deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Any Black Mirror fans here? I'm a big fan of the show. Tomorrow they release their choose your own adventure movie which was rumored for a long time. It's not confirmed in this trailer but the plot of movie pretty much points to it what do you think? for me I cant wait to see how this turns out.

Synopsis: In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a sprawling fantasy novel into a video game and soon faces a mind-mangling challenge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Looking forward to it even though I didn't enjoy the latest season that much.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I actually just started watching Black Mirror about a week or so ago. I got through 3 episodes and ended up having a tiny existential crisis after the second episode really sunk in. I get the sense that the entire show is going for a messed up and deeply depressing tone and decided that I really didn't need that in my life. Based on the first three episodes I'd say that it's good, in fact it's really fucking good, but it's also just a bit too effective for me to spend 15 more hours on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Black Mirror is good, but too obvious, sometimes to the point of being irritating. A good example is the episode about the possessive mother, Arkangel. How stupid do you have to be not to know filtering everything bad out of a child's early years is a bad idea? I didn't buy it. I know people are too stupid/lazy for subtlety now. They want to be spoon-fed. Everything has to be a visceral bombardment on the senses. Oh well.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

What I love about this is that it takes place in 1984, not the near future like all of Black Mirror.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Bandersnatch? I'm confused. That doesn't look like the guy who plays Sherlock...

-Byshop

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I'm eager to see if choose-your-own-adventure movies end up being any better than games or books of a similar nature.

Could this be great and lead to a new revelation in filmmaking? Will we soon see people like Martin Scorcese and Steven Spielberg making choose-your-own-adventure masterpieces?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

@warmblur said:

Any Black Mirror fans here? I'm a big fan of the show. Tomorrow they release their choose your own adventure movie which was rumored for a long time. It's not confirmed in this trailer but the plot of movie pretty much points to it what do you think? for me I cant wait to see how this turns out.

Synopsis: In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a sprawling fantasy novel into a video game and soon faces a mind-mangling challenge.

Confirmed that it's an interactive movie. I'm not watching it tonight but I started it and the first thing it gave was a tutorial on the interactive nature.

-Byshop

Haruka25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Haruka25
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

This is the best series!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Gamerno6666 said:

It definitely wasn't as good as season 3.

@Serraph105 said:

I actually just started watching Black Mirror about a week or so ago. I got through 3 episodes and ended up having a tiny existential crisis after the second episode really sunk in. I get the sense that the entire show is going for a messed up and deeply depressing tone and decided that I really didn't need that in my life. Based on the first three episodes I'd say that it's good, in fact it's really fucking good, but it's also just a bit too effective for me to spend 15 more hours on it.

The show is dark that's for sure but as someone that has seen every episode I highly suggest watching the episode called San Junipero. It's the first uplifting one that was made and if you like the 80's setting it's a must watch. This is the only episode of any tv show that has ever made me tear up as a adult lol love the ending a very powerful episode.

@MrGeezer said:

I'm eager to see if choose-your-own-adventure movies end up being any better than games or books of a similar nature.

Could this be great and lead to a new revelation in filmmaking? Will we soon see people like Martin Scorcese and Steven Spielberg making choose-your-own-adventure masterpieces?

Yeah, I been thinking of that myself.

@ezekiel43 said:

Black Mirror is good, but too obvious, sometimes to the point of being irritating. A good example is the episode about the possessive mother, Arkangel. How stupid do you have to be not to know filtering everything bad out of a child's early years is a bad idea? I didn't buy it. I know people are too stupid/lazy for subtlety now. They want to be spoon-fed. Everything has to be a visceral bombardment on the senses. Oh well.

That was definitely one of the weaker ones.

@Byshop said:

Bandersnatch? I'm confused. That doesn't look like the guy who plays Sherlock...

-Byshop

Yeah, no clue all I know it's some kind of fictional creature or something.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

@warmblur said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Yeah, no clue all I know it's some kind of fictional creature or something.

I was just making a joke about Benedict Cumberbatch's name...

A Bandersnatch is from Through the Looking Glass. No idea what that means for Black Mirror.

@warmblur said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

It definitely wasn't as good as season 3.

@ezekiel43 said:

That was definitely one of the weaker ones.

I disagree on both of these. Season 4 had a lot of solid episodes. USS Calister is one of my favorite in the whole series (my wife actually got me a USS Calister t-shirt for Christmas a few days ago). Crocodile was solid (the hit and run one). Hang the DJ was cool and hilariously awkward. Metalhead was a neat one because it dropped you into this already established world but explained nothing about it and left you to figure out the rules (if not the history) as the episode progressed.

Arkangel wasn't a bad, it was just a mundane subject matter compared to the rest because the stakes were so comparatively low to other episodes. To @ezekiel43's point, no I don't find it unbelievable at all. I don't know if he's a parent, but there are parents that make -far- stupider decisions raising their kids today without the advent of fictional technology. It wasn't even the filtering early on that ultimately caused her daughter to run away, it was the betrayal of trust in monitoring her once she became older. The mother even knew she shouldn't do it and was conflicted at the idea, but it raises the question that if you have what was basically a form of omniscience would you be able to resist the temptation to use it if you knew your intentions were good (even though it's a massive betrayal). It's not an episode I've felt compelled to revisit because it was less provocative as episodes as Shut Up and Dance or as impact-full as episodes like White Christmas. Personally my weakest episodes where National Anthem and Waldo Moment, both from the original BBC series. Men Against Fire was ok but the twist was utterly predictable.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Well I just finished watching or should I playing Bandersnatch and loved it I wouldn't mind more of these but I still like the traditional format of course but this was a nice change.

Spoiler I laughed so hard when therapist started doing Chun li kicks.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

It's an incredibly depressing show, especially if you are an optimist looking towards the future. The whole series, for the most part, basically takes "the worst way" we can ever use modern technology.

I love it though; despite my idealistic outlook on the big picture level, I tend to enjoy sad and generally fracked up things. This show is perfect for me.

S1E2 (assuming that's the one, with the "reality TV" and stuff) is really not that far fetched imo. In some ways I'd say we are almost there, just a few legal regulations pushed through by lobbyists and we could become indentured to corporations no problem.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I just remembered, there was a Netflix show called Buddy Thunderstruck that had a Choose Your Own Adventure episode. So, this isn't a revolutionary idea, even by Netflix's own standards.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts

We have a choose your own adventure board game which is a lot of fun (my son loves it, too), but I loathe the "Choose your own adventure" format for books and movies even though I digested more than my fair share of these in my youth. It's a godawful storytelling device.