Anyone else believe in Science AND God?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

No No.. Intelligent design.. Intelligent design can not be proven and people try to act like it can..

ayanami_rei

How do you know it cannot be proven in the future? It might not be able to be proven today, but that doesn't mean it cannot be proven at all. And I wasn't trying to act like it can. I was just saying that I believe that both could co-exist with one another. It hasn't been proven false that they cannot.

Because it can't be proven.. The main idea upon intelligent design is that life is too perfect. That is the main point, this is a extremely flawed idea on multiple fronts.. Yet again I am not argueing on the idea of god just the premises that was reached to meet the conclusion.. For one perfection is completely subjective because we have no idea what perfection is.

If perfection were true then mankind as a spieces would be perfect.. We are most certainly are not, for one we are prone to diease, malformities as well as numerous other things.. Heart attacks shows how inefficent our heart can be due to the fact that it has a limited amount of blood vessels/arteries compared to other animals out there. This alone could not show that god made it of course because the being could have ment to put such flaws in our selves.. But if this is true it completely throws out the entire premise of life being too perfect to begin with.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#102 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Because it can't be proven.. The main idea upon intelligent design is that life is too perfect. That is the main point, this is a extremely flawed idea on multiple fronts.. Yet again I am not argueing on the idea of god just the premises that was reached to meet the conclusion.. For one perfection is completely subjective because we have no idea what perfection is.

If perfection were true then mankind as a spieces would be perfect.. We are most certainly are not, for one we are prone to diease, malformities as well as numerous other things.. Heart attacks shows how inefficent our heart can be due to the fact that it has a limited amount of blood vessels/arteries compared to other animals out there. This alone could not show that god made it of course because the being could have ment to put such flaws in our selves.. But if this is true it completely throws out the entire premise of life being too perfect to begin with.

sSubZerOo

But what if we were a fundamentally perfect species whom have to realise this perfection through contemplation? What if there is something beyond our physical existence that makes us special?

You keep trying to use science to disprove a metaphysical claim.
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
[QUOTE="ayanami_rei"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

No No.. Intelligent design.. Intelligent design can not be proven and people try to act like it can..

sSubZerOo

How do you know it cannot be proven in the future? It might not be able to be proven today, but that doesn't mean it cannot be proven at all. And I wasn't trying to act like it can. I was just saying that I believe that both could co-exist with one another. It hasn't been proven false that they cannot.

I'm not saying we are or anything was perfect in this life. Did I say anywhere in my post that we were perfect or there was a perfect thing? No.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]Because, if you're going to try and shove god into science, you need empirical evidence. God can stay in his own realm with faith, but it doesn't belong in science as long as it cant be tested or observed. Sorry.foxhound_fox

"Shoving god into science" isn't co-existence. They are two different ways of perceiving the universe, they are not co-dependant but do compliment each other. Science does not NEED to prove the existence of God and religion does not NEED to disprove science. This is something that unfortunately very few people realize.

That's really poetic and all, but it depends entirely on the person. To me, god does nothing. Therefore, they DO NOT compliment each other. And I unfortunately have to restate this; if god is trying to get into science (or people shoving god into science) then YES science would need to find empirical evidence for god, otherwise it's NOT science.
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]No No.. Intelligent design.. Intelligent design can not be proven and people try to act like it can.. foxhound_fox

But what in science can be "proven?" Gravity is supposedly "proven" but we cannot explain it. Sure, it "seems" to exist but what is existence compared to its explanation? Much of science is still "theory." The best explanation of what we have so far until new evidence comes along to disprove what we have.

A lot of people do silly things... like trying to prove a metaphysical existence through empirical analysis... but that doesn't mean science and religion cannot co-exist. When somebody believes in God, they are not believing in a scientific fact. They are believing in something beyond scientific explanation... something that does not NEED to be proven or disproven by science.

*Sigh* All of those theories have evidence backing them up, that's what makes science "science." If there is no evidence to back up a god, and god cannot be tested or observed, then he is not science. And once again, it depends entirely on the person. Some people need evidence before they can commit to something. Why do they have to make an exception for the metaphysical? If it doesn't "tickle their pickle," then it doesn't have to. If they need it to be proven by science, then so what? What is the big deal? Sure they're subjecting something that should be beyond science to the scientific method but if you are going to commit to something, shouldn't there be a good reason to? Empirical evidence (for some) is definitely a good reason to commit to something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="ayanami_rei"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

ayanami_rei

I'm not saying we are or anything was perfect in this life. Did I say anywhere in my post that we were perfect or there was a perfect thing? No.

I never stated thatyou did, I stated one of the main ideas of supporting INtelligent design.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]Because it can't be proven.. The main idea upon intelligent design is that life is too perfect. That is the main point, this is a extremely flawed idea on multiple fronts.. Yet again I am not argueing on the idea of god just the premises that was reached to meet the conclusion.. For one perfection is completely subjective because we have no idea what perfection is.

foxhound_fox

But what if we were a fundamentally perfect species whom have to realise this perfection through contemplation? What if there is something beyond our physical existence that makes us special?

You keep trying to use science to disprove a metaphysical claim.

we are not a fundamentally perfect spieces.. Yes we do have free thought and concious experience.. But we are also driven by emotions and instinct.. No I never said god did not create man, I merely said the premises of intelligent design is false.. That god controled evolution to our current form.. To make such a broad stroking claim one must need evidence.. Not neccesarly of god, but that evolution does indeed have evidence.. Most supporters seem to claim that life is too perfect, when tehre are numerous upon numerous pieces of evidence to show it is not. The mere fact that we only use a small % of our brain functions shows that we are not perfect what so ever.. And that our rationale is controled by instincts, desires, and emotions constantly.

I never argued anything metaphyiscal only that the "evidence" that supporters claim Intelligent design has isn't really evidence what so ever.

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

A lot of people do silly things... like trying to prove a metaphysical existence through empirical analysis... but that doesn't mean science and religion cannot co-exist. When somebody believes in God, they are not believing in a scientific fact. They are believing in something beyond scientific explanation... something that does not NEED to be proven or disproven by science.
foxhound_fox
You are right, science and religion can co-exist, they are both valid arguments. The key diffrence is one provides a sound argument while the other provides an unsound argument.

This is obvious since religion doesn't require proven primases, thus religion provides a very solid and very valid argument. However the apeal of science is in addition to a valid argument it thouraly tests and retests its primases to ensure a completely sound argument.

what it comes down to isn't "can a sound and unsound argument both be valid deductions' because they can, what it comes down to is do you prefer a sound or unsound argument.

ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts

I never stated thatyou did, I stated one of the main ideas of supporting INtelligent design.

sSubZerOo
From what I got out of it, you were saying that I did. All I am saying that that there might be a possibility, and that's why I believe it. Nothing wrong with believing in a possibility, is there? We're getting closer in technology to where we may even be able to regrow limps. There are those who believe in this possibility. Is that wrong?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 foxhound_fox
That's really poetic and all, but it depends entirely on the person. To me, god does nothing. Therefore, they DO NOT compliment each other. And I unfortunately have to restate this; if god is trying to get into science (or people shoving god into science) then YES science would need to find empirical evidence for god, otherwise it's NOT science. DeeJayInphinity

So if God does nothing for you, why are you attempting to use science to disprove its existence? And no, you do not need empirical evidence to believe in God, that is why people have developed faith. Like I already stated, neither needs to disprove the other. They are both different perspectives on the same explanation. They DO compliment each other. Science has no bearing in the world of metaphysics and God has no bearing in the world of science.

*Sigh* All of those theories have evidence backing them up, that's what makes science "science." If there is no evidence to back up a god, and god cannot be tested or observed, then he is not science. And once again, it depends entirely on the person. Some people need evidence before they can commit to something. Why do they have to make an exception for the metaphysical? If it doesn't "tickle their pickle," then it doesn't have to. If they need it to be proven by science, then so what? What is the big deal? Sure they're subjecting something that should be beyond science to the scientific method but if you are going to commit to something, shouldn't there be a good reason to? Empirical evidence (for some) is definitely a good reason to commit to something.DeeJayInphinity

Of course God is not science. I'm not the one using one to prove/disprove the other here. I am merely stating that for some people they provide complimentary viewpoints that are not co-dependant upon one another.

Empirical evidence is only one way of explaining things. Metaphysical claims are another. If you don't accept the latter then that is up to you. Kant used logic to prove the existence of metaphysics within the realm of human understanding, making it not as irrelevant as you make it out to be.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
I believe in the Big Bang Theory and Evolution, and I doubt the existence of a god. But that doesn't mean that my views on faith, the soul, and the prospect of an afterlife are negative. There are still too many things that cannot be explained by either science or religion. For example, how did life come to be? Explain the origin of the organism from which all life eventually evolved. Also, where did the materials for an explosion big enough to create the universe come from? What exactly spurred the explosion? The laws of physics state that mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed. So then how does it exist?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#111 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]A lot of people do silly things... like trying to prove a metaphysical existence through empirical analysis... but that doesn't mean science and religion cannot co-exist. When somebody believes in God, they are not believing in a scientific fact. They are believing in something beyond scientific explanation... something that does not NEED to be proven or disproven by science.
DrummerJon

You are right, science and religion can co-exist, they are both valid arguments. The key diffrence is one provides a sound argument while the other provides an unsound argument.

This is obvious since religion doesn't require proven primases, thus religion provides a very solid and very valid argument. However the apeal of science is in addition to a valid argument it thouraly tests and retests its primases to ensure a completely sound argument.

what it comes down to isn't "can a sound and unsound argument both be valid deductions' because they can, what it comes down to is do you prefer a sound or unsound argument.

See, that's the thing that really annoys me.

When I hear people say..."man, that scientific theory is dumb and unsound".

And then, rather than just admitting ignorance, they somehow feel the need to replace it with religion.

It's not that they prefer religion over science. It's that their problem with science is that it's unsound, so they go to religion as an alternative.

It's sort of like if I got a painful cut on my ****, and then decided to solve the problem by cutting my **** off.

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 DeeJayInphinity
So if God does nothing for you, why are you attempting to use science to disprove its existence?foxhound_fox
I don't use science to disprove him. I understand that it cannot be done. [QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]They DO compliment each other.

That's not true for everyone. Like I said, some people need evidence, and that means that the metaphysical is automatically out. It doesn't matter if it is supernatural and cannot have evidence, that is not the point. [QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] I am merely stating that for some people they provide complimentary viewpoints that are not co-dependant upon one another.

There you go, this discussion has finally reached a conclusion.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
How does one not believe in the process of understanding something based on observations?
DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

See, that's the thing that really annoys me.

When I hear people say..."man, that scientific theory is dumb and unsound".

And then, rather than just admitting ignorance, they somehow feel the need to replace it with religion.

It's not that they prefer religion over science. It's that their problem with science is that it's unsound, so they go to religion as an alternative.

It's sort of like if I got a painful cut on my ****, and then decided to solve the problem by cutting my **** off.

MrGeezer
I really don't want to know what "****" and "****" are, but I'm fairly sure I agree haha.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 foxhound_fox
Like I said, some people need evidence, and that means that the metaphysical is automatically out. It doesn't matter if it is supernatural and cannot have evidence, that is not the point. There you go, this discussion has finally reached a conclusion.DeeJayInphinity

Is it "automatically out?" There is such things as metaphysical evidence. An experience of the supernatural. For some people this is evidence enough to gain faith in a God or non-empirical claim.

May I present a question? Do you "believe" the Big Bang occurred? If so, you would believe in many things so poorly explained by science they more resemble a metaphysical claim than they do a scientific theory.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14831 Posts
To an extent, my views are constantly changing, but at the moment yes.
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 DeeJayInphinity
Is it "automatically out?" There is such things as metaphysical evidence. An experience of the supernatural. For some people this is evidence enough to gain faith in a God or non-empirical claim.foxhound_fox
Well, I've never seen a "supernatural experience" that cannot be explained away by science. You have all of these people claiming that they had an out-of-body experience and stuff like that but they don't understand the kind of things the brain is capable of, and how real those illusions can feel. If you had a "supernatural experience," that's fine, I don't have a problem with that. Use it as your evidence, whatever, but it only applies to you because it can't be evidence for someone else. [QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] May I present a question? Do you "believe" the Big Bang occurred? If so, you would believe in many things so poorly explained by science they more resemble a metaphysical claim than they do a scientific theory.

Do I believe in the big bang? Sure, a good portion of it, but most of it is backed up by complicated equations that I have absolutely no understanding of. Maybe in the future, if I decide to go deeper into the theory, I'll give you a proper answer. Anyway, I have to go get some sleep. You can PM me your response if you want to keep discussing this.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#118 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I don't. I think science gets us most of the way there. Then people automaticaly turn to god because science hasn't figured out X yet. But they will, look how fare science has come in just 50 or 30 years.
azrealhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 azrealhk
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts
Science is just the religion of mathematics. Mathematics is based upon a foundation of abstracts.
JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 JCblueside
Member since 2005 • 14529 Posts

I believe in the Big Bang Theory and Evolution, and I doubt the existence of a god. But that doesn't mean that my views on faith, the soul, and the prospect of an afterlife are negative. There are still too many things that cannot be explained by either science or religion. For example, how did life come to be? Explain the origin of the organism from which all life eventually evolved. Also, where did the materials for an explosion big enough to create the universe come from? What exactly spurred the explosion? The laws of physics state that mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed. So then how does it exist?SmashBrosLegend

All of your questions already has an answer:

how did life come to be?
When Earth evolved to be the Earth we know today. Each body in the universe has its own unique characeristics. The Earth's unique characteristics & factors like atmosphere, water, & etc. help deveolped such unique and complex characteristics of Earth; Life. All these unique factotrs of Earth plus the elements of the universe created after the Big Bang made life on Earth and most likely in other parts of the universe as well.

Explain the origin of the organism from which all life eventually evolved?
All life forms did not originate from one organism insead the elements we know today that was created after the Big Bang created complex evolution for a very very long time which then turned into different life organisms which have evolve to all the life we know today in our planet.

where did the materials for an explosion big enough to create the universe come from? What exactly spurred the explosion?Before the Big Bang, the Universe was as small as an atom. This remarkably small universe is so unimaginably dense & hot. Therefore Big Bang isnt Science's explaination of how everything started but how everything evolved so fast to beome the Universe right now.

What exactly spurred the explosion?
The very small universe before the Big Bang consisted mainly of Neutrons, Electrons, & Gravity. It was believed to be that gravity have loosen up and broke away from this elements which in turn created the big bang out of such a small but ultra dense and ultra hot energy.

The laws of physics state that mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed. So then how does it exist?
The Bing Bang emited vast amount of energy upon its swift expansion. For billions of years after the Big Bang when the Universe's temperature cooled off enough for the Neutrons. Protons, & etc to be stable, energy turned into mass. According to Einstein, if mass can create an energy then energy in contrast can create mass.

So in my opinion I think the ultimate question that Science have yet to discover is: Where did the very small Universe before the Big Bang came from?

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#121 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.Zagrius
It's quite simple really. God created everything (simple). When he created everything he also created science for us to figure out how things work here on Earth (simple). Us using science to figure out our world while still having a relationship with God isn't exactly farfetched.
Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Zagrius

[QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.MattUD1
It's quite simple really. God created everything (simple). When he created everything he also created science for us to figure out how things work here on Earth (simple). Us using science to figure out our world while still having a relationship with God isn't exactly farfetched.

But that idea is un-scientific. I don't see how you can agree with the scientific method, then make up stuff that contradict the way it works.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

I believe in god and certain science.Proobie44

You omit the science that conflicts with your beliefs? That's called cherry-picking my friend.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.Zagrius

But that idea is un-scientific. I don't see how you can agree with the scientific method, then make up stuff that contradict the way it works.

Ask a scientist who believes in God.
smiggy4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 smiggy4000
Member since 2005 • 1553 Posts

I'm an agnostic so its like, science yes, GOD there could be something

watch Donni Darko

rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#127 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts

God and science? Raises hand. yes i do.

in fact, most catholics do. This is according to the teaching of the catholic church. :) just to inform you, the infamous big bang was formulated by a catholic priest. :)

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Yes. Science is simply man's understanding of events.
LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts

They are not mutually exclusive...

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Zagrius
[QUOTE="Zagrius"]

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.MattUD1

Ask a scientist who believes in God.

Don't know if I know one personally. It's not like I ask acquaintances if they believe in God.

JCblueside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 JCblueside
Member since 2005 • 14529 Posts

God and science? Raises hand. yes i do.

in fact, most catholics do. This is according to the teaching of the catholic church. :) just to inform you, the infamous big bang was formulated by a catholic priest. :)

rowzzr

True, the man was a priest & scientist, how ironic. Though he wasnt the only person that formulated the Big Bang.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Dracargen
Member since 2007 • 7928 Posts
To think that the One who created science would have it contradict Himself is absurd.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Yes I do
Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
God created science.
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Dracargen

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.Zagrius

It is possible for an individual person to use the sceintific method to come to the conclusion that God exists.

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Zagrius
[QUOTE="Zagrius"]

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.Dracargen

It is possible for an individual person to use the sceintific method to come to the conclusion that God exists.

According to my logic (which would make it twisted from your point of view), they can't.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]

According to my logic (which would make it twisted from your point of view), they can't.

Eh, logic is subjective anyway. Logic is coming to a conclusion based on previous experience: Theoretically, you could logically come to the conclusion that the moon is made of cheese.

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 mikeg0788
Member since 2003 • 11784 Posts
[QUOTE="Zagrius"]

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.Dracargen

Please, indulge my fantasies. I've been waiting for scientific proof of God.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]

[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me personally it seems that 'God did it' is just another way to say 'I don't know'. As for God and science co-existing, I don't see how that works, but what do I know.mikeg0788

Scientific method =/= scientific proof, and I explicitly said an individual person. If you are already under the mindset that there is no proof of God, you will never believe anything I say anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
Nope...I don't think religion should have a place in this modern world. I do, however, acknowledge its influence.
mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 mikeg0788
[QUOTE="mikeg0788"][QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]

Scientific method =/= scientific proof, and I explicitly said an individual person. If you are already under the mindset that there is no proof of God, you will never believe anything I say anyway.

Because I've heard, and experienced, it all before. "Just look at the trees, that has to be God!"=/=scientific method

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#142 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I believe in science, not in god. I suppose there are people who believe in both.
Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts

Eh, logic is subjective anyway. Logic is coming to a conclusion based on previous experience: Theoretically, you could logically come to the conclusion that the moon is made of cheese.

Dracargen

logic is not based on experience, logic is reasoned thought. for example, if you knew that a triangle was a closed shape with three straight sides, you could logically conclude that it would have three corners. no experience necessary.

If the universe is a chain of cause and effect, and a true infinity cannot exist, there must have been a first cause. again, no experience necessary.

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 mikeg0788

Nope...I don't think religion should have a place in this modern world. I do, however, acknowledge its influence.jointed

I wouldn't go THAT far. While I disagree with many of its principles, it does offer a good moral compass for some. For instance, my parents were on the verge of divorce, but their strong connection to our church kept them from going through with it.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Dracargen

Because I've heard, and experienced, it all before. "Just look at the trees, that has to be God!"=/=scientific method

mikeg0788

"There is no evidence for God, therefore God doesn't exist!"=Just as bad.

I've never hear dthat argument anyway. . .

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 mikeg0788
[QUOTE="mikeg0788"]

Dracargen

The problem is, I haven't yet supported any side yet.

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Zagrius
[QUOTE="mikeg0788"][QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]

[QUOTE="Zagrius"][QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="Zagrius"]

So what previous experience could get you to conclude that the moon is made out of cheese? And how can you "find God" through the proper scientific method?

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Dracargen

So what previous experience could get you to conclude that the moon is made out of cheese? And how can you "find God" through the proper scientific method?

Zagrius

You look at the moon. It looks like cheese. Therefore, it is cheese.

Faulty reasoning, I know, but an example nonetheless. If you have no knowledge of how the moon is made, or of how it has to be made, then it is possible to conclude it is made of cheese.

What exactly is the "proper" scientific method?

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="mikeg0788"]

mikeg0788

The problem is, I haven't yet supported any side yet.

Niether have I.;)

jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

since the Bible is constatly proving science then yes.