Are teachers really under payed?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts
I had heard this for many years and i use to believe untill i work my current job. Now i see them as crying over small stuff and just want more benefits even though their as of right now are alot better then most places.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Some are, some aren't. The way the system in the UK is set up it's very hard to say as a non-teacher may teach more than a teacher.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

As far as money made per hour they are actually being paid really well, in the US.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

Cant really compare to other professions but as a teacher I say we deserve more, at least a little. I know every job is demanding but still teachers, especialy for children under 18, have to do a lot of things really. You have to take lots of work-related stuff home and do it at home. When you come from school its not over yet. You have to prepare for future classes, grade lots of student"s work etc. etc.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

God yes they are...

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm under paid. I do all the work of a full-time teacher, but get paid very little.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Cant really compare to other professions but as a teacher I say we deserve more, at least a little. I know every job is demanding but still teachers, especialy for children under 18, have to do a lot of things really. You have to take lots of work-related stuff home and do it at home. When you come from school its not over yet. You have to prepare for future classes, grade lots of student"s work etc. etc.

tommyas

I'm always curious about teachers with this viewpoint as pretty much everybody I know takes work home with them, prepares for tasks for their employees or themselves almost every day, and for those that work on the time clock often illegally work off the clock as there's no way that they could get it done in their allotted time. Sure teachers are underpaid, but then again so are most people not in high level positions.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

As far as money made per hour they are actually being paid really well, in the US.

edinsftw

This is because they don't get paid for any of the prep work, one-on-one tutoring, board meetings, or so forth. There's also the misconception that they get "summers off," which is a load of baloney. If you're a teacher, you know what you're doing during that "break."

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
The ones in Florida definitely are. Getting paid based how students do on standardized tests instead of the the student's grades.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts
In the US....definitely not.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Yes, teachers are underpaid.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
In my country they are. The nature of their work should require them to be some of the best paid workers in a society but, since we have all our priorities backwards, a guy who puts plastic boobs on some girl earns a lot more.
Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

They're always saying how under payed they are here in Australia...I don't really know much on the subject though.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

Its funny you bring that up, because where I live, the teachers may be going on strike hoping for a 12% raise. They already went on strike for one day and I hope that is it.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

In the US....definitely not.LJS9502_basic
How not? The average salary for a teacher is around $40,000 in the US. The money isn't lucrative enough to attract many people, especialy those who have a better (paid) second option. Thus we are left with many incompetent graduates who don't have any other option teaching our children. The rest of the teachers are made up of those who have been raised to want to become a teacher "when they grow up" since childhood. Greater salaries would create greater incentives for those who have other options, and thus more qualified.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
*note, that I say this as a former teacher* NO, they are NOT underpaid. In life you are paid according to how easily replaceable you are (not how much work you do). Teachers, for the most part, are easy to replace. If they were not (and if, as a result, there was more competition for them), then they would be paid more. Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]*note, that I say this as a former teacher* NO, they are NOT underpaid. In life you are paid according to how easily replaceable you are (not how much work you do). Teachers, for the most part, are easy to replace. If they were not (and if, as a result, there was more competition for them), then they would be paid more. Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)

What grade or grades did you teach?
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]*note, that I say this as a former teacher* NO, they are NOT underpaid. In life you are paid according to how easily replaceable you are (not how much work you do). Teachers, for the most part, are easy to replace. If they were not (and if, as a result, there was more competition for them), then they would be paid more. Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)mrmusicman247
What grade or grades did you teach?

HS math
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

i would say we spend way too much on state education, but my gripes lay with unions, premiums that are not optional and non-teaching staff.....

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

*note, that I say this as a former teacher* NO, they are NOT underpaid. In life you are paid according to how easily replaceable you are (not how much work you do). Teachers, for the most part, are easy to replace. If they were not (and if, as a result, there was more competition for them), then they would be paid more. Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)rawsavon
That would be true in a capitalist system. But schools are a public commodity.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts
what they lack in salaray they make up for in benefits.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]*note, that I say this as a former teacher* NO, they are NOT underpaid. In life you are paid according to how easily replaceable you are (not how much work you do). Teachers, for the most part, are easy to replace. If they were not (and if, as a result, there was more competition for them), then they would be paid more. Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)ShuLordLiuPei

funny how private schools out perform the public good, no?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surrealnumber5
what they lack in salaray they make up for in benefits.comp_atkins
i think it should be their choice if they want the benefits or the money.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]what they lack in salaray they make up for in benefits.surrealnumber5

yeah, that's not a bad idea.. doubt it would fly w/ the unions though...
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]*note, that I say this as a former teacher* NO, they are NOT underpaid. In life you are paid according to how easily replaceable you are (not how much work you do). Teachers, for the most part, are easy to replace. If they were not (and if, as a result, there was more competition for them), then they would be paid more. Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)ShuLordLiuPei

It is a mix of the two:
-that is why some teachers make more (math and science make more, HS pays more, etc b/c of demand)...like Capitalism
-but all HS math teachers in District 'x' with 'y' years of service will make the same...not so much like Capitalism

The fact remains that if demand were higher for all teachers, districts would be forced to pay more (which would increase taxes)
-see math teachers making more b/c they are a 'high need' for support

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think it depends on the district and state. I know a lot of teachers that work very hard and dont get paid a lot. Some have a lot of benefits, however, that take the place of salary. Such as pensions and medical benefits. Regardless, we should not be cutting teacher salaries as they have not been growing ata rate faster than the economy.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
I'm teaching ESL as a guest teacher in a foreign country at the moment and I get payed too much for what I do. No complaints from me then. For the real teachers though, yeah they put up with a LOT of stress and aren't compensated proportionally.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rawsavon
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]what they lack in salaray they make up for in benefits.comp_atkins

Benefits are not that great and getting worse -no SS (though I guess that will be true for everyone >_>)...they get their own type of retirement -raising retirement age and lowering benefits for retired teachers
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]what they lack in salaray they make up for in benefits.comp_atkins

another issue i have with the current system.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] i think it should be their choice if they want the benefits or the money.rawsavon

Benefits are not that great and getting worse -no SS (though I guess that will be true for everyone >_>)...they get their own type of retirement -raising retirement age and lowering benefits for retired teachers

hmm. didn't know that about SS. what's the retirement age? i thought it was like 30 years and you're eligible for full pension benefits.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kuraimen
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]*note, that I say this as a former teacher* NO, they are NOT underpaid. In life you are paid according to how easily replaceable you are (not how much work you do). Teachers, for the most part, are easy to replace. If they were not (and if, as a result, there was more competition for them), then they would be paid more. Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)

A really good teacher is not easy to replace but most good ones go to places where they actually get paid for their capacities. Hence education ends up filled with incapable and replaceable people that produce a mass of dumb individuals and society starts to collapse. As simple as that.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 markop2003

tommyas

It's supply and demand, here in the UK there are 200 applicants for every primary teaching post

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Teachers are some of the most important people in a country. If you would pay people for their value, I would pay a teacher more than a famous sportsman.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
It all depends where they work, however it's important to realize that teachers actually only work 9 months a year. With a couple of months off in the summer, a few weeks for Christmas, Easter and Spring Break as well. However, they also have to work outside of the class room quite often but I still think for the amount of time they work over the course of a year they are making about as much if not more than your average worker.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 markop2003

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

pianist

This is because they don't get paid for any of the prep work, one-on-one tutoring, board meetings, or so forth. There's also the misconception that they get "summers off," which is a load of baloney. If you're a teacher, you know what you're doing during that "break."

Techers get paid all year round here in the UK and get paid preperation time (though it's far from enough). Teachiing assistents and such don't get paid holidays though, they get paid by the hour. [QUOTE="rawsavon"] Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)

I doubt increasing the pay would be that efficient as most people don't avoid teaching simply because of the pay, usually it's due to having to deal with annoying kids who don't want to learn or the ammount of hours you need to plan and do admin.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
With the amount of stuff they have to put up with? Yeah. *shudders* My internship is gonna be interesting.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] yeah, that's not a bad idea.. doubt it would fly w/ the unions though...comp_atkins

hmm. didn't know that about SS. what's the retirement age? i thought it was like 30 years and you're eligible for full pension benefits.

It is a combo of age + years spent teaching.
The actual 'number' varies by state...but it keeps going up.

And yeah, no SS for them. Medical and other stuff is similar to any other professional job

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"] Is the job worth the money though? ...that is a totally different question...and my answer is NO BTW (hence being a former teacher)markop2003
I doubt increasing the pay would be that efficient as most people don't avoid teaching simply because of the pay, usually it's due to having to deal with annoying kids who don't want to learn or the ammount of hours you need to plan and do admin.

The low pay made my job 'not worth it'. Would have stayed if paid what I make now.
UltimoIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UltimoIce
Member since 2009 • 3074 Posts

I'm torn on this issue. I have heard the teacher's side of it, and I have seen the reality of it.

They deal with a lot of crap, this is true. During the school year they work horrendous hours preparing lesson plans. They also have out of pocket expenses you wouldn't think about, like certain classroom or activity materials.

However, then you look at all the time they get off. All the breaks, all the vacations. And I think...yeah, they are getting exactly what they deserve.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

I dunno about US or UK... but In Poland? HELL NO!

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

In my place, yes they are.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
based on the results they are getting...No.....not at all...
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

To me, the thing that I wonder about when teachers complain about their salary is why they went into the profession in the first place? That is, it really isn't hard to do a little reasearch and find out what salaries are for almost all professions in all areas of the country. I don't fully understand why people go into a profession where they know what the salary range is, and then complain about said salary.

We're hoping to buy our first home in the next year or so. I know that I want to have my front and back yard fenced in. I wouldn't move into a community that restricts people from putting up fencing in the front of their house, and then start complaining that I can't have my fence. To me, it's a little common sense-ish.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

you should see the ~!@# my teachers put up with. Whatever they are getting paid, its not enough.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#45 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

tommyas
yeah i know what you mean, i have been a substitute teacher, and it's not as easy as people say it is
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rawsavon
based on the results they are getting...No.....not at all...Omni-Slash
More to do with students and parents IMO (see value placed on education)
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kuraimen

To me, the thing that I wonder about when teachers complain about their salary is why they went into the profession in the first place? That is, it really isn't hard to do a little reasearch and find out what salaries are for almost all professions in all areas of the country. I don't fully understand why people go into a profession where they know what the salary range is, and then complain about said salary.

We're hoping to buy our first home in the next year or so. I know that I want to have my front and back yard fenced in. I wouldn't move into a community that restricts people from putting up fencing in the front of their house, and then start complaining that I can't have my fence. To me, it's a little common sense-ish.

YellowOneKinobi
Maybe because they are people that care about their work and the people they are responsible for. They know that if salaries go up, best prepared people will be available for education so their complain is looking for better conditions for people with such a big responsibility and for a better society overall.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

The quality ones are underpaid, but that's neutralized by the crappy ones being overpaid.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
hell yes they are underpaid, this is a dumb question
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
More to do with students and parents IMO (see value placed on education)rawsavon
I think that plays a part...but I can look at my sons' school and see that half of them are underqualified to teach a cat....and they are getting paid to the same amount as the teachers that bust their arse and do a great job......I'm willing to bet the farm that thier school is not abnormal either...