Wii on 50+ inch widescreen 1080p?

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 Garygok
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts

Gonna be getting a TV something like this...

I was wondering if anyone out there already has or has seen what Wii games look like on that scale.

Also what type do you have/did you see it on?  Plasma? LCD? DLP Projection?

Thanks!

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts

wii can only do 480P.

on a 50 inch 1080p screen,.. expect it to look like crap. seriously, jaggies all over the place. Wii was made for standard definition small tv's unfortunately... 

Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Garygok

Yea but have you actually seen it?

Would there not be a way to drop the res on your TV or something when using the Wii so it doesnt get stretched all to hell?

I also invisioned that possibly the Wii game screen could be "within" the T.V. screen, much like how you can open up an old game at 800x600 and it will be in its own widow within your monitor with most of your desktop still visible.  Small yes, but at least its sharp.

NDS_Mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 NDS_Mario
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

I have a 26" LCD with the Nintendo brand component cables and set to widescreen 480p and it works and looks fantastic.

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 danneswegman

I have a 26" LCD with the Nintendo brand component cables and set to widescreen 480p and it works and looks fantastic.

NDS_Mario

yes 26 inch..... but bigger than 32 inch will look horrible.... even ON 32 inch it's barely looking good (depending on what game) 

Phanrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Phanrang
Member since 2005 • 1496 Posts
No idea but I have seen it on big tvs and it didn't look that bad.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 danneswegman

Yea but have you actually seen it?

Would there not be a way to drop the res on your TV or something when using the Wii so it doesnt get stretched all to hell?

I also invisioned that possibly the Wii game screen could be "within" the T.V. screen, much like how you can open up an old game at 800x600 and it will be in its own widow within your monitor with most of your desktop still visible. Small yes, but at least its sharp.

Garygok

i seriously hope that Nintendo will enable upscaling in the future. This won't make the graphics any more detailed, but it will make them look acceptable on such a big screen.  it's just the biggest downside that the Wii has... i don't understand why nintendo thinks standard def will rule the next 5 years.. especially with gamers.... 

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
I have a Sony Bravia full HD 40 inches with component cables and can confirm the Wii looks horrendous on these settings.
OddballTECH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#9 OddballTECH
Member since 2005 • 7902 Posts
I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged.  Hope it turns out well for you though.  Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.
Avatar image for crowbarfacelift
crowbarfacelift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 crowbarfacelift
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
I've got mine hooked up to a 42" 1080i DLP. No complaints.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 danneswegman

I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged. Hope it turns out well for you though. Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.OddballTECH

that's because wii graphics ARE very jagged...  

I've got mine hooked up to a 42" 1080i DLP. No complaints.crowbarfacelift

that's great, but that's more because of you tjan it is because of the grahics.  YOu are less criticall (which is a good thing).

Wii graphics are very jagged though (unless the screen is really unsharp :-P) 

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The Wii looks fine on HD sets, just like every other system in history it's going to have a few flaws in the early stages.

Since you NEED the component cables you're going to see the true signal from the Wii so expect more "jaggies" but nothing out of this world.

It's 100% false that the Wii was made for small normal sets. My friend has a set over 50 inches and it looks fine on hers 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ead18461c800
deactivated-5ead18461c800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ead18461c800
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts
Bigger your TV is = worse it'll look.
casinater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 casinater
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

I was wondering if anyone out there already has or has seen what Wii games look like on that scale.

Thanks!

Garygok

mine is hooked up to a 36in 1080i tv and it looks great...i bought the component cables so that made it look very good...zelda looks awesome!  Hope that helps...

casinater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 casinater
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

[QUOTE="OddballTECH"]I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged. Hope it turns out well for you though. Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.danneswegman

that's great, but that's more because of you tjan it is because of the grahics.  YOu are less criticall (which is a good thing).

Then what the crap are doing owning one if you think it is so awful?!  I mean u do own one dont you?  Or are you just on this forum wii bashing?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
I have my Wii hooked up to a five-year old 52" rear-projection 4:3 TV capable of 1080i. Everything looks fine on it in 480p. Unless you're used to playing games in super high-def on a high-end TV, I don't think you'll have any complaints.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ead18461c800

I have my Wii hooked up to a five-year old 52" rear-projection 4:3 TV capable of 1080i. Everything looks fine on it in 480p. Unless you're used to playing games in super high-def on a high-end TV, I don't think you'll have any complaints.JordanElek

CRT?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ead18461c800
[QUOTE="danneswegman"]

[QUOTE="OddballTECH"]I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged. Hope it turns out well for you though. Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.casinater

Then what the crap are doing owning one if you think it is so awful?!  I mean u do own one dont you?  Or are you just on this forum wii bashing?

Why the crap does he own one? Hmm... maybe he has a 360, PS3, or something OTHER THAN THE WII. Jeez, fanboys...

iamanoobkillme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iamanoobkillme
Member since 2005 • 1166 Posts
first off get the HD cables for wii then set ur tv to 480 p and put wii on wide screen . the wii will look bad on a tv that size but dont put it on 1080p cus it will look very bad .
clarkeyboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 clarkeyboy21
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts
Well 50+ inch widescreen LCD would look the best. Very impressive
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 danneswegman
[QUOTE="danneswegman"]

[QUOTE="OddballTECH"]I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged. Hope it turns out well for you though. Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.casinater

that's great, but that's more because of you tjan it is because of the grahics. YOu are less criticall (which is a good thing).

Then what the crap are doing owning one if you think it is so awful?! I mean u do own one dont you? Or are you just on this forum wii bashing?

we're talking graphics here.. i have a Wii and i love the Wii and the Wiimote (best controller out there). i think that most games we've seen so far have crappy graphics. All games have horrible jaggies. This is NOT about art-STYLE. Lot's of Wii games have a great arstyle.

i'm not bashing the Wii. the Wii graphics just DON't look good on a big HD screen.... not if you are used to 360 or Ps3 graphics.

I can live with it if the game play is great. loved Zelda , loved Red Steel, and am playing super mario strikers right now.

i play my wii games on a 32 HDTV however. My 360 and pS3 games i play on a 100 inch screen with a HD projector.

Avatar image for Regginator14520
Regginator14520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Regginator14520
Member since 2006 • 1094 Posts

Hey a Toshiba HDTV, both me and my friend own Toshiba.

I own Toshiba LCD 32 Inch HDTV   and Wii looks perfectly fine on it, no jagged edges

My friend owns Toshiba 52 inch Plasma HDTV and again, no jagged edges...  looks pretty good.

Toshiba makes best HDTV 

andrewkozis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#23 andrewkozis
Member since 2005 • 3336 Posts
wii can only do 480P. Plus it would look pretty bad. I wouldn't go much over 32' to get the highest quality out of it. My wii looks better on my little 15' t.v than my 32' hd t.v  (and yes i brought the cables for 480p)
Avatar image for Regginator14520
Regginator14520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Regginator14520
Member since 2006 • 1094 Posts

wii can only do 480P. Plus it would look pretty bad. I wouldn't go much over 32' to get the highest quality out of it. My wii looks better on my little 15' t.v than my 32' hd t.v (and yes i brought the cables for 480p)andrewkozis

everyone is saying the wii looks bad on HDTV's...    maybe because their TV's suck...

once again, let me add that Toshiba HDTV's that are fiarly large (50+ inch)  look very well with the Wii on componite cables, there is no jagged edges on a Toshiba HDTV. I own the 32 inch LCD Toshiba, and it looks very good. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ead18461c800

[QUOTE="andrewkozis"]wii can only do 480P. Plus it would look pretty bad. I wouldn't go much over 32' to get the highest quality out of it. My wii looks better on my little 15' t.v than my 32' hd t.v (and yes i brought the cables for 480p)Regginator14520

everyone is saying the wii looks bad on HDTV's...    maybe because their TV's suck...

once again, let me add that Toshiba HDTV's that are fiarly large (50+ inch)  look very well with the Wii on componite cables, there is no jagged edges on a Toshiba HDTV. I own the 32 inch LCD Toshiba, and it looks very good. 

Either you're lying, or sitting so far back that the whole thing is a blurry mess.

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 danneswegman

[QUOTE="andrewkozis"]wii can only do 480P. Plus it would look pretty bad. I wouldn't go much over 32' to get the highest quality out of it. My wii looks better on my little 15' t.v than my 32' hd t.v (and yes i brought the cables for 480p)Regginator14520

everyone is saying the wii looks bad on HDTV's... maybe because their TV's suck...

once again, let me add that Toshiba HDTV's that are fiarly large (50+ inch) look very well with the Wii on componite cables, there is no jagged edges on a Toshiba HDTV. I own the 32 inch LCD Toshiba, and it looks very good.

sorry. it is of no good to the topic creator to pretend there are no jaggies in Wii games.MAybe you are blessed enough to not know what they are, but this has NOTHING to do with screens.. Wii games have jaggies like gamecube games, PS2 and xbox games had jaggies... the games just have them. even most Ps3 games and 360 games have them (though less appearent because of the higher resolution.)

Yomamathe4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Yomamathe4th
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Yo man i got a 64'' 1080p plasma tv and i have to say that even though the wii does not look that hot in 1080p it still will look pretty good actually. Another thing you want to watch out for is the game you play on it for example wii sports and super paper mario look just as good as they do on a smaller screen but games such as red steel zelda twp and vc dont look that hot....well red steel never looked hot in the first place lol jk. over all id say go ahead and get it just dont be expected to be blown away and taken to a place where all your dreams come true....cause ive been there and its pretty dang sweet :p
lightning30022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lightning30022
Member since 2006 • 66 Posts
I have a 50+ inch 720p/1080i TV and component cables, and it looks awesome (although, not as good as the 360 of course).
alpax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 alpax
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts
I own a 46" LCD and 56" DLP both supporting 1080p, and the Wii does not look so great on either TV with the official Nintendo component cables compared to any type of 27" screen with standard 480i AV cables. If you were going to get a TV like that just for the Wii, you might want to reconsider. Though they are perfect for watching Blu-Ray and sports in HD.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
I have mine on a 32" LCD, it look sgreat.  I saw it on a 50" rear projection TV and it looked just fine, but thats not an HD tv.
Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Garygok

Wow thanks for all the input guys.

Some differing opinion here so ill have to see for myself I guess...

Thing is I'm not buying the TV just for the Wii...when my new house is done being built I plan to buy a TV and all 3 systems.

Im not expecting Wii to look as good as PS3 or XBox, Im banking on the fact that the party games will be a fun time when friends are over...(and maybe a nice sneaky way to get my girlfriend into games )

Well, it aint gonna be for at least 6 months so who knows what may pop up between now and then.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 jNerd
Member since 2005 • 7598 Posts

I played Wii Sports on a 57'' HDTV in 480p & it looked ok, but seriously the Wii was meant for tv's around 26''

If you have enough to buy a 50'' buy a seperate TV for teh Wii :P

BabyMario19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 BabyMario19
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts
projector = cool but bad graphics
arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 arinya
Member since 2006 • 1054 Posts
Make sure you TV does not automatically transform you image to 1080p your games will look terrible. I have a friend that got a Samsung LCD and it make his Wii go 1080p and it looked really jagged!
mr_bee33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mr_bee33
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
i have a 56" DLP toshiba (1080i) with wii component cables and i think its pretty good. Just as good as any like 27" HDTV.
bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#37 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

Also what type do you have/did you see it on? Plasma? LCD? DLP Projection?

Thanks!

Garygok

Looks like garbage on my 32" LCD and 42" Plasma. At 50" I could only imagine.

Wii needs upscaling. Bad. 

salty5674

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 salty5674
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
i have 56(either that or 60, dont remember) HD LCD Flat-screen TV but im afraid to hook me Wii up to it, cause i think i will brake it
viper3885

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 viper3885
Member since 2006 • 531 Posts
It's not that the games actual graphics engine looks horrible, it's that pretty much none of the games have anti-alaising to lessen the jaggies. I have a 27" Samsung CRT HDTV and the Wii looks beautiful on it, and I also have a 42" Westinhouse LCD and the Wii shows a lot of jaggies on it(my 360 and PS3 look amazing in 720p on the same LCD though). The main reason that a lot of people see all these jaggies is that most LCD and Plasma TV's only have one native resolution and anything lower gets upscaled from 480p to whatever the TV's native resolution is be it 720p or 1080p. Where as a CRT monitor usually has more than one native resolution, my Samsung has 480p and 1080i so there is no upscaling to be done. All said and done the jaggies do bother me a lot on my LCD but they don't hinder my enjoyment from playing the system.
iamtirrrred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 iamtirrrred
Member since 2003 • 293 Posts

Thanks!

Garygok

I seen it at bestbuy it was a 50" DLP screen. It looked fantastic, All you need is a Nintendo brand component cables and set to widescreen 480p because the wii does not go up 1080p. But it still looks fantastic, they were playing Zelda and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Are you getting this widescreen tv just for the Wii?  If you aren't, i think you should just try it out youself and see what it looks like.
KJAX90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 KJAX90
Member since 2006 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="NDS_Mario"]

danneswegman

yes 26 inch..... but bigger than 32 inch will look horrible.... even ON 32 inch it's barely looking good (depending on what game) 

yeah, that's what I have. I think it looks pretty good but jaggies are extremely visible.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Im banking on the fact that the party games will be a fun time when friends are over...Garygok

In that case, you'll definitely want a big TV. It's a lot easier to play four-player games on a bigger screen. Everyone can spread out so they don't hit each other and still be able to see clearly enough.

mjgballin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mjgballin
Member since 2007 • 484 Posts
[QUOTE="casinater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]

[QUOTE="OddballTECH"]I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged. Hope it turns out well for you though. Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.danneswegman

that's great, but that's more because of you tjan it is because of the grahics. YOu are less criticall (which is a good thing).

Then what the crap are doing owning one if you think it is so awful?! I mean u do own one dont you? Or are you just on this forum wii bashing?

we're talking graphics here.. i have a Wii and i love the Wii and the Wiimote (best controller out there). i think that most games we've seen so far have crappy graphics. All games have horrible jaggies. This is NOT about art-STYLE. Lot's of Wii games have a great arstyle.

i'm not bashing the Wii. the Wii graphics just DON't look good on a big HD screen.... not if you are used to 360 or Ps3 graphics.

I can live with it if the game play is great. loved Zelda , loved Red Steel, and am playing super mario strikers right now.

i play my wii games on a 32 HDTV however. My 360 and pS3 games i play on a 100 inch screen with a HD projector.

Thats such a lie unless you can prove it to me with a picture in the wii setup forum. Prove it. 

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

but shouldn't the anti ailiasing or whatever it's called take the jaggies away?
i dunno i think i heard something like this though :P
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="casinater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]

[QUOTE="OddballTECH"]I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged. Hope it turns out well for you though. Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.mjgballin

Thats such a lie unless you can prove it to me with a picture in the wii setup forum. Prove it. 

Army_Veteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Army_Veteran
Member since 2006 • 1201 Posts
Well I have a 40inch LCD SamSung 1080i HDTV and the VC games look okay, I am not sure about regular games on it. When I boot up the channels menu it looks a lil washed out. But I knew I was not getting, I play reg games on my 360 for HD, and Ill play VC games on the Wii.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 danneswegman

projector = cool but bad graphicsBabyMario19

not true at ALLL.. buy a good HD projector and you will be amazed. nothing can beat it.

People who think projectors give bad graphiocs didn;t see a good hd projector. 

To play Wii on a projector = bad idea.. cause bad graphics enlarged is even worse. 

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 danneswegman
[QUOTE="danneswegman"][QUOTE="casinater"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]

[QUOTE="OddballTECH"]I played a Wii on an HDTV 47", and it looked really jagged. Hope it turns out well for you though. Now I just play it on my regular TV, and it looks better.mjgballin

sorry, it's true. i have a HD projector (panasonic 900), a Wii, a 360, a Ps3, and a Philips 32 inch HD CRT tv...

here is a picture of me and the projection screen and gears of war

(photo's are from last year)