Anyone here a bodybuilder or weight lifter?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

john_doe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 john_doe2
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts

I have been lifting for about one and a half years and I have put on some good size and strength. Nothing particularly too spectacular yet. My arms are now about 15 1/4 inches in circumference flexed and I weigh about 190 lbs. I want to get my arms up to 18 inches and get my bodyfat levels around 6% to 8%.

I love weight lifting. Perhaps even more than gaming. I love the feeling of the pump. I love it when my biceps feel like they're about to explode out of my skin. It's just so awesome! And you feel good about your body and people give you compliments about your good physique. I just love it!

Avatar image for deactivated-58f8be37da70d
deactivated-58f8be37da70d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-58f8be37da70d
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts
I lift weights..just not religiously...Pushups are what I care about mostly. I hit 103 last week in under 2 minutes.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#3 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Yes, exercising is supposed to make you feel great...besides the soreness, of course.

I've been lifting since I was 16yrs old (I'm 28yrs old now). I don't do any measurements, but I'm definitely a lot stronger than before.

Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts

I have been lifting for about one and a half years and I have put on some good size and strength. Nothing particularly too spectacular yet. My arms are now about 15 1/4 inches in circumference flexed and I weigh about 190 lbs. I want to get my arms up to 18 inches and get my bodyfat levels around 6% to 8%.

I love weight lifting. Perhaps even more than gaming. I love the feeling of the pump. I love it when my biceps feel like they're about to explode out of my skin. It's just so awesome! And you feel good about your body and people give you compliments about your good physique. I just love it!

john_doe2

What kind of lifts do you do?

strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
I've been working out for about 3 years and started body building the last 8 months. Not really super interested in anything but doing it for myself. I love the whole aspect of diet and exercise to see gains. Although I'm on a 3-4 week break right now due to a torn elbow. Good time to get off creatine and all the other suppliments for a month.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I do lift weights, but not a massive amount. I like to concentrate on exercises like Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and the like.
I mainly do exercises (like the aforementioned) recommended by the Army.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
I have been lifting for probably 8 years now. I started around when I 15 and I'm 24 now. Unfortunately for the past few weeks I have been bothered by a sore back (actually this is something that has been bothering me for years) either its a pinch nerve because it comes and goes or it is a slipped disk. I'm not sure I have to get it checked out, but to get to my point I haven't been able to lift, so it really sucks. It has taken me a long time to get where I'm at and I want pack on a few more pounds before I want to get ripped. Lifting weights is a good time and you get to learn more about your body and just good all around health while your doing it. I would really like to get back in some form of martial arts because that is a great way to get in shape and at the same time learn a fighting style. Its just tough trying to find the time to do all of that at once.
john_doe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 john_doe2
[QUOTE="john_doe2"]

Tsunami23

What kind of lifts do you do?

I stick mostly to big heavy compound movements like bench press, military press, squats, barbell curls, ect. Those give you the most bang for your buck since they activate the most muscle fibers. I also incorporate isolation movements when I am on a four day or five day split. I utilize both barbell and dumbell exercises for variety and shaping. For example, sometimes I will do dumbell bench press instead of barbell bench press and dumbell shoulder press instead of military press. I also will change the angles of my bench so I can hit different areas of my pecs for more complete chest development.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Yeah I'm a weightlifter, not a bodybuilder though. Right now I'm not doing as good because it has been a fairly stressful month.
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 strayzilla

I never bench. Mostly because

A) It's pretty much impossible to do without a spotter after a point

and

B) It's not as effective for tall guys as dumbell sets

I Mostly used dumbells and try to hit angles. Go from incline, flat bench, decline, flys, then maybe hit a cable machine for crossovers. Or I might use a smith machine to do negatives, but thats about it.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts
I always did weights for over 4 years now, but i do alot more arobic/yoga and cordial excersizes because i do swimming and waterpolo ( and when it comes to those sports, endurance is far more important than strength) Besides i like the lean but built look rather than that really buff looking type, i like the hard abes and the nicely shaped arms.
trusake3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trusake3
Member since 2007 • 256 Posts

Home gyms are the best.

I'm 26. I've been lifting on and off since I was 16, whether it was because the gym was too far or work was interfering plus then there was school, also I ended up having a back injury at 22 which injured my spine. In the end, it wasn't until I had turned 25 when I actually sticked to it and I've been working out non-stop for about a year now, and reason for that is, like I mentioned, I bought my own home gym, I just wished I had bought that when I was 16, that way I would've never had to quit. I now own a Bowflex, which works very well, and though I work out at a slow pace (every two days, and add more weight once a month) so my back injury won't come back, I have actually gained 10 pounds of muscle in the past year alone. May not seem much but like I said, I work out slow for my own safety.

But yes, it does give a good feeling when working out. It also resolves a lot of anger, if I'm pissed off at something, I just work out and by the end, I'm just too tired to be pissed off.

john_doe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 john_doe2

I always did weights for over 4 years now, but i do alot more arobic/yoga and cordial excersizes because i do swimming and waterpolo ( and when it comes to those sports, endurance is far more important than strength) Besides i like the lean but built look rather than that really buff looking type, i like the hard abes and the nicely shaped arms.mexicangordo

Yeah, I am doing more cardio so I can lean down. I want to have extremely defined bulging muscles. My abs are pretty good too. Trying to get them more defined and ripped.

Avatar image for elite_destroyer
elite_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 elite_destroyer
Member since 2005 • 1118 Posts

nah. I want to though. I have a fitness building open 24/7 like a block away tho. i have a free 1 week trial and i was gonna check it out.

I usually just run either 2.5 or 1 mile per night. or every other night. and I do some ab workouts and some weird upper body pushup like things. i dunno but i can feel my muscles ache once and a while if i go beyond my limits.

john_doe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 john_doe2

Home gyms are the best.

I'm 26. I've been lifting on and off since I was 16, whether it was because the gym was too far or work was interfering plus then there was school, also I ended up having a back injury at 22 which injured my spine. In the end, it wasn't until I had turned 25 when I actually sticked to it and I've been working out non-stop for about a year now, and reason for that is, like I mentioned, I bought my own home gym, I just wished I had bought that when I was 16, that way I would've never had to quit. I now own a Bowflex, which works very well, and though I work out at a slow pace (every two days, and add more weight once a month) so my back injury won't come back, I have actually gained 10 pounds of muscle in the past year alone. May not seem much but like I said, I work out slow for my own safety.

But yes, it does give a good feeling when working out. It also resolves a lot of anger, if I'm pissed off at something, I just work out and by the end, I'm just too tired to be pissed off.

trusake3

I work out at my house too. I have a bench and a big set of dumbells ranging from 5 lbs. to 50 lbs. I also have nautilus machine with a smith machine on it. I use for bench pressing, military pressing, squating, etc. I want to get a barbell so I lift in a more free motion rather than be on a fixed path of motion.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="trusake3"]

Home gyms are the best.

john_doe2

I work out at my house too. I have a bench and a big set of dumbells ranging from 5 lbs. to 50 lbs. I also have nautilus machine with a smith machine on it. I use for bench pressing, military pressing, squating, etc. I want to get a barbell so I lift in a more free motion rather than be on a fixed path of motion.

Speaking of home gyms I also have one! :lol: I have a power rack which allows me to do all kinds of things, but I mainly use it for Bench Press and Squat. As for Dumbbells I have them up to 105.
DreamW8er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DreamW8er
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts
whatis a good (start) amount of pushups eachday for a avarage person?
i don't have weights so i got to do it oldschool ^^
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 strayzilla

DreamW8er

Just do as many as you can do. Just do them until you cant do them anymore. Take a day off and do it again. They will go up in numbers when you get used to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-58f8be37da70d

[QUOTE="DreamW8er"]whatis a good (start) amount of pushups eachday for a avarage person?
strayzilla

Just do as many as you can do. Just do them until you cant do them anymore. Take a day off and do it again. They will go up in numbers when you get used to it.

I do 6 sets of 30 every other morning. Work your way up. If you can only do 30, then do sets of 10-15.
DreamW8er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DreamW8er
[QUOTE="strayzilla"]

[QUOTE="DreamW8er"]whatis a good (start) amount of pushups eachday for a avarage person?
specialedpal

I do 6 sets of 30 every other morning. Work your way up. If you can only do 30, then do sets of 10-15.

pause between each set?
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
If you want to get below 10% your gonna have to spend a couple of months cutting in which you will lose some muscle mass, unless your on the juice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58f8be37da70d
[QUOTE="specialedpal"][QUOTE="strayzilla"]

DreamW8er

pause between each set?

Depends on how tired you are. Don't go above 2 minutes, try and keep it at 30-45 seconds.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts
i body build here i am arggh! :P
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
guys you should show pics you know, of course I want to look at nicely build bodies ;) I myself am pretty lean, not very muscular, but everything is in the right proportions I think. Only my arms could gain more muscles, they're a bit too thin for my taste. So I'll be working on them this summer.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

I've always hated weightlifting, partially because I'm so tall and lanky. It kills my joints. It sucked when we had to for basketball in high school.

I just play basketball intensely, and have no interest in weights.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 smokeydabear076
i body build here i am arggh! :Pps3wizard45
The picture doesn't work. :cry:
john_doe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 john_doe2

If you want to get below 10% your gonna have to spend a couple of months cutting in which you will lose some muscle mass, unless your on the juice.halfnaked

True, but if you supplement and diet intelligently then you can retain most of your muscle mass and your losses will be negligible.

DreamW8er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DreamW8er
[QUOTE="DreamW8er"][QUOTE="specialedpal"][QUOTE="strayzilla"]

specialedpal

pause between each set?

Depends on how tired you are. Don't go above 2 minutes, try and keep it at 30-45 seconds.

hmm yeah i think i went wrong there 30 mins, watching Tv show xD
will not happen anymore, i knew it was wrong ^_^:P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-58f8be37da70d
[QUOTE="specialedpal"][QUOTE="DreamW8er"][QUOTE="specialedpal"][QUOTE="strayzilla"]

DreamW8er

pause between each set?

hmm yeah i think i went wrong there 30 mins, watching Tv show xD
will not happen anymore, i knew it was wrong ^_^:P

Haha i've done that too, except it was probably 5 minutes.
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

I'm only sixteen but I not really into lifting. It summer so I have been running alot lately. 4 times a week at max and when I'm not I'm shotting hoops on my days off.

Anyways I really wanna start building muscles. Does anyone know a good workout plan from a website or maginze or anything like that? I have no idea where to begin.

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts

DreamW8er

Best way to do it is work out the maximum amount you can do, then do 2 sets of your maximum each day 3-4 times a week. That's how we did it on recruit course and I tripled my output by the end.

Sorry you've already got a stack of answers I just thought I'd throw in :P

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts

Well I have been lifting weights for 2 years now (18 years old) but quit the gym last month... already noticing my back is a lot less toned and my pecks are going :( I know a lot of exercises for the triceps, pecks, abs, but I do not know many exercises for my back to do without weights.

Anybody any tips of some exercises i can do to keep my back muscle?

Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
DreamW8er

Heres a guide if you want to work by it, I'm not sure about it's claim of 100 pushups in 6 weeks but it'll show you the approxiamate amount you should be doing.

http://hundredpushups.com/
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts

Well I have been lifting weights for 2 years now (18 years old) but quit the gym last month... already noticing my back is a lot less toned and my pecks are going :( I know a lot of exercises for the triceps, pecks, abs, but I do not know many exercises for my back to do without weights.

Anybody any tips of some exercises i can do to keep my back muscle?

wigan_gamer

Chn ups are an exercise that work the entire upper body - ask anyone with a great back and I'll guarantee they did chin ups somewhere along the line.

There's not a lot of own body weight stuff for your back really...

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wigan_gamer
Well I have tried variations of press ups to try and work my back a bit, but they dont seem to work that well. Ye I think I am gonna have to get a chin up bar, luckily they are pretty cheap so shouldnt be a problem :)
master-dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 master-dude
Member since 2007 • 548 Posts

Yes, exercising is supposed to make you feel great...besides the soreness, of course.

I've been lifting since I was 16yrs old (I'm 28yrs old now). I don't do any measurements, but I'm definitely a lot stronger than before.

LosDaddie

Dude I love the after-soreness. It makes me feel like I've really worked. Which I have.

tiffanyownsyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tiffanyownsyou
Member since 2008 • 190 Posts
*Checks sensor* Hmm...According to my readings the amount of testosterone in this thread is reaching dangerous levels, may i suggest a balancer? Perhaps a Notebook or English Patient?:P
shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shyskillz
Member since 2006 • 4197 Posts

john_doe2

i work out too. i played H.S. and simi-pro football so it was kind of mandatory. I'm 6 feet 1 and 195 with next to no body fat too, my arms are about 18 or 19 and yes it feels great, more energy, strength, stamina and i don't feel sleepy and sluggish in the morning if i get in a little work out before i go to bed. some of the drawbacks are that it can be time consuming, and make you a little more cocky.....lawd knows i try to be humble...

The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Mac_Daddy
Member since 2008 • 2401 Posts

I'm only sixteen but I not really into lifting. It summer so I have been running alot lately. 4 times a week at max and when I'm not I'm shotting hoops on my days off.

Anyways I really wanna start building muscles. Does anyone know a good workout plan from a website or maginze or anything like that? I have no idea where to begin.

muffincakes87

Google "Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength". Best program for beginners (or anybody) looking to build strength and muscle.

shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shyskillz

Well I have tried variations of press ups to try and work my back a bit, but they dont seem to work that well. Ye I think I am gonna have to get a chin up bar, luckily they are pretty cheap so shouldnt be a problem :)wigan_gamer

chin up bars are great, a few reps in the morning and before bed and i'm good. incline pushups are great too. but i like to do hand stands against the wall and do them so my upper arms can get more involved. I trying to leave the weights alone for awhile and go for more definition.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wigan_gamer
Ye can also work the abs and my legs with a chin up bar... which is great for toning too. I was just curious to if there was any other ways of working your lats :)
The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Mac_Daddy
Member since 2008 • 2401 Posts

[QUOTE="wigan_gamer"]Well I have tried variations of press ups to try and work my back a bit, but they dont seem to work that well. Ye I think I am gonna have to get a chin up bar, luckily they are pretty cheap so shouldnt be a problem :)shyskillz

chin up bars are great, a few reps in the morning and before bed and i'm good. incline pushups are great too. but i like to do hand stands against the wall and do them so my upper arms can get more involved. I trying to leave the weights alone for awhile and go for more definition.

Yes, because weight training will not give you definition. :roll:

shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shyskillz

Ye can also work the abs and my legs with a chin up bar... which is great for toning too. I was just curious to if there was any other ways of working your lats :)wigan_gamer

you can by some of those stretchy rubber cord thingies( forgot the name of them ) and hook them up to a door and do some row boat motions.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wigan_gamer
Ye I tried some of those I hated using them :( just found it uncomfortable which is wierd because I love rowing machines...
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts
Yeah, I started working out January of 2007. It felt great for me, because I went from a skinny dude nobody knew to a tank. It feels great, and I love lifting nowadays.
bigse63xy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bigse63xy
Member since 2007 • 942 Posts

Yeah I lift. I have to for football. This is my 7th year lifting now and I'm 18.

Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts
Anyone looking for a good beginning workout routine, use Stronglift's Beginner 5x5. Works great.
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts
[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

The_Mac_Daddy

Google "Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength". Best program for beginners (or anybody) looking to build strength and muscle.

I'm guessing this is what you meant.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

Seems like I can stick to this rountine.