The coduit is supposed to be generic.

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I'm tired of people complaining about something they know nothing about. The conduit is supposed to be generic. It's supposed the first real shooter for the wii. There have been other shooters, but they have either been crap, ports, or metroid (awesome, but not a FPS).

If you're going to prove that the shooter is right for the wii, you don't go out trying crazy experimental ideas...you just do a damn good standard shooter. Something safe.

The 360 gets shooters with gimmicky elements to them (like terrain deforming or zero-G) because the console is saturated with them and devs need to make their games stand out.

The conduit has no competition. Its trying to be the wii shooter all other devs look to for example. You can't start making crazy gimmicky inventive shooters until someone sets the bar.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
If the fact that it's generic is the reason some people refuse to buy it, then they have a really odd way of choosing their games.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The Conduit is supposed to be generic?

Then you'll be happy to know it's succeeding!

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I agree. I'm glad it's generic because the Wii is lacking generic FPS games.
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts

Well, you should be pleased, The Conduit is as generic as can be.

Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
I'm fine with the Conduit and I'm happy with the direction it seems to go in. I mean, yeah, it doesn't have much competition on the Wii right now (except Call of Duty WaW) but it'll still do well on the Wii. I mean, it'll provide a bit to Wii owners I believe, and really I think it will be fine. It's just one more step in the right direction I think and I think it's really going to make up for what Red Steel was trying to be. Hopefully after this, we'll see some more FPS on the Wii, or at least on Nintendo's next generation console. That will definitely be something else to look forward to. I'm really looking forward to the Conduit. While it may not seem to be the most original on the surface, that shouldn't detract from it being a quality game which it's aspiring to be.
Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dingerious
Member since 2009 • 685 Posts

If the fact that it's generic is the reason some people refuse to buy it, then they have a really odd way of choosing their games.wiifan001

lmao

The people calling it generic are a small niche of the vocal minority. They're smaller than small. Realistically speaking, with regards to this game, they might as well not exist.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

You're right it is, it's what they are going for and I'm sure it will meet their own expectations as well as their fans. However, the fact of the matter is, many people, including myself simply don't like generic games. Whether it's people who also own and Xbox 360 and/or PS3 who have access to many other shooters, or people who simply take a liking to unique games (I'd fall in the latter category), the Conduit just doesn't do it for these people.But that's fine; you can't like all games and I'm not saying that this means the game will be bad, but it's still a legitimate complaint.

It's like Resident Evil, you can tell they made the controls like that deliberately to serve a purpose (whether we're talking about the old-school controls or the newer tank style controls), but those deliberate design choices none the less effect how much people enjoy the game, for better or worse.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I don't see how people can call it generic. Graphics aren't everything people! The controls are unique. The story is unique. The location is unique. The only thing that is generic is the visuals! That's only one part of the game people, the important stuff is far from generic!
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Generic or not, I still demand something with a bit of surprise, or new ideas, or something that's at least going to look and feel entertaining. I don't care if it doesn't break new ground, but I don't want to feel like I've "been there, done that" either. Thing about Conduit it, it seems like anything else. Sure it may have the best control options on Wii, fine and dandy, but I just hope I have a fun time with the game. To me, the Conduit doesn't look that entertaining, controls aside. It looks like another corridor shooter, and the gameplay just doesn't seem too inspired for me to want to rush out and buy it. I'm hoping at least the MP will be fun, because the SP doesn't look too enthralling to me. Perhaps the story will be interesting enough, or maybe the gameplay will play or feel better or have better moments than I see in the videos, as it just looks too generic enough for me to want to plunker down the money for.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#11 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

I'm tired of people complaining about something they know nothing about. The conduit is supposed to be generic...

goblaa

Well I'm tired of users trying to once-and-for-all end discussions by sloppy board postings. If you think SEGA set out to make "generic" games, then you're the one ignoring the facts. To accuse other people that they don't know what they're talking about is a provocative statement that surely is designed to cause trouble. Look at the list below, and try and argue that these features are "generic". No game setting out to be generic, as you state, would ever bother to put these ingredients in, as they are much more than "generic".

From the SEGA site itself:

• "Next-Gen" Visuals - Dynamic environment mapping, interactive water with real time reflection, and four stage texture composition including gloss, diffuse, and bump mapping all make this the best looking game on the Wii

• Fearsome Enemies - A vast number of terrifying alien creatures work against you as you attempt to prevent the invasion

• Intelligent Behavior - Enemies make use of human-like behavior in combat including use of cover and tactical thinking

• Intense Weaponry - Unleash destruction with a huge arsenal of human and alien weaponry that utilizes the innovative Wii controller for unique firing modes

• Secrets Revealed - Use a device called the All Seeing Eye (ASE) to reveal concealed objects and enemies, providing a deeper level of puzzle solving

• Full peripheral support - Nintendo's new Wii Speak & Wii MotionPlus

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
Being generic is a good thing for the start of this franchise. It's better that the company get all of the rules of FPS on the Wii down before they start introducing new stuff that could either help the game or destroy it completely. The Sonic Team added a new werehog level, which was a gimmick that destroyed the entire game. The Conduit is being generic to avoid that.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts

• Full peripheral support - Nintendo's new Wii Speak & Wii MotionPlusso_hai

Considering Motion Plus has already been canned you may not want to use that source. lol

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

I'm tired of people complaining about something they know nothing about. The conduit is supposed to be generic...

so_hai

Well I'm tired of users trying to once-and-for-all end discussions by sloppy board postings. If you think SEGA set out to make "generic" games, then you're the one ignoring the facts. To accuse other people that they don't know what they're talking about is a provocative statement that surely is designed to cause trouble. Look at the list below, and try and argue that these features are "generic". No game setting out to be generic, as you state, would ever bother to put these ingredients in, as they are much more than "generic".

• "Next-Gen" Visuals - Dynamic environment mapping, interactive water with real time reflection, and four stage texture composition including gloss, diffuse, and bump mapping all make this the best looking game on the Wii

• Fearsome Enemies - A vast number of terrifying alien creatures work against you as you attempt to prevent the invasion

• Intelligent Behavior - Enemies make use of human-like behavior in combat including use of cover and tactical thinking

• Intense Weaponry - Unleash destruction with a huge arsenal of human and alien weaponry that utilizes the innovative Wii controller for unique firing modes

• Secrets Revealed - Use a device called the All Seeing Eye (ASE) to reveal concealed objects and enemies, providing a deeper level of puzzle solving

• Full peripheral support - Nintendo's new Wii Speak & Wii MotionPlus

Sega's not making this game...

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

[QUOTE="so_hai"]From the SEGA site itself:

• Full peripheral support - Nintendo's new Wii Speak & Wii MotionPlusAlexSays

Considering Motion Plus has already been canned you may not want to use that source. lol

If you know so much, what else was "canned" from that list?
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlexSays

If you know so much, what else was "canned" from that list?so_hai

Yes I do know a lot but that's irrelevant here.

You're using an unreliable source to counter someone's point.

Want proof or something?

HEREANDHEREOHHERETOO

And I'd read the rest but that blue hurts my eyes. lol

deimos113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deimos113
Member since 2007 • 516 Posts
Oh my god who cares if its termed at generic. As long as its a good, fun game, who gives a damn.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlexSays
Oh my god who cares if its termed at generic. As long as its a good, fun game, who gives a damn.deimos113
Haven't you heard? People only buy "original" games now. Which means each person on here... has a very sad collection. lol
Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

First of all can someone plesae define 'generic' as a description of this game because as far as I can see apart from it being an FPS there's nothing generic about it.

Where is it set? Washington DC, using real world locations - do any other major FPSs out there do this?

Halo? No

Halflife? No

Resistance? Not played but although it's set on earth not sure it features real locations.

Bioshock? No

Call of Duty 5/Medal of Honor? Set on earth but in a different location entirely.

Call of Duty 4? Set on earth but in a different location entirely.

Deus Ex? No

Killzone2? No

What time zone is it set in? The near future as far as I can tell - do any other major FPSs out there do this?

Halo? No

Halflife? No

Resistance? Possibly

Call of Duty 5/Medal of Honor? No

Call of Duty 4? Yes, It is a near future enviroment.

What type of enemies do you have? Invading Aliens

Halo? Yes

Halflife? Yes

Resistance? yes

Call of Duty 5/MoH? No

Call of Duty 4? No

And you can go on with all sorts of stuff like the weapon types and the plot and you'll find that although there are other FPSs that have bits that are the same in other FPSs but none of them are indentical.

So is The Conduit Generic? No!

Is it shaping up to be a first class FPS on the Wii? Yes!

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="deimos113"]Oh my god who cares if its termed at generic. As long as its a good, fun game, who gives a damn.AlexSays
Haven't you heard? People only buy "original" games now. Which means each person on here... has a very sad collection. lol

Peoples standards are too high then. There are plenty of original games on the Wii. Just not in the FPS genre.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlexSays
Peoples standards are too high then. There are plenty of original games on the Wii. Just not in the FPS genre.firefox59
You missed the point. There's nothing original about Metroid Prime 3 or Twilight Princess. It's a new coat of polish slapped on a prior game. Did people pass up both of those because they weren't new and didn't revolutionize their genre? Very few people. Which is why the "Oh we've seen this before" is a terrible excuse. The game can be fun and not change anything. Mega Man 9 anyone?
What time zone is it set in? The near future as far as I can tell - do any other major FPSs out there do this?Nomad0404
Seriusli? What makes you think the aliens in this game could come tomorrow but the aliens in different games will come much later?
Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Unkoil666
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts

Generic or not, games gonna be good! At least the developers are actually putting in the time to make a solid title for the Wii the way ALL developers SHOULD. The controls alone are what will make this game stand out from all other FPS' out there. Plus it will be one of the best looking titles the console has seen (environments will look fine once the game is complete.) and, if you watch any of the videos it looks like the enemies have fairly decent AI which will make for some intense shoot outs.

I've played tons of FPS' and i'm more excited for The Conduit than I am for, say, Singularity or the next installment of CoD. It will be, by and far, the best controlling FPS yet as WE, the users, have total control over the ........control scheme :P.

Great visuals on Wii, user created controls, and intense action. THAT is what The Conduit is all about.

Add in all the standard FPS multi-player modes (CTF on WII!!!) plus the modes they are creating that HV has said will be unique to this game and you've got a great, solid effort for the first game in a new IP.

Everyone acting all high and mighty, hoity-toity, needs to come down off that pedestal and realize that this game is a labor of love created for Wii fans who just want to play a good, Wii-specific FPS game. Get your noses out of the air, you play video games for Pete's sake. When did "nerd" become the new "jock"?

Flame in 3....2....1...

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

I blame the art direction for the game appearing so generic. There's no defining characterstic to really separate it (the art) from other games. If you were to put this game on the 360, it would probably get lost amongst the sea of FPS's.

But, it's not on the 360, it's on a console starving for FPS and it's using IR controls and WiiSpeak. That, in and of itself, makes the game original enough for me.

Just because the art isn't blowing my mind, doesn't mean that all other aspects of the game will be equally bland.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nomad0404

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Peoples standards are too high then. There are plenty of original games on the Wii. Just not in the FPS genre.AlexSays
You missed the point. There's nothing original about Metroid Prime 3 or Twilight Princess. It's a new coat of polish slapped on a prior game. Did people pass up both of those because they weren't new and didn't revolutionize their genre? Very few people. Which is why the "Oh we've seen this before" is a terrible excuse. The game can be fun and not change anything. Mega Man 9 anyone?
What time zone is it set in? The near future as far as I can tell - do any other major FPSs out there do this?Nomad0404
Seriusli? What makes you think the aliens in this game could come tomorrow but the aliens in different games will come much later?

Seriusli is actually spelt Seriously.

Sorry I fail to understand your point. My reference is to the time frame in which the game is set, which is only apparent in one other major FPS I can name and that is Resistance. The point being that people are accusing The Conduit of being Generic, my point is to argue against that. It's clearly not set in a similar time frame to all but one of the big FPSs that have come out in recent years:

Halo is set in the future as a race we've travelled off into space.

Halflife is set in a different time zone as well.

Doom is set in a different time zone as we've colonised other planets/satelites.

COD4 is set in the near future.

COD5 is set in the recent(ish) past.

Deus Ex thats in the future.

Bioshock, current day, however, the place you find is set in a retro style.

Resistance is near future.

Do you have anything further to add?

Luka_38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Luka_38
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts

honestly... i really want counduit to suceed, but the truth is, its not really original. I't looks too much like half-life. it looks fun but it won't be groundbreaking, unless it has a great multiplayer, the singleplayer doesn't look that much new or original... sorry but it's true, i want to belive that it will be great but i don't think so. maybe im wrong, maybe it will be great... but we will only see if it's true when the game comes out

Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Unkoil666
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts

[QUOTE="AlexSays"][QUOTE="firefox59"] You missed the point. There's nothing original about Metroid Prime 3 or Twilight Princess. It's a new coat of polish slapped on a prior game. Did people pass up both of those because they weren't new and didn't revolutionize their genre? Very few people. Which is why the "Oh we've seen this before" is a terrible excuse. The game can be fun and not change anything. Mega Man 9 anyone? [QUOTE="Nomad0404"]What time zone is it set in? The near future as far as I can tell - do any other major FPSs out there do this?Nomad0404

Sorry I fail to understand your point. My reference is to the time frame in which the game is set, which is only apparent in one other major FPS I can name and that is Resistance. The point being that people are accusing The Conduit of being Generic, my point is to argue against that. It's clearly not set in a similar time frame to all but one of the big FPSs that have come out in recent years:

Doom is set in a different time zone as we've colonised other planets/satelites.

Just a heads up, you're wrong on a few points. Not trying to be anal, just helping you out.

Resistance takes place in 1951, not the near future.

Bioshock takes place in the 60's. Not "current day".

CoD: World at War (NOT 5) takes place DURING WWII. It dates from late 1930's to the mid 1940's. Not really "recent(ish)".

Just helping you out before someone goes bonkers on you.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
On a console where creativity and innovation is encouraged, being generic on purpose is not something I look forward to ;).
Dax207983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dax207983
Member since 2005 • 648 Posts

Um, the word "generic" virtually always has negative connotations, so saying that "I hope this game will be generic" is quite an odd thing to say. Maybe if you put it like, "This game won't have any distracting gimmicks", or "This game does what works for an FPS".

Honestly, though, most shooters today follow the same basic formulas...from Gears of War to Resistance to Killzone 2...I guess it'd be nice if The Conduit tried to be somewhat intellectually stimulating like Bioshock, but whatever. Controls, graphics and entertainment value are what most (good) games strive for.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nomad0404

[QUOTE="Nomad0404"]

[QUOTE="AlexSays"] Seriusli? What makes you think the aliens in this game could come tomorrow but the aliens in different games will come much later?Unkoil666

Just a heads up, you're wrong on a few points. Not trying to be anal, just helping you out.

Resistance takes place in 1951, not the near future.

Bioshock takes place in the 60's. Not "current day".

CoD: World at War (NOT 5) takes place DURING WWII. It dates from late 1930's to the mid 1940's. Not really "recent(ish)".

Just helping you out before someone goes bonkers on you.

Thanks for that I'm not the be all and end all of gaming knowledge but you have helped to prove my point. Nobody who has posted in this thread has effectively defined for me what they mean by Generic and I am begining to suspect they mean 'It's just another FPS' but that's like saying SMG is just another platformer.

It's not necessarily an original story line but it is fairly original for the FPS world and from what I've seen it looks pretty good to boot. I'm going to get it it'll be my first FPS on the Wii.

Phil

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

When people say The Conduit looks generic, I think they generally mean that there isn't one defining feature that serves to separate it from the basic FPS formula.

the truth is, its not really original. I't looks too much like half-life.Luka_38
Half-life is a good example of a game that isn't generic at all (at least not in the way that people are using the word). It's generic in the sense that it's designed within the general limits of the genre - first-person perspective, guns for primary weapon, grenades for secondary, one main superhuman protagonist, etc. We all know what FPS games usually have. But even within those limits, it sets itself apart from the rest by its unique story-telling style. There are no cutscenes, you're in control for every second of the game, but it's still a very cinematic experience. Half-life 2 adds a ton of gameplay elements by simply making use of a great physics engine and a gravity gun.

What keeps a game from becoming too generic is how it sets itself apart from others in its genre. It's pretty clear to me that High Voltage is trying to do this with the All-Seeing Eye. It's the only thing that stands out from other similarly themed FPSs. Sure, no other Wii FPS takes place in the current US with aliens invading, but the FPS genre doesn't exist in a Wii bubble, and even then, games have to set themselves apart through some gameplay elements, not necessarily story. Even Half-life's story-telling style is a solid part of its gameplay and generally defines the whole game. It's not the story itself that makes it so great... it's the way it's told.

But the All-Seeing Eye doesn't seem very special to me. Maybe we just haven't seen all it can do, but it's not a feature that gets me excited. Most people are saying that the controls and the graphics are what keep this from being generic. Sorry, but I don't think those have anything to do with genre in this case. The graphics have been done elsewhere and aren't state-of-the-art. The controls don't add anything new to the gameplay; they just make the gameplay easier to perform. Full customization is great but nothing new. HUD customization is pretty unique, but again, it doesn't change the game in any way.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Here's the definition of 'generic': according to dictionary.com:

generic ge·ner·ic (jə-něr'ĭk)
adj.

1. Of or relating to a genus.
  2. Relating to or descriptive of an entire group, general.
  3. Not having a trademark or brand name

I think def # 2 is the most descrptive use of 'generic' in video game terms.

As you can see, just about any FPS can be considered 'generic', including Halo, Call of Duty, Quake, Doom, Far Cry, Half Life, etc. Why? Well it's just as what definition #2 says--they all fall under the genre or group called 'First Person Shooter'. The next time people want to call The Conduit 'generic' lets see if your prepared to call your favorite FPS games generic as well. Lets see if you're willing to go onto the 360 and PS3 forums and call Halo 3, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 'generic' and lets see if the fanboys of those beloved games are willing to accept that or even understand.

I just tell it like it is if no one else will.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JordanElek

genericge·ner·ic (jə-něr'ĭk)
adj.

As you can see, just about any FPS can be considered 'generic', including Halo, Call of Duty, Quake, Doom, Far Cry, Half Life, etc. Why? Well it's just aswhat definition #2 says--they all fall under the genre or group called 'First Person Shooter'.Tri-Enforcer

This is true, but the final word in that definition is key here. Generic does literally mean that it's part of a genre. But the word has evolved to have a certain negative connotation in general use, which the above definition encompasses in the word general. Other definitions say "not specific." This is what I was referring to in my above post. Most FPS games have a feature or group of features that set it apart from the rest of the genre. In other words, those features allow the game to be a specific part of the genre rather than simply a representation of the whole genre.

A weak analogy might be that you have a dozen eggs, but one of them has been painted for Easter. They're all still eggs, but the painted one can be pointed out as a special egg. The other eggs, even though each one is a specific egg, might as well be any egg, because they don't have a defining feature.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dingerious

One of my biggest pet peeves is some jackhole calling the game generic then going off and listing everything that makes the game unique and immediately discounting it for no reason.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

[QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

genericge·ner·ic (jə-něr'ĭk)
adj.

As you can see, just about any FPS can be considered 'generic', including Halo, Call of Duty, Quake, Doom, Far Cry, Half Life, etc. Why? Well it's just aswhat definition #2 says--they all fall under the genre or group called 'First Person Shooter'.JordanElek

This is true, but the final word in that definition is key here. Generic does literally mean that it's part of a genre. But the word has evolved to have a certain negative connotation in general use, which the above definition encompasses in the word general. Other definitions say "not specific." This is what I was referring to in my above post. Most FPS games have a feature or group of features that set it apart from the rest of the genre. In other words, those features allow the game to be a specific part of the genre rather than simply a representation of the whole genre.

A weak analogy might be that you have a dozen eggs, but one of them has been painted for Easter. They're all still eggs, but the painted one can be pointed out as a special egg. The other eggs, even though each one is a specific egg, might as well be any egg, because they don't have a defining feature.

None the less, the only thing generic about The Conduit is it's art style. As I said in my earlier post, the controls, technical power, setting, and plot are all unique. Don't judge a book by it's cover and call The Conduit generic just because of the art style of the levels we have seen.
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tri-Enforcer

@JordanElek

"This is true, but the final word in that definition is key here. Generic does literally mean that it's part of a genre. But the word has evolved to have a certain negative connotation in general use, which the above definition encompasses in the word general. Other definitions say "not specific." This is what I was referring to in my above post. Most FPS games have a feature or group of features that set it apart from the rest of the genre. In other words, those features allow the game to be a specific part of the genre rather than simply a representation of the whole genre.

A weak analogy might be that you have a dozen eggs, but one of them has been painted for Easter. They're all still eggs, but the painted one can be pointed out as a special egg. The other eggs, even though each one is a specific egg, might as well be any egg, because they don't have a defining feature."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok cool, when you put it like that, then The Conduit and some popular FPS like Modern Warfare and Halo 3 are not generic. They are indeed FPS, but not generic. The Conduit has the All Seeing Eye which has a function that is different from most FPS devices and it is used differently from most FPS devices (as you pointed out). The Conduit is also the most customizable console FPS shooter ever! It has a vast array of options for setting Wii pointer sensitivity, setting controller layout/function (including gestures--which is a first!), and you can even set the HUD to your liking.

Also, The Conduit is the closest FPSto an HD experience with Wii Controls (not calling it HD by any means since the Wii isn't HD and yes 360/PS3 FPS are HD, but they don't have Wii Controls--which I and some other gamers may prefer). So if we go by specifics then this thread is crushed and so is the use of calling The Conduit 'generic'.

However people won't follow this logic and will keep calling The Conduit 'generic' which would be out of context and because it's stuck in their heads.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JordanElek

None the less, the only thing generic about The Conduit is it's art style. As I said in my earlier post, the controls, technical power, setting, and plot are all unique.Head_of_games
Setting and plot don't have much to do with the genre, though. The FPS genre puts no boundary on what can take place or where. Technical power also has little bearing on the genre, and it's not something that can be called unique in the genre as a whole. It's unique for the Wii, but we're talking about the FPS genre, which includes everything from the first FPS to the most recent.

The controls, like I said before, don't change the gameplay in the slightest - they just make it easier to perform. I'm not bashing the controls whatsoever, because I'm sure they'll be awesome, but the game follows conventional FPS standards when it comes to what the controls do. You could slap those controls on pretty much any FPS and not change the game at all, just make it easier to play and probably more fun. In the same way, High Voltage could support the classic controller and still have the same game. The controls don't change anything related to genre.

MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MischiefmAker
Member since 2004 • 907 Posts

"Looks generic" has become the generic response.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jaysonguy

MischiefmAker

Much the way "wet" is the popular answer for describing water

The game is generic, if people like that then great but some are under the impression it's bringing something new to the genre. It's not

It's the same old thing.

MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MischiefmAker

[QUOTE="MischiefmAker"]

Jaysonguy

The game is generic, if people like that then great but some are under the impression it's bringing something new to the genre. It's not

It's the same old thing.

Meh, maybe it is. It sure looks all run n' gun at the moment with little defining it besides the Wii motion controls (and trying to improve things on the Wii which are already standardized on the other consoles). And the only things that High Voltage seem to be telling us about the game are the motion controls, graphics and AI. Maybe that is all there is to tell, but I'm still curious about any other details, esp. in regards to the All Seeing Eye, which everybody seems to have forgotten (maybe even HV, since we only see it in the same two scenes over and over haha).

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tri-Enforcer

[QUOTE="MischiefmAker"]

Jaysonguy

It's the same old thing.

The same goes for all those mini games you like.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dingerious

Setting and plot don't have much to do with the genre, though.

JordanElek

Half-life is a good example of a game that isn't generic at all (at least not in the way that people are using the word). It's generic in the sense that it's designed within the general limits of the genre - first-person perspective, guns for primary weapon, grenades for secondary, one main superhuman protagonist, etc. We all know what FPS games usually have. But even within those limits,it sets itself apart from the rest by its unique story-telling style.

JordanElek

wat?

So let me get this straight: the story is irrelevent, unless of course they let you move around during the (usually unskippable) cutscenes. Excellent.

Great. All The Conduit has to do is have all of its cutscenes in real-time and viola, it's no longer generic.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dingerious

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="MischiefmAker"]

Tri-Enforcer

It's the same old thing.

If you haven't noticed yet, he posts for the sole reason of annoying people. He's only ever posted one single link to back up his claims, and he always misinterprets his links.

There's a word for people who post like that, but they usually get all up in arms over it and report you for calling them out.

JimmyJames210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JimmyJames210
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

The Conduit is supposed to be generic?

Then you'll be happy to know it's succeeding!

Jaysonguy
You do realize it is going to surpass any other Wii shooter out there. I can back up this statement because I have played all the Wii FPS's because of the IR. Can't wait to hear what the other online game modes are.
MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MischiefmAker

Can't wait to hear what the other online game modes are.JimmyJames210

Using the All Seeing Eye to play hide and seek!

Well I thought it sounded fun. :(

JimmyJames210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JimmyJames210
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="MischiefmAker"]

Jaysonguy

It's the same old thing.

It isn't the same old thing. It has similarities with Halo or Half Life, but none of those game are on Wii. It is bringing something new, completely custumizable button layout, dead zone sizeing, aiming sensitivity, and an actual attempt for FPS online. World at War's online was decent, but with only 2 modes, free-for-all and team death match, I don't count those other variations of these modes.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="MischiefmAker"]

Tri-Enforcer

It's the same old thing.

Please explain because I cannot wait to hear this

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JordanElek

So let me get this straight: the story is irrelevent, unless of course they let you move around during the (usually unskippable) cutscenes. Excellent.

Great. All The Conduit has to do is have all of its cutscenes in real-time and viola, it's no longer generic.Dingerious

You're oversimplifying it. There's much more to Half-life's storytelling than just letting you move during cutscenes, which isn't an accurate way to describe it anyway since there aren't any cutscenes. The entire experience feels different from any other FPS because of that feature, and as far as I know, it was the first to really use it effectively. From start to finish, the game is a seamless story, while other games in the genre (especially at the time of its release) feel very fragmented into defined Story segments and Gameplay segments.

Tell me one thing that separates The Conduit from every other FPS. The only thing I can see is the All-Seeing Eye, but like I said, that doesn't seem to be the focus of the game. The developer has been spouting "graphics and controls" all along, which makes sense for them to do on the Wii, but those things don't do anything to set it apart in the entire FPS genre.

As a quick example here, look at the whole Mario platforming series. Each one added something to set it apart, not only from the other Mario games, but also from every other platformer. That's how a developer keeps a "genre game" fresh. Stick with the fundamentals of the genre while tweaking or adding something to make it a new experience.

A lot of people are satisfied with High Voltage only adding good Wii controls to make The Conduit a new experience, and that's totally fine. But that's not enough to satisfy everyone, especially those who are already getting tired of the genre. New controls don't change what you do in the game.

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

I hate to say it, but the game just looks soo boring. (http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/conduit1_10min_100208.html)

The environment is so painfully "generic". Can't they come up with something more original or exciting? The enemies are either standing still or running aimlessly from side-to-side. It feels like I'm playing Wolfenstein 3D with IR controls.