Why is Super Mario Galaxy so much better than Super Mario Sunshine?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zstick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zstick7
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts

I just "finished" Super Mario Galaxy. I haven't gotten ALL the stars, but I really don't have the time to.

BUT, what I was wondering is Why do people seem to hate Super Mario Sunshine so much and love Galaxy? I loved the controls and freedom and beauty that came with Galaxy, but Sunshine had its great points too.

I played and completed Super Mario Sunshine and I thought it was great. I ALSO LOVED Super Mario Galaxy. I just don't get what makes people hate the one and love the other. And please DON'T say graphics.

I'm just curious, that's all.

michael582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 michael582
Member since 2003 • 1064 Posts
Mario - Water Gun = Instant Win
zstick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zstick7

Mario - Water Gun = Instant Winmichael582

See, I don't get that. Was it really THAT bad to play with a water gun? Is THAT the reason for all the hate I sense in these forums?

Galadreil782

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Galadreil782
Member since 2007 • 3027 Posts

I just "finished" Super Mario Galaxy. I haven't gotten ALL the stars, but I really don't have the time to.

BUT, what I was wondering is Why do people seem to hate Super Mario Sunshine so much and love Galaxy? I loved the controls and freedom and beauty that came with Galaxy, but Sunshine had its great points too.

I played and completed Super Mario Sunshine and I thought it was great. I ALSO LOVED Super Mario Galaxy. I just don't get what makes people hate the one and love the other. And please DON'T say graphics.

I'm just curious, that's all.

zstick7

I agree with everything you said there. I enjoyed Sunshine just as much as I enjoyed Galaxy. Its just a matter of opinion.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#5 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
I don't hate it at all I like it alot actually but Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy are just superior.
zubrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zubrick
Member since 2004 • 70 Posts

mario+freeroaming=1.0

mario+upsidedown planet hopping=10.0

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
I don't like cleaning stuff.
waelzleb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waelzleb
Member since 2008 • 468 Posts
because its for wii
zstick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zstick7

Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself. I'd kinda like some real, substantial, credible, and supported opinions about why one over the other. Not just stuff like "Water gun sucks" or SMG>>>>>>>>>>>>SMS.

Give me reasons. Talk. Express.

Matt12695741

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Matt12695741
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts
It isn't. Super Mario Sunshine is better. Super Mario Galaxy is too linear. (but that's my opinion)
slyux432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slyux432
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts

mario+freeroaming=1.0

zubrick
so your saying super mario 64 is as bad as big rigs >:|?
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
Sunshine didn't have as much variety in its gameplay, really. Nearly everything used the water gun in some form or another over rather similar areas. Sure, the levels weren't all completely similar, but they all had that sun-drenched island feel. Mario Galaxy had much more variety; you had objectives requiring many different kinds of actions to accomplish, and the levels were all very unique; not all of them had a predominant in-space feel.
Avatar image for PotatoSandWitch
PotatoSandWitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PotatoSandWitch
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts
i liked sunshine more.
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
I liked Super Mario Sunshine better because it was harder and the missions were longer. Super Mario Galaxy is also really great I just like Sunshine Better.
maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#15 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts
ve no idea,
maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#16 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts
zstick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zstick7

Sunshine didn't have as much variety in its gameplay, really. Nearly everything used the water gun in some form or another over rather similar areas. Sure, the levels weren't all completely similar, but they all had that sun-drenched island feel. Mario Galaxy had much more variety; you had objectives requiring many different kinds of actions to accomplish, and the levels were all very unique; not all of them had a predominant in-space feel.-The-G-Man-

THANK YOU!!! That was a great response. I'm glad not everyone on these boards is limited to communicating through emoticons and abbreviations. Awesomesauce.

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Well Super Mario Galaxy has better graphics. The planet hoping, physics, and 3d planet design is a big plus for me. The music is also far superior in Galaxy. The levels are better made, although linear, and more unique. The water gun in Sunshine wasn't that good. It really took away from the platforming. People want to be able to run and hop and play in a Mario game. The water gun in Sunshine hindered that feeling quite a bit. It made the game feel a lot slower and easier at times since all you need to do is use the water gun to get back. The levels where they have the water gun are far worse then Galaxy, but the levels where you didn't have the water gun are by far better then a bit of Galaxy. The levels without the water gun are platforming at it's best, Galaxy also does this but what separates the two is that the levels in Sunshine were far harder. Both games have their ups and downs but for most people, me included, the positives for Galaxy out way the positives of Sunshine.
zstick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zstick7
bededog, thanks for your input. I agree that the levels in Sunshine were quite a bit harder, which is what made them so fun. But I still love both games.
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
Super Mario Sunshine felt more like a spin-off rather than sequel to Super Mario Bros. 64.
Galadreil782

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Galadreil782
Member since 2007 • 3027 Posts

I'm going to add on to my comment and say that I am leaning more towards Sunshine as my favorite because of the free-roam elements. You had all of delfino to just mess around with. I spend countless hours just roaming, swimming, doing stupid stuff :P Also you had yoshi and the levels were quite a bit harder. I just really like free-roam games and Sunshine just really had that element in it to make me like it better. Although I am still kind of in the middle of the games because Galaxy has amazing graphics and gameplay elements.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Super Mario Sunshine was a great game, Galaxy was just better. Galaxy just improves so much upon the previous two 3D console mario platformers that its hard not to say its the best. It does everything right, its beautiful, it runs in 60FPS and best of all, the camera is much improved.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I don't like cleaning stuff.yakk_3

You must not have played the full game, because a number of levels require no cleaning at all. In actuality, FLUDD was pretty much used for hovering and getting to higher places.

The reason why a lot of people didn't like Sunshine (my theory) is that it was too hard for them. That game had pure platforming brilliance, some of the best I've seen (I'm talking literally platforming here, like getting to the top of a mountain or structure. That kind of thing), but you had to be very precise at times or you'd fall.

Also, people thought it looked too "kiddy". It's a case of judging a book by its cover. The happy, sunny island seemed to turn away a lot of people, but if they actually played the game they'd see that this is definitely not a game for kids.

At this point, I'd have to say that I love both games equally, but Mario 64 beats them both.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I don't know. I liked Sunshine a lot, but Galaxy is better, I think. Maybe people didn't like cleaning stuff or they just found it too hard.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#25 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
The thing I believe that made Super Mario Galaxy so much better was level design. It had more creativity in its level design and the power ups are so cool to use in Mario games Sunshine didn't offer the power ups of like Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario 64 but in Super Mario Galaxy the power ups made most of the levels fun.
Caybrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Caybrown
Member since 2004 • 3722 Posts
SMS wasn't that much appealing to me, it just seemed mediocre and with the water gun, and i didn't like cleaning, but SMG was beautiful, good controls, and great music. I didn't hate SMS, its just not that great.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bob_newman

Everyone hates on FLUDD, but think about it.

Isn't there something very similar in Galaxy? If anyone can guess, they win a cookie.

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts
I don't really know Galaxy definatly reminded me more of my two favorite Marios, Mario 64 and Super Mario 3
Cody-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cody-G
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts

Isn't there something very similar in Galaxy? If anyone can guess, they win a cookie.

bob_newman
bee power up? I want a cookie
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bededog

bob_newman
I didn't like the Bee power up that much. It felt weird and I didn't like how it slowed Mario down. And Spring Mario is like the rocket addon to FLUDD in some ways. But Spring Mario acts much differently, but was still a pain to control.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

bededog

I didn't like the Bee power up that much. It felt weird and I didn't like how it slowed Mario down. And Spring Mario is like the rocket addon to FLUDD in some ways. But Spring Mario acts much differently, but was still a pain to control.

The Bee Suit is not what I was going for. Think of something that you have throughout the whole game...

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bededog
[QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

bob_newman

The Bee Suit is not what I was going for. Think of something that you have throughout the whole game...

The only other thing I can think of is shooting star bits... But that isn't at all like the FLUDD.... I want another hint. >_>
LifeToDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LifeToDarkness
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts
I dunno, I liked Galaxy as much as Sunshine..I guess wii mote = funner :P
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"][QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

bededog

The only other thing I can think of is shooting star bits... But that isn't at all like the FLUDD.... I want another hint. >_>

No, you got it right there.

Star bits are like FLUDD. Think about it. You shoot enemies, buttons, shoot them into Luma's mouths (like with Petey Piranha), and the like, in a similar fasion to FLUDD.

I can't find the interview right now, but Koizumi (Or Miyamoto, I can't remember exactly) even stated that this was the intention with the star bits. He also mentioned that the Bee suit was created to make up for the lack of FLUDD.

tgh93_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tgh93_29
Member since 2007 • 1483 Posts

mario+freeroaming=1.0

zubrick
zubrick+noob=wtf? it offered pretty much the same "freeroam" in galaxy just a little smaller. the planet hopping does rock though
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bededog

No, you got it right there.

Star bits are like FLUDD. Think about it. You shoot enemies, buttons, shoot them into Luma's mouths (like with Petey Piranha), and the like, in a similar fasion to FLUDD.

I can't find the interview right now, but Koizumi (Or Miyamoto, I can't remember exactly) even stated that this was the intention with the star bits. He also mentioned that the Bee suit was created to make up for the lack of FLUDD.

bob_newman

Star bits are similar to the FLUDD in how you shoot them, but they are not similar in practice. The FLUDD you are forced to use almost constantly. But the star bits you don't have to use them very much. How much do you use star bits outside of force feeding the lumas until they explode? Once or twice to get a coin, but besides that you don't use them much. I never used them to attack enemies, I always preferred to jump on them or use the spin attack. One of the best things about the star bits is that you have the option to use them or not.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts
i hated FLUDD, thank goodness mario threw that piece of garabage away at the end of sunshine! (i never bothered playing through the entire game so im just assuming thats what happened.)
Fancy_mudlaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Fancy_mudlaker
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I liked Sunshine more. Galaxy's levels were a bit repetitive and it just got too boring to play. Sunshine had more diversity in it's games IMO.
Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
Super Mario Sunshine felt more like a spin-off rather than sequel to Super Mario Bros. 64. Jakendo
That's what I thought too. Mario Galaxy's game play was new and fresh, Sunshine felt like a watered down Mario 64.
wiicube64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wiicube64
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts
i liked galaxy better but i liked how in sunshine there was alot to do while your not getting a star and i thought the water affects were beutiful and it was just plain fun to run around isle delfino
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

[QUOTE="yakk_3"]I don't like cleaning stuff.bob_newman

You must not have played the full game, because a number of levels require no cleaning at all. In actuality, FLUDD was pretty much used for hovering and getting to higher places.

The reason why a lot of people didn't like Sunshine (my theory) is that it was too hard for them. That game had pure platforming brilliance, some of the best I've seen (I'm talking literally platforming here, like getting to the top of a mountain or structure. That kind of thing), but you had to be very precise at times or you'd fall.

Also, people thought it looked too "kiddy". It's a case of judging a book by its cover. The happy, sunny island seemed to turn away a lot of people, but if they actually played the game they'd see that this is definitely not a game for kids.

At this point, I'd have to say that I love both games equally, but Mario 64 beats them both.

I agree 100% that game was no cakewalk. Does anyone remember the level on the Hotel Island where you had to clean the beach in under 3:30 minutes? And those levels without your FLUDD were hard as HELL (and fun!).
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I liked Sunshine better. There isn't much freedom in Mario Galaxy and the game was really easy(except for the toy time purple coins). For the purple coin stars, there was no challenge in finding any of the coins, like in the beach course where the coins are all visible the moment you start.

Also, it felt like you were repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again with the daredevil stars and speedy stars. For all the boss battles, it seemed like for every battle you would waggle the remote to deflect a projectile back at the enemy. It felt a little repetitive.

Sunshine was more challenging, less linear, and less repetitive than Galaxy, in my opinion.

Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
The difficulty in SMG is not as crazy as SMS. In Sunshine, the difficulty was too much for me in some spots.
shadowlink797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shadowlink797
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
Well I don't have any serious problems with Sunshine, it is just that I had a really bad first impression of it and it threw me off the game. I went to one of my friend's house to play the game however all the levels that he let me play involved cleaning (and not in a good way like in Chibi Robo). I found the gameplay rather slow and the camera ticked me off as well. There were also several other games I wanted to purchase at the time so I decided not to touch Sunshine.
zstick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zstick7

Well I'd kind of like to see Mario turn into more of an adventure game. No more hubs where you "warp" or "teleport" or "fly" to wherever you're going. I'd like to see it be more of a world rather than a random set of things you have to jump on to get a star.

DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME!! I LOVE Mario and all the core Mario adventures since NES. I loved SMS and SMG! But I'd kind of like to experience Mario in another way. The platforming is fun, but a real world would feel more epic, I think. Like Super Mario RPG on the SNES, that was a world. I'd kind of like to see them do that once and see how it turns out.

zubrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zubrick
Member since 2004 • 70 Posts

let me clear this up mario 64 and galaxy were good with there limited freeroaming

i did not like super mario sunshine becuase of the npc where dumb and freeroming in this game just made me vomit and the whole premise of it blew

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
I didn't like Sunshine, I beat it out of spite. I had to show it that I was better than it was... I just found the majority of the levels to be frustrating. The level design in Galaxy is top notch, so it takes the cake for me.
mackmillion99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mackmillion99
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

zstick7

well, i liked galaxy a little bit more, but they r both great in their own ways. i loved the water gun in sunshine, and the plot in galaxy......

and what do u mean by u don't have enough time to get all the stars?!?! then u really haven't finished the game yet.

venomdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 venomdeo
Member since 2003 • 615 Posts
Mario - Water Gun = Instant Winmichael582
I hated that stupid squirt gun LOL.
razu_gamer

Forum Posts