Americans criticise European reaction to Bin Laden

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 IAMTHEJOKER88
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

It just seems to me that America has waged a one man army war on terrorism, granted it had military allies. But do Americans feel that terrorism has mostly affected them? Do they really think that the U.S population is the only one to have ever experienced terrorism? Because the stamp on terrorism, or for some even its definition, seems to be the date, 9/11.

I mean it just feels as though the madrid, london bombings and Mumbai attacks are being entirely neglected, not to mention the IRA that has being doing it for years, funded by Americans.

I think of this only because now some Americans are criticising the European reaction to Bin Laden's death. It seems odd that labels such as 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys' would be flying around.

European reaction has on a level been appallment, but of relative silence, compared to American jubiliation.

To me, in appearances, American jubiliation doesn't seem all that different from the Muslims' following the Twin Towers' collapse - yet they were accused of barbarity.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
i guess we're not in the mood to celebrate when people die
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Troll? Or are you honestly equating the death of 3,000 innocent people to the death of a murderer?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

To me, in appearances, American jubiliation doesn't seem all that different from the Muslims' following the Twin Towers' collapse - yet they were accused of barbarity.

IAMTHEJOKER88

I find it a little bit insulting that some people are even comparing the two.

__Chris__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 __Chris__
Member since 2006 • 535 Posts

It just seems to me that America has waged a one man army war on terrorism, granted it had military allies. But do Americans feel that terrorism has mostly affected them? Do they really think that the U.S population is the only one to have ever experienced terrorism? Because the stamp on terrorism, or for some even its definition, seems to be the date, 9/11.

I mean it just feels as though the madrid, london bombings and Mumbai attacks are being entirely neglected, not to mention the IRA that has being doing it for years, funded by Americans.

I think of this only because now some Americans are criticising the European reaction to Bin Laden's death. It seems odd that labels such as 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys' would be flying around.

European reaction has on a level been appallment, but of relative silence, compared to American jubiliation.

IAMTHEJOKER88

I haven't seen anyone criticise European reaction but in no way is America's reaction similar to the Extremists reaction about the Twin Tower.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

people hate it when i say it, but im going to do it anyways :P

hypocrisy is Americas thing. Thats how they roll.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

I'm an American and I don't know what you're talking about when it comes to European reactions. In the case of 9/11, that's the first time the U.S. has successfullybeen attacked by someone outside of our borders, that's why the date is important here. I'm sure in Europe the dates or locations are held in higher regard, if not then I'm surprised.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
American celebration? I don't celebrate the death of anyone. And in day to day life I have not encountered anyone that even mentions it. The media gives a skewed view that is not representative. Second.....I'm not sure what your point is about other attacks. Every country is more affected by their problems. I doubt 9-11 was a big deal in the UK, Spain...etc.
__Chris__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 __Chris__

Half-Way

You really seem to hate America based off your past posts.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Hmmm...3,000 people who had no idea they were going to die vs. One man who had the US army looking for him for 10 years...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic

Half-Way
I see hypocrisy in citizens of other countries as well...so why point at one?
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Do you have a source to back this up ?

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

__Chris__

well if you followed my posts, you would know that america stands for everything that i dislike.

Hate is a strong word, its just that the american government is the opposite of what i would want a government to be.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="__Chris__"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

well if you followed my posts, you would know that america stands for everything that i dislike.

Hate is a strong word, its just that the american government is the opposite of what i would want a government to be.

And which government is better?
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

just curious..where are you from?....
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

LJS9502_basic

i wouldn't base it on the whole population, i base it on the government.

There are governments that are obviously worse, but none have as much power. I just dont think the worlds most powerful country should be like this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

There are governments that are obviously worse, but none have as much power. I just dont think the worlds most powerful country should be like this.

Like what? We always help out other countries....and that includes those we've waged war with.....
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="__Chris__"]

LJS9502_basic

And which government is better?

i have made many lists lol, people ask me that all the time. Looking at my post history isnt that hard.

As for a quick list. Denmark,Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Netherlands, New Zealand. ect.

IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IAMTHEJOKER88

Some of what i'm talking about....

American Celebration

Similar thing

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I see hypocrisy in citizens of other countries as well...so why point at one? LJS9502_basic

Like what? We always help out other countries....and that includes those we've waged war with.....

its about help vs war. Some countries manage to help more then they destroy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

Half-Way

And some countries sit back and let other countries take care of all the problems in the world so they don't have to do so.....;)
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Omni-Slash

just curious..where are you from?....

from the middle east durr hurr :roll:

Is it so hard to believe that my criticism for the American government comes from an individual perspective and that i dislike nationalism more then anything else?

I dont feel patriotic for my country at all, if they do something that i consider wrong, i will criticism them. If they do something i consider right i will applaud them.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="IAMTHEJOKER88"]

American Celebration

Similar thing

so let me get this straight....you're equating those thousands of asshats that celebrated when 3,000 civilians were murdered for doing nothing more than waking up and going to work one day....to drunk college kids finding out that the scumbag that was responsible for murdering 3,000 civilians was killed....... logic fail....
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Like what? We always help out other countries....and that includes those we've waged war with.....LJS9502_basic

And some countries sit back and let other countries take care of all the problems in the world so they don't have to do so.....;)

yeah, and those deserve criticism aswell.

As for America, if you want to play world police, dont be mad when you need to do some actually helping, other then destroying for self interests.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Is it so hard to believe that my criticism for the American government comes from an individual perspective and that i dislike nationalism more then anything else?

I dont feel patriotic for my country at all, if they do something that i consider wrong, i will criticism them. If they do something i consider right i will applaud them.

so basically you're not gonna answer me?.that's your perogative......I'm just curious what your background is....if your need to overact and defend yourself by making snide remarks is so great...maybe it's something that you should take the time to exam....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

Half-Way

yeah, and those deserve criticism aswell.

As for America, if you want to play world police, dont be mad when you need to do some actually helping, other then destroying for self interests.

The US is one country that helps the most.....so I don't see the point in that statement. Both on the government level and personal level.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

so basically you're not gonna answer me?.that's your perogative......I'm just curious what your background is....if your need to overact and defend yourself by making snide remarks is so great...maybe it's something that you should take the time to exam....Omni-Slash
Most of the time in these threads when the US is bashed....they won't mention their own country. Just something I've noticed...

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

Complaining about how we celebrate the death of Osama is like complaining about how ENGLAND, FRANCE, CANADA, AUSTRALIA and OTHER ALLIED COUNTIRES celebrated the death of Adolf Hitler...

Its trollin yo...

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#29 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

What? Do they expect us to go out on the streets and chant 'God Bless America'? Disregarding the fact that I find this action dubious on both a legal and moral level, I don't think that Americans have the right to dictate how we should react to something that most of us frankly care very little about.

In the words of Michael Jackson: leave us alone, you're being ignorant.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Omni-Slash

so basically you're not gonna answer me?.that's your perogative......I'm just curious what your background is....if your need to overact and defend yourself by making snide remarks is so great...maybe it's something that you should take the time to exam....

well you asking me about my background obviously implies that you must think i have sworn loyalty to some random country that hates the USA lmao.

But believe it or not, there are actually individuals in this world. They are just few. But they have their own ideals and dont need a country to make them feel part of a group.

not to mention that i have already answered this question a few times in OT before. Imagine that. Some other Americans asked me aswell :P what a surprise.

I just wanted to say that i dont need a country full of accomplishments that i didnt have anything to do with, to make me feel better about myself and the place i live in.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

well you asking me about my background obviously implies that you must think i have sworn loyalty to some random country that hates the USA lmao.

But believe it or not, there are actually individuals in this world. They are just few. But they have their own ideals and dont need a country to make them feel part of a group.

not to mention that i have already answered this question a few times in OT before. Imagine that. Some other Americans asked me aswell :P what a surprise.

I just wanted to say that i dont need a country full of accomplishments that i didnt have anything to do with, to make me feel better about myself and the place i live in.

so you're not gonna say......fair enough........the difference is that I don't spend my time bashing other countries that I obviously know little to nothing about in a forum board to make myself feel important....
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]so basically you're not gonna answer me?.that's your perogative......I'm just curious what your background is....if your need to overact and defend yourself by making snide remarks is so great...maybe it's something that you should take the time to exam....LJS9502_basic

Most of the time in these threads when the US is bashed....they won't mention their own country. Just something I've noticed...

lmao, its norway.

Its not like i haven't gotten this questions a million times before, from nationalistic Americans that are suuuper defensive of their own government.

IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IAMTHEJOKER88

[QUOTE="IAMTHEJOKER88"]

American Celebration

Similar thing

Omni-Slash

so let me get this straight....you're equating those thousands of asshats that celebrated when 3,000 civilians were murdered for doing nothing more than waking up and going to work one day....to drunk college kids finding out that the scumbag that was responsible for murdering 3,000 civilians was killed....... logic fail....

On pincipal, considering the legality of these killings, what is the difference, both are barbaricly celebrating a person's death.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I respect you a lot more for this post OP, and I entirely agree. The thing that separates the west from these terrorists should not be their beliefs. Everyone has their own beliefs, that is unavoidable. It is how they are carried out which defines who is right and who is wrong. "Terrorists" believed america was evil, and so they forcefully killed those they believed to be evil. To assume ones self to be better, and then call them evil, and carry out your action in exactly the same sense, killing an unarmed man. regardless of how many Osama may have killed, he was then murdered no differently. Nothing can be learnt from that, and nothing good will have come of it. Its a step further to celebrate on the streets about an un-tried mans death, with newspaper headlines such as "rot in hell" Osama forced his beliefs onto the US through murder, and the US has done exactly the same in return, and just like 9/11, it will only spark more hatred and war. This would have played right into his hands, its probably what osama wanted, in his own death he will spark more hatred towards the USA than he ever has. I'm not great with words, but that's my opinion
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Omni-Slash

On pincipal, considering the legality of these killings, what is the difference, both are barbaricly celebrating a person's death.

IAMTHEJOKER88
lulz....ok...moral relativism it is....I can see posting in this thread is pointless...
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Omni-Slash

..the difference is..I don;t spend my time bashing other countries that I obviously know little to nothing about in a forum board to make myself feel important....

well i bash everything that i dont think is right, im sorry if thats not your way of doing things. And America being the center of the world. its not hard to get some info.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]so basically you're not gonna answer me?.that's your perogative......I'm just curious what your background is....if your need to overact and defend yourself by making snide remarks is so great...maybe it's something that you should take the time to exam....Half-Way

lmao, its norway.

Its not like i haven't gotten this questions a million times before, from nationalistic Americans that are suuuper defensive of their own government.

No...more like why hide where one is from while bashing another country. I have never said the US government doesn't make mistakes. It does. All governments do. They are run by humans. Humans are not perfect. But the US does help other countries. Something that gets no mention here cause it's so cool to bash the US.
IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IAMTHEJOKER88

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]so basically you're not gonna answer me?.that's your perogative......I'm just curious what your background is....if your need to overact and defend yourself by making snide remarks is so great...maybe it's something that you should take the time to exam....LJS9502_basic

I'm from the UK.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Overlord93"]I respect you a lot more for this post OP, and I entirely agree. The thing that separates the west from these terrorists should not be their beliefs. Everyone has their own beliefs, that is unavoidable. It is how they are carried out which defines who is right and who is wrong. "Terrorists" believed america was evil, and so they forcefully killed those they believed to be evil. To assume ones self to be better, and then call them evil, and carry out your action in exactly the same sense, killing an unarmed man. regardless of how many Osama may have killed, he was then murdered no differently. Nothing can be learnt from that, and nothing good will have come of it. Its a step further to celebrate on the streets about an un-tried mans death, with newspaper headlines such as "rot in hell" Osama forced his beliefs onto the US through murder, and the US has done exactly the same in return, and just like 9/11, it will only spark more hatred and war. This would have played right into his hands, its probably what osama wanted, in his own death he will spark more hatred towards the USA than he ever has. I'm not great with words, but that's my opinion

I don't see the similarity TBH. People going to work are not equal to someone who has masterminded their deaths. Not even close. Innocent =/= the guilty.
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="Half-Way"]

Half-Way

..the difference is..I don;t spend my time bashing other countries that I obviously know little to nothing about in a forum board to make myself feel important....

well i bash everything that i dont think is right, im sorry if thats not your way of doing things. And America being the center of the world. its not hard to get some info.

IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IAMTHEJOKER88

[QUOTE="IAMTHEJOKER88"]

Omni-Slash

lulz....ok...moral relativism it is....I can see posting in this thread is pointless...

no absolutism it is... you have ot draw the line somewhere. Laws cannot be relativist.

IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IAMTHEJOKER88

I respect you a lot more for this post OP, and I entirely agree. The thing that separates the west from these terrorists should not be their beliefs. Everyone has their own beliefs, that is unavoidable. It is how they are carried out which defines who is right and who is wrong. "Terrorists" believed america was evil, and so they forcefully killed those they believed to be evil. To assume ones self to be better, and then call them evil, and carry out your action in exactly the same sense, killing an unarmed man. regardless of how many Osama may have killed, he was then murdered no differently. Nothing can be learnt from that, and nothing good will have come of it. Its a step further to celebrate on the streets about an un-tried mans death, with newspaper headlines such as "rot in hell" Osama forced his beliefs onto the US through murder, and the US has done exactly the same in return, and just like 9/11, it will only spark more hatred and war. This would have played right into his hands, its probably what osama wanted, in his own death he will spark more hatred towards the USA than he ever has. I'm not great with words, but that's my opinionOverlord93

Agreed. Better said than I.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Most of the time in these threads when the US is bashed....they won't mention their own country. Just something I've noticed...

LJS9502_basic

lmao, its norway.

No...more like why hide where one is from while bashing another country. I have never said the US government doesn't make mistakes. It does. All governments do. They are run by humans. Humans are not perfect. But the US does help other countries. Something that gets no mention here cause it's so cool to bash the US.

its not like i hide behind it, considering i have answered this question in multiple threads..

Excuse me for not taking every defensive american seriously then. Obviously some of their arguments are based on facts and not patriotism

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
American celebration? I don't celebrate the death of anyone. And in day to day life I have not encountered anyone that even mentions it. The media gives a skewed view that is not representative. Second.....I'm not sure what your point is about other attacks. Every country is more affected by their problems. I doubt 9-11 was a big deal in the UK, Spain...etc.LJS9502_basic
Despite the fact that the UK went arm in arm to war with the US under the same goal of defeating terrorism, and 9/11 was a massive deal world wide...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]American celebration? I don't celebrate the death of anyone. And in day to day life I have not encountered anyone that even mentions it. The media gives a skewed view that is not representative. Second.....I'm not sure what your point is about other attacks. Every country is more affected by their problems. I doubt 9-11 was a big deal in the UK, Spain...etc.Ravensmash
Despite the fact that the UK went arm in arm to war with the US under the same goal of defeating terrorism, and 9/11 was a massive deal world wide...

And Americans did not like the attacks in London nor Madrid. But something that affects one's own country is going to be felt as a higher degree as an attack elsewhere. The UK would have had more feeling over London than NY.

__Chris__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 __Chris__

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="IAMTHEJOKER88"]

American Celebration

Similar thing

IAMTHEJOKER88

You have got to be delusional if you think celebrating the death of a mass murder, who is sworn to take down your country, is equivalent to terrorists celebrating 3000 innocent people being killed.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

lmao, its norway.

Half-Way

its not like i hide behind it, considering i have answered this question in multiple threads..

Excuse me for not taking every defensive american seriously then. Obviously some of their arguments are based on facts and not patriotism

I wasn't talking specifically about you. However, one should be clear in a specific thread and not expect people reading the thread to go through their posting history.....but if that's the game...then you can read mine and I won't have to tell you how I think either. I think you'll be busier than I in that regard.:D
IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IAMTHEJOKER88

[QUOTE="IAMTHEJOKER88"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] so let me get this straight....you're equating those thousands of asshats that celebrated when 3,000 civilians were murdered for doing nothing more than waking up and going to work one day....to drunk college kids finding out that the scumbag that was responsible for murdering 3,000 civilians was killed....... logic fail....__Chris__

You have got to be delusional if you think celebrating the death of a mass murder, who is sworn to take down your country, is equivalent to terrorists celebrating 3000 innocent people being killed.

No i don't. Different scale, same principle. Both unarmed, both illegal deaths. I just think we should celebrate justice... not whatever this is.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]..the difference is..I don;t spend my time bashing other countries that I obviously know little to nothing about in a forum board to make myself feel important....heysharpshooter

yeah i obviously am, i would love to move to America. The Airport controls themselves are a dream come true :P

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I've seen people comparing celebrating Osama's death to celebrating Hitler's, but I don't really get that, I don't think back in the 40s people were having street parties with bunting and tea because they heard that Hitler was dead. The war was still going on, it's not like it signals anything particularly significant on that score, and at the end of the day many more people would have been much more satisfied if he had be captured and then rightly tried at the Nuremberg Trials.

I think the same thing in this case. I think it was a good thing they found him and that it was a quick and clean operation in the end. But I don't see how simply killing him will make any difference and isn't anything worth celebrating particularly. I am disappointed he won't be subjected to a very public War trial.