Why is Super Mario Galaxy so much better than Super Mario Sunshine?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts
Its almost hard to compare the 2. The only thing they have in common is the character Mario. I enjoyed both of them. Every Mario game is completely different from the one before, so it is honestly hard to look at the two side by side.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts
I picked up Sunshine again a week ago, and it was still really fun. But after 30 shines or so the game gets very tedious. Some of the missions are just plain boring - it's like you can sense the lac passion in the game. When the game was released, I thought it was a great, great game, but after playing Galaxy, you can really see the problems with Sunshine.
zstick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 zstick7
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
[QUOTE="zstick7"]

I just "finished" Super Mario Galaxy. I haven't gotten ALL the stars, but I really don't have the time to.

mackmillion99

well, i liked galaxy a little bit more, but they r both great in their own ways. i loved the water gun in sunshine, and the plot in galaxy......

and what do u mean by u don't have enough time to get all the stars?!?! then u really haven't finished the game yet.

That's why I put "finished" in quotes. I played until I beat Bowser at the center of the universe. After that I really lost my drive to hop back on and finish the game. I know I haven't finished it all the way, but I'm in college and I'm also engaged. I have MUCH more important things going on.

AntS1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 AntS1243
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts
galaxy owns!!!
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#55 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts
i thought Sunshine was really well done....i just found that the missions were way too reptitive, where as Galaxy had a lot more variety.
Dualmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#56 Dualmask
Member since 2004 • 1639 Posts

Personally, I spent a huge amount of time playing Sunshine and got over 100 shines...but for some reason I quickly got bored with Galaxy. I know Galaxy is a great game, but maybe I lost interest in the gameplay. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it--I only got about 30 stars in SMG.

Comparing the two from a gameplay standpoint, you really have to look at SMS like a totally different animal from SM64 or SMG. The concept was the same, but the water pack made things unusual. SMS is a great game in its own right though, and different enough from SM64 that I guess I enjoyed it more because it wasn't just basic platforming.

CheeChee_Macko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 CheeChee_Macko
Member since 2008 • 2236 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy is no better than Super Mario Sunshine.
Thunderball37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 Thunderball37
Member since 2007 • 1033 Posts

I don't really care about the cleaning stuff up but it was so hard though. Those times when you have to go on your own without the watergun was very intense.

Galaxy couldn't compare to that.

Sunshine is better and more fun to me.

stkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#59 stkr
Member since 2006 • 6118 Posts
I'm not sure it is. I loved Sunshine, but I didn't realize how much I liked it until recently. I like how Galaxy got rid of FlUDD, but I hate how linear Galaxy is. It's so annoying. You're not roaming around levels like in SM64 and in Sunshine. Mario games have always given you a general path to follow, but in Galaxy that's about all you can do. Plus, the observatory is a horrible idea.
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts
well to tell u the truth mario sunshine didnt really have anything completely new introduced. on the other hand SMG had a whole new game play too it. sunshine just never did anything new besides the water jet. oher than that its just a better grafix mario 64. which by the way m 64 was one of the best marios ever.
I3loo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 I3loo
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts
well, you must of liked it better cause you said you LOVED galaxy and you just thought sunshine was GREAT.
fyor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 fyor
Member since 2005 • 665 Posts
i loved SMS it was a briliant game finished it 3 times....and its still tons of fun
LewieGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63 LewieGee
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

'm sure lots of people have said this before, but i just couldn't get along with the whole squirt thing (FLUDD)... VERY annoying.. Plus, i feel that Galaxy has a smoother feel to it, like you're actually there... Sunshine, to me, feels like you're there for that mission AND THAT MISSION ONLY - no free roam abilities, and bad gameplay... but this is just in my opinion. I really dont think that Mario Sunshine is a good game at all. Galaxy, on the other hand, is an absolute marvel - a gem of a game.

Like i said, this is simply my opinion, and if people disagree, well, good for them. Dont hate on me, i know i'm new, but i have my thoughts too!

kelseyxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 kelseyxo
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts

I totally agree. I did like Sunshine more than Galaxy. I did like Galaxy but Sunshine had better replay value, better music, and more nostalgic value. On the other hand, Galaxy was very inventive and original, but the controls can be confusing and levels can get out of wack.

Bottom Line:

Sunshine>>>Galaxy

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

Sunshine is one of those rare Mario platformers that I want to love and play through right to the end, but I was finding myself just not liking it that much.

Sunshine will always be low on the Mario totem pole... one of the worst Mario platformers ever, I believe. Galaxy was pure awesomeness, though.

pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#66 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
Well for me I have to say it's a tie. Sunshine is a totally new gameplay style you actually shoot your enemies with a water gun to kill them not jumping on them. Galaxy had that unique feel to it playing it with the wii remote. I mean for me the details were brilliant in both these games for me.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

SMG basically took the best parts of SMS (the non-FLUDD levels) and made an entire game of them. The only things that SMS did better were the free-roaming aspect and the difficulty. There were quite a few lack-luster or simply bad FLUDD level. One of the worst was having to clean the beach.

Another thing SMG did well was the suits and I wish they'd have made more use of them, especially the ice and boo suits. They also should've made levels where you used the flying Mario suit.

gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts

It isnt. Sunshine was challenging, longer, and overall more fun.

I also thought it was alot more creative than galaxy, even with all of galaxy's planets.

PecansAreNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 PecansAreNuts
Member since 2007 • 906 Posts
I personally didn't find Sunshine all that bad. I think people were just sick of the same old thing from 64. But Galaxy, woh boy, it took platforming ten levels higher.