So they decided to dumb down RE:UC, because some Wii owners are stupid????

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Here is a condensed version of the interview Kawata gave, with some highlights.

"At the intital stage of development, Umbrella Chronicle's play system was similar to Resident Evil 4's, "producer Kawata said in an interview. Wii users like easiness, and complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users. To achieve this goal Kawata had to reduce the difficulty level."

So, because some Wii owners are stupid, simple minded people, games that I may have enjoyed, will be hacked and slashed to cater to them. These are the same people who watch stupid family films, and wouldn't give a movie like Blade Runner a chance in hell. What an insult to my mind, and I thought Wii was going to be a more open minded console.

RE games were never meant to be for simple minded people. Why all of a sudden change the whole structure of what made the games great???

MrUn1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MrUn1t
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts
$$$
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
Because Capcom thinks Wii is just for 10 year olds.
T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 T3h1337Pwnz
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Because Capcom thinks Wii is just for 10 year olds.Radiozo

srsly quoted for truth 

blazethe1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 blazethe1
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts
for all we know, their previous difficulty was only beatable by the creators themselves! i for one thought farcry was ridiculously hard because it was unfair how often they could spot you and shoot you when you dont even see them. unless of course you crouch down under a house, they'll never look under there!
kith_kat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kith_kat
Member since 2003 • 125 Posts
yeah i just read that off of ign so yeah i think they just killed off a good game... they say all that crud then they go and remake re4? saying that uc was too complicated if it was like re 4 on the wii but they go make re 4 on the wii?? eh watever
soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts

Lol:

"Wii users like easiness, and complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users."

Thats a big F-You from Capcom. Yah pressing more than one button is sooo damn hard! Gee thanks Capcom!!

Sunshyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Sunshyn
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts
I don't think the article was saying they're dumbing down their games because SOME Wii owners are stupid and simple minded. The wording gives me the impression that they're doing it because Capcom thinks MOST Wii owners are stupid and simple minded.  
RiceKrispie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RiceKrispie
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
isnt the game soppouse to span over all the previous Resident Evil titles? The way i see it i think the whole purpose of this game is to introduce all the new gamers who have never had a chance to play resident evil to do just that get their feet what and know exactly whats going on in the series..then after UC they will make a true resident evil game for the wii.
omega_link2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omega_link2
Member since 2006 • 357 Posts
this is really dissapointing from a company like capcom. I thought this game had a chance..... its really bothering me that devs think the wii is a simple little white box that cant do much! get it toghether devs!!!!
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts

for all we know, their previous difficulty was only beatable by the creators themselves! i for one thought farcry was ridiculously hard because it was unfair how often they could spot you and shoot you when you dont even see them. unless of course you crouch down under a house, they'll never look under there!blazethe1

I did think farcry for the PC was hella hard, I hated getting snipped by guys with AK47s that were way way up above me rofl.

kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts

this is really dissapointing from a company like capcom. I thought this game had a chance..... its really bothering me that devs think the wii is a simple little white box that cant do much! get it toghether devs!!!!omega_link2

they didn't say teh system isn't capable of doing it, they said the gamers who own it aren't capable of something as complex as RE4 :roll: 

n64nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 n64nut
Member since 2003 • 111 Posts

Well it isn't the first time Capcom's done this; they dumbed down RE4 in order to make it accessable to a wider audience. However at least that game wasn't overtly trying to be insulting. You'd think that a game like RE:UC which is supposed to reveal a major plot point in the series, the fall of Umbrella, would have been treated with more respect and care.

I've been a RE fan since RE2 on the PS1, and while I'm eager to see the fall of Umbrella I just can't get hyped over a game that is largely based on recycled material. Hopefully RE5 can give us a proper main RE game. 

XxSPAZxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XxSPAZxX
Member since 2007 • 1213 Posts

o well there lost just going to get RE4 Wii edition

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

"At the intital stage of development, Umbrella Chronicle's play system was similar to Resident Evil 4's, "producer Kawata said in an interview. Wii users like easiness, and complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users. To achieve this goal Kawata had to reduce the difficulty level."

So, because some Wii owners are stupid, simple minded people, games that I may have enjoyed, will be hacked and slashed to cater to them. These are the same people who watch stupid family films, and wouldn't give a movie like Blade Runner a chance in hell. What an insult to my mind, and I thought Wii was going to be a more open minded console.

RE games were never meant to be for simple minded people. Why all of a sudden change the whole structure of what made the games great???

emgesp

Who's Capcom's President...I want to string him up...

The Wii isn't just for kids and less capable people. Its about the whole motion sensing thing. Whats ironic about this is most Resident Evil games are rated M. Would you seriously dumb down all the M rated games? I for one liked Resident Evil 0,1 and 4 that came out on the Gamecube. They were all pretty good (especially the 4th one). I think Capcom just made a bunch of gamers angry.

XxSPAZxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XxSPAZxX
Member since 2007 • 1213 Posts
wait they dumbed down RE4 it's not hard of that game XD
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
No it's cause Capcom devs are lazy asses.
mauler89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 mauler89
Member since 2003 • 139 Posts
OK, now this is just sad.  It's people like this that really contribute to the self-fulfilling prophecy that the Wii is for people who hate the kind of 'complexity' seen in RE4.  As long as devs keep this bone-headed idea on mind when making games, then the Wii will only have lukewarm titles.  I really hope that the game isn't horribly butchered, but...
Avatar image for YusukeUnleashed
YusukeUnleashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YusukeUnleashed
Member since 2005 • 909 Posts
I think that RE:UC could still be good even if they dumb it down somewhat. It is insulting in a way though:?
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#20 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
I don't get this, not all Wii owners are simple minded. This is so unbelievable, expecially sense Capcom is doing this.:x What are they thinking, most little kids and old adults I'm predicting is not even going to play this game! Just because Nintendo open up the market to new gamers that doesn't mean they need to dumb down the game which might ruin what makes RE games good.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

[QUOTE="Radiozo"]Because Capcom thinks Wii is just for 10 year olds.T3h1337Pwnz

srsly quoted for truth 

yup and the truth sucks in this case like the yankees suck
nytrospawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nytrospawn
Member since 2003 • 3962 Posts
Theres a reason why theyre doing this, and its not because of Wii owners being stupid. You see, if they had made RE:UC as they said they would, there would be no reason to port RE4 to the Wii. But, now that its an on-rails shooter, they can safely port RE4 to the Wii without it conflicting with RE:UC. You see, they want to publish 2 RE games instead of 1 RE game that has elements of both. Double the money for half the effort.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Theres a reason why theyre doing this, and its not because of Wii owners being stupid. You see, if they had made RE:UC as they said they would, there would be no reason to port RE4 to the Wii. But, now that its an on-rails shooter, they can safely port RE4 to the Wii without it conflicting with RE:UC. You see, they want to publish 2 RE games instead of 1 RE game that has elements of both. Double the money for half the effort.nytrospawn
I would rather have UC better and just forget about Res 4 wii edition.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Theres a reason why theyre doing this, and its not because of Wii owners being stupid. You see, if they had made RE:UC as they said they would, there would be no reason to port RE4 to the Wii. But, now that its an on-rails shooter, they can safely port RE4 to the Wii without it conflicting with RE:UC. You see, they want to publish 2 RE games instead of 1 RE game that has elements of both. Double the money for half the effort.nytrospawn

You have a point there, but thats not really what it is about. They want to try and take advantage of the market that Nintendo has brought into gaming. Basically the people who bought the Wii to play Wii Sports like games, however what Capcom doesnt understand is that there may be alot of those people but they are not the majority. and even if they were, if they wanted to play games like RE they would have been in gaming along time ago. So this attempt to play to that crowd at the expense of thier established fanbase will backfire.

cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cruxe
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts

I would rather have UC better and just forget about Res 4 wii edition.Duckman5

Agreed! they ave been signed to do a series of UC's for the Wii so hopefully when everyone realises how s*** an on rails shooter will be and it gets bad reviews they will make the next one a bit more how they intended the first... (RE4 style)

Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
takisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 takisse
Member since 2007 • 281 Posts

"At the intital stage of development, Umbrella Chronicle's play system was similar to Resident Evil 4's, "producer Kawata said in an interview. Wii users like easiness, and complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users. To achieve this goal Kawata had to reduce the difficulty level."

So, because some Wii owners are stupid...

emgesp

Capcom is talking of complex OPERABILITY (aka Control interface) and not of complexity of GAMEPLAY. They are completely different... So Capcom is not saying that Wii players are stupid, but that wii need accessible controls due to the controller.

Please read better before blasting someone.

cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cruxe
[QUOTE="emgesp"]

takisse

Capcom is talking of complex OPERABILITY (aka Control interface) and not of complexity of GAMEPLAY. They are completely different... So Capcom is not saying that Wii players are stupid, but that wii need accessible controls due to the controller.

WII USERS LIKE EASINESS, and complex operability can be an OBSTACLE FOR WII USERS...
we like easiness?? no, no we dont. Well i myself like to be challenged by a game and not just stroll through it on normal in about 7 hours. If they can make RE4 usable and playable then they can surley make this the same!

takisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 takisse
[QUOTE="takisse"][QUOTE="emgesp"]

cruxe

WII USERS LIKE EASINESS, and complex operability can be an OBSTACLE FOR WII USERS...
we like easiness?? no, no we dont. Well i myself like to be challenged by a game and not just stroll through it on normal in about 7 hours. If they can make RE4 usable and playable then they can surley make this the same!

do you think that changing the BOLDNESS of the word will help you? i can still clearly read "COMPLEX OPERABILITY" ...

nice try man...

Avatar image for clifftrapremove
clifftrapremove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clifftrapremove
Member since 2004 • 825 Posts
Meh the difficulty of RE4 is not what made it a great game. It was fantastic control, syle, level design and solid story with a healthy ammout of gore (not too much mind you but it still creeped the hell out of me.) It is not the worset thing that REU is easier then 4.
cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cruxe

All I'm saying is nintendo's wii-mote is the most advanced and innovative controller on the market. I'm a Nintendo and ps3 fan. But this game from what i can see could be made on any other console with better looking graphics, throw in a $30 light gun and you have the same (if not more) enjoyment on ANYTHING! you could even play this with an F ing mouse OR a thumbstick and it wouldn't be any less innovative. Its just a point and shoot game, a 10 year old could master it in 5 minutes... but if capcom intended this for a younger market then why is it a 15+ game? f this I'm going to get far cry vengeance! :P

Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
[QUOTE="cruxe"][QUOTE="takisse"][QUOTE="emgesp"]

takisse

do you think that changing the BOLDNESS of the word will help you? i can still clearly read "COMPLEX OPERABILITY" ...

nice try man... 

He felt you needed to take in those words more clearly, since you seem unable to

comprehend what is being said. 

here's a a few points taken from context,

"WII USERS LIKE EASINESS"

"To achieve this goal Kawata had to reduce the difficulty level." 

taken as whole, its a more ignorant generalisation of his target market.

Iorning_board

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Iorning_board
Member since 2005 • 1853 Posts
Man a week ago I loved Capcom for their Wii support, but this is just Weak... There better be some intense MP modes...
pattrojan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 pattrojan
Member since 2006 • 437 Posts
yeah i just read that off of ign so yeah i think they just killed off a good game... they say all that crud then they go and remake re4? saying that uc was too complicated if it was like re 4 on the wii but they go make re 4 on the wii?? eh watever kith_kat

It doesn't take as much effort to port a game to another system.  I think Capcom just got lazy.  It's a lot easier to make a rail shooter.  The ridiculous part is that Resident Evil fans have been playing difficult games for years, and who's most likely to play RE:UC?  People who have played the previous games!  Capcom just went the quick, easy, and cheep route.  Normally I wouldn't care so much, but now I'm concerned that they will never make a truly in-depth, thought provoking, game for the Wii.  I hope they wake up soon, and it might just take amazing sales for the Wii version of RE4 to do it. 
cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cruxe

Wow check out this other RE game apperently the controls are alot more advanced than this one and its NOT on rails. LINK

takisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 takisse
[QUOTE="takisse"][QUOTE="cruxe"][QUOTE="takisse"][QUOTE="emgesp"]

ChinoJamesKeene

nice try man...

He felt you needed to take in those words more clearly, since you seem unable to

comprehend what is being said.

taken as whole, its a more ignorant generalisation of his target market.

"WII USERS LIKE EASINESS" Easiness of what? easyness of OPERABILITY. He isn't talking of the gameplay...

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Haha, this board makes me laugh. 

Capcom has been dumbing down games for almost 20 years now.  Ever notice how every MegaMan game after the second had more techniques but rarely had tougher enemies (Protoman in V is a RARE exception)?  It's because Capcom saw to it that their audience got their yearly MegaMan.  Same thing with the X series, although I will admit that those games are still fast-paced and thrilling enough to warrant playtime. 

Now we see Capcom on the verge of yet another big series, and we end up COMPLAINING that they want to go usability over complexity?  I mean, this game will probably put Alone in the Dark to SHAME (including cheesy voice acting) and yet we sit here typing our hatred because it's going to be accessible?  Might I remind you how awesome the videos for this game are?  I mean, you see a zombie, you shoot it.  Then you have .5 seconds to shoot every other object in the room in hopes of obtaining ammo or new weapons.  Remember seeing that uzi?  An Uzi mowing down dogs sounds like tremendous fun, especially if the motion is 1:1. 

Face it, they HAVE everything in place to scrap the Wii project and sell this game as a stand-alone Arcade machine.  If you'd play this game there, then consider it a god-send that its debuting on a console.  I am.

cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cruxe
[QUOTE="ChinoJamesKeene"][QUOTE="takisse"][QUOTE="cruxe"][QUOTE="takisse"][QUOTE="emgesp"]

takisse

nice try man...

He felt you needed to take in those words more clearly, since you seem unable to

comprehend what is being said.

taken as whole, its a more ignorant generalisation of his target market.

"WII USERS LIKE EASINESS" Easiness of what? easyness of OPERABILITY. He isn't talking of the gameplay...

And were do i mention gameplay??? I say 7 hours to pass and that doesnt nessacerally mean gameplay. CONTROLS! wii has games with controls that are fun to master and explore new ideas with! this is an OLD idea i have seen plenty of times and i want something new and challenging... more DIFFICULT!!!! jeeeeeezzzzzuusssssss are you seriously telling me this will be something you have never experienced when it comes to controls That's why the Wii is such a great console because ever game has a level of feeling like its raw and new... I'm over arguing anyway because you obviously dont get my point even though i have said it 3 times now! IMO this game will feel like nothing New or master-able... if anything it should be a two level mini game unlocked through passing number 4 on the wii. IT WILL SUCK. think of all the past RE light gun games, This will be the same thing!

BViking78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BViking78
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
He's right... think about all the people whining about "Red Steel"'s controls...
I'm not saying it's perfect, but I bet that most of them haven't really tried to master it...
So IMO they'll try to avoid this and they've their resons...
takisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 takisse

He's right... think about all the people whining about "Red Steel"'s controls...
I'm not saying it's perfect, but I bet that most of them haven't really tried to master it...
So IMO they'll try to avoid this and they've their resons...BViking78

You got my point.

But better than saying AVOIDING, i think that they need MORE MORE TIME. Maybe a pair of years are needed before getting used to think an interface/control sstem suitable to the wii. So they prefer beeing almost not so much innovative, but at least to crate something functional.

Lot of games have issues (wii sports, red steel, cooking mama...), so they prefere to take the simple way and to have more time to develope a better control scheme (in the following years, of cource)

Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

People are getting way too upset about this, IMO. I think it's pretty obvious the guy didn't actually mean what he said. He says RE4-style controls would be too complex for Wii users, but yet...they're uh...releasing RE4 for the Wii. Obviously, it needed to be worded better. But my bet is that the Wii version of RE4 (and possibly other future RE games) are targeted more at the "hardcore gamers" who own Wiis, and UC to the newcomers who prefer simpler controls--which is definitely a significant portion of Wii owners.

If it's supposed to cover the storyline of the previous RE games, that just backs that up. It's a way to introduce new gamers to the RE world without overwhelming them the way a game like RE4 potentially could. You can say if they wanted to play games like RE they already would have been, but maybe an easier game could peak their interest without overwhelming them and lead to them gradually getting into more and more "hardcore" games. Baby steps, people. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

The whole "family-friendly" idea is BS, though. I know the Wii is supposed to be a family console, but come on. "Awwww, little Timmy just blew that guy's head off! Did you see that, grandma?!" ...Yeah, doesn't quite work. 

cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cruxe
Alright IMO Wii has a long way to come... alot of things can be improved controls and graphics are the big ones, and the console will pwn once it begins excelling in these areas... its a brand new console and i dont expect it to have perfect non glitchy games with awesome polished graphics. I just think they could have tried a little bit harder with this particular game. It just seems to fake and a bit too... safe for it to do big things for the wii. IMO they should ditch this and start devolping RE5! haha :P
BViking78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BViking78
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
You got my point.

But better than saying AVOIDING, i think that they need MORE MORE TIME. Maybe a pair of years are needed before getting used to think an interface/control sstem suitable to the wii. So they prefer beeing almost not so much innovative, but at least to crate something functional.

Lot of games have issues (wii sports, red steel, cooking mama...), so they prefere to take the simple way and to have more time to develope a better control scheme (in the following years, of cource)

takisse

Yeah I'm not blaming them...
After all games are a business so for now they prefer to make a more user friendly game, but if everyone follow them we might never see more complex and better controls...
As I said I took my time with "Red Steel, it's not like I was perfect from day one...
But it seems like the best feature in the Wii is also its worst feature... nintendo fans claim the Wiimote to be innovative and all but they stop at the first problem or thing to learn... and I don't really understand this...
Everyone's asking for a star warsy game, but I bet a lot will complain with it's control scheme too...
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
The core Wii audience is new gamers and total casuals, expect more of this.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
Well, thinking some Wii owners are stupid isn't that far off a statement. Doesn't anyone remember the whole wrist attachment ordeal and how some people were launching their wiimotes at TV, entertainment centers, family members, etc.....? So, yea, some Wii owners are stupid.
axes03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 axes03
Member since 2005 • 4454 Posts

wait its not? then why do we have C*** S***** friendcodes?

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

personally, i'm hoping something was lost in the japanese to english interview, like mabye by saying wii users like easiness, he meant wii users like controls to be user friendly, which would make more sense...what i'm hoping to see is that umbrella chronicals is really challenging and enjoyable, and that they also make yet another game with resident evil 4's style of gameplay, but built from the ground up on the Wii.

but then again, i've been hoping for years for a true chrono trigger sequal, and look at me now. 

Rhovanion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rhovanion
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hard? Difficult? That is why resident evil is challenging and nice to play. Anyways, because i'm a huge re fan I'll buy this game even though its an on rails shooter. What was capcom thinking of, obviously resident evil 4 game-play style is better, I really think they think that all wii owners are a bunch of stupid 10-years-old kids. But everything's is for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. They better give us a decent resident evil 5 soon or I'll stop buying the re series.
Korikag3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Korikag3
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

"At the intital stage of development, Umbrella Chronicle's play system was similar to Resident Evil 4's, "producer Kawata said in an interview. Wii users like easiness, and complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users. To achieve this goal Kawata had to reduce the difficulty level."

So, because some Wii owners are stupid, simple minded people, games that I may have enjoyed, will be hacked and slashed to cater to them. These are the same people who watch stupid family films, and wouldn't give a movie like Blade Runner a chance in hell. What an insult to my mind, and I thought Wii was going to be a more open minded console.

emgesp
Those Jacks can kiss my ass. Idiots. There gonna screw up on a great franchise.