a scientific proof that GOD existes ... ( long read )...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#701 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

If I were going to play along with this thread (which I'm about to do :P ), I'd cite a couple things-

1. The distance, angle, and rotation of our Earth around the sun is so perfect, life thrives. Anyone want to do the math on the chances of all those factors lining up like that? (Don't try, numbers to the sun and back, a near infinite number of times)

2. Why do we have a conscious? Speaking in strictly evolutionary terms, survival of the fittest and all that, how does the choice between 'right and wrong' benefit us in way? (Whether or not you agree on what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' is irrelevant, we all do exercise the power we have to make choices)

I'll stop there for now. Thoughts?

musicalmac

1. Statistics are ridiculously easily manipulated. You could say the same thing about any spec of dust floating around in space. (at least when you don't take physics into account) Example: throw a random set of stones on the ground. There are litterally an infinite number of positions that the stones could end up in so it would seemingly be impossible that the stones end up in one particular position and yet the end up stopping somewhere do they not? Also you make the assumption that these exact conditions are the only possible conditions that life could form which is almost certainly not true.

2. Consciousness actually has an insanely huge evolutionary benifit. It allows us to think critically and discover things that no other organisms can. "Right and Wrong" benifits us by allowing to function as a collective organized society without falling into chaos.

Nothing is random. Everything is based on math (even if it is seemingly impossible to calculate)

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#702 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Who in here is dismissing the beliefs of another?

GabuEx
I never said any of you were. Just thought I'd see who would take that innocuous statement personally.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#703 laughingman42

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

Remember, a chair can't be made by itself and so does the universe.

gamingqueen

False dichotomy. The universe can happen the way it did with no help according to the laws of physics.

No it doesn't say that. Laws of physics give explanation for everything and none of those explanations is " by coincidence". There's an action and a doer.

By that logic, you admit that a chair can be made by itself.

Coincidence is a myth. Everything has a related cause at somepoint at time, and yes the universe did make the chair through humans.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#704 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

No it doesn't say that. Laws of physics give explanation for everything and none of those explanations is " by coincidence". There's an action and a doer.

By that logic, you admit that a chair can be made by itself.

metroidfood

By that logic, you assume every complex formation of atoms has to have a concious creator.

Creator, cause, a reason... A chair can't be made by itself. Something triggerd something, something made something else...

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#705 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

musicalmac

I never said any of you were. Just thought I'd see who would take that innocuous statement personally.

So you're more or less trolling...? :P

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#706 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]

If I were going to play along with this thread (which I'm about to do :P ), I'd cite a couple things-

1. The distance, angle, and rotation of our Earth around the sun is so perfect, life thrives. Anyone want to do the math on the chances of all those factors lining up like that? (Don't try, numbers to the sun and back, a near infinite number of times)

2. Why do we have a conscious? Speaking in strictly evolutionary terms, survival of the fittest and all that, how does the choice between 'right and wrong' benefit us in way? (Whether or not you agree on what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' is irrelevant, we all do exercise the power we have to make choices)

I'll stop there for now. Thoughts?

1). Only life as we know it thrives on Earth. Out of the infinite number of stars and planets in the universe, life existing on one is not as impossible as we like to think it is. Generally i think we're a little too big for our boots, in the grand scheme of things. 2). Morality is simply a form of natural selection to help our species survive.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#707 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Creator, cause, a reason... A chair can't be made by itself. Something triggerd something, something made something else...

gamingqueen

Exactly. What makes you think god is part of that trigger? Or "reason"?

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#708 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

musicalmac

I just gave the best answer I could based on what I think to be true and what I understand. I'm likely completely wrong or at least inaccurate, but we all are. Your point was gold, these questions have no true answer. Either we'll know when we die, or we'll slip peacefully into nonexistence. Either way is fine honestly. Death doesn't bother me in the slightest, even if there is nothing. It's just the whole dying part that irks me. There are way to many horrifically painful ways to die lol.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#709 musicalmac  Moderator

GabuEx
Only if you choose to make it so. ;)
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#710 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

*facepalm*

Threads like these remind why the religious threads fail so much.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#711 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

musicalmac

Is it really possible to induce trolling on another person? :P
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#712 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

bloodling

Let me see, I used god, power, force, greater power and greater force and I said whether religions nowadays call to believe in that force or not is different subject thus your post is irrelevant. That god could be force, power or anything else.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#713 musicalmac  Moderator

I just gave the best answer I could based on what I think to be true and what I understand. I'm likely completely wrong or at least inaccurate, but we all are. Your point was gold, these questions have no true answer. Either we'll know when we die, or we'll slip peacefully into nonexistence. Either way is fine honestly. Death doesn't bother me in the slightest, even if there is nothing. It's just the whole dying part that irks me. There are way to many horrifically painful ways to die lol.

MystikFollower
I applaud your effort, it was a valiant one. My questions were unfair, I admit it. I only asked them because they were ultimately unimportant, (per my first post in this thread) and yet still interesting to ponder.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#714 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

musicalmac

Careful, you may be inadvertently giving everyone a new defense against trolling in Ask the Mods. :P

"I wasn't trolling! His subjective interpretation of the semantic meaning of my words made it so!"

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#715 laughingman42

Valiant efforts on both accounts, sir (and same to you, Gabu). The real answer is- there is no answer, those are both loaded questions. Nobody has those answers, they are both beyond our ability to scientifically prove. All we can do is theorize, and accept the fact that right now, there are questions we just cannot answer.

This is but one of the many reasons so many choose to believe in a higher power. Scientifically, we cannot prove either way about the existence of a higher power, a supreme being, an all-seeing and all-knowing force. We can't even provide evidence that there is a watch-maker out there, who got us started, and set the whole lot in motion. :P

Again, I need to stress, this is but one of the reasons people would believe in a higher power. It's foolish to dismiss the beliefs of another, especially if you base it on your own personal experience.

musicalmac

Only the first question was loaded and that is because it doesn't take into account outside factors (which I explained in my answer) and the second question isn't loaded at all. It's easily explained (again check my answer)

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#716 musicalmac  Moderator

Only the first question was loaded and that is because it doesn't take into account outside factors (which I explained in my answer) and the second question isn't loaded at all. It's easily explained (again check my answer)

laughingman42
Oh they're both definitely loaded. No question that deep is that easily explained. ;)
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#717 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

gamingqueen

Let me see, I used god, power, force, greater power and greater force and I said whether religions nowadays call to believe in that force or not is different subject thus your post is irrelevant. That god could be force, power or anything else.

That's not what I call a god. That's not how most atheists call it either.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#718 Ninja-Hippo
In any event, i think we need to re-think what 'proof' means. :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#719 GabuEx

In any event, i think we need to re-think what 'proof' means. :PNinja-Hippo

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

- The Rt. Hon. Jean Chrétien

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#720 laughingman42

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]

musicalmac

Oh they're both definitely loaded. No question that deep is that easily explained. ;)

The first question is not deep because it really isn't a valid question, and I'm not sure why you think that the second question is deep. The answer really is that simple. Concepts of right and wrong help bring order to society (scientifically proven) which lets the species thrive through cooperation (again scientifically proven)

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#721 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

- The Rt. Hon. Jean Chrétien

GabuEx

That surely is a proof-proof statement :?

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#722 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]

Valiant efforts on both accounts, sir (and same to you, Gabu). The real answer is- there is no answer, those are both loaded questions. Nobody has those answers, they are both beyond our ability to scientifically prove. All we can do is theorize, and accept the fact that right now, there are questions we just cannot answer.

This is but one of the many reasons so many choose to believe in a higher power. Scientifically, we cannot prove either way about the existence of a higher power, a supreme being, an all-seeing and all-knowing force. We can't even provide evidence that there is a watch-maker out there, who got us started, and set the whole lot in motion. :P

Again, I need to stress, this is but one of the reasons people would believe in a higher power. It's foolish to dismiss the beliefs of another, especially if you base it on your own personal experience.

laughingman42

My friend, are you familiar with the hard problem of consciousness? Cause to date, scientists are really no closer than they were years ago to solving it. If you have some source or new information that suggests otherwise please share, cause I've been eagerly awaiting the day neurologists announce they've discovered what gives us subjective experience.

EDIT: In hindsight I slightly misread the second question, but I still believe it applies to the hard problem of consciousness since our subjective experience gives rise to our sense of morality among other things.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#723 laughingman42

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]

MystikFollower

My friend, are you familiar with the hard problem of consciousness? Cause to date, scientists are really no closer than they were years ago to solving it. If you have some source or new information that suggests otherwise please share, cause I've been eagerly awaiting the day neurologists announce they've discovered what gives us subjective experience.

EDIT: In hindsight I slightly misread the second question, but I still believe it applies to the hard problem of consciousness since our subjective experience gives rise to our sense of morality among other things.

He asked why it is benificial not how it happened. There is a huge difference.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#724 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]

laughingman42

Well it's beneficial for the stability of civilized society to maintain itself of course. As I said I misread the question originally and thought it referred to consciousness not the conscience.

gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#725 gubrushadow
Member since 2009 • 2735 Posts

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

MystikFollower

Well it's beneficial for the stability of civilized society to maintain itself of course. As I said I misread the question originally and thought it referred to consciousness not the conscience.

sorry dude , the message could not be sent :? oh well if i dont fix it tommorrow , i will send it somewhere on the forums....i have to go now bye .
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#726 musicalmac  Moderator

MystikFollower

Your answer to laughingman42 is still valid. There is no simple answer to my question. I regret posing it, I didn't know it would get such vehement and absolute responses. :P

The heart of the issue regarding the human conscious usually turns into a discussion of the id, and that leads down an ugly path.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#727 bloodling

When we die, our conscience dies. When our conscience is dead, we are the same as we were before we were born. Which means we will be born again eventually (as a human hopefully).

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#728 GabuEx

When we die, our conscience dies.

bloodling

Assuming you mean "consciousness", do we even know what it is, let alone what happens to it when our physical body ceases to function?

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#729 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

GabuEx

Assuming you mean "consciousness", do we even know what it is, let alone what happens to it when our physical body ceases to function?

Absolutely, but you won't be able to think with the same mental capabilities with it, that's for sure.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#730 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

Absolutely, but you won't be able to think with the same mental capabilities with it, that's for sure.

If we don't know what consciousness is, then how do we know that?

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#731 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

GabuEx

One of two possibilities. It's either arisen from processes in the brain, which scientists can't figure out how that would be possible, or it's an awareness that permeates all existence and which the brain transmits into conscious "I" experience. Both ideas have pretty solid theories behind them but at this point neither can be proven or disproved. I think that solving the Hard problem however is going to be a major step in either proving the existence of an immaterial consciousness (soul), or proving that everything that we experience through our consciousness is simply the result of chemical processes.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#732 laughingman42

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

musicalmac

Your answer to laughingman42 is still valid. There is no simple answer to my question. I regret posing it, I didn't know it would get such vehement and absolute responses. :P

The heart of the issue regarding the human conscious usually turns into a discussion of the id, and that leads down an ugly path.

Now you are going into how it works not why it is benificial (which I will admit does not have a simple answer) but the why it is benificail has already been shown.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#733 bloodling

GabuEx

Because a consciousness needs a brain to think.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#734 musicalmac  Moderator

Now you are going into how it works not why it is benificial (which I will admit does not have a simple answer) but the why it is benificail has already been shown.

laughingman42
But those two things are intrinsically linked. You cannot answer one without examining the other. There are things we just don't know. :P
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#735 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

GabuEx
I know what it is [spoiler] but I'm not going to tell you; neener neener neener [/spoiler]
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#736 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

bloodling

Because a consciousness needs a brain to think.

Or is a brain simply a vessel by which the thoughts of a consciousness may be transferred into physical effects?

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#737 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

xaos

I know what it is [spoiler] but I'm not going to tell you; neener neener neener [/spoiler]

Mousetaches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#738 Mousetaches
Member since 2009 • 1293 Posts

I feel like a thread that started off trying to prove God's existence with pseudo-science and misinterpretations needs a picture like this:

Creationists:

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#739 bloodling

Or is a brain simply a vessel by which the thoughts of a consciousness may be transferred into physical effects?

GabuEx

The brain is the vessel, the neurons and other stuff create thoughts, consciousness is only a concept.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#740 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

bloodling

The brain is the vessel, the neurons and other stuff create thoughts, consciousness is only a concept.

So if you created an identical human with an identical brain, would the person perceive himself as being conscious in two bodies at the same time?

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#741 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

So if you created an identical human with an identical brain, would the person perceive himself as being conscious in two bodies at the same time?

No, for that exact reason, it's a concept.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#742 GabuEx

bloodling

It's a concept that I perceive myself as existing within or as a body?

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#743 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

GabuEx

No, the word consciousness is a concept. What is it? It's really vague.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#744 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

No, the word consciousness is a concept. What is it? It's really vague.

Consciousness as I understand it is the self awareness behind all thought that we normally identify ourselves with. It's not the thoughts or chemical emotions in the brain, it's the self awareness behind all thoughts. It's the space in which thoughts can be experienced. If you'll notice when you become aware of your thinking, you are having thoughts, but you are also experiencing and aware that you're having thoughts. That's what I see consciousness as.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#745 bloodling

Well, I'd say you can see it in 2 ways: the overall result of our brain's process and what you said.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#746 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

I'd say the fact that physical changes in the brain have had effects on people's personalities is a pretty strong indication of a causative relationship between the physical brain and consciousness
ZCatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#747 ZCatan
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

[QUOTE="ZCatan"] All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. In other words, all have sinned, including you and me. Our sin separates us from God, because He is sinless and cannot be in the presence of sin. If you die a sinner, then you will forever remain separated from God. But, if you put your faith and trust solely in God's promised sacrifice for sin, Jesus Christ, who paid the penalty for your sins at the cross, then all your sins will be wiped clean, past, present, and future, and you will live forever with God in Heaven.N30F3N1X

Define "sin".

Sin is a violation of God's Law. His Will is that none should perish, but have everlasting life. But because no one has kept God's Law perfectly, we are all doomed to suffer the consequences unless we repent at turn to Jesus, the Son of God, for salvation. Jesus, being fully Man and fully God, was born without the sin nature that the rest of us normal humans have. Jesus lived a sinless, perfect life, and died on the cross in YOUR place for YOUR sins. Jesus has paid the price for YOUR sins, so now all you need to do is trust in Him alone as your personal Savior, and you will be permanently saved.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#748 bloodling

we are all doomed, so now all you need to do is trust in Him alone as your personal Savior, and you will be permanently saved.ZCatan

You sound very convinced.

ZCatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#749 ZCatan
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

[QUOTE="ZCatan"]we are all doomed, so now all you need to do is trust in Him alone as your personal Savior, and you will be permanently saved.bloodling

You sound very convinced.

haha you took parts from two different sentences and meshed them into one so that it sounded funny. But seriously, I am convinced, because God has proven Himself to me over and over again. But the main question is, are you convinced, bloodling?
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#750 bloodling

haha you took parts from two different sentences and meshed them into one so that it sounded funny. But seriously, I am convinced, because God has proven Himself to me over and over again. But the main question is, are you convinced, bloodling?ZCatan

No, but I am curious, what is this proof?