Zelda Twilight Princess for GC or Wii? (POLL)

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChAlDo205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ChAlDo205
Member since 2005 • 293 Posts

At the Wii's launch I bought and beat Twilight Princess twice and now I feel like starting it over, but I'm wondering whether to start the Wii version again or the GC version this time. What do you guys think? Does the game feel different when played on a GC controller opposed to the Wii one?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
It really doesn't make a difference, outside of a few technical things in the Wii version.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I hate the waggle in the Wii version, so GC version.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

It really doesn't make a difference, outside of a few technical things in the Wii version. Sepewrath

16:9 display ratio is not "a technical thing." It pretty much seals the deal if you have an HDTV.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

I'd say go with the GC version, the waggle sucks.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I have both the Gamecube version looks better on my LCD TV. I have the Wii hooked up with component cables and the Gamecube hooked up with S-Video. The Gamecube version looks way better.

I know their both identical except the mirroring but Gamecube games look better with S-Video then on the Wii with component cables.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I'm going to go with the silent majority of us and say easily the Wii version. 16:9, IR pointing and sword swinging make the game much better.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Frustrating that the GC version doesn't have widescreen, but to me that was the only one I ever played (before it got stolen). It just feels more right to me; not a fan of the mirroring at all.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Wii. 16:9 is the way to go.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

The Wii version.16:9 is nice,and the controls are better overall.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

GCN version for me, because I don't like the tacked on waggle. I usually play my GCN and Wii games on my old CRT anyway, but even when I don't, the lack of widescreen is not an issue to me.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Gamecube, although it's far from a definitive version, which is frustrating. The Gamecube version has vastly superior controls (outside of ranged aiming), and a world that feels a bit more 'right' from not being mirrored. It is, unfortunately, not in widescreen. I understand Nintendo was trying to push waggle at the Wii launch but if they had included Gamecube controls as an option the Wii version would have been by far the definitive one too get. Instead, it's tainted by textbook waggle garbage.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]It really doesn't make a difference, outside of a few technical things in the Wii version. LordQuorthon

16:9 display ratio is not "a technical thing." It pretty much seals the deal if you have an HDTV.

Yeah that's not going to make it or break for me.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Widescreen and IR pointing seals the deal. I hate the analog stick aiming of Zelda games.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Wii version. 16:9 and the controls were fluid.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

1. Better aiming.

2. The "waggle" > Button press

3. Wii version is 16:9 widescreen

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I preordered it as a GC game and so I didn't get a chance to play the Wii version. I have no complaints about the GC game though....
Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I don't care for the waggle controls either, but the Wii Version has true widescreen support, which is why I chose it over the GC version. Basically, if you have a HDTV, then go with the Wii version. If you have an old 4:3 tube tv, then go GC.

claudelruff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 claudelruff
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

If you flail, you fail. If you waggle, you're doing it wrong. A flick of the wrist and all is well. The Wii version of course.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

I have both the Gamecube version looks better on my LCD TV. I have the Wii hooked up with component cables and the Gamecube hooked up with S-Video. The Gamecube version looks way better.

I know their both identical except the mirroring but Gamecube games look better with S-Video then on the Wii with component cables.

jdc6305

i also remember being more impressed with the gamecube graphics.

about the widescreen... the wii streatches the agmecube image and honestly the the stretching looks minor to me....never bothered me.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

The Wii version kind of annoys me because of the Mirroring. That's my only problem with it though.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

I haven't played the GC version, but if you can use the C-stick as camera control, like in Wind Waker, then definitely go with that one. If there's one thing I hate about Twilight Princess Wii and Skyward Sword it's that you have limited camera control. It works great in a game like Super Mario Galaxy where the camera is programmed to show the best angle, but in a game like Zelda where it's mostly behind you it's just frustrating.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
Gamecube version
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
i wish i had bought the GC version, i probably would have not hated it
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

GameCube version!!

I hate the mirroring in Wii one.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#26 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
The Wii version seems more historically interesting. It's both a launch title and the first Zelda with motion controls (regardless of their quality). Also, it holds its value better than the GC version.
-Flagg-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 -Flagg-
Member since 2005 • 426 Posts

Aiming with the Wii controllers is much more fun so for that reason i would go with Wii version.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Wii version easily, first of all the motion controls just make it feel like at least something a bit different than the norm. Plus like others have said, IR over the shoulder aiming is better, then there's widescreen, midnas voice and other sounds cues that come from the wiimote. Another thing is that the spin attack can be done instantly where as in the gamecube version you had to get into position and charge it to pull it off. I also found fishing a lot more fun since its a bit more challenging and rewarding, in the gamecube one you pretty much just have to real it in and thats about it. Theres Little nuances here and there, but id say its worth it just for those and i feel like most who say otherwise just didnt care for the motion controls or couldnt get the wii version at release lol.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
GC version for me
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
the gcn version is better. its disappointing that it doesnt support widescreen, but any hdtv would still have settings to avoid the distortion. otherwise, it plays much better. it was made for gamepads and it really shows. the wii version's sword controls are just a convoluted button press that have no impact on the gameplay outside of making it easy to spam spin attacks. the reticule for aiming in the wii version is pretty hideous so i wouldnt even say its better looking despite the widescreen support.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#31 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Wii version easily, first of all the motion controls just make it feel like at least something a bit different than the norm. Plus like others have said, IR over the shoulder aiming is better, then there's widescreen, midnas voice and other sounds cues that come from the wiimote. Another thing is that the spin attack can be done instantly where as in the gamecube version you had to get into position and charge it to pull it off. I also found fishing a lot more fun since its a bit more challenging and rewarding, in the gamecube one you pretty much just have to real it in and thats about it. Theres Little nuances here and there, but id say its worth it just for those and i feel like most who say otherwise just didnt care for the motion controls or couldnt get the wii version at release lol.

Gohansephiroth
You don't have to charge the spin attack in the Gamecube version, just spin the stick and hit a button. Way more accurate than waggling the nunchuck around. I'll grant your other points, but the voices coming out of the wiimote were just shoehorned in there and sounded awful. Only real decent use of the wiimote's (awful, awful) speaker would be in No More Heroes.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gohansephiroth

the reticule for aiming in the wii version is pretty hideous so i wouldnt even say its better looking despite the widescreen support.LoG-Sacrament

Its not that bad at all, its much qucker to move around the screen, and most of all you dont have to see the muddy textures of the bow close up when your playing the wii version.

You don't have to charge the spin attack in the Gamecube version, just spin the stick and hit a button. Way more accurate than waggling the nunchuck around. I'll grant your other points, but the voices coming out of the wiimote were just shoehorned in there and sounded awful. Only real decent use of the wiimote's (awful, awful) speaker would be in No More Heroes.DJ_Lae

Ah, well its been a while since ive played the gamecube version, so i stand corrected on that part, i own both versions but i still enjoy the wii one more. The waggling was as just as accurate, it never failed for me.

One other thing i forgot to mention in my first post was that in the wii version you can aslo equip more items at one time, the wii version lets you cycle between 4 items at a time, while the gamecube one only has spots for 2 on the button layout.

like so

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LoG-Sacrament

Its not that bad at all, its much qucker to move around the screen, and most of all you dont have to see the muddy textures of the bow close up when your playing the wii version.

Gohansephiroth
it was ugly and distracting. it's this big red garish circle bobbing around all over the screen. ill take the unobtrusive look of the gcn bow any day. plus the reticule is another abstraction to distance the player anyway. the player aims the reticule rather than the bow.
claudelruff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 claudelruff
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

[QUOTE="Gohansephiroth"]

LoG-Sacrament

it was ugly and distracting. it's this big red garish circle bobbing around all over the screen. ill take the unobtrusive look of the gcn bow any day. plus the reticule is another abstraction to distance the player anyway. the player aims the reticule rather than the bow.

My reticule didn't bob around the screen. I found it very intutive. Of course in Skyward Sword it was done much better and more immersive.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

GC version is superior because it's the original build. I don't like my games mirrored.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Gohansephiroth"]

claudelruff

My reticule didn't bob around the screen. I found it very intutive. Of course in Skyward Sword it was done much better and more immersive.

i was referring to the jerky movement of the light wiimote paired with the massive size of the reticule needed to account for the IR pointer.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
If you flail, you fail. If you waggle, you're doing it wrong. A flick of the wrist and all is well. The Wii version of course.claudelruff
This. Twilight Princess accelerometer sword swings are well-implemented, unlike Okami's Wii port (where normal attacks are so unreliable that I'm often left open to attack when I should have hit the enemy again), so I see no cause for complaint. Then there's the superior-by-far IR pointer aiming and anamorphic 16:9 support, as already mentioned by others. I don't see why they had to MIRROR THE ENTIRE WORLD just to make Link right-handed, though. Would it have been that hard for them to add a "left or right handed?" option, especially given that the Wiimote + Nunchuk is completely ambidextrous?
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

This. Twilight Princess accelerometer sword swings are well-implemented, unlike Okami's Wii port (where normal attacks are so unreliable that I'm often left open to attack when I should have hit the enemy again), so I see no cause for complaint. NamelessPlayer

No, you're just doing it wrong.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#39 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I have both versions. The GC version has some performance issues, and controlling your bow with the analog is vastly inferior to the pointer control offered by the Wii version. Give it a go, though. Still a great game.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

GameCube version is infinitely better since you don't have to use the garbage motion controls, and plus Link is supposed to be left handed, yet the Wii version is messed up since he is right handed. But everyone who is a fan of Zelda knows that Link is left handed.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"] This. Twilight Princess accelerometer sword swings are well-implemented, unlike Okami's Wii port (where normal attacks are so unreliable that I'm often left open to attack when I should have hit the enemy again), so I see no cause for complaint. meetroid8

Trust me, I've tried controlled flicks with my wrist, like I normally do. It's not reliable at all. For it to register most of the time, I have to steady the Wiimote between each flick very carefully, and that's not always easy to do in the heat of battle. Again, it's not a problem in Twilight Princess' implementation (where I can control my sword swings just fine), and it sure as hell isn't a problem in the PS2 original. That leads me to one conclusion: their code for interpreting Wiimote accelerometer flicks for normal attacks just isn't as good. I'm doing nothing wrong, unless using motion inputs in anything but a horridly stilted manner like that is somehow wrong.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soundcellx

[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"] This. Twilight Princess accelerometer sword swings are well-implemented, unlike Okami's Wii port (where normal attacks are so unreliable that I'm often left open to attack when I should have hit the enemy again), so I see no cause for complaint. NamelessPlayer

Trust me, I've tried controlled flicks with my wrist, like I normally do. It's not reliable at all. For it to register most of the time, I have to steady the Wiimote between each flick very carefully, and that's not always easy to do in the heat of battle. Again, it's not a problem in Twilight Princess' implementation (where I can control my sword swings just fine), and it sure as hell isn't a problem in the PS2 original. That leads me to one conclusion: their code for interpreting Wiimote accelerometer flicks for normal attacks just isn't as good. I'm doing nothing wrong, unless using motion inputs in anything but a horridly stilted manner like that is somehow wrong.

Yep, it is really sad and pathetic that there are actually motion control fanboys out there who will defend motion control gimmicks to the death, and overlook the flaws of inaccuracte and unresponsive garbage gimmick motion thingies. Motion controls suck and actual normal controllers function much better.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#43 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I have only played the GC version, because back when the game was released I was not in the mood to buy a Wii just to play a Zelda port, so I stuck with my GC, waited an extra month and bought my game.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"] This. Twilight Princess accelerometer sword swings are well-implemented, unlike Okami's Wii port (where normal attacks are so unreliable that I'm often left open to attack when I should have hit the enemy again), so I see no cause for complaint. NamelessPlayer

If I can execute perfect combos with every weapon on every attempt without any trouble at all, the controls can't be unresponsive. The problem must be on your end. Granted, there's a huge learning curve. It took me some 3 hours before I got the hang of it, but in a 50+ hour game, that's nothing.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gohansephiroth

and plus Link is supposed to be left handed, yet the Wii version is messed up since he is right handed. But everyone who is a fan of Zelda knows that Link is left handed.soundcellx

ahem, not any more

and thats such a terrible reason to disregard the game anyway.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]and plus Link is supposed to be left handed, yet the Wii version is messed up since he is right handed. But everyone who is a fan of Zelda knows that Link is left handed.Gohansephiroth

ahem, not any more

and thats such a terrible reason to disregard the game anyway.

you don't have to disregard Twilight Princess. Just get the vastly superior GameCube version.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#47 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Much better on the Cube
ChAlDo205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChAlDo205
Member since 2005 • 293 Posts

Thanks for all your input guys! but I plan on trying both copies out side-by-side for about an hour each and then I'll decide which version to continue with...(I'm leaning towards the Wii version BUT don't tell anyone...)

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#49 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
HEY EVERYONE ^ THIS GUY HERE IS LEANING TOWARDS THE WII VERSION!!! this defiance of not telling anyone feels.....hollow
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="Gohansephiroth"]

DJ_Lae
You don't have to charge the spin attack in the Gamecube version, just spin the stick and hit a button. Way more accurate than waggling the nunchuck around. I'll grant your other points, but the voices coming out of the wiimote were just shoehorned in there and sounded awful. Only real decent use of the wiimote's (awful, awful) speaker would be in No More Heroes.

I like how it was used in Deadspace: Extraction. Can't think of any other time that I cared about it....