Anything about the pandemic side effects that you have liked?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

While I am atm glad I am not forced to work from home, I appreciate the benefits it has on rush hour traffic. And actually I hope I can work from home a day or two each week later. Along with reduced traffic is the improved air quality.

Do you guys experience or see any positive side effects from this otherwise crappy pandemic year?

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

People are dying from this virus and millions are getting sick.

There’s no positive side to that.

Nothing justifies what we’re leaving through.

Ask the people who have lost a love one, what positive side affects did they had.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator

@neogeo2k2: Oh sorry for trying to see something positive in this crap.

Yeah it is horrible for the people who got it, for the families ruined by it. For the ones who have lost their job with everything that implies because of it. But not everything has to be negative.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Heavy traffic on the highway + no school buses with parents/teachers on the road has really decrease in traffic for almost a year has its benefit.

Getting extra money from out government is nice but nothing to brag about.

I guess covid-19 played a huge role in the movie industries for pushing home media entertainment to new level like WB is gonna release all of there movies into HBO Max app and I'm able to watch there new movies in the safety of my home has never been better.

That's all I can think of but we must never forget we lost a lot of good people, family, friends while dealing with this deadly virus for months but the good news is, we have a vaccine now, this is also another good news and so with that, lets hope we can end this lockdown for the rest of the world for good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Enjoy not having to engage with delivery men.

Drop package, run away like it's radioactive.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Companies and employers have realized that working from home is more than viable. Especially in my field (Software Engineering). I'm hopeful they'll continue supporting it for 1-2 days/week even after the pandemic has left us.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@davillain-: It's nice for the moment with big movies releasing like that, but the negative of that is WB and others who might follow are only doing so to get a quick buck on the movies they've had in limbo for a year or so. I don't see that as a business model that can work as I doubt they're going to be able to make nearly what they could have if they released them during a more normal, Covid free year. If this continues say goodbye to big blockbusters (some will rejoice in that though).

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

In a face mask, I'm probably about an 8. Or at least 7 pushing 8.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Less pollution. It still won't be seriously handled even after the differences we've seen this year. I'm just glad Trump will be gone soon, after putting us years back.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#10 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

To be honest there’s not much benefits while this pandemic is around,but playing a bit more gaming time,less traffic for those who drive and maybe more understanding for our fellow man/woman,everyone is going through this pandemic together.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@horgen said:

@neogeo2k2: Oh sorry for trying to see something positive in this crap.

Yeah it is horrible for the people who got it, for the families ruined by it. For the ones who have lost their job with everything that implies because of it. But not everything has to be negative.

Don't let the Debbie Downers get to you.

Think of the sheer number of people who die each year from all sorts of things. Even with death, good things are still happening.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator

@ezekiel43 said:

Less pollution. It still won't be seriously handled even after the differences we've seen this year. I'm just glad Trump will be gone soon, after putting us years back.

Makes me wonder. Do you think governments will push for some WFH to reduce carbon emissions and decrease the need to improve/upgrade infrastructure?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@horgen said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Makes me wonder. Do you think governments will push for some WFH to reduce carbon emissions and decrease the need to improve/upgrade infrastructure?

No. They won't care until the more serious dangers of pollution become much more imminent. Politicians aren't that interested in the distant future. In their minds and the minds of their voters, there are too many problems happening now, sadly.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

People can’t read my lips or see me stick my tongue out. Our street isn’t full of parked cars from visitors. Traffic isn’t as busy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

Less traffic, air seems cleaner, less garbage on the side of the road...you really notice human's impact and absence on the world in a time like this, and how the world would be better off without us, or with fewer of us, or simply if we could just our act together and maybe respect the world we live on.

As an introvert with social anxiety, I'm actually kind of loving the social aspect. For once in my life, I don't feel guilty or ashamed about not wanting to hang out with people. I've got my built-in excuse.

@neogeo2k2 said:

People are dying from this virus and millions are getting sick.

There’s no positive side to that.

Nothing justifies what we’re leaving through.

Ask the people who have lost a love one, what positive side affects did they had.

I respect your point of view, but it can't all be doom and gloom all the time, that's not healthy for the mind.

People die from everything, all the time, and we don't really let it get us down (not most of the time, at least). I don't see why COVID should be any different.

I feel bad for those that have lost people to COVID (and cancer, and drunk drivers, and...) but it's not going to stop me from living my life.

Make the best of it and turn it to your advantage, or let it own you and make you miserable. Your choice.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25
@ezekiel43 said:
@horgen said:
@ezekiel43 said:

No. They won't care until the more serious dangers of pollution become much more imminent. Politicians aren't that interested in the distant future. In their minds and the minds of their voters, there are too many problems happening now, sadly.

Yeah no one sees the big picture. I was talking about something the other day and I think I said something like "Yeah, and it won't take very long, either, like 100 years or so" and the person I was speaking with thought that was a ridiculously long time.

It's not. You might not be alive to see it, but your kids might, and your grandkids definitely. More importantly, it really is not that far away.

I mean, what if someone came up with a way to cure cancer and feed everyone and colonize Mars, and said it would take 150 years....are you going to say "Nah, that's too long"?

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

The only positive side effect is people finally have shown how selfish they are and are not willing to do a little sacrifice like wearing mask to safe a life and i am happy because there will be a worse virus than covid 19 that will exterminate humanity i am looking forward

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25

@sheep99 said:

The only positive side effect is people finally have shown how selfish they are and are not willing to do a little sacrifice like wearing mask to safe a life and i am happy because there will be a worse virus than covid 19 that will exterminate humanity i am looking forward

Everyone I've seen are wearing masks.

Are you sure you're not just letting a few exceptions to mask wearing, probably shown on the news for sensationalism, sway your views? Surely most people in your area are wearing masks.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

As an introvert with social anxiety, I'm actually kind of loving the social aspect. For once in my life, I don't feel guilty or ashamed about not wanting to hang out with people. I've got my built-in excuse.

Heh I resonate with this. Though to be honest, before the pandemic kicked in, I had realized I need to get out of my comfort zone even in some minor way in order to find balance and improve my life. Engage in an outdoor activity, try to be more receptive to social interactions, etc. That's all postponed for the time being.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@horgen said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Yeah no one sees the big picture. I was talking about something the other day and I think I said something like "Yeah, and it won't take very long, either, like 100 years or so" and the person I was speaking with thought that was a ridiculously long time.

It's not. You might not be alive to see it, but your kids might, and your grandkids definitely. More importantly, it really is not that far away.

I mean, what if someone came up with a way to cure cancer and feed everyone and colonize Mars, and said it would take 150 years....are you going to say "Nah, that's too long"?

Permanent colonizing of Mars will take some time. They would need to change to atmosphere to something suitable for us.

As for climate change. We are already seeing effects from it. Far less permanent ice, hotter climate some places already.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

@horgen: speaking of colonizing Mars, you play Per Aspera yet? Pretty great game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

While I support space colonization, I seriously pity kids will be born on Mars. That planet will always be hell. It's nothing more to me than a stepping stone.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:

@horgen: speaking of colonizing Mars, you play Per Aspera yet? Pretty great game.

Nah. CyberPunk 2077 atm, then I need to pick something in backlog.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sheep99

@mrbojangles25: no right now is the holiday season and still people will gather and take a risk, look what happened after thanksgiving. than you have the Trump people, religious people, business care more staying open than the safety of people and than people who still think its fake list goes on. People have shown that they are selfish and don’t care what happens to others

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25

@sheep99 said:

@mrbojangles25: no right now is the holiday season and still people will gather and take a risk, look what happened after thanksgiving. than you have the Trump people, religious people, business care more staying open than the safety of people and than people who still think its fake list goes on. People have shown that they are selfish and don’t care what happens to others

I think there are extremes on both sides that need to be addressed. People have a right to be safe, but they also have a right to their livelihood as well. It's not fair to do a blanket shutdown of a lot of businesses; at the same time, if these businesses had their way, nothing would be done and it'd be business as usual.

I'm happy to see a lot of businesses have gotten creative, such as restaurants doing curb-side pickup, and alcohol being OK to deliver now. But a lot of places are not so lucky to have those options.

But yeah, lot of idiots out there not wearing masks, making a big deal out of it. No one likes wearing a mask, but we all gotta do it.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#26 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Can’t quote on my tablet but me too lol.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@sheep99 said:

Do you really think it is only a certain persuasion or livelihood who refuse to stay away from families for another holiday or those pissed because Target and Walmart is allowed open but a small business (restaurants for dine-in) must shut down during the biggest time of the year for its income? If you expect people to act a certain way, perhaps the government should execute with more consistency. Birx told everyone to stay home yet she was off and running during Thanksgiving doing the opposite of what she preached.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sheep99

@Solaryellow: essential business should be open and it’s usually stores and gas stations, everything else should have been online only pick up or delivery, stimulus checks should have been only for people who lost their jobs and small business not billion dollar business, i still have a job i don’t need a stimulus check, if people got called to come back to work should not receive any help from government anymore because lots of people used the opportunity to stay home for few weeks and receive money and made more than they do at their job, i personally know 2 of my friends now they are struggling and really could care less they had the opportunity to go back to work, some self sacrifice would benefit us all and if we all work together we would be done with the virus but the opposite happened and people showed how selfish they are always hoping for a magic pill to solve their problems, we deserve to be wiped out from this planet

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Not really well maybe.. if it can finally help Marijuana get legalized faster for NY then hell ya it would be stupid if it didn't. Think of all that tax payer money it could bring to the state and help in so many ways. But I'm not getting my hopes up in the past two years they have been trying to pass it but NY can't get it's shit together and cries about it being to complicating BS. The only thing complicated about it is them getting that big pharma cut.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Also, it seems like that have been more home video releases of older movies because of the virus. It's a good way for studios to make money when they have to delay new theatrical releases. Which works for me, because I prefer the older stuff anyway.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

i been burning thru back log games,movie/tv, photograpy and video shooting to.

baddestb1tch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 baddestb1tch
Member since 2021 • 7 Posts

no school