The Off Topic Lounge: Wara Wara OTiiverse Plaza Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2303 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I beat The Wonderful 101 today.

What a crazy game.... Sometimes I hated it, sometimes I loved it, sometimes I just wanted to get better faster so I could have more fun.

But it feels like everything from the beginning to the credits was just training. I got the lowest rank on probably half the missions, and that won't do. Now that I'm actually good at the game (and have all the weapons and all the good powerups), going back through the missions is going to be really fun.

And it'll give me a chance to figure out some of the stuff that was inscrutable the first time. This game has more "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????" moments than any game I've ever played. Only one or two of them were game-stopping. Most were enemy attacks that seemed undodgeable but clearly had a counterattack that I just couldn't figure out, so I had to die multiple times till I whittled the enemy's health down enough.

It's really good, though. Frantic is probably the best word to describe it, and I don't just mean the action on the screen.... You'll be drawing on the gamepad like a mad man, getting really good at making strange shapes with your left hand in quick succession. It's a blast and you all should get it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2304 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I beat The Wonderful 101 today.

What a crazy game.... Sometimes I hated it, sometimes I loved it, sometimes I just wanted to get better faster so I could have more fun.

But it feels like everything from the beginning to the credits was just training. I got the lowest rank on probably half the missions, and that won't do. Now that I'm actually good at the game (and have all the weapons and all the good powerups), going back through the missions is going to be really fun.

And it'll give me a chance to figure out some of the stuff that was inscrutable the first time. This game has more "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????" moments than any game I've ever played. Only one or two of them were game-stopping. Most were enemy attacks that seemed undodgeable but clearly had a counterattack that I just couldn't figure out, so I had to die multiple times till I whittled the enemy's health down enough.

It's really good, though. Frantic is probably the best word to describe it, and I don't just mean the action on the screen.... You'll be drawing on the gamepad like a mad man, getting really good at making strange shapes with your left hand in quick succession. It's a blast and you all should get it.

JordanElek
Planning to. Gotta try the demo first.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2305 JordanElek

Planning to. Gotta try the demo first.MonsieurX
Good. I've seen several people say they tried the demo and were turned off by it, though. Maybe they were just looking for a simple action game. Before I played the demo, I thought it looked like a simple action game but I wanted more. The demo proved that there was more to it, and that was only scratching the surface.

I had to play through the whole demo twice to even begin to appreciate it. It's not a pick-up-and-play kind of game.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2306 MonsieurX

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] Planning to. Gotta try the demo first.JordanElek

Good. I've seen several people say they tried the demo and were turned off by it, though. Maybe they were just looking for a simple action game. Before I played the demo, I thought it looked like a simple action game but I wanted more. The demo proved that there was more to it, and that was only scratching the surface.

I had to play through the whole demo twice to even begin to appreciate it. It's not a pick-up-and-play kind of game.

Any games that the play style could be similar?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2307 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] Planning to. Gotta try the demo first.MonsieurX

Not really. I was thinking maybe Bayonetta, but the combat systems have totally different nuances. They're only similar in that battles are fast and crazy and hectic, and your goal is to combo everything and use the right moves to clear the enemies out as quickly as possible.

A good way to experience the game without buying it is to play through the demo to at least come to a basic understanding of it, then watch a YouTube video or two of someone getting a platinum rank in a level. If you haven't played it before watching a pro, it's just going to look like random nonsense.

And it's not like Pikmin. Too many people describe it that way. It's absolutely nothing like Pikmin.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2308 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I'm probably going to get it on Friday. It's either that or GTAV but I think I can wait on GTAV until the Winter.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2309 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
Am i the only one who's never actually played a GTA game? Both 4 and 5 look very tempting because of the big open worlds, good looking stories, and I love just losing myself in a good game. I've just never actually pulled the trigger. The more I see the new Sonic game on WiiU the more tempted to give it a shot when it comes out. It just looks good.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2310 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Am i the only one who's never actually played a GTA game?  roboccs

I haven't, although I'm watching a walkthrough of V on youtube. He uploads about three 15-20 minute videos a day.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2311 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
I'm impressed with the variety in gameplay in The Wonderful 101. And the dialogue is consistently hilarious so far!
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2312 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Hey Roboc, so much for finally finding a WR to pair with CJ huh?

I swear, he was trying to stop 2 pizzas from falling off his seat, sheesh

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2313 roboccs

Jaysonguy
I know man! Burleson was having a great year and was a great compliment to CJ! That's Lions Luck. This crap happens all the time. I'm curious to see if they'll promote WR's from within or go out and get someone... That better have been some top-dollar pizza he was saving!!
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2314 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

roboccs
I know man! Burleson was having a great year and was a great compliment to CJ! That's Lions Luck. This crap happens all the time. I'm curious to see if they'll promote WR's from within or go out and get someone... That better have been some top-dollar pizza he was saving!!

The city of detroit is dragging everything down with it :P
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2315 roboccs
[QUOTE="roboccs"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

TxTech1923

Nah, the Lions sucked way before the city went to s$&t. :P Still got the Tigers though! And the Lions are 2-1 right now, not a bad start with a big game this weekend...
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2316 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="roboccs"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="roboccs"] I know man! Burleson was having a great year and was a great compliment to CJ! That's Lions Luck. This crap happens all the time. I'm curious to see if they'll promote WR's from within or go out and get someone... That better have been some top-dollar pizza he was saving!!

Nah, the Lions sucked way before the city went to s$&t. :P Still got the Tigers though! And the Lions are 2-1 right now, not a bad start with a big game this weekend...

It's sad that I had to go on ESPN just to know which big game you were referring too :P, I've pretty much completely checked out from the NFL :( Slowly checking out of the NBA too, I imagine once Duncan retires that'll be it :P
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2317 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Who here has a Facebook page?

If so PM me ASAP

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2318 roboccs
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="roboccs"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"] The city of detroit is dragging everything down with it :P

It's sad that I had to go on ESPN just to know which big game you were referring too :P, I've pretty much completely checked out from the NFL :( Slowly checking out of the NBA too, I imagine once Duncan retires that'll be it :P

The Bears are a big divisional matchup for Detroit. And the NBA lost me years ago. I am somewhat intrigued by the Pistons this year though with the new acquisitions.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2319 haziqonfire

Nintendo needs to hurry up and get A Link to the Past on the 3DS Virtual Console. I've been waiting patiently hoping they would do it before A Link Between Worlds. I want to play it before A Link Between Worlds since I've never played LTTP. I'd rather have it on the 3DS than the Wii, but if I must ... I'll get it for the Wii VC.

I beat Mario & Luigi: Dream Team tonight. That game has a really really annoying final boss fight. Maybe I just suck but it was so frustrating. 

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2320 roboccs

Nintendo needs to hurry up and get A Link to the Past on the 3DS Virtual Console. I've been waiting patiently hoping they would do it before A Link Between Worlds. I want to play it before A Link Between Worlds since I've never played LTTP. I'd rather have it on the 3DS than the Wii, but if I must ... I'll get it for the Wii VC.

I beat Mario & Luigi: Dream Team tonight. That game has a really really annoying final boss fight. Maybe I just suck but it was so frustrating. 

Haziqonfire
You gotta play ALttP. Nuff said.
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2321 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

roboccs
You gotta play ALttP. Nuff said.

Word
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2322 MonsieurX

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="JordanElek"] Good. I've seen several people say they tried the demo and were turned off by it, though. Maybe they were just looking for a simple action game. Before I played the demo, I thought it looked like a simple action game but I wanted more. The demo proved that there was more to it, and that was only scratching the surface.

JordanElek

Not really. I was thinking maybe Bayonetta, but the combat systems have totally different nuances. They're only similar in that battles are fast and crazy and hectic, and your goal is to combo everything and use the right moves to clear the enemies out as quickly as possible.

A good way to experience the game without buying it is to play through the demo to at least come to a basic understanding of it, then watch a YouTube video or two of someone getting a platinum rank in a level. If you haven't played it before watching a pro, it's just going to look like random nonsense.

And it's not like Pikmin. Too many people describe it that way. It's absolutely nothing like Pikmin.

Finally played the demo...and it felt overwhelming. Had no idea what was going on,needs badly a tutorial :|
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2323 JordanElek

Finally played the demo...and it felt overwhelming. Had no idea what was going on,needs badly a tutorial :|MonsieurX
Aw, you can do it. Did you try the Wonderful Missions? Those are way more straightforward since they're entirely about combat. You can use those to figure out which attacks have what effect on each enemy.

For example, the shielded cannons on wheels are easiest to defeat if you team attack them (hammer on the X button) until they glow gold, draw a circle around them (turns into a rainbow circle) to pick them up, then toss them. They'll land upside down and you just whale on them, preferably with a big fist as your primary attack and as many extra swords and fists as you can spawn with your extra guys. And if it tries to shoot while you're trying to pick it up, block it with the ZL button just before it hits you to bounce it back for good damage to the shield, or if it's a laser, reflect it by standing still with a sword drawn. If the shield is gone, you can attack at will.

You can figure this stuff out without a tutorial. It tells you what you need to know, then you experiment. The full game also does a good job of being consistent in stuff, like the fact that blue lasers can always be deflected with a sword. I've fought some enemies dozens of times and still find new weaknesses. And I know there are more nuances that I've seen but haven't figured out how to manipulate yet.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2326 haziqonfire
I don't get why Drake never responds to my tweets. I'm always nice.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2327 JordanElek

I'm so happy that Valve was the first company to iterate on the WiiU gamepad. You can't do off-screen play with it, but it'll add all the functionality of the gamepad that I love, and it overlays a visual of the screen onto the main display while you're touching it so you don't have to look down if you don't want to.

This will make my decision between PC and WiiU versions much harder in the future, depending on the game and how well the screen is used.

SteamController.jpg

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2328 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I don't get why Drake never responds to my tweets. I'm always nice.

lol Nice Miiverse post. I'll look at some of your other posts when I'm back on my Wii U. I'm in the process of moving.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2329 wiifan001

I'm so happy that Valve was the first company to iterate on the WiiU gamepad. You can't do off-screen play with it, but it'll add all the functionality of the gamepad that I love, and it overlays a visual of the screen onto the main display while you're touching it so you don't have to look down if you don't want to.

This will make my decision between PC and WiiU versions much harder in the future, depending on the game and how well the screen is used.

SteamController.jpg

JordanElek

It looks bizarre, like a prototype of a boombox from the 90s.

I am stuck with a lot of questions, LOTS of questions over the controller, OS, and hardware.

But that's good because the other two options were to hate it or to not care about it. 

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2330 JordanElek

I reviewed The Wonderful 101. I tried to convey the actual feeling of playing the game since that's not something you can get from a video, and playing W101 feels like no other game.

I love it, you should get it.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2331 roboccs
I LOVE WHEN THE LIONS BEAT THE BEARS!!
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2332 TxTech1923
Rob you got me itching to play Xenoblade again -_- I forgot that I had saved at the point of no return so I could go back and get true 100% if I wanted, so I've been playing Xenoblade all weekend lol >.< I have ONE quest left that I have to kill level 120 Avalanche Abaasy (the strongest boss in the game) to get one of the items required.. He's so freaking hard to fight :(
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2333 roboccs
Rob you got me itching to play Xenoblade again -_- I forgot that I had saved at the point of no return so I could go back and get true 100% if I wanted, so I've been playing Xenoblade all weekend lol >.< I have ONE quest left that I have to kill level 120 Avalanche Abaasy (the strongest boss in the game) to get one of the items required.. He's so freaking hard to fight :(TxTech1923
I don't have to tell you this... But it's so freakin good. I'm very close to the end [spoiler] about to fight Dickson [/spoiler] . I get about 4-5 hours a weekend to play it...it's all I play lately. It has probably moved into the position of my favorite game this gen. I'll break down my complete impression of it when I finally finish it. It's funny I got you back into it... I don't recall bringing it up lately! I figure no one wants to hear much about me playing games that are 3 years old! :P
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2334 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"]Rob you got me itching to play Xenoblade again -_- I forgot that I had saved at the point of no return so I could go back and get true 100% if I wanted, so I've been playing Xenoblade all weekend lol >.< I have ONE quest left that I have to kill level 120 Avalanche Abaasy (the strongest boss in the game) to get one of the items required.. He's so freaking hard to fight :(roboccs
I don't have to tell you this... But it's so freakin good. I'm very close to the end [spoiler] about to fight Dickson [/spoiler] . I get about 4-5 hours a weekend to play it...it's all I play lately. It has probably moved into the position of my favorite game this gen. I'll break down my complete impression of it when I finally finish it. It's funny I got you back into it... I don't recall bringing it up lately! I figure no one wants to hear much about me playing games that are 3 years old! :P

Ah, it may have been old, I was reading posts I had missed :P I love that fight, afterwards is probably the coolest cutscenes in the game :D You can totally rant about the game or where you're at, I'm always up for it haha.. I'm trying to get all the gems I need to have a super build so I can just runaround owning the Suoer bosses :P There are only 2 left I need to beat, I missed more stuff on the first run than I thought.. Also.. [spoiler] Did you know that on e you get the replica Monado, you can take quests to have like 7 others built?? I never did, I have all of them except one, need materials from the dragon to get it :P Someof them look AWESOME. [/spoiler]
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2335 roboccs

Also.. [spoiler] Did you know that on e you get the replica Monado, you can take quests to have like 7 others built?? I never did, I have all of them except one, need materials from the dragon to get it :P Someof them look AWESOME. [/spoiler] TxTech1923

I was not aware of that actually but that is really awesome actually. I haven't gone too crazy with side quests. I have done some just to help with leveling up. I got to a point though where I was digging the story so much that I just kept wanting to keep progressing. So in all honesty I did probably 4-5 side quests in each main area. Plus, with only doing a pretty small amount of side questing I'm still at the 69 hour mark! THat's a long game... but while I was a little annoyed at the length earlier, it doesn't bother me a bit because I'm so engrossed in the game. Gonna be sad when it ends. I have a backlog of games I plan on getting to afterwards too and I'm already figuring out if I can start xenoblade over again because I forgot a lot of stuff from the beginning of the game. Crazy stuff. Haven't enjoyed a jrpg this much since Tales of Symphonia. That says a lot because that's one of my all time favorites. This is right up there.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2336 roboccs

Oh and also, I don't know why Nintendo doesn't make more Miiverse communities for upcoming games. They could at least do it for first-party games. They should already have communities for Monolith X, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, etc.... It's great discussing and getting into the hype of upcoming games, especially with a community as good as Nintendo's.

Plus I selfishly want one for X because I'm guessing normal contributors to a community like that would have likely played Xenoblade, it would have the potential for some fun GEEKY discussion. :P

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2337 roboccs

I'd be lying if I said Mario 3D World didn't look very good... Mario and HD were made for each other. Also, the way he lead into the DKC announcement you just knew he was going to announce a delay... Bummer for those who want the game. Also, announcing online for for Mario/Sonic Olympics was smart, I'm sure that would be a fun game to play online. Sonic Lost Worlds actually looks very promising as well.

Other than that, nothing to get too excited over. Not sure if I will buy any of these games, I may throw some hints out at Christmas time for Mario or Sonic Lost Worlds.

I'm not too worried though. I'm still playing through a significant backlog and all the games are good and long so I'm being kept busy that's for sure.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2338 haziqonfire

Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds are out on the same day. Nintendo, you're cruel.

Speaking of which since Nintendo didn't announce A Link to the Past on the 3DS Virtual Console, I bought it on the Wii. I played the opening part of the game. It was really fast paced and straight into it. I'm used to the slow paced openings of the newer entries. I'm hoping it continues at this pace actually.

In terms of the Zelda series and myself, I'm not 100% (or even close to that) familiar with the series. I haven't played a lot of key entries. I've mostly grown up on the 3D ones, but so far I'm liking the 2D over the top view style of LTTP.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2339 MonsieurX
I was excited to test out Super Mario Galaxy 2 running in 1080P through my Wii U,but all dem jaggies :|
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2340 TxTech1923
Ugh. DKC delay is a really sour note...
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2341 roboccs
I'm bummed they changed the music in the eShop... It was catchy... Maybe I'll get used to the new music...
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2342 TxTech1923
Blah, can't play my Xenoblade import on the VWii menu -_- I loathe Nintendo's region locking, it's like they beg people to mod.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2343 wiifan001
Blah, can't play my Xenoblade import on the VWii menu -_- I loathe Nintendo's region locking, it's like they beg people to mod.TxTech1923
Well, the other option for Nintendo was to never release it in N.A.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2344 haziqonfire

I'm bummed they changed the music in the eShop... It was catchy... Maybe I'll get used to the new music... roboccs

I actually like the new music lol.

LTTP is really cool. I'm on Death Mountain. I wasn't expecting so much from the 3D Zelda games to be represented in LTTP. This whole time I was under the assumption that all the names of the towns, races, etc started in Ocarina of Time.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2345 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"]Blah, can't play my Xenoblade import on the VWii menu -_- I loathe Nintendo's region locking, it's like they beg people to mod.wiifan001

How is that the alternative to not region locking the Wii U???? :S
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2346 wiifan001
[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"]Blah, can't play my Xenoblade import on the VWii menu -_- I loathe Nintendo's region locking, it's like they beg people to mod.TxTech1923

It's the alternative to never have played it at all, pirating, or moving to another continent.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2347 roboccs

[QUOTE="roboccs"]I'm bummed they changed the music in the eShop... It was catchy... Maybe I'll get used to the new music... Haziqonfire

LTTP is really cool. I'm on Death Mountain. I wasn't expecting so much from the 3D Zelda games to be represented in LTTP. This whole time I was under the assumption that all the names of the towns, races, etc started in Ocarina of Time.

Wow, I never considered this as a possibility. ALttP started quite a few things that continued to appear. Music especially!
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2348 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="wiifan001"] Well, the other option for Nintendo was to never release it in N.A.

It's the alternative to never have played it at all, pirating, or moving to another continent.

Not exactly sure what this has to do with the Wii Us region lockkkk..... O.O
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2349 JordanElek

[QUOTE="roboccs"]I'm bummed they changed the music in the eShop... It was catchy... Maybe I'll get used to the new music... Haziqonfire

You haven't played Zelda 2 either, have you? ;)

Town_of_Saria.png

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2350 haziqonfire

You haven't played Zelda 2 either, have you? ;)

Town_of_Saria.png

JordanElek

No I haven't, but I have it on my 3DS. I have The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons and The Minish Cap to play on the 3DS lol.