Can I ever live a normal life?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#51 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'd suggest getting a job. You'll get out of the house, meet some people, earn an income, be able to buy some stuff, and feel like you're a productive member of society.

And you're 17. You've got a few years to decide if you like working at your job, or if not, then you can go to college. Sometimes doing a job you don't like can really focus your mind on deciding what you'd rather be doing.

As a last resort, you could even join the military or something. That'll force you out of your shell and out of your basement.

And if you've got soem sort of anxiety disorder, go to a doctor and get on some medication. For god's sake man, don't shut yourself away for the rest of your life because of a single doctor's appointment you never made. A lot of medicines they've got nowadays can really help a lot. Huge numbers of people are on those various med's.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#52 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Your not a loser, but you just need some guidance or a little push. I suggest either finding a part time job (although that is hard in this economy) or going ot school. There is nothing abnormal about your life, your 17 your fine. Just get out more, if you have soical phobia and you feel it's a legitment issue than I suggest getting hold ofsomeone who can help you overcome that, like see a counselor or something. You'll be fine, oh and you say you NEVER talked to a girl before? I find that unlikely.....besides what are they going to do to you? They arn't going to attack you if you say hi to them lol.

In short just go to college or find a job or something, you just need to stop feeling bad about yourself and realise your a great person and needs to get out there a little more. You just need to feel better about yourself and push yourself a bit, that's it. Your fine.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

You're only 17? That is when my life turned around. You need to get out of the house, out of your comfort zone, and out with women. You need to party and get loose and learn to relax and everything will turn around. You are only 17, you got plenty of time. Start now and you will be golden. Sign up for school, go from there.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
One day you gonna wish you have the time to sit down enjoy playing video games.. life can be pretty busy for most of us, work all day no time to play, school all day no time to play.
Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

dude, I can safely say not going to college is pretty much the worst possible choice you can make in your life, no wonder you consider yourself unproductive.

parkurtommo

I disagree. College isn't for everyone.

Well then, those who don't think college is for them are doomed, they're gonna be stuck with simple, sad lives.

like my brother? who didnt go to college and loved every second of it?

he chose a trade school instead, for commercial diving. college really isnt for everyone

LuxInferior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LuxInferior
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts

Try and find a community you can fit into maybe? Thats an easy way to find like-minded people. Just don't make up stuff to try and impress other people, or be intimidated by how well they might be doing, they have their own life and you have yours. If you actually looked into someone elses life, it probably wouldn't be as impressive as you think, seriously.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
I saw excuses. Maybe your biggest problem. Do you know how some people become homeless? People sitting in situations like yourself, thinking you have the support/time of the world to take your damn sweet time. House fire, car wreck, or many in between can rob you of that free board and family support if they all died. Suddenly you got no choice, but you got no support under your feet. You really got nothing then, unlike now, but whatcha gonna do then? Make more excuses? Holy heck man. You got people supporting your freeloading butt. Go join a damn volunteer program to help people, for FREE, and maybe meet some honest people and expand yourself. Or get a job perhaps. Any, job. You. Can. Still. Go. To College. At. 20. So go "do something" if you got no idea what you wanna do and see what excites you or interests you. That is what everyone has to do. Experience something to know if they wanna do it. Take ahold of your life at 17 now instead of being 27 and realizing you still haven't.
r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#58 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

dude, I can safely say not going to college is pretty much the worst possible choice you can make in your life, no wonder you consider yourself unproductive.

parkurtommo

I disagree. College isn't for everyone.

Well then, those who don't think college is for them are doomed, they're gonna be stuck with simple, sad lives.

I have friends who just don't like the competitive nature of college. They didn't go through it, and I wouldn't call their lives simple or sad. Such a narrow minded view might be considered sad and simple, however.

And to the TC: thinking you have no social interaction skills will only bring you down further. Just jump out there and get involved in whatever you can get involved in. Don't worry about how well you fare around others. Just do it.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Get out the basement and do something productive. Easy as pie.

lexika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 lexika
Member since 2009 • 873 Posts
Honestly, I'm kind of the same except I'm still in school. In my last year of high school and things pretty much look like they're going nowhere. Just always look at the bright side of things and refuse to feel the negative feelings. That's how I get by for now. :)
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

The best thing you can do is talk to someone who is trained to help you. Getting a therapist or psychiatrist could help you make that change you need in your life and there is nothing embarrassing about getting help. We could ALL benefit from talking with someone who is equipped to help us with our problems. I can only tell you to act now and not wait. The older you get, the more difficult it will be to change. You can change and become the "you" that you think you should be:) You just need a little guidance.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

When I was out of high school and not going to college, I got that a lot but I ignored them and stayed focused on my interests. In hindsight, the people saying that were probably doing it for my interests. Tough-love, I guess. Kind of an incompetent way to go about it, though. Btw, most everyone has social skills. If not, you wouldn't be able to speak/write. i.e. you wouldn't even be able to talk online to strangers.

SoSadLife

Its not as easy to simply interact with people in my case. Because it has always seemed to me that the only way to gain acceptance and respect from people is by being a jerk. I am constantly living that bad day in my mind in which everything goes wrong and you just wanna stay away from people and touble (Social Anxiety disorder I suppose) which is basiclly losing your personality.

I do act confident, but, lets say if I were to have this convo right in front of you face to face, there is just simply no way in hell I would be able to speak to you other than a simple Hi or hello and maybe a smile from my part which I have come to understand is simply a big turn off and a big sign to stay away.

This is the reason on why I am only confined to a small group of friends.

Jesus christ, you're 17, it's just a phase. The whole social awkwardness stage has happened to me and a tons of people and I've pretty much gotten over it. There are a million ways to fix this kind of issue, really.

Let me ask you something, do you have problems talking to a cashier even?

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#64 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

6 months in a basement. Oh well. People have spent 20 years in prison and lived normal lives afterwords. Get a grip and move out of that basement. Do what you're afraid to do and I promise you that you'll benifit from it.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

Hey, I'm several years older than you and am in college now suffering pretty much the same problems, probably worse, after looking at some information online, Avoidant personality disorder best describe my situation. You should still try to be happy though, we have a right to be here, like everyone else, and to try to live a happy and (hopefullly) productive life. Sometimes try your best to not over analyze everything, think big of yourself, but think little of what others may think, try to be confident.

Going to college in not that hard, if you don't want to be constantly interacting with people, there're plenty of science majors that doesn't involve too much of that, maybe it's a good idea to volunteer in the student community, maybe starting at a position that doesn't involve too much working with others, or maybe volunteer elsewhere in the community, if you find finding a actual job to be mentally challenging, like me:( But I guess one step at a time, it's hard enough to survive already it's harder to actually enjoy yourself while doing it, at least I feel that way. But still, many failed attempt would eventually lead to a way of life you're relatively comfortable with, better than doing nothing , I no longer hope to conquer my problem these days, but I try to live around it, understanding that it's something I'll have to face for the rest of my life. Wish you all the best:)

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

[QUOTE="SoSadLife"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

When I was out of high school and not going to college, I got that a lot but I ignored them and stayed focused on my interests. In hindsight, the people saying that were probably doing it for my interests. Tough-love, I guess. Kind of an incompetent way to go about it, though. Btw, most everyone has social skills. If not, you wouldn't be able to speak/write. i.e. you wouldn't even be able to talk online to strangers.

greenskittles

Its not as easy to simply interact with people in my case. Because it has always seemed to me that the only way to gain acceptance and respect from people is by being a jerk. I am constantly living that bad day in my mind in which everything goes wrong and you just wanna stay away from people and touble (Social Anxiety disorder I suppose) which is basiclly losing your personality.

I do act confident, but, lets say if I were to have this convo right in front of you face to face, there is just simply no way in hell I would be able to speak to you other than a simple Hi or hello and maybe a smile from my part which I have come to understand is simply a big turn off and a big sign to stay away.

Jesus christ, you're 17, it's just a phase. The whole social awkwardness stage has happened to me and a million people and I've pretty much gotten over it. There are a million ways to fix this kind of issue, really.

May or may not be a phase, for me, it's like something ingrained with my soul since I was born, I was never ever a functional unit of the society, even though I want to be.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

[QUOTE="SoSadLife"]

Ncsoftlover

Jesus christ, you're 17, it's just a phase. The whole social awkwardness stage has happened to me and a million people and I've pretty much gotten over it. There are a million ways to fix this kind of issue, really.

May or may not be a phase, for me, it's like something ingrained with my soul since I was born, I was never ever a functional unit of the society, even though I want to be.

Listen, I've always felt like a bit of a outcast, even in my own family. Yet I still, truly, truly believe it's something that can be improved upon. I was as a 16 year old, probably at my worst stage in terms of how I felt about myself and my interaction with others. At 19 I have almost no problem, with talking to people. It's a mindset issue, it really is, like I said, it's something that can receive improvments if you look at the right avenues. Just don't settle for medicocrity, if your only ok at something than why not try to be really good at it?

FUloin33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 FUloin33
Member since 2011 • 477 Posts

well, all you gotta do is just start talking to more people, start going out a little more at a time, and you'll be living a normal life in no time im sure :)

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts
[QUOTE="lancea34"]

Asking for advice on how to improve your social skills ON THE INTERNET pretty much confirms your condition is incurable.

CaptainAhab13
What else would you suggest for seeking help if he's indoors most of the time?

He could seek help from family and relatives. He also said he had REAL friends. Who better to ask advice from than friends and/or family?
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

parkurtommo

This is thoroughly untrue. Some people don't fit well into the college education, and for some people it isn't worth the money. Some people are spending thousands upon thousands for a degree that doesn't mean ****. Degrees are becoming less and less worth it because they let pretty much anything and everything walk through their doors.

This makes your career choice extremely important these days. So no, not going to college isn't a horrible life choice. While some people reach farther and farther into debt you could be gaining experience (experience > degree) and money.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

[QUOTE="Nude_Dude"]I smell toke jopicSoSadLife

Why would this be a joke topic? Im not even slightly joking about this.

I don't understand how people think.

:) Hey man, how's that dog of yours? I heard it died or something, but your friends likes shooting stray cats, so everything will be all right.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I think Uncle Sam needs to give you a quick boot the ass to fix your "problems" Best way to see various places around the world and on my money so its win-win to you.
SoSadLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SoSadLife
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts

Jesus christ, you're 17, it's just a phase. The whole social awkwardness stage has happened to me and a tons of people and I've pretty much gotten over it. There are a million ways to fix this kind of issue, really.

greenskittles

No, I would like to think not. But thats exactly how I would react with anyone, emotionless. I do feel uncomfortable.

He could seek help from family and relatives. He also said he had REAL friends. Who better to ask advice from than friends and/or family?lancea34

Not really, I really don't like to speak about this irl because I constantly have this feeling that people (Even parents and friends) are judging on what actions I do. Hope this makes sense.

SoSadLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SoSadLife

Also, if people have read my other thread and wondering if this was a troll attempt because I said i was 19 in that, the only reason I lied because I wanted to see how people would react at that age, so i'd simply assume its only better at a lower age. Im actually 17, I only did that to see how people would think about college and what age is perfect for it or not.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

So you wanted to see people's reaction 2 years in the future? :?

I smell a paradox...

SoSadLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SoSadLife

So you wanted to see people's reaction 2 years in the future? :?

I smell a paradox...

lancea34

Because I was already planning on taking a year off. Also, it would help me feel much more better to the fact that it is ok and acceptableto take two years off and then go to college.

PunkAntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 PunkAntiHero
Member since 2011 • 628 Posts
You will be ok, just breath and take one day at a time.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#78 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Go see a doctor i think you need help.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58479 Posts

of course, youre young.

I suggest therapy.

THen, if grades and money allow, college. If not that, then a job, specifically one that comes with customer interaction. Having a job where I have to talk with people every day has done wonders for my social skills, getting rid of my shyness, and generally being able to talk with anyone.

StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 StRaItJaCkEt36
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
what's a normal life mean to you? that's all that really matters at the end of the day.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
There is no such thing as normal. Everyone is aimless in life for a while, some people take years before they have something in their lives. Don't rush to go to college if you aren't ready, but if I recall correctly the US does tend to place a big importance on college - although that's likely down to the parties and spending more time drunk and stoned than doing any actual studying, same as this country then.
Apocalypse97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Apocalypse97
Member since 2008 • 1758 Posts
Troll thread
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 greenskittles

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

SoSadLife

No, I would like to think not. But thats exactly how I would react with anyone, emotionless. I do feel uncomfortable.

He could seek help from family and relatives. He also said he had REAL friends. Who better to ask advice from than friends and/or family?lancea34

Not really, I really don't like to speak about this irl because I constantly have this feeling that people (Even parents and friends) are judging on what actions I do. Hope this makes sense.

Emotionless? I'm confused. So when talking to a cashier you have a blank face and speak in a monotone voice? Listen mate, here is something I want you to do. Rest assured I have felt uncomfortable speaking to people behind even a counter but it can be overcome.

Cashiers, first you have to understand the fact that most people working are trying to help you make a decision and be nice to you (actually 95% of people are already like that). But this is their job so it won't be so hard. Just go up to a person, in a shopping centre who is working by him or herself at a stand or something and start a talking about recommendations for a gift. Ask questions like "what would be a good gift for my 35 year old auntie" what do you recommend here?, continue on asking about these products, ask if they have some themselves. Then go on to make some small talk like how long they've worked their, whether or not they are from around here etc. Just some questions man and try not to reply with a "oh cool" or "ah" cause that gets you nowhere, keep proddding the person (without going too personal, unless you want to pick up some chick)

This works with everyone but like I said if you want to start small and since there is almost no risk in seeing them again you should try this method. Just go for a walk in a shopping centre or something. Heck this works for random people at the bus stop , just pretend you don't know directions to something and start asking about them, small talk like the traffic or school. If you can practice this, it will work in almost all situations, you will probably suck at first (go in expecting that and you won't care as much) but after a few attempts you will be like "normal" again. Seriously, do this.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#84 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Meh I feel the same way, but I know with time I'll make the right decisions. It's a waste of time worrying and being jealous of other people, just get out there and make your own path and stop comparing yourself to other people constantly. I'm a 18 year old high school screw up (probably switched schools about 10 times in my life growing up) now I'm trying to graduate at home when people all around me are advancing and growing up yet I'm stuck with a 15 year old mentality and probably have at least one or two mental disorders (Bi-polar, Social anxiety)

I don't let it get to me though, well that's not entirely true but I try my best not to. I used to be down on myself all the time for not living up to the expectations I set on myself as a kid or the expectations of people around me. I feel like I've dealt with enough stress and anxiety to last a life time and I only blame myself for it, damned if I'll ever blame other people. I've made so many bad decisions in highschool and throughout my teenage years most of the people around me don't realize or understand how badly I feel sometimes, or rather choose not to care but I can't blame them. I try not to project it onto other people though.

I dont believe in normal when it comes to measuring the human character or life. Just be who you see yourself as, don't let your negative feelings control you and I believe you'll succeed at something.

SepticSangreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SepticSangreal
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

Join the ****in' military

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Think that's hard dude? At least you are younger than i am, as long as we die at about the same time i will have wasted more time than you (and a ton of it on here) lol. The thing i notice when going out into the world is that the world goes on, doesn't matter what happened to you or how long it's been or what regrets you have, it keeps spinning as if everything is just fine. You can choose to jump right back in. Sometimes you get the feelings of impending doom but it's just in your head, people are going on their merry ways. I'd like to think of it as if i was just on hiatus or something or in the military, you get these guys coming back in to college in their mid twenties and they were in Iraq, just now getting their lives really started. We are all on different paths and you have to enjoy what you can cause it can end any day is what i'm thinking....the hardest part is just getting back into the fold and pretending to be normal, i was listening to this self-help guy and he said something like "most people aren't being oppressed they're just keeping themselves down" and it's true! I'm thinking about just joining the army so i can have some cool experiences and know what that brotherhood is like, otherwise i have to find a way to explain a long absence from the working world.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

u got high marks and got offered scholarships. i dunno what ur bichin about lol. even if ur socially akward it doesnt matter, just grow some balls and it will come in time. if ur getting scholarships and stuff then u shouldnt be worried dude.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

u got high marks and got offered scholarships. i dunno what ur bichin about lol. even if ur socially akward it doesnt matter, just grow some balls and it will come in time. if ur getting scholarships and stuff then u shouldnt be worried dude.

idunnodude
The post-standard of OT is higher than ever, I see.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#89 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

If you are a male, living in America you should have no reason to be down on yourself.

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts
I say move out of the basement give all these things a try. Who knows you may like being social more than solitude. You never know until you try and besides you are just 17
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
jump in the deep end.
_7h0m_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 _7h0m_
Member since 2007 • 873 Posts

If you are a male, living in America you should have no reason to be down on yourself.

Darthmatt
thats a very vague and vutile comment