Wii finally have a storage solution!!

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidmoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 kidmoogle
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
Sounds like Nintendo is going to make it where once you download the game its registered to YOUR IP.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#52 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
It's about time. Why did they put that SD card slot there if you can't play game off of it?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 BuryMe
hey that's fine with me...we can also abuse this...now we can finally transfer VC games from one wii to the next, so friends can buy one game each (make some kind of deal) and then trade off well, that's what i got out of it but yea...this isn't too bad of a solution...i like it, plus u can get wii SD cards at walmart for like $20 for the 2GB version....2GB should be plenty of storagefiercedeity901
No we can't. VC games are locked on to 1 console
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 BuryMe
Exactly what is so good about this solution? We've been able to save games to SD cards ever since the Wii was released. :|helium_flash
But now we can actually play them off the card, instead of having to transfer them back and forth.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#55 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
I'm happy with this announcement, despite the fact that there should have never been an issue to begin with - good storage space is expected behavior.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
I'm glad. The delete-redownload "solution" was rather silly, not to mention time consuming for larger games, like N64 or Wiiware.
kidmoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 kidmoogle
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
I'm happy with this announcement, despite the fact that there should have never been an issue to begin with - good storage space is expected behavior.Ovirew
Cheers!
Leopold_Stotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 Leopold_Stotch
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
this is like giving a starving orphan only a cookie
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
[QUOTE="AlexSays"]

[QUOTE="webbut"]nintendo is going to loose a lot of money from VC gameswebbut

No they're not.

They still won't let you share them.

no from hackers

You can already pirate games on the Wii.

boardn720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 boardn720
Member since 2008 • 5310 Posts
No you can't:( At least as far as I know:?
komdosina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 komdosina
Member since 2003 • 4972 Posts

If direct download to the SD card means direct accesss like a memory card, then yes I'm very satisfied.

Vriess12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Vriess12
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts
I'm happy with the solution. I really dont want a hard drive as it would be one more thing to buy and I already have tons of wii items lying about.
pmay007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 pmay007
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts
We will probably get an SD channel to go with it aswell, to run these games from, thats why i think we have to wait.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#64 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
I would have preferred a HD but at least it is something!
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#65 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
I would have preferred a HD but at least it is something!
guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

You know...

All that has been said is you can download games straight to the SD card. I hope this also means you can play them FROM the SD card, but that hasn't been explicitly stated, from what I have seen.

Mike1978Smith

yes it has.
Read the article here on gamespot about DSi in 2009
It explicitly states it

From what IGN reported the storage solution with be on all future released games. That would leave a lot of games that won't take advantage of it if that is the case. Hopefully they can rush this out before the spring.

As far as the USB ports, I always thought it would be an external hard drive with a firmware update via Wiishop. As it stands now I use one port for my remote charger and the other is for my MP3 player to charge.

Sabin55

Does that mean that even in '09 you won't be able to use the new storage feature for games that are out right now?
Meaning, if I want the new Strong Bad game, but I don't have room
Even once Spring '09 rolls around I won't be able to save and play from an SD card?
If so I will be very upset.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
[QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]

You know...

All that has been said is you can download games straight to the SD card. I hope this also means you can play them FROM the SD card, but that hasn't been explicitly stated, from what I have seen.

guitarist4292

yes it has.
It explicitly states it

Where?

You cannot play games from the SD card. A number of sites have had to issue corrections to their initial reports because they assumed that and it was later confirmed to be incorrect. And on the most recent episode of 1UP Yours podcast, they explain that you can't play games off the SD card.

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"][QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]

You know...

clicketyclick

yes it has.
It explicitly states it

Where?

You cannot play games from the SD card. A number of sites have had to issue corrections to their initial reports because they assumed that and it was later confirmed to be incorrect. And on the most recent episode of 1UP Yours podcast, they explain that you can't play games off the SD card.

This is from the Gamespot article and, by the way, is a direct quote from reggie I believe.

[9:23] "Iwata is addressing the problem of Wii storage," he says. "Soon you will be able to download and store virtual console and WiiWare titles directly on your SD card, and play them off your SD card. This will make the Wii download experience much easier."

Wouldn't be much of a solution if you couldn't

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="guitarist4292"][QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]

You know...

guitarist4292

yes it has.
It explicitly states it

Where?

This is from the Gamespot article and, by the way, is a direct quote from reggie I believe.

[9:23] "Iwata is addressing the problem of Wii storage," he says. "Soon you will be able to download and store virtual console and WiiWare titles directly on your SD card, and play them off your SD card. This will make the Wii download experience much easier."

I want a link to the gamespot article. When I search that quote in google, all I come up with is this article, which says at the bottom: "We originally said games would be playable directly off of SD cards. Sadly, this is not true - Our apologies!"

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="guitarist4292"][QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]

You know...

clicketyclick

yes it has.
It explicitly states it

Where?

I want a link to the gamespot article. When I search that quote in google, all I come up with is this article, which says at the bottom: "We originally said games would be playable directly off of SD cards. Sadly, this is not true - Our apologies!"

LINK!

There. It's in the gamespot article, like I origianally said.
And it was a quote from Reggie
It's right above the picture of Punch-Out!

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 clicketyclick

LINK!

guitarist4292

Then this is yet another case of Reggie being out of the loop about what Nintendo Japan is doing. It's not like he's never given us incorrect information before about what Nintendo is planning. Nintendo has never said anything about playing off SD cards. They have said that you will be able to download to the SD cards. As I noted above with the link, sites have had to issue corrections to their initial claims you could execute games off the SD card.

And listen to 1UP Yours podcast starting at about 1:18:30. They explain that you cannot execute games off the SD cards. The solution is just meant to save you from having to download to your Wii and then transfer to SD card. Now you can download directly to your SD card when you run out of space on your Wii.

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"]

LINK!

clicketyclick

Then this is yet another case of Reggie being out of the loop about what Nintendo Japan is doing. It's not like he's never given us incorrect information before about what Nintendo is planning. Nintendo has never said anything about playing off SD cards. They have said that you will be able to download to the SD cards. As I noted above with the link, sites have had to issue corrections to their initial claims you could execute games off the SD card.

And listen to 1UP Yours podcast starting at about 1:18:30. They explain that you cannot execute games off the SD cards. The solution is just meant to save you from having to download to your Wii and then transfer to SD card. Now you can download directly to your SD card when you run out of space on your Wii.

If you're right
Then that is beyond lame.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 clicketyclick

If you're right

guitarist4292

I am right. Here's the word from the President of Nintendo himself, Mr. Iwata:

We are facing the challenge to comply with users who are demanding more data storage capacity beyond the existing internal memory.

Recently, SD memory cards have become inexpensive. However, how SD memory cards can be used when there is not enough room in Wii's internal memory is not convenient.

We have been listening to the customers, and we have been trying to come up with the solution that will not sacrifice the security nature of Wii but will cater to our customers' convenience. We will need more time to tackle it. But the basic direction has been decided, so I would like to update you on this today.

We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. [COLOR=Orange]We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it.[/COLOR] We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible. (Official Nintendo Source)

Satoru Iwata

What do you trust more: What Reggie says Iwata is doing, or what Iwata says he's doing?

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"]

If you're right

clicketyclick

I am right. Here's the word from the President of Nintendo himself, Mr. Iwata:

We are facing the challenge to comply with users who are demanding more data storage capacity beyond the existing internal memory.

Recently, SD memory cards have become inexpensive. However, how SD memory cards can be used when there is not enough room in Wii's internal memory is not convenient.

We have been listening to the customers, and we have been trying to come up with the solution that will not sacrifice the security nature of Wii but will cater to our customers' convenience. We will need more time to tackle it. But the basic direction has been decided, so I would like to update you on this today.

We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. [COLOR=Orange]We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it.[/COLOR] We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible. (Official Nintendo Source)

Satoru Iwata

What do you trust more: What Reggie says Iwata is doing, or what Iwata says he's doing?

No need to take it personally.

So do you think they'll do it like guitar hero 4?
The way that's supposed to work, if you don't know, is that you leave just enough room for ONE song on your wii internal memory, and then when you want to play a song on an SD card it just fills the blank space on your memory equal to one song.
I was thinking as I was typing it that that wouldn't work because games are different sizes
But songs are different sizes too
I think that would be reasonable, then you wouldn't have to manually transfer them back and force
Which is what Iwata alludes to when he says there will b ejust one process.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 clicketyclick

The way that's supposed to work, if you don't know, is that you leave just enough room for ONE song on your wii internal memory, and then when you want to play a song on an SD card it just fills the blank space on your memory equal to one song.
I was thinking as I was typing it that that wouldn't work because games are different sizes
I think that would be reasonable, then you wouldn't have to manually transfer them back and force

guitarist4292

I'm not taking this personally. :?

By one process, I think he was referring to the new ability to download directly to the SD card then transfer to Wii to play (1 step) rather than downloading to the Wii, transferring to the SD card, then transferring to the Wii again when you want to play (2 steps.)

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"]

clicketyclick

I'm not taking this personally. :?

By one process, I think he was referring to the new ability to download directly to the SD card then transfer to Wii to play (1 step) rather than downloading to the Wii, transferring to the SD card, then transferring to the Wii again when you want to play (2 steps.)

My apologies
Must have misinterperated your tone
Text is really bad about that.

I'm a bit upset by that, I must say
It's not really a "solution" considering you still have to transfer things to and from your console.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 clicketyclick

My apologies

guitarist4292

No worries. :)

Ya, it's not really a solution at all. It's just a slight improvement on the already existent method for dealing with space shortage. To tell you the truth, I find deleting and redownloading games to be easier.

Their "solution" makes sense when you consider it in the context of Nintendo Europe Marketing Director's comments that only "geeks and otaku" are asking for a storage solution. It's not an important problem then, because only a small fraction of consumers care. And they're the same geeks and otaku, so the thinking goes, who will be satisfied with any kind of bone thrown their way, like the Animal Crossing remake that turned out to be Nintendo's hardcore offering at E3 that Reggie alluded to. Hey, you should be happy!

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"]

My apologies

clicketyclick

No worries. :)

Ya, it's not really a solution at all. It's just a slight improvement on the already existent method for dealing with space shortage. To tell you the truth, I find deleting and redownloading games to be easier.

Their "solution" makes sense when you consider it in the context of Nintendo Europe Marketing Director's comments that only "geeks and otaku" are asking for a storage solution. It's not an important problem then, because only a small fraction of consumers care. And they're the same geeks and otaku, so the thinking goes, who will be satisfied with any kind of bone thrown their way, like the Animal Crossing remake that turned out to be Nintendo's hardcore offering at E3 that Reggie alluded to. Hey, you should be happy!

That's really dissapointing considering how excited everyone got when Nintendo announced they were working on a storage solution. This really doesn't help at all.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#79 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

I was reading some of the comments on the GoNintendo article about this. Some of the people mention how it sounds similar to Guitar Hero song downloads.

The Wii channels (Wiiware and VC games) will appear in the channel menu even if they are stored on the SD card. When you click on a game that is stored on an SD card and play it, the game will transfer quickly to the Wii internal memory and play from there.

This sounds like it makes the most sense. Whether if it's the case or not, I don't know. But when Mr. Iwata says "you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console", it sounds like it is the case.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 clicketyclick

The Wii channels (Wiiware and VC games) will appear in the channel menu even if they are stored on the SD card. When you click on a game that is stored on an SD card and play it, the game will transfer quickly to the Wii internal memory and play from there.

Dark_Link142

That doesn't work when you don't have the space on your Wii, which is the problem that this "solution" is meant to address.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#81 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

iwata said youll also be able to play them right off the sd card, go to the wii section click on dsi article its all in there

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 clicketyclick

iwata said youll also be able to play them right off the sd card, go to the wii section click on dsi article its all in there

mariokart64fan

Please read through the posts before your post. Summary: No, he didn't. Iwata said you download directly onto the SD card and need to transfer to the Wii to play.

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 guitarist4292

mariokart64fan

HAHA! ClicketyClick and I have already been through this
I referenced the same article, and unfortunately, that's what Reggie said Iwata said
Which happens to be wrong.

I_Helios_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 I_Helios_I
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

guitarist4292

I referenced the same article, and unfortunately, that's what Reggie said Iwata said

Who said what and how did he say it? lol

All I know is that the Wii FINALLY has a storage solution and us owners are better off for it!

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 guitarist4292
[QUOTE="guitarist4292"][QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

I_Helios_I

Who said what and how did he say it? lol

All I know is that the Wii FINALLY has a storage solution and us owners are better off for it!

Call it a solution, if you will.
Iwata said that you can download games directly to your SD card
He said you cant play it directly off the sd card
but there would be a one-step process to transfer it to your wii to play it

if you want exactly what he said
Look at Clicketyclick's post on the previous page.

EDIT:
This is the quote (removed from context)

"We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it."

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Yeah, there's no storage solution. Nintnedo just doesn't get it. It's like having a burning building, and your 'solution' is to throw a cup of water on it.
guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 guitarist4292

Yeah, there's no storage solution. Nintnedo just doesn't get it. It's like having a burning building, and your 'solution' is to throw a cup of water on it.goblaa

HAHAHA! As much as I love Nintendo, they have been uncooperative about this memory issue and this is hilarious.
Hope you dont mind if I put it in my sig.

soxfreak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 soxfreak42
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts

Yeah, there's no storage solution. Nintnedo just doesn't get it. It's like having a burning building, and your 'solution' is to throw a cup of water on it.goblaa

Haha yep!

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

I like it but I didn't see it as problem already and this doesn't really change much. I mean the only difference atleast from my understanding is now instead of downloading to the Wii and then transfering over to SD. I can just download it to the SD card, it does make it a little easier.

I always found the harddrive idea impractical. I mean, it would just make things look to crowded on my countertop as the harddrive would have to sit on top of my dreamcast. That would really annoy me after awhile.