71% Favor the Washington Redskins Keeping Their Nickname.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll 71% Favor the Washington Redskins Keeping Their Nickname. (36 votes)

Yes, the Team Should Keep the Redskins Nickname. 58%
No, the Team Should Change the Redskins Nickname. 42%

Poll: 71 percent say keep Redskins

From the article:

Nearly three-fourths of Americans favor letting the Washington Redskins keep their nickname, but the percentage who think it should be changed has tripled in the past two decades, according to a poll conducted by Langer Research for "Outside the Lines."

Nearly a quarter (23 percent) of Americans surveyed now think the name should be changed, up from 8 percent in 1992 and up 9 percentage points in the past year alone.

The poll of 1,019 Americans, conducted on landlines and cellphones between Aug. 20 and Aug. 24, found that 71 percent favor keeping the nickname -- but that's down from 89 percent when the question was first asked 22 years ago. It also found that 68 percent of people responding think the nickname is not disrespectful of Native Americans, compared to just 9 percent who say it is "a lot" disrespectful. (Nineteen percent say it shows "some" disrespect.)

The polling conducted for "Outside the Lines" showed no difference in attitude between men and women, or whites and non-whites.

Politically, however, 89 percent of Republicans and 88 percent of people who consider themselves conservative say the team should keep its name, compared to just 58 percent for Democrats and 53 percent for liberals, according to the poll. In terms of political leanings, 83 percent of Republicans see no disrespect in the Redskins name. That drops to 68 percent of independents and 57 percent of Democrats.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A nonscientific survey by ESPN's NFL Nation revealed that 58 percent (167) of 286 players questioned say the Redskins should not change their name, but 42 percent (119) said they should. Of 51 Redskins players polled in a separate survey, 26 said the team should keep the name, one said it should be changed, and 24 didn't want to answer.

NFL Nation polled 51 Redskins players in a separate survey, with 26 (51 percent) saying they should keep the nickname and one saying it should be changed. Twenty-four players said they didn't want to answer -- a handful saying it was up to owner Dan Snyder or team president Bruce Allen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11452022/nfl-nation-confidential-majority-players-support-washington-redskins-nickname

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta say, Redskins doesn't feel like a slur in the way I feel apprehension for a word like nig***. Maybe the fact that while African Americans and Native Americans have suffered similar atrocities throughout history, the plight of AA have been more extensively documented and remained in the public sphere to this day while it might have inadvertently sidelined the grievances NA might still have. Perhaps I have been desensitized by years of watching the NFL and the Washington Redskins nickname being virtually incontrovertible.

The meaning or connotation of words can change through time.

I would say that I'm indifferent whether or not the team changes the name. But if there is evidence that a significant number of Native Americans find the term disrespectful and derogatory then I would support efforts to make the team change its name.

So what about you OT? Should the Washington Redskins change their name or is this just an example of the PC Police run amok?

• 
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

They should just change it already. It is offensive to some. Plus it is just a shitty name anyway. With the addition of RG3, and a new coach this year, and a shitty season last year, they would have had a great opportunity this summer to rebrand and start "fresh" - and avoid all of this bullshit.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

They should just change it. We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if the team name were the 'blackies' or something similar.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

This story is proof that PC´ness has gone way way way overboard and when even Stewert begins to go crazy about it and jump on the "they should change it" its even more clear that they should of course keep it.

This is nothing but censorship and censorship is censorship no matter how its done. And any censorship should be stopped at the spot.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintLeonidas

Well, there is your answer. If Jacanuk has an opinion on something, the opposite is of course the right thing to do.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

Not this crap again. With all the problems in the world this is what people bug about? Keep the name.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheWalkingGhost

@SaintLeonidas said:

They should just change it already. It is offensive to some. Plus it is just a shitty name anyway. With the addition of RG3, and a new coach this year, and a shitty season last year, they would have had a great opportunity this summer to rebrand and start "fresh" - and avoid all of this bullshit.

Terrible logic. You shouldn't change a name because of that, you will find people offended by anything Some find the name Buccaneers offensive, better change it now.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaintLeonidas

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Terrible logic. You shouldn't change a name because of that, you will find people offended by anything Some find the name Buccaneers offensive, better change it now.

...right, yeah, because the offense one might get from Buccaneers is equal to that of Redskin...speaking of terrible logic. And that "some" is a race of people, who have every right to find it offensive. Especially given the history they have in this country.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk

@HoolaHoopMan said:

They should just change it. We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if the team name were the 'blackies' or something similar.

Oh, you mean Chicago Blackhawks?

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheWalkingGhost

@SaintLeonidas said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

...right, yeah, because the offense one might get from Buccaneers is equal to that of Redskin...speaking of terrible logic. And that "some" is a race of people, who have every right to find it offensive. Especially given the history they have in this country.

Way to miss the point by about a lightyear. And not all "Native Americans" are offended by it.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheWalkingGhost

@Jacanuk said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Technically that team was named after the 86th Infantry Division during World War 1, in which the owner at the time was in the past a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of it.
Just pointing that out.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jacanuk

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Technically that team was named after the 86th Infantry Division during World War 1, in which the owner at the time was in the past a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of it.

Just pointing that out.

And Technically Redskins got their name because they originally were playing out of Fenway park the home of the Boston Red Sox, which made the owner name it Boston Redskins.

But in the end its still all about free speech vs censorship because some native american women found that she was offended by the name. And in any scenario free speech should win.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Might as well get PC on all other "Indian" slurs as well. Change all the little league and minor team names to something less "offensive".

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/06/17/why-chicago-blackhawks-logo-okay-washington-redskins-racist-149937

I gotta say that as a Native American I am offended by the name Redskins. I'm not a fan of it. I've never called any of my fellow Native Americans a Redskin. Its a name that I've been called by Caucasians before. Among many other slurs including Prairie N*****. When not being called many other slurs I've had guys call me Chief, Brave, and been asked if I had the wampum to afford certain things. A woman went up to me while I was at a bar and raised her hand up and said 'How'. I raised my hand up and said 'How', then lowered it down to shake her and and said, 'are you?' She left humiliated. I've been asked if it was legal for me to be off the reservation. I've faced many a strange scenario in my lifetime and met many different people. And never once has a Native called me a Redskin.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheWalkingGhost

@bunchanumbers said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/06/17/why-chicago-blackhawks-logo-okay-washington-redskins-racist-149937

I gotta say that as a Native American I am offended by the name Redskins. I'm not a fan of it. I've never called any of my fellow Native Americans a Redskin. Its a name that I've been called by Caucasians before. Among many other slurs including Prairie N*****. When not being called many other slurs I've had guys call me Chief, Brave, and been asked if I had the wampum to afford certain things. A woman went up to me while I was at a bar and raised her hand up and said 'How'. I raised my hand up and said 'How', then lowered it down to shake her and and said, 'are you?' She left humiliated. I've been asked if it was legal for me to be off the reservation. I've faced many a strange scenario in my lifetime and met many different people. And never once has a Native called me a Redskin.

So, you want the Kansas City Chiefs and Atlanta Braves to change their names to? Honest question.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

LMAO, most of the people who are "offended" by the name are probably white people being "offended" on behalf of Native Americans. We should poll Native Americans and let that them decide if the name should stick around. I know some people don't think white privilege exists, but being able to be "offended" on behalf of a minority group seems like one hell of a privilege. Just throwing that out there.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheWalkingGhost

@gamerguru100 said:

LMAO, most of the people who are "offended" by the name are probably white people being "offended" on behalf of Native Americans. We should poll Native Americans and let that them decide if the name should stick around. I know some people don't think white privilege exists, but being able to be "offended" on behalf of a minority group seems like one hell of a privilege. Just throwing that out there.

Take it back. Native American tribes, yes whole tribes have been mad about this name for decades. Just stop, save yourself the trouble and embarrassment.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

And Technically Redskins got their name because they originally were playing out of Fenway park the home of the Boston Red Sox, which made the owner name it Boston Redskins.

But in the end its still all about free speech vs censorship because some native american women found that she was offended by the name. And in any scenario free speech should win.

Um...unless the government FORCES the Redskins to change their name, then changing their name would be an act of free speech.

It's just like when you're macking on some fly honey in the club, and she gets offended when you compliment her on her big fat ass. You can apologize and then complain about how she was suppressing your free speech, but that'd be bullshit. She didn't make you censor yourself, you did that to yourself. You were free to maintain your stance on her butt being big, and ruin your chances of getting laid. It's not her fault that you thought that potentially getting laid was more important than standing by your words.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheWalkingGhost

@MrGeezer said:

@Jacanuk said:

Um...unless the government FORCES the Redskins to change their name, then changing their name would be an act of free speech.

It's just like when you're macking on some fly honey in the club, and she gets offended when you compliment her on her big fat ass. You can apologize and then complain about how she was suppressing your free speech, but that'd be bullshit. She didn't make you censor yourself, you did that to yourself. You were free to maintain your stance on her butt being big, and ruin your chances of getting laid. It's not her fault that you thought that potentially getting laid was more important than standing by your words.

This comments and your name is just comical. LOL.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamerguru100

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Take it back. Native American tribes, yes whole tribes have been mad about this name for decades. Just stop, save yourself the trouble and embarrassment.

Why? Is it not a privilege for a majority group to act offended on behalf of a minority group? I still think polling Native Americans would be the fairest option here, since the name takes a shot at that particular racial group.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

Indians are honored to be remembered in a game that takes bravery and courage. The only people that are offended are those white people who are 1/75th cherokee or from the ACLU.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheWalkingGhost

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Why? Is it not a privilege for a majority group to act offended on behalf of a minority group? I still think polling Native Americans would be the fairest option here, since the name takes a shot at that particular racial group.

For the love....It's Native American groups driving this, not white people as they just picked it up. Heck, native american groups have aired commercials about it. Also anybody can act offended for others, even black people who have stated offense.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PurpleLabel

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

For the love....It's Native American groups driving this, not white people as they just picked it up. Heck, native american groups have aired commercials about it. Also anybody can act offended for others, even black people who have stated offense.

If native americans are so offended, maybe they should just go back to their own country. Nobody is forcing them to live here.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamerguru100

@purplelabel said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

If native americans are so offended, maybe they should just go back to their own country. Nobody is forcing them to live here.

Damn, and I thought thegerg sucked at trolling.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PurpleLabel

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

It's like a blind man looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamerguru100

@purplelabel said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

The hell are you talking about?

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheWalkingGhost

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

Hey, at least that was cute.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gamerguru100

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

?

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheWalkingGhost

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

?

It was a cute comment, what? You wanted better trolling, you got it.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamerguru100

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@purplelabel said:

?

It was a cute comment, what? You wanted better trolling, you got it.

I guess it was better trolling. You fooled me. :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I think they should keep the name. People get offended all the time by stuff, screw 'em.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

I'm trying to be sincere when I ask this, but did these incidents occur in your hometown (and does your hometown have a large Native American population) or were you in an area with a small to non-existent Native American population? Only reason I'm asking is I'm from an area with a decent size Native American presence and we've never had incidents such as that. However, when people visit from out of state, I've heard some tourists ask if Native Americans still live in teepees/tepees/tipis and other types of questions. Some of these types of questions I think stem from general ignorance, some general stupidity, and others with racist tones.

But back on topic, the term Redskins reeks of language used several decades ago, kind of the same as saying "colored folk". I can see legitimacy in that. However, I've seen backlash occur for other sporting teams with names and logos that seem perfectly fine; one in particular being the UND Fighting Sioux. It's one thing to have a discussion over a team name such as the Redskins; yet, my hope is that we can separate out good/bad names without too much conflict involved.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bunchanumbers

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Jacanuk said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

So, you want the Kansas City Chiefs and Atlanta Braves to change their names to? Honest question.

Nope have no problem with them. I took offense to being called the names because the guy knew they got on my nerves and kept calling me them even though I'd preferred to be called my own name. Its something along the lines of a jewish guy being called somethingstein or calling a gay guy Nancy or calling someone something they don't want to be called because it annoys them.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bunchanumbers

@StrifeDelivery: I've been called them growing up and elsewhere. The woman asking me if it was legal for me to be off the reservation was me of course being off the reservation. As for my tribe its kinda big but it opened up a century ago so there is a Caucasian presence there. Really anytime you have a difference in people there will be hatred.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

I'm not an idiot, so of course I don't think they should change their name.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Ask Native Americans, don't understand why other races are basically speaking for them..

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'm not an idiot, so of course I think they should change their name.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@purplelabel said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@TheWalkingGhost said:

@gamerguru100 said:

lol this.

I know this is just rolling but if anyone actually believed this i think somone would have a very good case against the seducational system.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk

@MrGeezer said:

@Jacanuk said:

And what do you think the case is about?

A: This is about some Native american Women not suing the club but actually going to court to have the United states Trademark remove the registered trademark or B: This is a club wanting to change their name because they feel like....

So yes the US gov. is actually forcing or trying to force a name change by removing the trademark rights, and i hope i dont have to tell you what something like that means right?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@Jacanuk: This isn't the first time. ... And guess what? redskins won the appeal. What does that telll you?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jacanuk

@Chutebox said:

@Jacanuk: This isn't the first time. ... And guess what? redskins won the appeal. What does that telll you?

Well, we have to see , redskins trademark was removed again june 2014 and Redskins first filed the appeal 1.aug so we still have to wait for what decision they get to this time.

But you can be sure that if they uphold the decision it won't be long before this woman and her tribe files their own Redskins trademark and then sells it to the club for a huge amount.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

They should change their name. The Chiefs, Braves, and Indians should, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#42 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

If a team name is the biggest concern that Native Americans have right now, that's a good sign.

Also, why are non Native Americans are being asked what they think? It doesn't concern them...It's like asking men if they are offended by a female team called The Bitches...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@korvus said:

If a team name is the biggest concern that Native Americans have right now, that's a good sign.

Also, why are non Native Americans are being asked what they think? It doesn't concern them...It's like asking men if they are offended by a female team called The Bitches...

Just because it doesn't concern them doesn't mean they can't voice their opinion or support. That's not fair. A lot of the pro-gay movement politicians are straight, the Civil Rights movement had whites participating, etc. Native Americans have tons of problems in modern America but movements like changing the Redskins name bring awareness and campaigns for larger issues will come in time. Baby steps, man.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fueled-system

@Aljosa23 said:

@korvus said:

Just because it doesn't concern them doesn't mean they can't voice their opinion or support. That's not fair. A lot of the pro-gay movement politicians are straight, the Civil Rights movement had whites participating, etc. Native Americans have tons of problems in modern America but movements like changing the Redskins name bring awareness and campaigns for larger issues will come in time. Baby steps, man.

When they basically are the only ones talking about it, it is a bit different...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Aljosa23 said:

I would agree with you if we were talking about discrimination against Native Americans but that's not the case. How are we supposed to guess whether a group we are not part of is offended or not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@fueled-system: I'll need proof of that but even then it wouldn't be the first time other people fought to better the lives of other individuals. It's not like Natives in the US are a large population - they're going to need all the help they can get.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@korvus said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I would agree with you if we were talking about discrimination against Native Americans but that's not the case. How are we supposed to guess whether a group we are not part of is offended or not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy#Native_Americans_and_organizations_opposed

That's a lot of groups/organizations who oppose the name. I can dig around more but I'm at work right now.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fueled-system
@Aljosa23 said:

@korvus said:

@Aljosa23 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy#Native_Americans_and_organizations_opposed

That's a lot of groups/organizations who oppose the name. I can dig around more but I'm at work right now.

Ok cool now that is different, I just don't like that there are a lot of journalist on espn who are telling people they should be offended by it. I'll support whatever native americans want in this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Aljosa23 said:

Then this is why the name should be changed...not because random people think it's offensive to other people. No polls needed on this =)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jacanuk

@PurpleMan5000 said:

They should change their name. The Chiefs, Braves, and Indians should, too.

You are right and then we should also get Blackhawks, Red Sox, Indians, Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, New England Patriots, Raiders, Vikings (I particular find this offensive to me as a nordic descended who can trace it back to the vikings) particular Cleveland Browns, to change their name as well.

Particular Browns and White Sox is hugely racist.

Also at the same time we should remove those words from the english language also, just to make sure that noone would ever use them again.