouldn't be able to drive 99% of cars here. Plus people would think you're a bit of a wuss if you couldn't drive a manual.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

i try not to drive at all.

though i can drive stick.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jun_aka_pekto

I've been driving them for the past 13 years. I can't stand driving automatics. They're boring to drive, and believe it or not, I get nervous driving them.

RoslindaleOne

All cars are boring to drive if all you're doing is putt-putting around city streets. The only time I found M/T cars fun is when I was up climbing up the mountains disregarding the speed limit or exploring the upper limits of the car. Either way is a good way to get killed.

There's nothing fun about rowing gears in city traffic going 30-40 mph or slower. Perhaps, it was nice back when I was a teen and driving was still a novelty to me. That wore off after a few months.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Sure I can.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I only drive a manual transmission. An auto box is the lazy mans way of driving and lets be honest, its not really even drivin is it when all u do is get into the car put it into D and press a pedal to go, im sure even my 6 yr old niece could manage that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 foxhound_fox

All of this won't matter eventually. Electric drivetrains give you much more control over your torque and speed. You can bring the car to a complete stop without even touching the brake. All with one gear.

PinkiePirate
Electric cars are not the future. Electric-hybrid (alternatives fuels) are. Battery technology, unless we have some super-revolution in battery efficiency/size/capacity that makes one car-sized battery store a week's worth of charge, and provide enough power to pull an 80,000lb load (on the road) will never take over the market. Making biodiesel and other alt fuels more cost-efficient will be the short term goal. Hydrogen is the long term goal. Pulling energy from the grid will never be better than a fuel you replace in a motorized vehicle. Tesla is a single company that isn't making any inroads on the auto industry besides novelty.