Can books make you cry?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#52 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Don't think I have cried when I read a book. Don't remember anyways, it has been a long time since I have read a book.
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
yeah, quite often films bring it out very easily too
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
[QUOTE="dracolich55"] Ya, in "A Storm of swords" (part of the A song of ice and fire series- or more commonly known as the Game of Thrones series) [spoiler] the Red Wedding was pretty sad because of Rob's fate, what makes it more sad was what they did with the body- the attached Grey Wind's head to Robbs body. A final insult. [/spoiler] LoG-Sacrament
some people are gonna be pissed.

Hah, I should add spoilers tags to that.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#55 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Ya, in "A Storm of swords" (part of the A song of ice and fire series- or more commonly known as the Game of Thrones series) [spoiler] the Red Wedding was pretty sad because of Rob's fate, what makes it more sad was what they did with the body- the attached Grey Wind's head to Robbs body. A final insult. [/spoiler] dracolich55
[spoiler] Meh he deserved it. The moron crossed one of the most powerful dudes, who also happens to be quite possibley the biggest d*ck ever and then went back and thought he was being forgiven? Idiot. [/spoiler]

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 dracolich55

[QUOTE="dracolich55"]Ya, in "A Storm of swords" (part of the A song of ice and fire series- or more commonly known as the Game of Thrones series) [spoiler] the Red Wedding was pretty sad because of Rob's fate, what makes it more sad was what they did with the body- the attached Grey Wind's head to Robbs body. A final insult. [/spoiler] cain006

[spoiler] Meh he deserved it. The moron crossed one of the most powerful dudes, who also happens to be quite possibley the biggest d*ck ever and then went back and thought he was being forgiven? Idiot. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Yes, Robb and his 3500 bannermen totally deserved to die because he decided to protect a maidens honour. Yes, he made a stupid mistake going back... then again, not all men are made of honour like Robb, I don't think he expected Frey to backstab him. [/spoiler]
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#57 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I just finished reading The Village by Bing West for the second time. I didn't cry but it does bring out some emotions. It's during the Vietnam war, follows a squad of Americans that protected a village. The lived with, ate with and fought and died with villagers fighting the Viet Cong. The were attacked on two occasions by a battalion. The first attack they were over run, the second they ambushed the forward scouts and stopped the attack taking place. The book is very well written and shows how a squad of Marines lived through some insane conditions, fighting a ferocious enemy and enduring it all.. for those that survived. I highly recommend it.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="dracolich55"]Ya, in "A Storm of swords" (part of the A song of ice and fire series- or more commonly known as the Game of Thrones series) [spoiler] the Red Wedding was pretty sad because of Rob's fate, what makes it more sad was what they did with the body- the attached Grey Wind's head to Robbs body. A final insult. [/spoiler] dracolich55

[spoiler] Yes, Robb and his 3500 bannermen totally deserved to die because he decided to protect a maidens honour. Yes, he made a stupid mistake going back... then again, not all men are made of honour like Robb, I don't think he expected Frey to backstab him. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Robb didn't deserve that to happen to him but his actions made it clear that he was not fit to be a king. He had very bad judgement. I was shocked that he completely disregarded the clear warning signs Grey Wind was giving him. [/spoiler]
rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 rabunzel
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts
yeah, espicially reading poetry in a book or something. some books are just sad and tragic I can't help but cry :(
rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 rabunzel
SPOILER: eventhough I like robb I didn't cry because of his fate, it looked like he saw it coming since he refused to marry that frey girl after giving his word, beside letting greywind outside which was his second fault. But I remember crying when jaime got back to kings landing and lost everything, his hand and cersie, I don't know but I really liked this couple story!
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
Ya, in "A Storm of swords" (part of the A song of ice and fire series- or more commonly known as the Game of Thrones series) [spoiler] the Red Wedding was pretty sad because of Rob's fate, what makes it more sad was what they did with the body- the attached Grey Wind's head to Robbs body. A final insult. [/spoiler] dracolich55
Came in here to say this. Except it ware more tears of rage than sadness. I was also pretty damn upset in A Dance With Dragons when... [spoiler] Jon died. But then I realized he probably wasn't dead so I was like screw GRRM and kept reading. [/spoiler]
rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 rabunzel
[QUOTE="dracolich55"]Ya, in "A Storm of swords" (part of the A song of ice and fire series- or more commonly known as the Game of Thrones series) [spoiler] the Red Wedding was pretty sad because of Rob's fate, what makes it more sad was what they did with the body- the attached Grey Wind's head to Robbs body. A final insult. [/spoiler] stanleycup98
Came in here to say this. Except it ware more tears of rage than sadness. I was also pretty damn upset in A Dance With Dragons when... [spoiler] Jon died. But then I realized he probably wasn't dead so I was like screw GRRM and kept reading. [/spoiler]

NO WAY! I probably should've listened to that spoiler warning I didn't get there yet so what he dies? then who would rule the kingdoms? I always hoped it would be JON
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 dracolich55
[QUOTE="rabunzel"]SPOILER: [spoiler] eventhough I like robb I didn't cry because of his fate, it looked like he saw it coming since he refused to marry that frey girl after giving his word, beside letting greywind outside which was his second fault. But I remember crying when jaime got back to kings landing and lost everything, his hand and cersie, I don't know but I really liked this couple story! [/spoiler]

[spoiler] You liked the incest? Um.... [/spoiler] and [spoiler] And it seems the good guys are always screwed, I made this aint no lord of the rings but thee characters we actually like don't even see a glimmer of success, like those Lannisters, Tyrels, Boltons seem to always getting lucky while Starks and Stannis seemed to always get screwed. I won't be surprised if Boltons win even though they are in the worst position possible, GRRM will STILL make them win against Stannis. [/spoiler]
rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rabunzel
[QUOTE="dracolich55"][QUOTE="rabunzel"]SPOILER: [spoiler] eventhough I like robb I didn't cry because of his fate, it looked like he saw it coming since he refused to marry that frey girl after giving his word, beside letting greywind outside which was his second fault. But I remember crying when jaime got back to kings landing and lost everything, his hand and cersie, I don't know but I really liked this couple story! [/spoiler]

[spoiler] You liked the incest? Um.... [/spoiler] and [spoiler] And it seems the good guys are always screwed, I made this aint no lord of the rings but thee characters we actually like don't even see a glimmer of success, like those Lannisters, Tyrels, Boltons seem to always getting lucky while Starks and Stannis seemed to always get screwed. I won't be surprised if Boltons win even though they are in the worst position possible, GRRM will STILL make them win against Stannis. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] well jaime was a jerk but he was turning into a good person evantually, that's why he and cersie got in a fight, because she refused to marry him while he wasn't ashamed of his love only the things he's done to hide it (like pushing Bran). I too feel for stannis and think he should have the throne instead of that monster joeffry (well good thing he's dead)
zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

I've never cried from reading...but I don't read.

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

Books can't make me do anything.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#67 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="dracolich55"]Ya, in "A Storm of swords" (part of the A song of ice and fire series- or more commonly known as the Game of Thrones series) [spoiler] the Red Wedding was pretty sad because of Rob's fate, what makes it more sad was what they did with the body- the attached Grey Wind's head to Robbs body. A final insult. [/spoiler] dracolich55

[spoiler] Oh come on I didn't mean he deserved it, I just meant he should've seen it coming.

And like that other guy said, Robb would've been awful as a king. I mean going back on that promise was just plain dumb. And also that military fumble with his uncle or whatever wouldn't have happened if he just told him what he was doing. [/spoiler]

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dracolich55

[QUOTE="dracolich55"][QUOTE="cain006"][spoiler] Meh he deserved it. The moron crossed one of the most powerful dudes, who also happens to be quite possibley the biggest d*ck ever and then went back and thought he was being forgiven? Idiot. [/spoiler]

cain006

[spoiler] Oh come on I didn't mean he deserved it, I just meant he should've seen it coming.

And like that other guy said, Robb would've been awful as a king. I mean going back on that promise was just plain dumb. And also that military fumble with his uncle or whatever wouldn't have happened if he just told him what he was doing. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] I agree that he wouldn't have made the best king (still better than Joffrey though) but it sounded like you hated the character for breaking a promise, ina ll fairness it was for a good reason though.. [/spoiler]
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#69 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Genuinely good and moving stories can make one cry. Whether it's from a book, told by a storyteller, shown in a movie or manifested in a game.
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

Definitely. I can't think of any very recent ones, but it has happened several times. Although I will admit I am extremely susceptible to tears and tons of films and songs get me as well.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#71 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

they dont make me cry.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Books can't make me do anything.

The__Kraken

That is just what they want you to think.

But seriously, some of Prachett's DiscWorld have made me laugh till I cried if that helps.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Absolutely.

I think books make me cry more often that movies because reading books is more personal to me than movies.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Sure. I think it is a little more difficult for a book to make you cry, mainly because of the medium (you rarely read a book all in one go and you control the pace you are reding, rather than a movie which you see all at once and you are given less time to emotionally prepare for things). The last book I cried while reading was "Insomnia" by Stephen King.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

definitely, some stories in those books are very powerful