So MadWorld fails in sales, and Wii owners fail alltogether :(

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Despacio-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Despacio-
Member since 2002 • 1881 Posts

So despite a stong push in marketing (many tv commercials) and courage from Sega to really explore the "hardcore" desires of Wii owners, they're met with dismal sales (if you believe in VG Chartz). MadWorld had 40,000 units sold Week 1, and a huge drop to 17,000 the second week? That's worse than No More Heroes combined its first two weeks, and No More Heroes had crap marketing, if any. On top of that House of the Dead: Overkill numbers are even worse. Will The Conduit follow the same trend? Most likely. Well, unless the legs of these games are amazingly strong (House of the Dead has already dropped to 6,000 in it's seventh week), it looks like the push to discover the "hardcore" gaming crowd in the sea of Wii owners will be less likely pursued by other publishers.

Let's add salt to the wound, Tenchu's numbers in japan are dismal and Deadly Creatures in the states has barely hit 23,000 copies sold after nearly two months.

I give up hoping, the Wii is a casual gamers machine through and through with the occasional Nintendo classic now and then (Punch-Out looks like a blast). It seems to me The Conduit really is the last hope in convincing third party makers to create Wii games that cater to the more hardcore/traditional gamer crowd. And maybe, just maybe MadWorld shows legs, no more 50%+ drops hopefully.

So although my thread title may be overly dramatic, it's just the way I feel about this situation right now.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

These are no more than early reports i want to see the NPD who does not split weeks.

Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

Segas happy with the sales thus far and it has hardly bombed since it's only been out two weeks.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

lol you guys also said world at war bombed after its first week and it already sold over a million.Big flop ,riiight.Please do some research on all wii titles and compare .Those games are actually doing quite nicely in comparison.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Why would I want this game?

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

wow i was actually checking after that post and i was gladly surprised.House of the dead still selling 20k a week worldwide?appears a lot like Umbrella chronicles, another million seller that capcom was happy to confirm and sequel .I think this whole post only made me feel quite confident on more hardcore titles, as long as theres some advertisement.I cant blame gamers, they do buy(and in millions)when they hear and like the game.Even when theres no heavy advertisement.I used to think NMH failed and then there was the sequel. So i dont rush after a week and say ooh flop! .If so Mario kart failed against GT4, yet it oversold it brutally afterwards.Wii market is as any other, but its more about steady rather than first week buy.

PainGivingLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PainGivingLink
Member since 2006 • 1316 Posts

Sega has announced that they are pleased with the sales of Madworld. I'm sure it has to do with the low-budget because it didn't require much of an engine really to produce heavy textures, and such. And, secondly it wasn't marketed very well...and I didn't see many advertisements so they didn't invest much in that aspect. 70,000 sales isn't two weeks isn't too bad, just wait until the summer and next holiday season (Christmas and such) and I'm sure that it'll reach 200k sales, and I'm sure that breaks even. If you multiply 200,000 times lets say maybe 50$ that is $10,000,000 (10 million dollars) I actually think in Madworld's lifetime it'll reach 300k sales but thats just me.

krayziecupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 krayziecupid
Member since 2003 • 448 Posts

Not bad for a Debut Game, MadWorld is like a Newbie in the industry, people should not expect Too Much from it. MadWorld is not just the only great game on the Wii and it should not be the basis of the Wii's possible downfall.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I'm one of those happy owners. :)

PainGivingLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PainGivingLink

Sega has announced that they are pleased with the sales of Madworld. I'm sure it has to do with the low-budget because it didn't require much of an engine really to produce heavy textures, and such. And, secondly it wasn't marketed very well...and I didn't see many advertisements so they didn't invest much in that aspect. 70,000 sales isn't two weeks isn't too bad, just wait until the summer and next holiday season (Christmas and such) and I'm sure that it'll reach 200k sales, and I'm sure that breaks even. If you multiply 200,000 times lets say maybe 50$ that is $10,000,000 (10 million dollars) I actually think in Madworld's lifetime it'll reach 300k sales but thats just me.

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

I don't think letting numbers get to you on a site that spells its name with a z is the best way to go. People get caught up in the big numbers that games like Mario and Halo get without thinking of the media blitz and name recognition that goes along with those titles. Development costs are a monkey wrench in this formula as well. MadWorld is a much smaller scale game, many people are fine with that and 40k in its first week is nothing to scoff at for a smaller game.

Some people just need to relax.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
lol, Vgchartz.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Let's spaz out about the sales of a few 3rd party games on the Wii and interpret it to mean the imminent death of the console!

Yeah...

Nintendo invites a lot of 3rd party publishers to the table. Sometimes they do well and sometimes they don't. It's the same way on the other consoles as well.

Just because a widely hyped game comes out and does poorly doesn't mean the end of that system. Many factors play into what goes on to make that game successful from a sales perspective or not. If the initial game didn't take years and years to make and they made it with a modest budget, getting X amount of titles sold isn't so bad.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Look at boom blox, house of the dead 2&3, Cod Wow, RE:UC, and no more heroes.

All had poor sales day one, but over time grew to sell almost a mill or more each. (except for no more heroe's hlaf mill)

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well, this is what happens when well this hard core argument dawned, they dont care for anything game related if it isnt on a non-nintendo platform ,, ,

thats because- graphics have to be there, or else - they cant watch it rotflol, watch it,, hahahaah , ,i lovei t, they watch it not play it people lol

PainGivingLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PainGivingLink

Bottom lines is, it matters about the budget of the games. Just because a hyped game didn't sell 5 million units doesn't mean it failed. Obviously Madworld didn't require a high-budget, and Sega being okay with the fact that it only sold 70,000 copies reflects that.

PainGivingLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PainGivingLink

Bottom line is, it matters about the budget of the game. Just because a hyped game didn't sell 5 million units doesn't mean it failed. Obviously Madworld didn't require a high budget, and Sega being okay with the fact that it only sold 70,000 copies reflects that.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

Segas happy with the sales thus far and it has hardly bombed since it's only been out two weeks.

Ganados0
Agreed, 40,000 in the first week for a game like MadWorld is pretty good and as it has only been out for 2 weeks I think we should give it a chance.
gnobber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gnobber
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Bottom line is, it matters about the budget of the game. Just because a hyped game didn't sell 5 million units doesn't mean it failed. Obviously Madworld didn't require a high budget, and Sega being okay with the fact that it only sold 70,000 copies reflects that.

PainGivingLink
But if it continues at that, it'll mean that Sega is satisfied (in terms of return in investment) but gamers apparently are not, that's why the poor numbers. But it's still early though. And also, not implying I agree with -Despacio-
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
This makes me wonder who are the million of people who bought games like Zelda, Mario and Super Smash Bros... Why the hell don't they buy anything else?
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

So despite a stong push in marketing (many tv commercials) and courage from Sega to really explore the "hardcore" desires of Wii owners...

-Despacio-

I think you're a bit silly. If you admit that it was "courageous" you have to admit that there was every chance of "failure". So what's your surprise? Also, what number of sales would satisfy you to retract your comment that this game "failed"?

EDIT: Besides, you can have all the marketing in world, but when the "hardcore" gamers come to forums like these, only to read terrible misinformation and anti-propaganda from the likes of Jasonguy (Madworld is a minigame collection etc..) and posts like this, I wonder how companies like Sega even bother to advertise to the already converted and pessemistic gamers... Most games end up selling on their own merit - so I think this sort of anxiety really is unfounded.

krayziecupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 krayziecupid
Member since 2003 • 448 Posts

Just a simple math

$50 x 70000 = $3,500,000

$_$ catching catching!!!(Sega's Eyes

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Wait until actual sales numbers are released. Those VGChartz numbers are pure guesses.
cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

The Nintendo Wii is crumbling now. Its getting old for up-to-date gamers and not many people still play on it.

The DS is getting more atttention now. If Nintendo want to get everyone back on the Wii then they need to

make some decent hardware accesories for the console.

ghog69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 ghog69
Member since 2004 • 117 Posts

This game, while different still needs to overcome the fact that it is a relatively short and excessively violent game.

First off, at $50 many gamers just won't spend the money on a 6-10 hour experience, so they wait for the price to come down.

Second, many have looked at the game as being violent just for the sake of being violent. While that will certainly appeal to some, many like myself just won't see the appeal. While I may still pick it up at a later date (and lower cost), I wasn't going to run right out day one considering how many games have come out in March that interest me more.

Don't worry, Madworld is a critical success and in the end, I expect it to be a commecial one as well. Sega will decide what that number will be.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

The games mentioned will have legs. 3rd party Wii game support will improve imo.

Hynaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hynaboy
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

The Wii isnt crumbling at all! I haverecently bought Madworld, House of the Dead and Deadly Creatures (best of the three)and they were all great games. I buy them in the hope that they sell well to encourage more risks of big new franchise games by third parties. I do have to admit that I was disappointed with the way Zack and Wiki sold because I really enjoyed that one a lot as well and hoped it would be a new franchise!

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Using VGchartz and judging sales success after 2 weks = fail. Give it some time, sheesh.

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 Grinning_Demon
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
Another thread where TC posts VGchartz numbers and takes off *yawn*
MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

Call of Duty World at War for Wii, first week : not even 100k worldwide. Now : Over 1 million.

Madworld will probably reach the same sales as No More Heroes, or something like a half million, which is very good for such a niche game.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
Once this game gets a price drops, it should start selling a bit more.
Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts

dont worry about it madworld is a great game and if people have good taste in games at all they will buy it

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
While this is far from good news, Madworld and HOTD are not exactly the types of games I want to see on Wii anyways. Meanwhile, Tenchu and Deadly Creatures where both very little known. I suspect that the coming masterpieces like LKS and The Conduit will succeed where those games failed.
r_gam3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 r_gam3
Member since 2008 • 1185 Posts
VG charts = 8 flimsy analysts making up crap. NPD: 120+ telephone market researchers, 100+ other staff, all calls recorded, making up results equals instant dismissal from work. GFK (chart track): as above but for UK. Who you gonna believe?
r_gam3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 r_gam3
Member since 2008 • 1185 Posts

PainGivingLink
and for the love of gaming, stop saying 70K. There are no sales figures for this game. No official ones at least.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I, and I guess many others, will be buying when it's cheaper. Not paying full price for a 5 hour game!
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Wii sales seem to be slow but steady compared to the other consoles where the bulk of the games are sold at launch. I'm sure MW will sell over a million with in a years time.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

I'm not too worried about MadWorld or HOTD. Its a trend in Wii games to have decent 1st week sales but sell well over time. Boom Blocks, De Blob, No More Heroes, House of the Dead Overkill, and several others went through it.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I, and I guess many others, will be buying when it's cheaper. Not paying full price for a 5 hour game!locopatho
Full price? It's 40 Euro here from the start, in contrast to the usual 70 Euro for new games.
gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts

VGCharts is very unreliable. I believe that MadWorld is still selling well. I like to look on Amazon top 100 wii games to help determine the staying power of a game, and MadWorld is holding its own. Deadly Creatures quickly fell off the top 100 Wii game charts, while MadWorld is hovering around the 20 - 25 mark and it has been out for a few weeks now. I think the game doing well, based on this data and seeing a local Target sold out of their copies the first week it was released.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
Why people consider Madworld to be the end all be all "savior" of third party/hardcore gaming for the Wii is beyond me. It's a niche game at best. Did you really expect it to sell millions? The Conduit won't be a mega seller, either. FPS fans own a PC or 360, so the Conduit will be nothing special to them.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]I, and I guess many others, will be buying when it's cheaper. Not paying full price for a 5 hour game!nethernova
Full price? It's 40 Euro here from the start, in contrast to the usual 70 Euro for new games.

All new games are down to 40 euro now though. Street Fighter 4 and Killzone 2 were both 40 on release day.
ZookGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 ZookGuy
Member since 2008 • 2340 Posts

Wait aren't we in a recession?

Nintend0-BuDDy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Nintend0-BuDDy
Member since 2008 • 639 Posts

I don't buy games just because they're selling good, I buy them because I'm interested in them. I'm not intrested in Mad World and I'm a big Nintendo Support. If someone asks me, "What's a good new game I should get for Wii?" I wouldn't tell them Mad World or House of the Dead Overkill. I would say Pikmin NPC or Punch-out!! because they are games that intrest me, and others more than Mad World.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
Sorry for not buying a game I don't think deserves my money or time... Let me go slaughter an animal to atone for this.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#47 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
hmmm...a game for specifically the hardcore audience fails to sell on the Nintendo Wii? However did we not see this coming? :roll: The same will happen with The Conduit: great game, poor sales.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Well for one it is March-April. No one buys games now. Come summer the sales will go up. And don't use Tenchu and Deadly creatures as examples, those games never had a chance.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
[QUOTE="cooldude1888"]

The Nintendo Wii is crumbling now. Its getting old for up-to-date gamers and not many people still play on it.

The DS is getting more atttention now. If Nintendo want to get everyone back on the Wii then they need to

make some decent hardware accesories for the console.

So you went to everyones houses to check if they are still playing the Wii, also how does selling more hardware benefit the Wii? Software sells consoles not a million and one periphials. The classic controller, WM+ and Wii Speak is enough. The Wii has alot of solid titles that people just simply don't buy because they shop by brand name. Madworld is a new franchise and it has Sega's name on the box which isn't exactly beneficial these days, as many are down on ol' Sega. However also take into account this isn't the PS3/360 where games sell 7 billion copies in the first hour and then sale 1% of that from that point on. Wii games have legs and sales increase with word of mouth for the most part. They incur a large number of sales over a longer period of time, you have to give some games at least 6 months. However there are some games that should sell better than they did, especially since they encompass what so many people whine about.
black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts
i just bought it yesterday and its great, i show my support, let hope the rest of the wii owners do to