Alcoholism: disease or not?

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#101 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've got little sympathy; people may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, but it is a consequence of their own lack of will power that one reaches the state of alcoholism.MrGeezer

How is one supposed to exercise "will power" when they don't even REALIZE that they're becoming alcoholics? That's what addictions tend to do to people. This is especially true in a society which ENOURAGES drinking as the normal thing to do.

drinking has been the normal thing to do for millenia, and for good reason.

And as for addiction, people are very aware of their addictions, they just like it so damn much they dont fess up when confronted.

Addicts are liars, theyre not stupid...they know they have a problems.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've got little sympathy; people may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, but it is a consequence of their own lack of will power that one reaches the state of alcoholism.MrGeezer

How is one supposed to exercise "will power" when they don't even REALIZE that they're becoming alcoholics? That's what addictions tend to do to people. This is especially true in a society which ENOURAGES drinking as the normal thing to do.

I'd wager that one would realise that they're turning into an alcoholic when they feel strong urges to drink. Also, at this stage I seriously doubt anyone would undergo cardiac arrest, or any other such extreme symptom of alcohol withdrawal.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

I've got little sympathy; people may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, but it is a consequence of their own lack of will power that one reaches the state of alcoholism.MetalGear_Ninty

And as for addiction, people are very aware of their addictions, they just like it so damn much they dont fess up when confronted.

Serious? How is a person suppossed to be aware they are having a physiological urge/craving for an alcoholic beverage as opposed to someone who "Just wants a beer"?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've got little sympathy; people may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, but it is a consequence of their own lack of will power that one reaches the state of alcoholism.MetalGear_Ninty

I'd wager that one would realise that they're turning into an alcoholic when they feel strong urges to drink. Also, at this stage I seriously doubt anyone would undergo cardiac arrest, or any other such extreme symptom of alcohol withdrawal.

saying people get cardiac arrest from becoming alcoholics and then stopping their alcohol consumption

is like saying people die from World of Warcraft.

Yea, there are documented cases of it happening, but it doesnt happen frequently enough for it to be a real concern.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

saying people get cardiac arrest from becoming alcoholics and then stopping their alcohol consumption

Yea, there are documented cases of it happening, but it doesnt happen frequently enough for it to be a real concern.

mrbojangles25

People DON'T die from World Of Warcraft. They die as a result of combined factors such as sleep deprivation, dehydration, and exhaustion. Meanwhile, for ANYONE to die as a result of alcohol withdrawal certainly shows that addiction is NOT "all in the mind" or "a matter of willpower."

I know you don't like anyone speaking badly about alcohol, I see you here all the time talking about how it's so healthy and everyone should drink it. But we're talking about a seriously dangerous and highly addictive drug, and it's messed to be going around telling people that they can just stop if they have a problem.

Would you advocate people to start smoking cigarettes? I mean, why not? If they end up having a problem, they can just stop, right?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

clayron

drinking has been the normalthing to do for millenia, and for good reason.

Serious? How is a person suppossed to be aware they are having a physiological urge/craving for an alcoholic beverage as opposed to someone who "Just wants a beer"?

I was addicted to cigarettes. You know how I could tell?

when I woke up, I wanted a cigarette
when I drove to work, I wanted a cigarette
when I was at work, I wanted a cigarette
when I drove home from work, I wanted a cigarette
when I got done eating, I wanted a cigarette
when I got bored of Gamespot or gaming, I wanted a cigarette
when I went downtown and drank, I wanted a cigarette
when I was done taking a crap, I wanted a cigarette
when I brought a girl home and after we did our thing, I wanted a cigarette
when I watched TV, I wanted a cigarette
when I got done working out, I wanted a cigarette
when I had a free hand available, I wanted to stick a cigarette in it.
...all I gotta say is thank god its illegal to smoke indoors, I would have been a chimney.

when pretty much all hours of the day, except after immediate consumption, you crave something...you have an addiction. If you quit, and yet that craving still exists (Oh lord I want tobacco right now), you had an addiction.

and I denied it to myself, despite knowing in my heart I had a problem. It was only when I looked at my bank statement and say how many times I was going to 711 and buying smokes that I realized my once-habit turned into an addiction.

And that is the whole issue: sometimes I feel addiction is just a term used to describe a habit gone out of control. Sure, there are genuine chemical addictions such as heroin, crack, etc but those are exceptions.

and I have friends that are alcoholics; their families all have history of alcoholism as well. I told them "I think youre an alcoholic" and one of them replied "I Know" and then we kept on drinking at 7am lol. I think she thinks that I was joking.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 MrGeezer

And that is the whole issue: sometimes I feel addiction is just a term used to describe a habit gone out of control. Sure, there are genuine chemical addictions such as heroin, crack, etc but those are exceptions.

mrbojangles25

Yeah, no one's REALLY addicted to alcohol, it's just a habit. :roll:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

MrGeezer

People DON'T die from World Of Warcraft. They die as a result of combined factors such as sleep deprivation, dehydration, and exhaustion. Meanwhile, for ANYONE to die as a result of alcohol withdrawal certainly shows that addiction is NOT "all in the mind" or "a matter of willpower."

I know you don't like anyone speaking badly about alcohol, I see you here all the time talking about how it's so healthy and everyone should drink it. But we're talking about a seriously dangerous and highly addictive drug, and it's messed to be going around telling people that they can just stop if they have a problem.

Would you advocate people to start smoking cigarettes? I mean, why not? If they end up having a problem, they can just stop, right?

hmmm good point about WoW.

and no, I dont mind you speaking ill of alcohol. I may be the resident defender and champion of alcoholic beverages, but I know enough to know that it can be dangerous if taking out of moderation.

its just, idunno, I dont see alcohol as addictive. At least no more than chocolate, coffee, posting on OT, etc.. People have addictive personalities, sure, but alcohol addictive? Not sure about that.

as for stopping, 100% of my personal experience and about 90% of what Ive read really is about just stopping. In the examples ive read and experienced, people just stopped. They had support from friends and family and AA and sponsors, sure, but they stopped.

Next to losing weight, quitting smoking is the hardest thing Ive ever done, and I only had a moderate addiction (4-6 packs a week, depending on social life). I cannot imagine how hard it is for someone with a severe addiction.

So let me just say this, before I come off as a total jackass lol...habit, addiction, disease...call if whatever you want,so long as youget help, get over it, and for those of us not addicted lets just practice some moderation

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

MrGeezer

Yeah, no one's REALLY addicted to alcohol, it's just a habit. :roll:

what can I say, I am an optimist.

by calling and "addiction" a "severe habit" youre t urning it into a mental thing, something you can overcome.

I just see people that view such things as addictions as weakening the human race:

1. they tellyou youhave a serious problem
2. that its not yourfault
3.and that you cant overcome it on your own.

These are the same folks that sue TV stations for "wardrobe malfunctions" and want to ban violent video games. Theyre turning the country into sniffling little sissies.

Well, guess what?

1. Yea, you got a big problem.
2. Actually, it is your fault. You started drinking, and like an idiot you didnt know when to stop and now you crave it
3. And yea, you can overcome it on your own. Moral support helps, sure, but in the end its your arm lifting the bottle to your mouth.

You know how you get over alcohol and other "addictions"? Stop lying to yourself, grow some balls, tell your friends and family you got a problem and want help, and take it day by day until the cravings subside to near nothing. And, for the rest of your life, keep your guard up

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#110 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

well i dont know about it being a disease or not but the old saying does work here. anything even good things in excess are bad.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
A mix of mental illness and choice.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

>*really long post*

when pretty much all hours of the day, except after immediate consumption, you crave something...you have an addiction. If you quit, and yet that craving still exists (Oh lord I want tobacco right now), you had an addiction.

and I denied it to myself, despite knowing in my heart I had a problem. It was only when I looked at my bank statement and say how many times I was going to 711 and buying smokes that I realized my once-habit turned into an addiction.

and I have friends that are alcoholics; their families all have history of alcoholism as well. I told them "I think youre an alcoholic" and one of them replied "I Know" and then we kept on drinking at 7am lol. I think she thinks that I was joking.

mrbojangles25

An addiction is more than just desire for a particular drug and habitual use. And, yes, you had an addiction. I comend you for having the ability to first recognize the addiction and then stop. Unfortunately, many people are completely unaware that they are suffering from addiction - similar to the friend you mentioned, particularly with drugs like alcohol and nicotine because they effects are not as drastic as crack and herione. However, an addiction is more than jsut a habit that gets out of control, its becomes a physical ailment.

However, alcohol is no different from herione, crack, nicotine or any other substance with regards to propensity for addiction, the symptons/effects are just different.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Wha...?

It's a toxic substance. It does nothing but kill cells. People merely drink because it makes you feel great.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]I've got little sympathy; people may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism, but it is a consequence of their own lack of will power that one reaches the state of alcoholism.mrbojangles25

If somebody knows they have a problem and doesn't do anything about it, enjoys it, even, then that's not what I'd classify as "Smart.". .

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"]It can be both be a simple weakess and a serious mental addiction.. And it can end up being a disease by becoming a phsyical addiction. ie, your body is dependant on alcohol.Pirate700

Your body cannot become dependant on alcohol. :lol:

Um, yes it can
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 MrGeezer

If somebody knows they have a problem and doesn't do anything about it, enjoys it, even, then that's not what I'd classify as "Smart.". .

Theokhoth

If someone enjoys it, then they probably aren't going to even see it as a problem until it's a BIG problem.

Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#117 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

I believe the addiction may be a disease, but the the choice to start drinking is just that, a choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
..... There have been studies showing that people who have relatives who were alocholic, say a parent or grand parent.. Are more likely to become one.. Furthermore having a family history of depression or other disorders can lead to drug abuse/alocholism.. Saying that its only choice is disingenious, the point being it can be a multitude of reasons.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#119 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Addiction.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
..... There have been studies showing that people who have relatives who were alocholic, say a parent or grand parent.. Are more likely to become one.. Furthermore having a family history of depression or other disorders can lead to drug abuse/alocholism.. Saying that its only choice is disingenious, the point being it can be a multitude of reasons.sSubZerOo
I think it has more to do with the way they're raised rather than genetics (which does play a part, but it must be so tiny that it's negligible).
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#121 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's not a disorder. You don't just one day start drinking uncontrollable. It's a choice. You start drinking, get mentally adicted to the feeling, and get hooked. I't is nothing more than a person's inability to control and moderate themselves.

If alcoholism is a disease then so is smoking.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#122 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Alcoholism is not a disease. Like any other drug with excesive use you can become addicted. Addiction not disease.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Theokhoth

It's not a disorder. You don't just one day start drinking uncontrollable. It's a choice. You start drinking, get mentally adicted to the feeling, and get hooked. I't is nothing more than a person's inability to control and moderate themselves.

If alcoholism is a disease then so is smoking.

Wasdie

Disorders often develop. And being addicted to smoking is a disease.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Theokhoth

Alcoholism is not a disease. Like any other drug with excesive use you can become addicted. Addiction not disease.

Dawq902

Addiction itself is a disease.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 MadVybz

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"]It can be both be a simple weakess and a serious mental addiction.. And it can end up being a disease by becoming a phsyical addiction. ie, your body is dependant on alcohol.DivergeUnify

Um, yes it can

How can you're body become dependent on something that does absolutely nothing other than kill cells? :|

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#126 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

If alcoholism is a disease then so is smoking.Wasdie

There are twoproblems here with your statement:

(1) It is not primarily a mental addiction. It is a chemical/physical addiction. It is in fact one of the few chemical/physical addictions that can have withdrawal symptoms that prove fatal, which is why an individual who suffers from severe alcohol addiction is brought off gradually in rehab rather than a complete withdrawal. Complete withdrawals can be fatal for reasons related to the chemical/physical addiction.

(2) You present this as if there is a mutually exclusive dichotomy between the initial choices one makes to gain the addiction through a high risk behavior and the resulting condition. When something is classified as a disease, the idea that the disease is onset with initial choices is not something that is taken into account to classify the condition as a disease. It is the function of the condition that is used to classify this, as it should be. Physical and chemical addictions fit the definition of a disease in that regard especially since they relate to the function of specific organs which have become conditioned by the continual use of the addictive substance.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
No, it's a choice that leads to an addiction. Calling it a disease is an attempt to remove ones responsibility in the matter.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"]It can be both be a simple weakess and a serious mental addiction.. And it can end up being a disease by becoming a phsyical addiction. ie, your body is dependant on alcohol.Pirate700

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry....please tell me you're only pretending to be that ignorant. Anyway, I think it's a mixture of choice and disease. You choose to start drinking, but once your body develops a physical addiction I would call it a disease.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Your body cannot become dependant on alcohol. :lol:

MadVybz

Um, yes it can

How can you're body become dependent on something that does absolutely nothing other than kill cells? :|

So you're saying alcohol withdrawal doesn't exist? :|

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

It is a behavior, not a disease.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#131 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Disease, no question about it.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Theokhoth

It is a behavior, not a disease.

Mordred19
House would be grilling you right about now. :x
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="Dawq902"]

Theokhoth

I wonder if anyone is actually going to read it.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"] Um, yes it canTheokhoth

No, I was asking a question.

I've never heard about any cases of alcohol withdrawal, which is why I asked.

Not everyone counters someone's point with a rhetorical question you know. :P

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

The ":|" implies rhetorical question.

Read and be informed: http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-sb01.html

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#136 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
It can't really be squeezed into any of the categories that you posted.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"]

MrGeezer

Judging by the current progression of this topic, doubtful. :P

Alcoholism was declared a disease over forty years ago.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

I read it

For me, the confusion stems from the absolute fact that some people are associating addiction immediately with being a disease, while others (myself) dont say it it.

what about the grey area? According to that article, addicts sacrfice most of the things (jobs, friends, family, etc) to get their fix.

What about the people that are "addicted" but still manage to function? We cant just say "Oh, thats not addiction, thats just a really bad habit".

So yea, I can see both sides of the argument now, sorry for being so resistant earlier. I think we just need to accept that there are varying degrees of addiction, with full on disease stage being near the worst part.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

mrbojangles25

I read it

For me, the confusion stems from the absolute fact that some people are associating addiction immediately with being a disease, while others (myself) dont say it it.

what about the grey area? According to that article, addicts sacrfice most of the things (jobs, friends, family, etc) to get their fix.

What about the people that are "addicted" but still manage to function? We cant just say "Oh, thats not addiction, thats just a really bad habit".

So yea, I can see both sides of the argument now, sorry for being so resistant earlier. I think we just need to accept that there are varying degrees of addiction, with full on disease stage being near the worst part.

There are 3 stages of alcoholism with quality you listed being of the first 2( I think. maybe just the first stage)
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

The ":|" implies rhetorical question.

Read and be informed: http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-sb01.html

Differences in interpretation I guess.

I read both articles, by the way. Forty years? Sheesh. I never got the memo. :lol:

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 MrGeezer

I read it

mrbojangles25

I think of it like this. There are "addicts" who manage to balance their drug abuse with their lives in a relatively healthy way. They feel like they are in control, because they pretty much are. If their drug use starts to become a problem, they cut back on it, or work harder to incorporate it into their lives in a way that isn't clearly detrimental. They manage to avoid most of the negative consequences, and can say "nope, not drinking this weekend, I have a lot of homework to do." And that actually sort of works for them.

The thing is, the fact that that DOES seem to work for them reinforces in their minds that their drug use isn't a problem. That tells them that they ARE still in control. So they stop doing the drug long enough to fulfill their responsibiities, or they cut back for a little while in order to reduce the effect that the drug has on their lives, and it seems like everything's peachy.

But the problem is that they're STILL using the drug, under the idea that they are in control of the drug, not the other way around. They saw a problem and saw that the COULD cut back or stop when they wanted to, so the fact that they do have this kind of control over the drug (and stop when they need to) tells them that they CAN use the drug safely and responsibly.

But after continuing to use the drug beyond that, their brains actually change. Eventually, they very well may reach the point where they are literally not in the right state of mind. Their brains simply aren't working the same way, and they are not thinking right. More than that, by this time, even if they know they have a problem, they have an uncontrollable compulsion to do what they've only now just realized is dangerous. Their brains have changed to the point that now it's EXTREMELY hard to quit. Before it was them saying "yeah, I'll drink another beer, because getting drunk is fun and I think I want to get just slightly drunker." But that kind of transforms into their brains saying "GET ME SOME BOOZE NOW OR I'LL MAKE YOU HURT!!"

It's just like your whole thing about smoking, and how you got addicted. Same thing happened to me. You start out as a light smoker. You gradually smoke more and more, until you find yourself smoking too much. At some point, you think "wow, I need to stop smoking so much." YOU ended up quitting. But a LOT of people simply cut down on smoking. Cutting down on smoking was easy, so they think they're all in control. So they keep on smoking. Gradually, this smoking causes the brain to change to the extent that this person suddenly finds themselves physiologically addicted to an extent that they never anticipated. For many people, this is not something that they see coming. Sure, many addicts at some point realize that they're drinking too much. But if they manage to stop or cut down without any adverse or painful effects, this just reinforces in their minds that addiction IS simply a matter of not being an idiot who drinks too much.

The irony here is that this thread has been filled with people saying "I have no sympathy for alcoholics. I can control my drinking." The irony is that that EXACT same attitude is what actually heavily contributes to many addicts using drugs to the point of severe addiction. This attitude can in many cases CONTRIBUTE to someone becoming addicted.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

I read it

MrGeezer

I think of it like this. There are "addicts" who manage to balance their drug abuse with their lives in a relatively healthy way. They feel like they are in control, because they pretty much are. If their drug use starts to become a problem, they cut back on it, or work harder to incorporate it into their lives in a way that isn't clearly detrimental. They manage to avoid most of the negative consequences, and can say "nope, not drinking this weekend, I have a lot of homework to do." And that actually sort of works for them.

The thing is, the fact that that DOES seem to work for them reinforces in their minds that their drug use isn't a problem. That tells them that they ARE still in control. So they stop doing the drug long enough to fulfill their responsibiities, or they cut back for a little while in order to reduce the effect that the drug has on their lives, and it seems like everything's peachy.

But the problem is that they're STILL using the drug, under the idea that they are in control of the drug, not the other way around. They saw a problem and saw that the COULD cut back or stop when they wanted to, so the fact that they do have this kind of control over the drug (and stop when they need to) tells them that they CAN use the drug safely and responsibly.

But after continuing to use the drug beyond that, their brains actually change. Eventually, they very well may reach the point where they are literally not in the right state of mind. Their brains simply aren't working the same way, and they are not thinking right. More than that, by this time, even if they know they have a problem, they have an uncontrollable compulsion to do what they've only now just realized is dangerous. Their brains have changed to the point that now it's EXTREMELY hard to quit. Before it was them saying "yeah, I'll drink another beer, because getting drunk is fun and I think I want to get just slightly drunker." But that kind of transforms into their brains saying "GET ME SOME BOOZE NOW OR I'LL MAKE YOU HURT!!"

It's just like your whole thing about smoking, and how you got addicted. Same thing happened to me. You start out as a light smoker. You gradually smoke more and more, until you find yourself smoking too much. At some point, you think "wow, I need to stop smoking so much." YOU ended up quitting. But a LOT of people simply cut down on smoking. Cutting down on smoking was easy, so they think they're all in control. So they keep on smoking. Gradually, this smoking causes the brain to change to the extent that this person suddenly finds themselves physiologically addicted to an extent that they never anticipated. For many people, this is not something that they see coming. Sure, many addicts at some point realize that they're drinking too much. But if they manage to stop or cut down without any adverse or painful effects, this just reinforces in their minds that addiction IS simply a matter of not being an idiot who drinks too much.

The irony here is that this thread has been filled with people saying "I have no sympathy for alcoholics. I can control my drinking." The irony is that that EXACT same attitude is what actually heavily contributes to many addicts using drugs to the point of severe addiction. This attitude can in many cases CONTRIBUTE to someone becoming addicted.

Absolutely right. It's not as black and white as they're a bad person because they can't control themselves. IT's much more complicated than that.
Dude_no_way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#143 Dude_no_way
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts
Its not a disease its all mental.