Any1 know any good horror films?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I love horrors, well scary ones, I love watching them with my wife? She always jumps out of her skin at the scary bits, I love the build up of tension then the big scare that's what horrors are all about, I find most horrors are not that scary. I was quite impressed with The Conjuring, I also like A Haunting in Conneticut, Insidious1, Paranormal activity1. Blair witch1. As you can see I prefer the paranormal/ghost based horrors, I love for horrors to really freak me out, so can you guys recomend any mind blowingly scary horrors? Would be much appreciated.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts
Loading Video...

Classic.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts
Loading Video...

Rubber.

livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 livingundead
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

Videodrome

Sinister is hit and miss. I really liked it a lot though.

Vaguely horror, but Brian de Palma made a couple really good suspense/thrillers worth checking out Blow Out/Dressed To Kill/Body Double.

I'm more of a fan of psychological horror so my tastes may not fit yours. You can always stick to the basics like The Haunting, The Exorcist, House on Haunted Hill, Poltergeist, Amityville Horror, The Shining. And more recently Stir of Echoes, Drag Me To Hell, The Ring/Ringu, The 6th Sense, 1408 and The Woman in Black.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

American Horror Story is a good tv mini series. season two is the best in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to start on season two as it has a completely different story than the first season. if you have Netflix streaming you can watch the first two seasons on it.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Go wathch this

The Beyond .... now go..

Loading Video...

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

inb4ParanormalHacktivity

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Paranormal/ghost horror movies are also my favourites; unfortunately it seems that nowadays lots of movies confuse "jump scares" with "scary"...

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ariabed

@locus-solus: @Korvus85: @livingundead: @livingundead I actually don't mind psychological horrors, I liked the film called The Others(Nicole Kidman).

I actually saw The Woman In Black,the original one, it's on you tube, it's pretty creepy.

I love the japenese horrors like The Ring, The Grudge etc they are great at creating a creepy atmosphere alongside the big scares

@locus. Seen series one and two of American horror story, they are really good, I'm not really feeling the newest series though I feel like it's more for teens compared to the first two seasons.

@korvu. I don't mind jump out scares but also need a creepy atmosphere and Good involving story and a real sense of dread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

The Last Airbender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ariabed: Yeah, the problem is that a lot of movies seem to say "Hey, you jumped, my work here is done", but that kind of stuff bores me; creepy leading to a jump scare is fine, but too many movies forget the creepy and just induce such a sense of boredom that you actually end up jumping with the jump scares.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts
@PonchoTaco said:

The Last Airbender

This. M Night Shyamilamila's best horror film.

I think horror games like amnesia and silent hill 2 ruined the horror film genre for me. I don't get scared watching any horror films anymore. But if you want psychological horror, check out Jacobs Ladder.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Evil Dead Trilogy and the reebot one

BlackGenjii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By BlackGenjii
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

The Shining

Splinter

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)

Rosemarys Baby

Alien

All good. All scary. And the first and last three are EPIC scary.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ariabed

@BlackGenjii: yep seen all them accept splinter I will look it up. Alien, Aliens yep seen them, amazing sci fi horror along with the The Thing, and Predetor, The terminator.

They don't make em like they used to.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ariabed

@gamerno66666: yeah games can be more scary cos you are so much more involved, you're the one creeping around in the dark hoping nothing jumps out at you lol but a good horror can give you that same involvement the same sense of dread.

A game on the ps2 Project Zero, scared the hell out of me could only play it for 30mins at a time it was just to much, and I'm no softy believe me.

The last Air Bender that's not a horror is it?

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

@ariabed said:

The last Air Bender that's not a horror is it?

No, but it was so bad you might as well consider it as such.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I can't really recommend a ghost movie that, to me, isn't generic as hell these days.

I've found more solace in foregin splatter movies, since, even though they are little more than schlock horror fests, they manage to be incredibly intense. I saw the Devil, Martyrs and Inside come to mind.

Although I have to say I absolutely LOVED You're Next. Not very scary, but extremely clever and well done, plus the lead gives a stellar performance. It was my favorite film of 2013 (just about everything else I saw in theaters disappointed me to no end).

Oh, and if anyone suggests the Conjuring or Don't be Afraid of the Dark, avoid them. Both movies suck massive donkey ass. I don't understand how either one was well received by any critic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but reading an above post reminded me, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is actually really good. the acting is shitty in the beginning but by the end the movie gets to be really ridiculously intense and creepy. I was legitimately surprised at how much I liked it.

Also, the original Evil Dead and the remake are solid splatter fests. the original is better but the remake was more enjoyable than it had any right to be. For me, at least.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

I highly recommend you check out Phantasm, it's a cult classic and an older movie(1979), but it's a pretty atmospheric movie, and some errie music that makes it a very immersive horror film.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

@ariabed: Lol. like how m.night shyamilamila destroyed a beloved tv show should be considered as horror.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ariabed

@betamaxx83: @turtlethetaffer: I'm not really one for the gory hack an slash horrors anymore I guess I'm getting old, what with all the saw films I'm done with those type of films. Psychological/supernatural horrors is my thing. I actually like the conjuring(don't hate me) I caught a French horror on the telly a while ago it was halfway through,it was about a woman that lost her baby and i think the negative energy of her loosing her baby spawned this poltergeist thing, I can't explain how creepy and intense scary this film was, can't remember what it's called though, would love to see it again.

I will still look up the films you mentioned cheers.

@Betamaxx. Yep music plays a big part in creating atmosphere and tension in horrors, and I don't mind old films if they're good.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

I can't really recommend a ghost movie that, to me, isn't generic as hell these days.

I've found more solace in foregin splatter movies, since, even though they are little more than schlock horror fests, they manage to be incredibly intense. I saw the Devil, Martyrs and Inside come to mind.

Although I have to say I absolutely LOVED You're Next. Not very scary, but extremely clever and well done, plus the lead gives a stellar performance. It was my favorite film of 2013 (just about everything else I saw in theaters disappointed me to no end).

Oh, and if anyone suggests the Conjuring or Don't be Afraid of the Dark, avoid them. Both movies suck massive donkey ass. I don't understand how either one was well received by any critic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but reading an above post reminded me, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is actually really good. the acting is shitty in the beginning but by the end the movie gets to be really ridiculously intense and creepy. I was legitimately surprised at how much I liked it.

Also, the original Evil Dead and the remake are solid splatter fests. the original is better but the remake was more enjoyable than it had any right to be. For me, at least.

I haven't seen The Conjuring yet, but Don't be Afraid of the Dark is tailored to a very specific audience. It's a kind of sub-genre offshoot of Lovecraft's work. There were a few authors who specialized in the genre, but it doesn't appeal to a wide audience.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Can't help you, you said you were impressed by The Conjuring.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ariabed

@Master_Live: everyone has different taste buddy it's what makes us individuals so come on help me out here, what do you consider a good horror?

Conjuring is a well made horror film it does it's job of making you jump and giving u that sense of doom, it's not a flawless film but I liked it.

Spawnofwar1600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Spawnofwar1600
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@ariabed:

Not many good horror movies these days like they used to make.

Recent ones the woman in black was pretty scary,conjuring was a joke, sinister was one of the better ones too.

Rec 1 and 2 had good shock value and gore.

You should see the company of wolves if you have'nt already, creeps up in your mind.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

The Strangers, i thought that was pretty scary.

BlackGenjii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By BlackGenjii
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

@ariabed said:

@BlackGenjii: yep seen all them accept splinter I will look it up. Alien, Aliens yep seen them, amazing sci fi horror along with the The Thing, and Predetor, The terminator.

They don't make em like they used to.

You can say that again.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ariabed

@spawnofwar1600: I've seen the original woman in black I thought it was really good, so will give the remake a try. I thought The conjuring was good what don't you like about it?

Cheers for the recommendations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ariabed: I couldn't get into the new Woman In Black. Kept looking at Harry Potter and saying "Just use a spell!"

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ariabed

@BlackGenjii: They don't make em like they used to :p

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ariabed

@Korvus85: lol!!!! You don't reckon he played the part well or?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ariabed: Daniel Radcliffe is one of those actors I have trouble dissociating from one specific role he played. I have the same (maybe less) with Elijah Wood and a few others. For years and years every time you hear about them they're this 1 character and in case of the younger actors, when they don't really have all that many big parts in their past it's hard not to see them as that character.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ariabed

@Korvus85: yeh the thing with Daniel Radcliffe is he still looks so young it's hard to take him seriously, I haven't seen the film but saw him on a talk show, think might have been graham norton.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@mattbbpl said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

I haven't seen The Conjuring yet, but Don't be Afraid of the Dark is tailored to a very specific audience. It's a kind of sub-genre offshoot of Lovecraft's work. There were a few authors who specialized in the genre, but it doesn't appeal to a wide audience.

The Conjuring was awful and Don't be afraid of the Dark was worse. Even if the incredibly cliche story was executed better, the rest of it was still bad. Lots of plot holes, cheap ass jump scares, and tooth fairies.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@ariabed said:

@betamaxx83: @turtlethetaffer: I'm not really one for the gory hack an slash horrors anymore I guess I'm getting old, what with all the saw films I'm done with those type of films. Psychological/supernatural horrors is my thing. I actually like the conjuring(don't hate me) I caught a French horror on the telly a while ago it was halfway through,it was about a woman that lost her baby and i think the negative energy of her loosing her baby spawned this poltergeist thing, I can't explain how creepy and intense scary this film was, can't remember what it's called though, would love to see it again.

I will still look up the films you mentioned cheers.

@Betamaxx. Yep music plays a big part in creating atmosphere and tension in horrors, and I don't mind old films if they're good.

Very least, I would give I Saw the Devil (Korean film) a chance. It's more of a cat and mouse thriller, but has a lot of really intense psychology and great acting worked in. It is incredibly violent, but the violence isn't entirely the point. I'd say it's worth checking out. The premise is a vengeful cop exacting his revenge on a serial killer that murdered his wife by capturing him, torturing him (although it's more intimidation and fighting than strapped to the table torture) and releasing him, then repeating the process. Obviously there are a lot of twists and turns so that things don't get repetitive.

And with the others I mentioned, I'd still say to at least consider them because they are all incredibly intense. Yes, the gore is, for the most part, the focus, but it's more well done than in say, Saw, where they created endless sequels. Although with Martyrs, it starts out very gory and gets less violent (but equally as intense) after the first half. I'd say that one's the one you might want to check out first, simply because there's an actually really interesting story and questions to ponder behind all the blood and, like I said, it becomes less violent in the second half.

livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 livingundead

If you like Asian horror try to find a copy of Three Extremes. Its 3 short horror films by three different directors representing Japan, Korea and possibly China; Takashi Miike, Chan-wook Park, Fruit Chan. And they are incredible. Not really scary, but true horror because you don't wanna find out what's going to happen, but you're compelled to and it's terrifying because you think the worst is going to happen, and yet what happens is worse. Really well done.

My favourite is the one directed by Takashi Miike because I'm familiar with his work, and I'm used to his shock and gore horror and his short films paints a new picture for me.

Takashi Miike directed Ichi the Killer, Audition, 13 Assassins, Dead of Alive: Final. He directed a lot more but those are the other movies I've seen. Not all horror obviously. Audition is amazing...watch it.

Obviously if you don't like subtitles don't bother. But sometimes it's worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

The Thing
The Shining
Alien

Holy triumvirate of Horror films.

livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 livingundead

I love horror movies, and to me, a horror movie doesn't have to be scary to be good. I thought the Conjuring was pretty great. Anyone that saw Mama wouldn't say The Conjuring was bad. It's incredibly difficult to make a haunted house movie not incredibly cheesy and I thought The Conjuring did a great job.

As for Daniel Radcliffe in The Women in Black - great actor. Sure he will always be Harry Potter, but the guy can act. For a remake it felt true to the original. The CGI wasn't overbearing, the jump scares weren't tacked on and it was fun to watch.

The problem I have with horror movies is budgets are either too low or too high so roles are filled with big name people or random 'actors' that overact it brings me out of the reality the director try to create. But a horror movie can still be great if there is bad acting only if it's fun and creative and not trying to be something it's not and those are movies like the classic slashers; the Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween before H2O including Season of the Witch, Some of the Friday the 13th movies, Evil Dead, Cabin in the Woods, etc. These movies are so far out and so extreme and unrealistic that they're great. But when someone comes along and tries to put their own stamp on it and loses sight of what these movies are to fans it usually flops (All the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hills Have Eyes remakes/spinoffs). And basically that is fun and entertainment. Is it wrong that I actually cheer for the killer in slasher films?

One slasher movie I think is incredible is Behind the Mask: The Rise and Fall of Leslie Vernon.

Zombie movies are the most difficult movies to create (including all undead; zombies, vampires, werewolves). I thought the original Resident Evil did a great job building up tension, but ruined it with CGI. A good, recent zombie movie is 28 Days Later - lots of tension and desperation, and it worked because the actors acted scared and desperate. Dawn of the Dead remake didn't quite work out like this and it kinda felt flat. It was more about the characters and collapse of their society as a microcosm then about the fear of zombies eating them. Which is fine, but when you try to create too many messages in a horror movie it can fall apart. Ginger Snaps was a pretty good werewolf movie even though the acting isn't very good. I'll have to sit and think awhile on a good modern vampire/Dracula movie though. The problem with vampires and Dracula is they are more romanticized and beautified zombies. Very vain.

I'm not a big fan of ghost/supernatural. I have trouble being afraid of something I can't see. My house makes noises all the time and they aren't scary. You can't make these movies cheesy. They have to be acted very seriously. I liked Sinister and I liked The Conjuring, but I didn't like any of the Exocist movies very much. Poltergeist and The Shining are fine, but the supernatural aspects doesn't come out until near the end. And even though there are supernatural aspects I'd still consider The Shining and Sinister more psychological.

I can't think of a 'haunted house' movie that I liked other than The Conjuring.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

If you like movies that make you "jump" then paranormal activity 3.

Trust me, lol.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The-Apostle

@thereal25 said:

If you like movies that make you "jump" then paranormal activity 3.

Trust me, lol.

I'd be too bored to jump. >_>

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

The Paranormal Activity movies are pretty good, slow paced, more focused on psychological horror over jump horror for the most part. There's a horror comedy called The Frighteners from 1996, it's very underrated and very good, basically it's about a guy who can see the dead and he tries to con the living for a living. But when a spate of murders happen and he's the only one who can see what's committing the murders, as well as seeing numbers cut into the victim's foreheads, he finds himself uncovering what had killed his wife.
Pretty good and worth seeing.

There's an animated horror comedy that's worth seeing called ParaNorman about a kid who can see the dead and he learns of a curse that will bring the dead to life, worth seeing for the laughs alone.

There's a paranormal aliens horror movie in the same format as Paranormal Activity called Skinwalkers which is alright. The Woman In Black remake is also alright, but it gets silly near the end.

There's an older psychological horror movie from the 1960s which is a must see called The Haunting, very good movie, highly recommended.

tjsmoke63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#44  Edited By tjsmoke63
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

Hard to recommend horror films, since, like comedies, they can be very subjective. What's scary to one person may bore another. Most of the new films haven't really impressed me. Thought both Sinister and The Conjuring were awful. But that's my opinion. I did like The Woman in Black, Mama, and The Innkeepers. Some of my favorites: The Descent, the original Evil Dead (the remake is decent, but doesn't match Raimi's film), The Shining, The Others, The Exorcist, Hellraiser, Halloween (both Carpenter's and Rob Zombie's versions were good), The Orphanage, Let the Right One In (the American version Let Me In is also good), Carpenter's The Thing, Alien, Jaws, Silence of the Lambs, and The Ring.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Both are really good horror movies imo they are pretty slow movies they take their time, but the build up is worth it. Also Audition is a foreign film don't know if that is a problem but I think it you should give it a try even if you don't like foreign movies.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Gotta echo earlier recommendations of seeing Sinister. That is a rare horror movie where it has an actually INTRIGUING story with good acting AND it is pretty damn scary! Basic premise is Ethan Hawke is a true-crime author who had his 15 minutes of fame with a book he had written years earlier, and now he is desperate to get that fame back. He is so desperate in fact that he moves his family into the house where the previous family was found hung in their backyard. Needless to say he never could prepare for what he finds trying to investigate their deaths...

If you liked Paranormal Activity 1, I recommend checking out 3. That movie is probably the best in the series. Avoid 2 and 4 like the plague though. Marked Ones is not too horrible if you go in with low expectations....

For something different, I HIGHLY recommend Ginger Snaps 1 and 2. The movies, despite being sequels that involve a continuous storyline, are actually quite different from each other. The first movie is about a pair of sisters named Bridget and Ginger. They are a couple high-school girls who are weird outcasts who have a morbid habit of photographing themselves in horrible death poses. One night, Ginger gets bit by a werewolf. We then get to see Ginger's slow transformation into a horrible beast (it wonderfully strays away from the full-moon change BS, turning it into a slow transformation that is very much an allegory for puberty) while she struggles to fight the changes. The second movie continues the story in a really interesting way that I can't get into without spoiling things.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I like horror too , I also live sci fi and thriller

Since they pretty much summed up the pure horrors here with the ghost stories here, i'll post some hybrids (no horror comedy of course)

try

the divide (be carefull with that one, it will screw with your head),

Anatomie (anatomy)

The thing (1982 version although the last version 2012 is not bad either, no match for the original though)

Invasion of the body snatchers (1978) (the conjuring was in the seventies as well, the movie is old but not that old...)

Event horizon

last days on mars

Pandorum

The fly

ghosts of mars

the crazies

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 The-Apostle

My favorites are:

The Shining
Frighteners
Ghost Ship
Langoliers
Haunter
7 Below
The Fog
It
The Haunting
Ginger Snaps

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@ariabed said:

@Master_Live: everyone has different taste buddy it's what makes us individuals so come on help me out here, what do you consider a good horror?

Ok, lets help:

• Alien: 9/10
  • It (1990): 9/10, this is a mini series.
  • Halloween (1978): 8/10
  • Saw: 8/10
  • Dracula (1992): 8/10
  • The Ring: 8/10
  • Candyman: 8/10
  • The Exorcist: 7/10
  • Scream: 7/10
  • Paranormal Activity: 7/10
  • Children of the Corn: 7/10

I don't see too many horror movies, I get scare :(

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ariabed

@Master_Live: @chernoalpha527: I don't mind foreign horrors at all if they're good, some of the best ones I've seen have been foreign. Cheers for your input

@masterlive. Cheers Darling. I agree with most of your ratings, accept the ones I haven't seen, Dracula, Children of the corn.