40 pushups a day give you a six pack or smoothie?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggerdjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 biggerdjam
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

which one did it?

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Neever.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
1000 a day did.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Are you asking if 40 pushups a day will give you a flat stomach or abs? If you're only going to do 40 pushups, you're not going to get a flat stomach nor abs from that. Try a hundred at least, maybe two hundred crunches or something that engages your core more, you might get there.

There are plenty of core workouts but pushups aren't really going to help that.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I do 1001 a day.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
pushups have nothing to do with your stomach
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Situps maybe? I do my 50 situps and 40 pushups daily. I use to jog too until my right knee started acting up (from old soccer injuries). So, I usually hit the cross-trainer instead.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 branketra
pushups have nothing to do with your stomachmrmusicman247
They do.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmusicman247
[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]pushups have nothing to do with your stomachBranKetra
They do.

NOTHING
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

It won't give you a six pack, it'll make you look like a gorilla.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]pushups have nothing to do with your stomachmrmusicman247
They do.

NOTHING

Moving on.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] They do.

NOTHING

Moving on.

MM's points are lacking.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 branketra
I dunno what to say about that man.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11294 Posts

If you want abs diet.

The only abdominal exercises you need to do is the deadlift and squat. The two most effective core-exercises.

If a good diet and squat/deads don't give you enough results you can try adding hanging leg raises after each workout.

It took me literally 2-3 weeks to get a stunning sixpack back when I was a scawn (well around 150-160lbs). Now I'm 212lbs so its not exactly stunning anymore, but more like an average 4 pack. A month or two more of maintaining and I'll start a proper sprint program and a caloric deficit diet and I'll try get the same abs I had when I was 150lbs at around 200lbs. The project will take me about 6-8 weeks.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I dunno what to say about that man.BranKetra
We can only look on in shame.
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Drink a smoothie between each pushup.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
This a joke? Just lose weight if you abs, no exercises required.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mozelleple112
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]

Are you asking if 40 pushups a day will give you a flat stomach or abs? If you're only going to do 40 pushups, you're not going to get a flat stomach nor abs from that. Try a hundred at least, maybe two hundred crunches or something that engages your core more, you might get there.

thegerg
No. Crunches will not give one a six-pack. Proper diet will.

This. You can crunch as much as you want for years and not see any results if your diet is poor. A good diet for just a few weeks and you'll see great improvements even without doing a single abdominal exercise.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I think the fitness people today are saying that planks are better for abs than push ups or sit ups.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

This. You can crunch as much as you want for years and not see any results if your diet is poor. A good diet for just a few weeks and you'll see great improvements even without doing a single abdominal exercise.Mozelleple112

A "good diet" will have trouble making abdominals more visible without exercise (unless you have some great genes). Not everyone can diet for a couple weeks and have abs, many people are what we call "overweight".

As to your point in another post, crunches with proper form work just fine for strengthening the rectus abdominus and getting a 6-pack.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
At some point the government will do it for me.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I'm still not sure if tc is serious.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I think the fitness people today are saying that planks are better for abs than push ups or sit ups.

whipassmt
Burpee's work as well.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Maybe 100 plus not eating junk food or better yet, swimming. Swimming is like the jack of all muscles workout.
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zlurodirom

thegerg

" Not everyone can diet for a couple weeks and have abs" Nearly eveyone can. If someone doesn't have abs they have either had a very traumatic injury or were born with quite a dramatic defect. Working out or dieting will not give someone abs.

Everyone is born with at least a 6-pack, we know this. Dieting for a couple weeks will not cut 20-40 lbs off people, which is what many need for visible abs.

Don't get your last sentence "working out or dieting will not give someone abs": of course it will...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I dunno what to say about that man.dave123321
We can only look on in shame.

I guess.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]pushups have nothing to do with your stomachmrmusicman247
They do.

NOTHING

Get in an upright position to do a push up and just hold in there for a few minutes. You'll see.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mozelleple112
[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] " Not everyone can diet for a couple weeks and have abs" Nearly eveyone can. If someone doesn't have abs they have either had a very traumatic injury or were born with quite a dramatic defect. Working out or dieting will not give someone abs.

thegerg

Everyone is born with at least a 6-pack, we know this. Dieting for a couple weeks will not cut 20-40 lbs off people, which is what many need for visible abs.

Don't get your last sentence "working out or dieting will not give someone abs": of course it will...

No, it won't. Nearly everyone has abs, the only people that don't have abs have either suffered a traumatic injury or were born with some quite dramatic defect. Working out will not generate abs in someone that has no abs.

I said after a few weeks you will begin to see results, not a full sixpack. I was about 150-160lbs and had nothing but a flat stomach, no matter how much ab workouts I did. I simply changed my diet and 2-3 weeks later my 150-160lbs body had abs of steel. That was over a year ago.. Now I'm 215lbs and it'll take me 6-8 weeks do drop under 200lbs and get a sixpack again, but its going to require a nazi diet that I don't exactly look forward too, especially since I'm going on holiday in Dubai for 2 months :p If you're 215lbs fat, and not 215lbs muscle, it will take a lot more than 6-8 weeks of course.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"] No. Crunches will not give one a six-pack. Proper diet will.

True, but if you have no body fat you can have a six pack without doing anything. I'm assuming the TC understands that diet is number one, which I probably shouldn't be, this is the internet after all. I just looked at the question for what it was, will pushups give him a six pack, and no, they won't. He's looking for core exercises, and I believe if you're starting from scratch, start with the hardest thing to screw up. People start with crunches and situps (forgive me, I call sit ups crunches because of elementary school PE, I understand they are not the same thing) and work up to other things, because well.. as somebody else said, deadlifting and squats, but those are something anyone who has no experience will screw up and potentially end up hurting themselves doing because they don't have proper form.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrmusicman247
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] They do.

NOTHING

Get in an upright position to do a push up and just hold in there for a few minutes. You'll see.

my arms got sore was i doing it wrong?
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zlurodirom

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] " Not everyone can diet for a couple weeks and have abs" Nearly eveyone can. If someone doesn't have abs they have either had a very traumatic injury or were born with quite a dramatic defect. Working out or dieting will not give someone abs.

thegerg

No, it won't. Nearly everyone has abs, the only people that don't have abs have either suffered a traumatic injury or were born with some quite dramatic defect. Working out will not generate abs in someone that has no abs.

Oh, so we're arguing semantics? The 6-pack I was refering to was the rectus abdominus the muscle that makes up the 6-pack. To lose the linea alba and the tendinous intersections in a traumatic inury would be pretty specific and damaging, I cant think of anything that would cause this, besides someone losing their entire rectus abdominus muscle, which basically leaves the intestines with a couple layers of fascia away from the skin. I don't know of any birth defects that target specifically the collagen fibers in those aformentioned "tendons".

Look I can do it too.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zlurodirom

I said after a few weeks you will begin to see results, not a full sixpack. I was about 150-160lbs and had nothing but a flat stomach, no matter how much ab workouts I did. I simply changed my diet and 2-3 weeks later my 150-160lbs body had abs of steel. That was over a year ago.. Now I'm 215lbs and it'll take me 6-8 weeks do drop under 200lbs and get a sixpack again, but its going to require a nazi diet that I don't exactly look forward too, especially since I'm going on holiday in Dubai for 2 months :p If you're 215lbs fat, and not 215lbs muscle, it will take a lot more than 6-8 weeks of course. Mozelleple112

I'm guessing your responding to me?

If you had "nothing but a flat stomach", doing abdominal workouts with good form will cause muscle hypertrophy and you will see results. You probably were not using good form that engaged your abs. Diet alone will cause more muscle atrophy than diet+exercise, so your "abs of steel" were probably stronger before your diet, if you stopped working out while dieting.

Congrats on getting results like you want though, many people struggle with that, and you should feel accomplished you can do what you want (it seems) with your body and it responds like you wish.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

You get abs from stomach exercise, not chest exercise....

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

If you want a six pack, try some exercises that actually work your abs, like russian twists, oblique crunches, sit ups, leg lifts, planks, etc.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="mrmusicman247"] NOTHINGmrmusicman247

my arms got sore was i doing it wrong?

You're probably fine.

Visual aid

maybe spread your arms out more. That will put more force on your chest than your arms, but it's not unsual to get sore there regardless. Just practice and it'll become less, while simultaneously working your arms.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

No. What push ups will do though is strengthened your back muscles and your arm muscles. Actually, if your goal is to do more pull ups, then push ups are a great exercise (also helps to do a lot of cardio and eat healthier foods to lose that extra weight).

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]

Mozelleple112

No. Crunches will not give one a six-pack. Proper diet will.

This. You can crunch as much as you want for years and not see any results if your diet is poor. A good diet for just a few weeks and you'll see great improvements even without doing a single abdominal exercise.

My diet isn't that great tbh, and I have a six pack lol.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
pushups have nothing to do with your stomachmrmusicman247
This... 50 situps and 50 crunches a night is the way to go...
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

You already have abs, it's part of your anatomy.

But you need low body fat % for them to be visible. In other words, nutrition/diet.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#45 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
I could do hundreds of push ups a day and they still make me pay $6.99 for a six pack of Corona. /bad joke
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
Getting abs to show is mostly a function of bodyfat percent.11-12% is usually the sweet spot where they start to show up fairly well on most. Of course there will be discrepancies in either direction, but genetics are a tough beast to overcome. As to some of the responses ITT. Yes squats and deadlifts force rapid gains in core strength, but direct work is still extremely beneficial, especially in bringing up weak points ie: losing tightness out of the hole squatting. I disagree with Martin Berkhan in that sense, as do many others.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="thegerg"] No. Crunches will not give one a six-pack. Proper diet will.TacticalDesire

My diet isn't that great tbh, and I have a six pack lol.

+ respect

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#48 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Actually you won't get a six pack from doing pushups. If you want a six pack I recommend you do planks, those work your core abs. Push ups are for upper arm and chest strength.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

The butler did it!

InEMplease

In the study...

...with the candle stick.....

....in the anus

notsoawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 notsoawesome
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

Wait, 40 pushups a day can't give you a six pack, can I get my smoothie now?