Whoa! Nintendo will have a heart attack if they read this.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shearMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 shearMario
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
What he said is the truth, developers aren't focusing on making the most out the Wii hardware. Some games are just very poorly made i.e. [INSERT ANY UBISOFT TITLE]
ValKilmerStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 ValKilmerStyle
Member since 2005 • 118 Posts

This shouldn't get Nintendo mad because Nintendo makes the Wii games that DON'T look like crap (Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and SSBB come to mind). That guy is 100% right, though. Developers have been scrambling to cash in on the Wii's success and the results are poor, ugly, and even unfinished games. Thankfully it looks like we're starting to pull out of that.

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#53 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
no, they are right. most Wii games could be passed off as midlife Gamecube games, and (in some unfortunate cases) even DS games (games like Big Brain Academy and stuff.) Super Mario Galaxy looks great, and Brawl looks pretty good, but that's about it.
Swixer-Swaxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Swixer-Swaxer
Member since 2008 • 582 Posts

Hi Gamespotters,

I was reading gaming news, and I found this article on Conduit. Read the quote on the bottom. I know it's High Voltages own opinion, but saying it that harsh will ruin Nintendo's reputation. I don't think that was cool of them saying it in that way, but that's just me. What do you Gamespotter's think? I'm not mad about this article, but I don't think of them saying their opinion like that.

nintendoboy16

yeah nintendo dont need anymore bad rep theyve already got enough from Brawls Euro release date and slow wi-fi, Hope nintendo dont dig a rut if this keeps up people will get different consoles

Swixer-Swaxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Swixer-Swaxer
Member since 2008 • 582 Posts

no, they are right. most Wii games could be passed off as midlife Gamecube games, and (in some unfortunate cases) even DS games (games like Big Brain Academy and stuff.) Super Mario Galaxy looks great, and Brawl looks pretty good, but that's about it.fmobliv06

LOZ TP

BRAWL

MP3

yeah, thats all, SMG, thats all

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

[QUOTE="fmobliv06"]no, they are right. most Wii games could be passed off as midlife Gamecube games, and (in some unfortunate cases) even DS games (games like Big Brain Academy and stuff.) Super Mario Galaxy looks great, and Brawl looks pretty good, but that's about it.Swixer-Swaxer

LOZ TP

BRAWL

MP3

yeah, thats all, SMG, thats all

LOZ TP was a Gamecube port with NO graphical enhancements or improvements. The graphics were straight from the Gamecube, and in my opinion, looked a little dated in certain parts. LOZ TP looked decent for a Gamecube game, bu the Wii port could not be said to have good graphics.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Hi Gamespotters,

I was reading gaming news, and I found this article on Conduit. Read the quote on the bottom. I know it's High Voltages own opinion, but saying it that harsh will ruin Nintendo's reputation. I don't think that was cool of them saying it in that way, but that's just me. What do you Gamespotter's think? I'm not mad about this article, but I don't think of them saying their opinion like that.

Swixer-Swaxer

yeah nintendo dont need anymore bad rep theyve already got enough from Brawls Euro release date and slow wi-fi, Hope nintendo dont dig a rut if this keeps up people will get different consoles

What makes you think people will buy other consoles? I see no evidence of this happening in your post. The Wii is still selling strong, even with all those crappy ports. That's why companies make those bad games, because it's easy money.

Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
I'm really happy that someone said the truth to the media, just look at my last blog. the guys at HV are talking about 3rd party titles and it's true they look like crap, there are a few good games and like a thousend bad ones, devs know that wii owners are getting games based on publicity and not in facts, that's the problem of "widening the market"
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#59 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
The Conduit dares to boast about the having superior graphics. For all we know this game could be cancelled if they can't find a publisher. If they do get a publisher they have to focus more on gameplay than the graphics.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts
I remember when Nintendo (Reggie, I think) asked 3rd party developers to stop making crappy games. Nintendo knows that there are bad games on the Wii, but the games that Nintendo actually makes aren't bad looking so there's really no problem. All systems have bad games, but the 360 and PS3 are powerful machines so they have less bad looking games...some of the games just flat out suck...
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts

well whether high voltage has any licence to comment on the imcompetence of other devs is debateable. after all they have 0output on the wii. the tech demo is impressive but they need to get a crackin game out the door before they can start lecturing other devs about how crap their output is on wii.

but they are right. bar a few exceptions, most wii games are based on PS2 and xbox tech which was built for those consoles in the first place. unfortunately the number devs with extensive knowledge of the gc/wii can be counted on one hand. most devs that worked on the GC only ported PS2 and xbox tech over and never really got down to the nitty gritty of the GC. this complete lack of experience carries over to the wii for alot of devs. the sad thing is that there still only using tech not designed for the wii either becuase they dont have the time and money to build new tech or because there lazy sods who couldnt be arsed.

at the very least, the engine could allow more devs to start building their games using wii based tech.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

well whether high voltage has any licence to comment on the imcompetence of other devs is debateable. after all they have 0output on the wii. the tech demo is impressive but they need to get a crackin game out the door before they can start lecturing other devs about how crap their output is on wii.

but they are right. bar a few exceptions, most wii games are based on PS2 and xbox tech which was built for those consoles in the first place. unfortunately the number devs with extensive knowledge of the gc/wii can be counted on one hand. most devs that worked on the GC only ported PS2 and xbox tech over and never really got down to the nitty gritty of the GC. this complete lack of experience carries over to the wii for alot of devs. the sad thing is that there still only using tech not designed for the wii either becuase they dont have the time and money to build new tech or because there lazy sods who couldnt be arsed.

at the very least, the engine could allow more devs to start building their games using wii based tech.

osan0

Yeah that is what Factor 5 said, devs are just porting over PS2 X-Box1 stuff. Maybe with this new engine devs will finally stop being lazy.

http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/09/wii-is-more-powerful-than-xbox-gamecube.html

http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/07/wii-has-more-power-than-you-think.html

http://wiinside.blogspot.com/2007/09/well-what-can-i-say.html

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I don't think they should be saying stuff. When they're game doesn't look any better.
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I don't think they should be saying stuff. When they're game doesn't look any better.Minishdriveby

Oh-Em-Ef-Gee yes it does YES IT DOES. I'm sick of people saying that their graphics aren't great when it so blatently is.

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts

omg just watched the demo :O

imagine if zelda looked like that

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MaceKhan

omg just watched the demo :O

imagine if zelda looked like that

Cyberfairy
That would be interesting.
Nintendoguy325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67 Nintendoguy325
Member since 2008 • 463 Posts

"Most of the games on the Wii look like crap. We want to change that, so we've invested heavily in our Wii tech over the past year," said High Voltage's Eric Nofsinger. "We have real-time normal mapping, reflection and refraction, post process full screen effects, real-time shadows, projected lights and textures, specularity and fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, interactive water, morphing, and much more all running with a rock solid frame rate on the Wii. Our goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."

Ouch!...I can't think of any crappy-looking games for the Wii...

Avatar image for ColonialMustard
ColonialMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ColonialMustard
Member since 2006 • 318 Posts

It's the truth. Most wii games look like early PS2 games... and it's absolutely unacceptable. Of course the big three, Galaxy, Prime 3, and Brawl do look fantastic. But, I wonder if High Voltage can actually make a Wii game better looking then Galaxy... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#69 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]But did they need to say it that harsh? They could've just said it like "There are many concerns on Wii's graphics from fans. We plan to deliver the best we can." They've pretty much dissed themselves when they made Billy and Mandy for Wii, that Wii game's graphics looked horrible.GabuEx

They didn't say that the Wii's graphics are terrible; they said that the graphics of most games on the Wii are terrible. There is a fundamental and irreconcilable difference between those two messages. They are not at all saying anything about the Wii's technical capabilities; they are saying something about the games that have been developed for the Wii thus far.

Well, yeah, but the wrong kind of people think when it comes to most Wii games, they mean all Wii games. That is when they have the other two consoles by their side. It just that Nintendo said don't expect much from graphics, but they don't listen and expect a lot from graphics the way their acting. Now I feel stupid writing this fluppin thread.

Note: yes I say flup, which is Bret McKenzie's catchphrase in Flight of the Conchords.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 nintendoboy16
Oh, yeah if High Voltage are going to say it like that. They should've kept their mouths shut because most of their other games that they developed for any system has very horrible graphics. The only game that looked good from them was Ben 10. The worst from them was Billy and Mandy, and Family Guy. So it's not really all Nintendo Wii as it is them as well. If High Voltage is all going about graphics, they should develop Conduit for 360 or PS3 if that's the way they feel.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#71 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts

Do you think that was rude?

but seriously this is good news

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#72 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

So it's not really all Nintendo Wii as it is them as well.nintendoboy16

Why are you acting as if they're insulting the Wii? They're not.

Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#73 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

"Most of the games on the Wii look like crap. We want to change that, so we've invested heavily in our Wii tech over the past year," said High Voltage's Eric Nofsinger. "We have real-time normal mapping, reflection and refraction, post process full screen effects, real-time shadows, projected lights and textures, specularity and fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, interactive water, morphing, and much more all running with a rock solid frame rate on the Wii. Our goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."

Ouch!...I can't think of any crappy-looking games for the Wii...

Nintendoguy325

U will find some here, there are enough "crappy-looking" games for the Wii to keep u playing without stoping for 5 years, it's just that some go unnoticed

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts

Its not what they said, its how they said it. I agree with them about how bad some games look and think saying it in such a loud way was totally acceptible.:twisted:

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Its not what they said, its how they said it. I agree with them about how bad some games look and think saying it in such a loud way was totally acceptible.:twisted:

ekalbtwin

Ok that emoticon at the end of your sentence doesn't match with your point. Jus' sayin'...

But either way, HV is right and they could say whatever they want as long as their game lives up to the hype.

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
Will I agree most Wii games do you like crap and just show the Developer hasn't put in enough effort into it. SMG and SSBB Nintendo was differently but a lot of effort into them and it shows, games like Far Cry Wii and any other shovel-ware with crap graphics shows that the publisher isn't putting in enough effort, which sadily is most. Even games like RE:UC which I liked a lot likes about as good and is probably using the same engine RE:4 did. But they are right because shovel-ware which looks terrible is most of the Wii's games library, while the 20-30 or so imo buy worthy games that look either good or amazing take up probably only 10% of the Wii's games.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I don't think they should be saying stuff. When they're game doesn't look any better.Lyphe2k

Oh-Em-Ef-Gee yes it does YES IT DOES. I'm sick of people saying that their graphics aren't great when it so blatently is.

the basic incomplete probably pre alpha Conduit looks better than most wii games. I dont know why people are making fun of it. Its way ahead of most of the shovelware on the system.

Also they should change the name from THE Conduit to just Conduit with out the "THE"

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I think it was a bit harsh. Nintendo will surely feel offended.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]So it's not really all Nintendo Wii as it is them as well.GabuEx

Why are you acting as if they're insulting the Wii? They're not.

I'm not, I just feel fluppin stupid writing this thread. As stupid as Jemaine Clement as he thought a Janitor's closet was an apartment in Flight of the Conchords just so he can impress a girl he and Bret McKenzie likes. High Voltage is just bragging and thinking they're all that, when they've failed on quite a bit of gaming projects. They only passed with Ben 10: Protector of earth graphic wise. His quote at the end was "We plan to be the most innovative Wii developer on the planet.", when he said that, I think he meant better than every company (including Nintendo themselves) who designed games for the Wii. Even those who did not make shovelware (Twilight Princess and Okami are shovelware, even though they got great reviews). It wasn't so much their opinion now, as it was their bragging of their future, that's why I thought the quote I found was rude.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#80 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I don't think they should be saying stuff. When they're game doesn't look any better.Cyber-

the basic incomplete probably pre alpha Conduit looks better than most wii games. I dont know why people are making fun of it. Its way ahead of most of the shovelware on the system.

Also they should change the name from THE Conduit to just Conduit with out the "THE"

The Conduit Screenshot

The Conduit Screenshot

The Conduit Screenshot

The Conduit Picture

The Conduit Picture

The Conduit Picture

The only thing that look anywhere near good in these screen shots is the gun. The environment looks like crap. All I was saying is they shouldn't be saying crap when they're crap doesn't look anywhere near the best. I know this is the early build but they're talking as if it already looks godly, and people are responding to it like it is, when it's not.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MaceKhan
I still think the physics engine is going to help.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I don't think they should be saying stuff. When they're game doesn't look any better.Minishdriveby

The Conduit Screenshot

The Conduit Screenshot

The Conduit Screenshot

The Conduit Picture

The Conduit Picture

The Conduit Picture

The only thing that look anywhere near good in these screen shots is the gun. The environment looks like crap. All I was saying is they shouldn't be saying crap when they're crap doesn't look anywhere near the best. I know this is the early build but they're talking as if it already looks godly, and people are responding to it like it is, when it's not.

again thats still miles ahead of the other crap out there

machod_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#83 machod_19
Member since 2007 • 523 Posts
Its true, it damn true. I agree with everything they said and its nice to know someone finally doing something about it.