Which do you guys prefer: SSBM or SSBB? Is SSBB deeper in gameplay?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I just saw a few videos of SSBM battles, and I feel that they were very fast and insanely deep. However, I know that SSBB is out. I'm wondering, do you feel that SSBB is as fast, and as deep or more deep in terms of gameplay? I'm posting in the Wii forums because the Legacy forums doesn't include the wii.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
I much prefer Brawl. Melee's a busted game in comparison. As for gameplay depth, if you count glitches, I think Melee has the edge.
m00cherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 m00cherman
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts
Many people will say Melee is better. Even though Brawl is superior in every way, it could not live up to the hype. It wasn't possible. So even though Brawl was great, it was disappointing. For this reason, some people will say Melee. I like Brawl better.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hydralisk86

I much prefer Brawl. Melee's a busted game in comparison. As for gameplay depth, if you count glitches, I think Melee has the edge.JebranRush
Really? Are you saying Melee has glitches? The gameplay, like i said, looks fast paced and cool. I'm thinking buying Melee might be worth it.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dingerious
Member since 2009 • 685 Posts

A lot of people don't understand that, though it's a very competitive fighter, Brawl wasn't designed with 1v1 in mind. Brawl is meant to cancel out many of the unfair advantages that were in Melee, so in a 1v1 match, it seems as though it's lacking depth.

Stick four players in a match with items turned on and there's a lot more strategy to the game. Or randomness...but still mostly strategy.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hydralisk86

A lot of people don't understand that, though it's a very competitive fighter, Brawl wasn't designed with 1v1 in mind. Brawl is meant to cancel out many of the unfair advantages that were in Melee, so in a 1v1 match, it seems as though it's lacking depth.

Stick four players in a match with items turned on and there's a lot more strategy to the game. Or randomness...but still mostly strategy.

Dingerious
I'm confused. So Brawl isn't good for 1v1? And Brawl also has more strategy with 4 ppl?
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Melee is unquestionably the deeper game.Nintendo did a ton of things to ruin Brawl from a competitive standpoint.

MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MischiefmAker
Member since 2004 • 907 Posts

Melee is definitely faster, but that's because they deliberately slowed down Brawl, and this was mentioned months before release on the SSBB homepage.

Also, a lot of Melee's depth comes from many of the "advanced techniques" players found through experimentation. "However, many, if not all, of those techniques were really just glitches. People try to argue that they weren't, but I figure that if they were actually intended to be part of the game that they would have made a return in Brawl, which they didn't.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

All of them are amazing games but Brawl really gathered what was great about the two first games and then it added its own specialty. The game is more than a game its a platform.

People who say Melee was better are crazy. They complain about Nintendo not keeping in certain glitches. That is not true though, Nintendo actually kept those glitches in just in a way thatisnot spammable cheap. Brawl is much more balanced in terms of characters (except Lucas and Ness).

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
Nintendo like every other game company made games more accessible also they removed alot the explotive gameplay the same as they did with Mario Kart Wii vs Mario Kart DS as they learned from that game, when yo go online you have to make more of an efforr to balance the field so alot of those explotations that people call depth are removed.
TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

I agree that Melee had a much faster pace, yet I prefer Brawl.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kardine
Nintendo like every other game company made games more accessible also they removed alot the explotive gameplay the same as they did with Mario Kart Wii vs Mario Kart DS as they learned from that game, when yo go online you have to make more of an efforr to balance the field so alot of those explotations that people call depth are removed. Sepewrath
The great thing is they turned those exploits into deeper gameplay. MKW has you drifting now like you would actually drift, before that you pressed left and right a bunch of times. But because they changed it, it was looked upon as dumbing it down. MKW has other balancing issues but the snaking is not one of them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

People who say Melee was better are crazy. They complain about Nintendo not keeping in certain glitches. That is not true though, Nintendo actually kept those glitches in just in a way thatisnot spammable cheap. Brawl is much more balanced in terms of characters (except Lucas and Ness).

kardine

The claims that "removing glitches" is the sole reason why certain gamers prefer Melee to Brawl is faulty,and frankly,I don't even consider most of the things such as wavedashing to be glitches than more as just a means of manipulating the game's engine and pushing the game to its absolute competitive limit.

And depending if they fall into your definition of glitches or not,does it really matter?They took skill and practice to master.They separated the experts from the novices.Removing them (along with changing many other things) and forcing experts to be on the same level as novices is not balancing; that's outright dumbing down.

Brawl completely lacks any sense of proper punishment in its gameplay mechanics,and the game is unbalanced because of it;; There is practically no hitsun.There are no true combos.The fewer means of moving and the slower pace just makes the game boring.Characters are imbalanced.The lack of L-canceling throws off the character balance even further.Shields are overbuffed.Camping is actually rewarded.And tripping especially shows who Nintendo was appealing to in creating the game.

Those are just a few of the reasons why I prefer Melee.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dingerious
Member since 2009 • 685 Posts

[QUOTE="Dingerious"]

hydralisk86

I'm confused. So Brawl isn't good for 1v1? And Brawl also has more strategy with 4 ppl?

Brawl isn't a game that's meant to be played 1v1 with no items on a flat, unchanging stage. Doing so guts out everything that makes Smash Bros stand out from other fighters.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="VGobbsesser"]

[QUOTE="kardine"]

The claims that "removing glitches" is the sole reason why certain gamers prefer Melee to Brawl is faulty,and frankly,I don't even consider most of the things such as wavedashing to be glitches than more as just a means of manipulating the game's engine and pushing the game to its absolute competitive limit.

And depending if they fall into your definition of glitches or not,does it really matter?They took skill and practice to master.They separated the experts from the novices.Removing them (along with changing many other things) and forcing experts to be on the same level as novices is not balancing; that's outright dumbing down.

Brawl completely lacks any sense of proper punishment in its gameplay mechanics,and the game is unbalanced because of it;; There is practically no hitsun.There are no true combos.The fewer means of moving and the slower pace just makes the game boring.Characters are imbalanced.The lack of L-canceling throws off the character balance even further.Shields are overbuffed.Camping is actually rewarded.And tripping especially shows who Nintendo was appealing to in creating the game.

you gotta admit though..Brawl trumps melee in terms of content

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

you gotta admit though..Brawl trumps melee in terms of contentShinobishyguy

Indeed.The game also has an absolutely incredible,varied soundtrack.

MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MischiefmAker

And depending if they fall into your definition of glitches or not,does it really matter?They took skill and practice to master.They separated the experts from the novices.Removing them (along with changing many other things) and forcing experts to be on the same level as novices is not balancing; that's outright dumbing down.VGobbsesser

I like how you start off saying that removing glitches isn't why people like Melee better, then spend half your post using them as an argument as to why Melee is better.

Also, I will agree that it took time and practice to get them to work just right. But, then again, it takes time, knowledge, and skill for people learn and successfully to hack games to do things never intended to be in the game, so should they be rewarded as well?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

I like how you start off saying that removing glitches isn't why people like Melee better, then spend half your post using them as an argument as to why Melee is better.

Also, I will agree that it took time and practice to get them to work just right. But, then again, it takes time, knowledge, and skill for people learn and successfully to hack games to do things never intended to be in the game, so should they be rewarded as well?

MischiefmAker

There is a debate on whether or not the the advanced techniques are glitches in the first place,and I mentioned it.My exact words were:

The claims that "removing glitches" isthe sole reason why certain gamers prefer Melee to Brawl is faulty.

VGobbsesser

...with the phrase "sole reason" implying that it is the only issue; I described the issue of the advanced techniques/glitches and other gameplay elements as well.My wording is fine.

And hacking is manipulating a game outside of the parameters of the game's engine.Not the same.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

"Deeper" can be a tricky word, depending on if you consider glitches and exploits as depth in your book or not. What can be said is that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a more polished game than Melee by a significant margin. Deciding to slow down the speed of the gameplay in Brawl was a pretty good move, considering the action that can take place during a standard match. I also think Brawl is a more balanced game; it may not be perfect, but there is a better sense that success isn't as pre-determined, based on the character and match type you choose. At the end of the day, the SSB series isn't one to be taken so seriously to begin with, and it's great to see that all of the tourneys and such didn't go to the developers' heads as they were making Brawl.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
melee, gameplay wise, is better in every aspect. brawl tried to be better, but failed miserably
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

Brawl is better than melee in every single aspect except competitive gameplay. If your choosing between the 2, go for brawl. It has way more characters, a plot. huger soundtrack, stage creator, and online gameplay. GO BUY BRAWL NAO!

kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts

Brawl is better than melee in every single aspect except competitive gameplay. If your choosing between the 2, go for brawl. It has way more characters, a plot. huger soundtrack, stage creator, and online gameplay. GO BUY BRAWL NAO!

Hungry_Jello
Well obviously with brawl being released 7 years later the game would better in all aspects, but for some stupid reason, they tinkered with the near perfect game play, which was praised as one of the best fighting games, to fit the appeal of casuals.
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

[QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]

kinger256

Well obviously with brawl being released 7 years later the game would better in all aspects, but for some stupid reason, they tinkered with the near perfect game play, which was praised as one of the best fighting games, to fit the appeal of casuals.

The TC said which do we prefer and which should he buy. I'm not going to tell him to get the older less character filled, no plot having, game. Brawl may be down in one aspect but overall it still is the better game.

Sonick54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sonick54
Member since 2005 • 7947 Posts
this won't end well >_>
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Brawl has better gameplay because Melee had way too many ways in which its glitches could be exploited. However I'll never forget the first time I played Melee. The graphical update over SSB 64 was mind-blowing.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hydralisk86

Brawl has better gameplay because Melee had way too many ways in which its glitches could be exploited. However I'll never forget the first time I played Melee. The graphical update over SSB 64 was mind-blowing.

firefox59
That must have been amazing.
g1rldraco7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#27 g1rldraco7
Member since 2008 • 2988 Posts
Brawl is better than melee. It has more characters, an awesome story mode and the trophies and cds are cool to collect. The graphics are better than melee too.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kardine
[QUOTE="VGobbsesser"]

[QUOTE="kardine"]

It is a exploit,glitch, whatever because they did not mean to do that and the action itself is spammable and unblanced. It did take skill but it was also detracting from the real fighting in the game. Brawl balanced the euqation. Brawl's characters are more balanced and the fighting takes more precision and
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Brawl, no question. More of everything = better. We only lost unnecessary characters and a bit of speed. Melee was way too unbalanced and full of exploits.
MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MischiefmAker

And hacking is manipulating a game outside of the parameters of the game's engine.Not the same.

VGobbsesser

Yeah, I hurriedly typed that out before I ran off to work, beating myselfd up over not having a better counter-point (I thought of plenty on the way there). Sorry about that. :D

MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MischiefmAker

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

hydralisk86

That must have been amazing.

Oh it was.

It was...

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Brawl is the better made game, but Melee is more fun imo.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
After playing Melee for so many years, playing Brawl for nearly a whole year, then going back to play Melee again showed me how clunky melee was. I was a extremely good Link player in Melee. Now it feel arkward playing it because of it's pace and speed. 10 lives in Melee seems equivalent to 4 lives in brawl.......
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tocool340
[QUOTE="kinger256"][QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]

lol how the hell was it tinkered when the game itself was unbalanced? seems to me they fixed all the bugs and nearly all issues when making brawl....
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
[QUOTE="kinger256"][QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]

tocool340

lol how the hell was it tinkered when the game itself was unbalanced? seems to me they fixed all the bugs and nearly all issues when making brawl....

lol I find it so funny when people blame casuals for everything now, the line between casual and hardcore gamers is so far blurred that there is no longer a distinction. Also take MKDS the snaking was removed because it was an exploit that bothered hardcore gamers, because this is before the time of casual gamers right?
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

brawl is better

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

It is a exploit,glitch, whatever because they did not mean to do that and the action itself is spammable and unblanced. It did take skill but it was also detracting from the real fighting in the game. Brawl balanced the euqation. Brawl's characters are more balanced and the fighting takes more precision and kardine

They are part of the game engine,and they do not give anyone an unfair advantage over another.They actually improved the game,because these exploits/techniques/glitches/whatever you want to call them added depth.They took time and practice,and made the game far more entertaining.Sure,you could spam them,butthe same could be said about every single move in every single fighting game,so the point is moot.These actually took practice and skill to learn (something I can't emphasize enough).It isn't like standing at the edge of the stage,and lobbing projectiles at the other opponent,which is easy and something the game balance of Brawl actually promotes.

What Brawl did is lower the amount of moves possible,and make every single move easy to do.The "advanced techniques" take very short time to adjust to,and the term "advanced techniques" loses its meaning.The Brawl metagame is crippled in comparison to Melee.

And Brawl balanced the equation?They ruined it.The game has absolutely no sense of proper punishment,or rewarding.Melee had an absolutely excellent sense of punishment.You had to properly guess your opponent,and prepare an attack,and if you misjudged,you were punished.There's nothing like that in Brawl.In Brawl,if you were the one who effectively landed an attack,there is the possibility that you get punished instead of your opponent for his faulty actions.Camping/spamming is an unfortunately viable tactic in this type of game.

Characters are on the same level when they shouldn't be; that isn't "balance" in the slightest.

And the characters aren't balanced.The lack of L-canceling prevents slow,bulky characters from standing a chance and speeding up,and the slower game speed makes it even worse; they at least stood a chance in Melee.Shielding is overbuffed.Recovery has been increased to the points where many characters don't even have to worry about falling of the stages.Characters like Metaknight and Snake are unbalanced themselves,along with a bunch of other parts of certain characters.

lol I find it so funny when people blame casuals for everything now, the line between casual and hardcore gamers is so far blurred that there is no longer a distinction. Also take MKDS the snaking was removed because it was an exploit that bothered hardcore gamers, because this is before the time of casual gamers right?Sepewrath

And when every single other source claims that the shift in audience ruined a game blindly,Smashers can't blame them now when they can actually back up what they're saying?

There's a big difference between the gameplay mechanics of Smash Brothers and Mario Kart.Most of the advanced techniques in Melee are difficult to master,easily requiring hours until one becomes fully adjusted to do.Mario Kart,on the other hand,has one major boosting technique in a game engine with comparatively little to do in the first place,and it didn't take long to master.One could easily copy the other person,and snake,but the limited gameplay movement of the game itself results in it becoming quite boring.

And the developers of Brawl removed more than just one technique,and changed more than just one gameplay element.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Head_of_games
I think it all comes down to how you play Smash Bros. If you like to play on final destination with two players and no items, exploit the programmers mistakes, and put winning in top priority, then perhaps Melee is for you. If you are like the rest of us, who while not "casuals" just play the game to have chaotic fun with four friends on any stage with the items on, Brawl is most certainly superior.
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
I like everything more in Brawl except Tripping. Terrible, Terrible idea
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tocool340
[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="kinger256"] Well obviously with brawl being released 7 years later the game would better in all aspects, but for some stupid reason, they tinkered with the near perfect game play, which was praised as one of the best fighting games, to fit the appeal of casuals.Sepewrath

lol I find it so funny when people blame casuals for everything now, the line between casual and hardcore gamers is so far blurred that there is no longer a distinction. Also take MKDS the snaking was removed because it was an exploit that bothered hardcore gamers, because this is before the time of casual gamers right?

You know, I was about to mention MKDS Snaking and how it affects it's online gaming. I don't snake unless I positively have to because my snaking ability is definitely on par with top snakers. But it would be nice to try to give some noob MK user a benefit of a doubt of winning. So I use everything the game offers without exploiting its bounderies such as not using mini boost on a straight road. Despite me not using wave dashing and such in melee (really don't care to use it/ don't use it well), I still compete with top melee artist. My Link was far effective against superb Marth users because how much I train using him. Fox, however, are the ones I can't seemed to win as. And thats the reason I say melee was unbalanced, because if you bring a character like ganondorf to fight fox or some other top tier character, there was no chance of you winning against those guys. At least brawl was able to tighten the screws abit while still seperating the noobs from the pros. My Ganondorf can at least survive some fights with high class top tiers like snake or fox, which is why I would choose brawl over melee....
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] you gotta admit though..Brawl trumps melee in terms of contentVGobbsesser

Indeed.The game also has an absolutely incredible,varied soundtrack.

that and while it doesn't have nearly as much depth as melee...it's still has some depth right?
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Head_of_games
[QUOTE="C-Lee"]I like everything more in Brawl except Tripping. Terrible, Terrible idea

Yeah, I'm not sure why they threw it in there. Thankfully it doesn't happen that often. I think it was just to add to chaotic nature of the game. In Melee, there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever that I would own all of my friends every time we played. So after a while they just stopped playing with me. But in Brawl, it's anyones game! So what the Melee-lovers are most complaining about, the lesser need for skill, Is what I say was the best addition to the game!
Kurobuki12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kurobuki12
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts

[QUOTE="C-Lee"]I like everything more in Brawl except Tripping. Terrible, Terrible ideaHead_of_games
Yeah, I'm not sure why they threw it in there. Thankfully it doesn't happen that often. I think it was just to add to chaotic nature of the game. In Melee, there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever that I would own all of my friends every time we played. So after a while they just stopped playing with me. But in Brawl, it's anyones game! So what the Melee-lovers are most complaining about, the lesser need for skill, Is what I say was the best addition to the game!

Honestly, that's kinda missing the point of a fighting game. Especially the lack of hitstun.

Overhead hits shouldn't be useless, I should be punished for rolling within an opponent's range by a grab, not follow up with one, and kinetic force or just hitpush itself should not be ignored outside smashes.

I want to feel like I lost or won a game, not that the recovery grab didn't work on a specific stage or I just spammed Waddle Doos in a corner.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kardine

[QUOTE="kardine"] It is a exploit,glitch, whatever because they did not mean to do that and the action itself is spammable and unblanced. It did take skill but it was also detracting from the real fighting in the game. Brawl balanced the euqation. Brawl's characters are more balanced and the fighting takes more precision and VGobbsesser

They are part of the game engine,and they do not give anyone an unfair advantage over another.They actually improved the game,because these exploits/techniques/glitches/whatever you want to call them added depth.They took time and practice,and made the game far more entertaining.Sure,you could spam them,butthe same could be said about every single move in every single fighting game,so the point is moot.These actually took practice and skill to learn (something I can't emphasize enough).It isn't like standing at the edge of the stage,and lobbing projectiles at the other opponent,which is easy and something the game balance of Brawl actually promotes.

What Brawl did is lower the amount of moves possible,and make every single move easy to do.The "advanced techniques" take very short time to adjust to,and the term "advanced techniques" loses its meaning.The Brawl metagame is crippled in comparison to Melee.

And Brawl balanced the equation?They ruined it.The game has absolutely no sense of proper punishment,or rewarding.Melee had an absolutely excellent sense of punishment.You had to properly guess your opponent,and prepare an attack,and if you misjudged,you were punished.There's nothing like that in Brawl.In Brawl,if you were the one who effectively landed an attack,there is the possibility that you get punished instead of your opponent for his faulty actions.Camping/spamming is an unfortunately viable tactic in this type of game.

Characters are on the same level when they shouldn't be; that isn't "balance" in the slightest.

And the characters aren't balanced.The lack of L-canceling prevents slow,bulky characters from standing a chance and speeding up,and the slower game speed makes it even worse; they at least stood a chance in Melee.Shielding is overbuffed.Recovery has been increased to the points where many characters don't even have to worry about falling of the stages.Characters like Metaknight and Snake are unbalanced themselves,along with a bunch of other parts of certain characters.

lol I find it so funny when people blame casuals for everything now, the line between casual and hardcore gamers is so far blurred that there is no longer a distinction. Also take MKDS the snaking was removed because it was an exploit that bothered hardcore gamers, because this is before the time of casual gamers right?Sepewrath

And when every single other source claims that the shift in audience ruined a game blindly,Smashers can't blame them now when they can actually back up what they're saying?

There's a big difference between the gameplay mechanics of Smash Brothers and Mario Kart.Most of the advanced techniques in Melee are difficult to master,easily requiring hours until one becomes fully adjusted to do.Mario Kart,on the other hand,has one major boosting technique in a game engine with comparatively little to do in the first place,and it didn't take long to master.One could easily copy the other person,and snake,but the limited gameplay movement of the game itself results in it becoming quite boring.

And the developers of Brawl removed more than just one technique,and changed more than just one gameplay element.

That is really niceits part of the game engine but the developers were not aware of it, as a result there was no balancing involved with the one out of a million like wave dashing. It does not matter if it took skill or not it was not a polished move and it detracted from how you should play SSB. I used all these exploits in Melee because that is the only way to compete but then when they refined these exploits into something less chaotic it left the player using the character more for his fighting style. They only ruined the game for those who hate change, Sora aproached these exploits and managed them into Brawl in the best way possible. The punishment is there, if play well and fight strategically then you can dish out punishment. If anything Brawl promotes straight up fighting where Melee promotes passive agressive behaivor. Shooting projectiles at the edge of the screen will not do anything to the other play if they are good enough to dodge it and if the player does hit them with a projectile it is because they planned it out right. Characters should be on the same level, the concept of tiers are torn down (slightly). Characters who can fly back up are lacking in some other area, do I really have to explain the whole game to you? Its right there. Bigger/slower characters never had a chance in Melee and they still do not in Brawl. It is something they have not fixed and should for the next game. At least in Brawl characters like Bowser are a bit stronger now.

flarebrass13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 flarebrass13
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

both are pretty dull and incredibly shallow,

brawl has more stuff

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I found brawl to be better but, it didn't last me long. I got kind of bored of it, felt too stale and the online mode is pretty terrible. If anything, I play local matches.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I liked Brawl more than Melee, because it had more content, such as creating your own stage and being able too take pictures in the middle of ANY kind pf battle, not just in a camera mode, and then of course Brawl has Wifi, though it is pretty bad (but hopefully it will be fixed in the next SSB game, assuming there is another SSB game in the future, that is). Also Brawl had a much MUCH better music list, IMO.

And I will say that while Melee and Brawl are different in gamepay aspects, both of them still require skill in order to be successful, it's just that the skills needed to be victorious may be different in each. You can't just plat Melee for your first time or Brawl for your first time, and expect to beat a pro in either of those games, in both games you need to play them both enough to be able to develope some skill and technique and experience. Both Melee and Brawl can get competeive to me.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kardine
[QUOTE="flarebrass13"]

both are pretty dull and incredibly shallow,

brawl has more stuff

They are only dull when you do not delve into the complexities of these games aka not very good at it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

That is really niceits part of the game engine but the developers were not aware of it, as a result there was no balancing involved with the one out of a million like wave dashing. It does not matter if it took skill or not it was not a polished move and it detracted from how you should play SSB. I used all these exploits in Melee because that is the only way to compete but then when they refined these exploits into something less chaotic it left the player using the character more for his fighting style. They only ruined the game for those who hate change, Sora aproached these exploits and managed them into Brawl in the best way possible. The punishment is there, if play well and fight strategically then you can dish out punishment. If anything Brawl promotes straight up fighting where Melee promotes passive agressive behaivor. Shooting projectiles at the edge of the screen will not do anything to the other play if they are good enough to dodge it and if the player does hit them with a projectile it is because they planned it out right. Characters should be on the same level, the concept of tiers are torn down (slightly). Characters who can fly back up are lacking in some other area, do I really have to explain the whole game to you? Its right there. Bigger/slower characters never had a chance in Melee and they still do not in Brawl. It is something they have not fixed and should for the next game. At least in Brawl characters like Bowser are a bit stronger now.

kardine

The developers weren't aware of how the engine was going to be torn apart and what techniques were going to be discovered,but that's partially because they created such a versatile engine in the first place.It should commendable to the developers that they managed to create such a versatile engine while still managing to keep everything balanced.

I already explained how Brawl lacks a proper form of punishment.

There is basically no hitstun.Almost none whatsoever.It is because of the lack of hitstun that makes it so that when a character attacks their opponent for their faulty actions,there is a strong possibility that the attacking character will be punished instead,because he might be left at a disadvantage.The lack of comboing also prevents punishment fair enough to the mistakes the opponent made.The opponent made the mistake,and the attacker is the one punished; not fair in the slightest.It shouldn't work like that.

Camping (lobbing projectiles at the end of a stage,in this example) is a promoted and (sadly) effective technique.Gameplay speed has been decreased fairly significantly,and the amount of approach techniques has been decreased significantly as well,as every single one is boring,predictable,easily visible,and leave the attack open for (unfair) punishment.Approaching has no longer become a viable option.One could make the risk of approaching,facing damage,but the other player could easily move away,and start camping again.

Matches are kept even when they shouldn't be.I think you misinterpreted me when I said that "characters are on the same level when they shouldn't be," but my word choice wasn't perfect,and I apologize for my unclear wording.I was talking about how the unfair punishment left players at a constant neutral state within the fight itself,not the abilities of the in-game characters.

Recovery is overpowered beyond belief with many of the characters,and magnetic ledges with bigger ledge grabs worsen it.Metaknight,for example,has some of the most insane recovering abilities in the game; he will almost always get back on stage,period.The same could be said for many other characters in Brawl.But I can't say the same for Melee.

Bulky characters could stand a formidable chance in Melee.They weren't popular characters,but a seasoned player could work with them well.L-canceling (something not in Brawl) allowed that to be possible,with aerial attacks and movement sped up significantly,allowing for proper combos and punishment (also left out of Brawl).

OG_GhostKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OG_GhostKilla
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

The first week I had Brawl, I was really dissapointed, it was so much slower than melee. After playing a while I got used to it, and overall it's a way better looking and just a way better game. I miss being able to completely destroy with Falco in melee, now I'm not as good with him. Also if you did a meteor smash in melee, it sent a guy down every time. It's much more fast paced, but Brawl did a great job of balancing out characters. Brawl is a better game, if you need a reason to stick with it, just look at melee's graphics for 5 minutes.