A question about Medical Insurance: Is this fair?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I don't know about other states, but in the state of New York, a poor person with no income can get free medical insurance (Medicaid). This insurance is absolutely free, so expensive drugs and medical services cost nothing. Examples: 1. Drugs which cost hundreds of dollars are completely free for Medicaid recipients. 2. A medicaid recipient who receives standard or emergency medical services recieves a bill of $0.00. However, people with jobs, even those with low income jobs, can't receive Medicaid. Do you think this is fair?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Well here in Florida you can pretty much buy any drug for $3 generic, as long as it's not something insane like cancer pills, and the whole hospital thing is lame, just don't give em your social and you get free treatment since they can't deny you, or just claim you're illegal. It's not really fair, but it's not something you can simply fix over night.

*This reminds me of some local guy robbing a Wells Fargo to simply get into prison so he could get free chemotherapy because he didn't qualify for medicare.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

Personally I don't think so.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
No, government enforced redistribution of wealth/resources isn't fair.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Fairly certain Medicaid still requires co-pays on many drugs. Plus the biggest difference is those on Medicaid are often very limited as to which Doctors accept that form of coverage, so although the care is "free", medical providers that will actually attend to them tend to be in 'lower income' areas and getting any sort of help isn't always very easy.
kabphillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kabphillie
Member since 2012 • 291 Posts

Would you rather these poor people have no insurance, go to the emergency room, be treated and not be able to pay, so the hospital system has to pay, which gets passed on to other folks through higher prices.

Either way isn't fair.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fightingfan
Fairly certain Medicaid still requires co-pays on many drugs. Plus the biggest difference is those on Medicaid are often very limited as to which Doctors accept that form of coverage, so although the care is "free", medical providers that will actually attend to them tend to be in 'lower income' areas and getting any sort of help isn't always very easy. SaintLeonidas
True, but from a doctor's prospective who wouldn't want to take medicare? It's practically free money.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Laihendi

Would you rather these poor people have no insurance, go to the emergency room, be treated and not be able to pay, so the hospital system has to pay, which gets passed on to other folks through higher prices.

Either way isn't fair.

kabphillie
Charity should be voluntary. That means people who can't afford medical care shouldn't be given medical care unless someone voluntary offers him/her an opportunity to receive medical care as an act of charity.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BluRayHiDef

I think that working people with low incomes should also qualify. If you have no income and are a Medicaid recipient, once you obtain a job, even a low income one (minimum wage), your Medicaid is cut. That's not fair.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Fairly certain Medicaid still requires co-pays on many drugs. Plus the biggest difference is those on Medicaid are often very limited as to which Doctors accept that form of coverage, so although the care is "free", medical providers that will actually attend to them tend to be in 'lower income' areas and getting any sort of help isn't always very easy. Fightingfan
True, but from a doctor's prospective who wouldn't want to take medicare? It's practically free money.

You'd think, but here in MA if you have "free" healthcare instead of paying for it, it is often very difficult to find a Doctor. I was on it for about a year once in college because of financial reasons, it was cheaper than my school's healthcare. Just trying to get a check up was a pain, and once I found someone who accepted the coverage it was as I said in a low income area, and not the best place you want to be visiting. I'm much happier now actually paying for my works healthcare.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="kabphillie"]

Either way isn't fair.

Laihendi

Charity should be voluntary. That means people who can't afford medical care shouldn't be given medical care unless someone voluntary offers him/her an opportunity to receive medical care as an act of charity.

because dying because your poor is way more fair.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I think that working people with low incomes should also qualify. If you have no income and are a Medicaid recipient, once you obtain a job, even a low income one (minimum wage), your Medicaid is cut. That's not fair.

BluRayHiDef

Since you are working, isnt that where health insurance comes into effect, including the now-mandated government health insurance?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Fairly certain Medicaid still requires co-pays on many drugs. Plus the biggest difference is those on Medicaid are often very limited as to which Doctors accept that form of coverage, so although the care is "free", medical providers that will actually attend to them tend to be in 'lower income' areas and getting any sort of help isn't always very easy. SaintLeonidas

You'd think, but here in MA if you have "free" healthcare instead of paying for it, it is often very difficult to find a Doctor. I was on it for about a year once in college because of financial reasons, it was cheaper than my school's healthcare. Just trying to get a check up was a pain, and once I found someone who accepted the coverage it was as I said in a low income area, and not the best place you want to be visiting. I'm much happier now actually paying for my works healthcare.

Interesting, I guess different states handle it different, I typically visited my doctor in Naples, and I had medicare as a child, and if you simply google 'Naples Florida' there's no low income what-so-ever in that city. Personally I don't see the point in health insurance(unless for surgeries, which is sketchy, they typically don't even cover dental), I much rather just pay my doctor 125 bucks and go to CVS and get my generic meds for $3, since I maybe go to the doctor once every two years.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BluRayHiDef

Here is an article explaining why some medical institutions don't accept Medicaid.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
[QUOTE="kabphillie"]

Either way isn't fair.

Laihendi

Fvck off with that Ayn Rand stuff.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan

Here is an article explaining why some medical institutions don't accept Medicaid.

BluRayHiDef
Why I agree, if they only get paid 1/3 of the price it is somewhat off putting, it seems to lead more towards greed. You don't even need to spend anytime with a patient to be honest, have an earache? OK, here's a prescription for some amoxicillin, takes less then 10 minutes.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts
To talk about fair there's more to health care reform that just helping the uninsured, for instance lets not forget problems of people who actually have insurance that encounter troubles when the insurance companies don't want to pay for their care and the insurance company would do anything to take that insurance away, or people who could pay for insurance but insurance companies didn't want them in their pool for pre-existing conditions.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="kabphillie"]

Either way isn't fair.

Guybrush_3

It is fair for someone to die if they have no means of living and there is no one who actually wants to help them.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

XaosII

Since you are working, isnt that where health insurance comes into effect, including the now-mandated government health insurance?

I don't know how Obama Care works, but I doubt that a company/ employer would dish out money to take care of a minimum-wage employee's medical expenses. The employee would cost the company/ employer too much money and would't be worth hiring.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

Interesting, I guess different states handle it different, I typically visited my doctor in Naples, and I had medicare as a child, and if you simply google 'Naples Florida' there's no low income what-so-ever in that city. Personally I don't see the point in health insurance(unless for surgeries, which is sketchy, they typically don't even cover dental), I much rather just pay my doctor 125 bucks and go to CVS and get my generic meds for $3, since I maybe go to the doctor once every two years.Fightingfan

Once every two YEARS? Jesus Christ man, until about a year ago I was at the doctors 48 weeks out of the year (not all week, only on Mondays). Now it's somewhat less, but every two years?? Sounds like a dream to me. Hopefully you'll never have to see the point in health insurance, but personally I can't see anything being more relevant.

On-topic: people able to work should pay their way, but those who've been dealt a sh!tty hand and are fighting against constant illness should be lent some assistance. Or at the very least, not looked down upon by those who've had the biggest blessing life could ever give them.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BluRayHiDef
[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Charity should be voluntary. That means people who can't afford medical care shouldn't be given medical care unless someone voluntary offers him/her an opportunity to receive medical care as an act of charity.Laihendi

It is fair for someone to die if they have no means of living and there is no one who actually wants to help them.

That's some hardcore sh*t right there.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XaosII

I don't know how Obama Care works, but I doubt that a company/ employer would dish out money to take care of a minimum-wage employee's medical expenses. The employee would cost the company/ employer too much money and would't be worth hiring.BluRayHiDef

Well... Thats kinda how insurance works, even for low wage workers. Even low wage workers pay for the insurance during times when they aren't sick.

I'm not terribly familiar with how corporate insurance policy rates work, but i dont believe they simply jack up the price if several employees use the insurance. The point of having the insurance is to use it.

As far as the government manded insurance works, anyone not under employer healthcare has to pay either $95 a year for an individual, or $285 for families. That will be to cover insurance.

At that point, medicaid will be provided for far less individuals.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Interesting, I guess different states handle it different, I typically visited my doctor in Naples, and I had medicare as a child, and if you simply google 'Naples Florida' there's no low income what-so-ever in that city. Personally I don't see the point in health insurance(unless for surgeries, which is sketchy, they typically don't even cover dental), I much rather just pay my doctor 125 bucks and go to CVS and get my generic meds for $3, since I maybe go to the doctor once every two years.MirkoS77

Once every two YEARS? Jesus Christ man, until about a year ago I was at the doctors 48 weeks out of the year (not all week, only on Mondays). Now it's somewhat less, but every two years?? Sounds like a dream to me. Hopefully you'll never have to see the point in health insurance, but personally I can't see anything being more relevant.

On-topic: people able to work should pay their way, but those who've been dealt a sh!tty hand and are fighting against constant illness should be lent some assistance. Or at the very least, not looked down upon by those who've had the biggest blessing life could ever give them.

What about minimum-wage workers? They can't even afford the average cost of living, so how do you suppose they'd be able to afford medical insurance?
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

What about minimum-wage workers? They can't even afford the average cost of living, so how do you suppose they'd be able to afford medical insurance?BluRayHiDef
Education? Working two jobs? Working up the job ladder? Or any of the other realms of possibilities for self-improvent and career advancement that sickness precludes the ill from obtaining the finances needed for coverage. Or no coverage at all? I have friends that have none, and have had none for years and years.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fightingfan
Where are you from Blu? You always link articles to my home town in your threads, the Fort Myers/Naples/Estero area, quite scary.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BluRayHiDef
Where are you from Blu? You always link articles to my home town in your threads, the Fort Myers/Naples/Estero area, quite scary.Fightingfan
I'm from and am in New York City. I never noticed that the articles I post concern events that occur at your location.
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

Yes, it's fair imo.

I know I would rather be middle class and paying for insurance than broke with free care.

It needs to be expanded since Obamacare doesn't mirror it.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Where are you from Blu? You always link articles to my home town in your threads, the Fort Myers/Naples/Estero area, quite scary.BluRayHiDef
I'm from and am in New York City. I never noticed that the articles I post concern events that occur at your location.

Well, I'm not from Cape Coral, but I do believe you posted a local news station that had a video in the Cape Coral/Lehigh Area.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts
Oh look BRHD is against social programs. Bet he hates giving out food stamps so children can eat......:roll:
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BluRayHiDef
FYI, I'm not against social programs. However, I think they should be implemented more fairly.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts
FYI, I'm not against social programs. However, I think they should be implemented more fairly.BluRayHiDef
Hello...poor....need social programs. Non poor....not so much. That is fair.:|
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XaosII

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]FYI, I'm not against social programs. However, I think they should be implemented more fairly.LJS9502_basic

Its totally fine to disagree and have conservative principles, but as you noted, no one has actually attacked him and put words in his mouth like "i bet he hates poor people." His ideas aren't ass backwards, like most conservative view points, and he's asking for more information.

And plenty of middle class and upper class people take advantage of social programs, especially education.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Laihendi
[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]FYI, I'm not against social programs. However, I think they should be implemented more fairly.LJS9502_basic

There is nothing fair about theft.
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JoGoSo
[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Charity should be voluntary. That means people who can't afford medical care shouldn't be given medical care unless someone voluntary offers him/her an opportunity to receive medical care as an act of charity.Laihendi

People do want to help them. Argument invalid.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
It is fair for someone to die if they have no means of living and there is no one who actually wants to help them.Laihendi
You're mistaking fairness for arbitrariness.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

BluRayHiDef
In 2014 they will qualify.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

JoGoSo

Not every tax payer wants to help some anonymous stranger, and yet the government forces them to anyways. My argument is valid.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

JoGoSo

I'm racist, so I don't want to help certain people.
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JoGoSo

[QUOTE="JoGoSo"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] It is fair for someone to die if they have no means of living and there is no one who actually wants to help them.Laihendi

Not every tax payer wants to help some anonymous stranger, and yet the government forces them to anyways. My argument is valid.

That's the beauty & curse of the tax code - It requires you to pay in such a way that your money can be used anyway the government sees fit. I hate funding war efforts, but they didn't ask my opinion on the matter. Fortunately, enough people feel that social services is a worthy enough cause to keep funding. Otherwise, the purely evil guys would have been elected already.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Fairly certain Medicaid still requires co-pays on many drugs. Plus the biggest difference is those on Medicaid are often very limited as to which Doctors accept that form of coverage, so although the care is "free", medical providers that will actually attend to them tend to be in 'lower income' areas and getting any sort of help isn't always very easy. Fightingfan

Except you pay it through your taxes.. People seem not to understand this what so ever, so what we have is here in the United States we pay 2 to 3 times more for our healthcare which is statistically worse than the majority of the other healthcares in the west..
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Fairly certain Medicaid still requires co-pays on many drugs. Plus the biggest difference is those on Medicaid are often very limited as to which Doctors accept that form of coverage, so although the care is "free", medical providers that will actually attend to them tend to be in 'lower income' areas and getting any sort of help isn't always very easy. sSubZerOo

Except you pay it through your taxes.. People seem not to understand this what so ever, so what we have is here in the United States we pay 2 to 3 times more for our healthcare which is statistically worse than the majority of the other healthcares in the west..

Why would a doctor care that you're paying him too much?
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JoGoSo
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Fairly certain Medicaid still requires co-pays on many drugs. Plus the biggest difference is those on Medicaid are often very limited as to which Doctors accept that form of coverage, so although the care is "free", medical providers that will actually attend to them tend to be in 'lower income' areas and getting any sort of help isn't always very easy. sSubZerOo

tO BE FAIR, This is entirely relative. My healthcare is excellent and I would never dream of going to a doctor outside the USA. The cost and the quality are two very different animals and because health is a for profit business here, it's very much a get what you pay for situation
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JoGoSo
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] True, but from a doctor's prospective who wouldn't want to take medicare? It's practically free money.

Why would a doctor care that you're paying him too much?

The doctor isn't paid too much (Especially with Medicare. Some doctors don't even bother accepting it) except in relation to the rest of the planet. Doctors make great money in the states although they have to pay some pretty high operating costs too. We demand the latest and greatest in technology and procedures over here and if something goes wrong, we are sue happy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That's not entirely true. Medicaid doesn't necessarily cover every medicine. Furthermore, many doctors won't take medicaid. It pays them very little compared to medicaid or other insurances. So many doctors choose not to take it because they lose money on every patient seen with it. But regardless, if the problem is that working class people get screwed, then you should strive to make the system better for them instead of trying to equalize it by making it worse for medicaid recipients.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

BluRayHiDef

If it's completely eliminated, that is a problem. However, as people make more money (i.e., increase to a lower income job from no job) it makes sense that they should put forth more as income rises, eventually to the point where they cover their costs at a certain income level deemed enough to support themselves.

C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

Either way isn't fair.

kabphillie

That's what happens anyways. Hence Romney/Obamacare.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
No, and I hate that I have to pay for roads even though I have no car and law enforcement even though I don't need it. And why the HELL do I have to pay for firefighters? If people can't afford to buy a good enough sprinkler system, it's their own fault! 12 years olds talking about problems in society without have a clue :lol:
Zyamaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zyamaman
Member since 2006 • 1783 Posts

[QUOTE="JoGoSo"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] It is fair for someone to die if they have no means of living and there is no one who actually wants to help them.Laihendi

Not every tax payer wants to pay taxes. Yet the government forces them anyway. And if you refuse still, specially designated people will come by your house, and take all your sh[size=1].[/size]it! And the house, too!

Can you believe this?! Those blood sucking commie-fascist pigdogs!

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#50 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Personally i think it's stupid that we even pay "medical bills" , if someone doesn't have enough money you'll just leave him to die?. It should be free for everyone.