should the "DS 2" be motion-sensing as well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts

i was thinking if they could use what is in the wii mote for the DS, or maybe just something like the six-axis, it could be interesting.

but then again, im not sure how much i would want it....

discuss

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts
That would be crazy.ca
kirbyfanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 kirbyfanatic
Member since 2007 • 2685 Posts
i dont think that would be cool. besides, there probably wont be a ds2, due to the fact that it already sells like hotcakes
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts

i dont think that would be cool. besides, there probably wont be a ds2, due to the fact that it already sells like hotcakeskirbyfanatic

well of course there will be, not soon, but there will be one. better graphics is a given, so i was thinking if theyd add motion-sensing. it wouldnt have to be a necessity, but something that can be used, like the DS' microphone

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0ed0a795b02
deactivated-5c0ed0a795b02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-5c0ed0a795b02
Member since 2006 • 3389 Posts
They want to inovate, creating another ds would be a step backward
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

What does.... 

...and...,

....have in common?

They all have motion-sensing tech, the exact same tech in the Wii-mote, which is Blue-tooth.

So you're idea is nothing new and it's been done before in the past.

But having it inside the DS as part of the machine might open up new gameplay elements, however, I don't think it will be that versatile other than controlling a plane like the Arwing in Starfox or tilt games like the ones I posted above.

It might be cool....but the touch screen on the DS works just perfectly and with the DS still dominating in Japan and worldwide, selling over a quarter million every week in Japan, I don't think Nintendo is going to come out with the DS2 anytime soon.

AndyKaotik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AndyKaotik
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I do not believe that the successor to the DS should focus on motion-sensing. With the Wii and PS3, motion-controls work because the actual sensors (the controllers) are moved about freely while the television display is always at a fixed, stationary position. Having to constantly turn and shake the unit while still maintaining a good look at the screen on the portable unit would be a bit frustrating in most cases. Portable games that have used motion on the GBA (like the Yoshi game and Warioware) have only used a simple rotation motion.

Can you imagine playing a future-Zelda game on this DS2 that requires a shake of the unit for each time you want to swipe the sword? Or, play a Wii-Sports type game? It simply wouldn't work.

What would make more sense for the next incarnation of DS (whenever that may be, it's years away) would be to keep all of it's current feature set, plus include an analog stick (something that could retract into the unit with a push when it's closed and not-in-use, but would pop out at a push of a button), and the obvious bump-up in graphics. 

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

I do not believe that the successor to the DS should focus on motion-sensing. With the Wii and PS3, motion-controls work because the actual sensors (the controllers) are moved about freely while the television display is always at a fixed, stationary position. Having to constantly turn and shake the unit while still maintaining a good look at the screen on the portable unit would be a bit frustrating in most cases. Portable games that have used motion on the GBA (like the Yoshi game and Warioware) have only used a simple rotation motion.

Can you imagine playing a future-Zelda game on this DS2 that requires a shake of the unit for each time you want to swipe the sword? Or, play a Wii-Sports type game? It simply wouldn't work.

What would make more sense for the next incarnation of DS (whenever that may be, it's years away) would be to keep all of it's current feature set, plus include an analog stick (something that could retract into the unit with a push when it's closed and not-in-use, but would pop out at a push of a button), and the obvious bump-up in graphics.

AndyKaotik
thats true. But i was thinking if they used the stylist instead of the actual machine it'self. SO it can be touch and Motion screen.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
I think it's pretty much enivable isn't it?
Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

Actually, I do not think it will have motion sensing. Nintendo wanted the DS and Wii to be different from eachother as much as possible, so that people will not think the DS is just a mere portable Wii (in the same way a PSP is similar to a portable PS2).

The Wii and DS are very far apart in terms of how you play the game, so thats what makes them both great. They are unique. Plus, imagine how strange it will feel to use motion sensing and a touch screen at the same time...

StarFoxEXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 StarFoxEXR
Member since 2007 • 689 Posts
just leave it like it is
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
OMG there making another all ready. I was just about to buy th DS Lite, now im not so sure. I dont want to have to buy another in less than a year. :(
Mr_MiniMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mr_MiniMe
Member since 2007 • 66 Posts

OMG there making another all ready. I was just about to buy th DS Lite, now im not so sure. I dont want to have to buy another in less than a year. :(
black_awpN1

they're not making it - yet - but they propably will in a couple years..  

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]OMG there making another all ready. I was just about to buy th DS Lite, now im not so sure. I dont want to have to buy another in less than a year. :(
Mr_MiniMe

Pre-dev is no doubt already underway though, but that's perfectly normal. As long as the DS is on fire Nintendo have no reason to release a new machine. 

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_MiniMe"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]OMG there making another all ready. I was just about to buy th DS Lite, now im not so sure. I dont want to have to buy another in less than a year. :(
Articuno76

Pre-dev is no doubt already underway though, but that's perfectly normal. As long as the DS is on fire Nintendo have no reason to release a new machine.

theninty next hanheld will have cube like gfx. wii is very small add a power suply and a screens wayla
STABW0UND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 STABW0UND
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
i wouldnt say its going to have gamecube graphics, maybe psp =\
nathansarro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 nathansarro
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts
that'd be pretty cool. kinda like wario ware for the gba.
plagueseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 plagueseason
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

I don't think motion sensing on a handheld is a good idea, especially when portability means you want to be able to play it anywhere. If riding in a bumpy car or bus means it will mess up how well you play the game, it's not a good idea. I already have a hard time playing a game like Trauma Center in a car, although it is still playable. I think graphics will be a big focus and I think a powerful device could be made with something even smaller than the psp. Something that has slightly bigger screens than the DS, but still uses SD card-sized media could make for an ultra-portable, great looking gaming machine.

Think about it, SD cards can be had in 1GB or 2GB sizes, and the prices are quickly coming down with the release of bigger storage media. By the time Nintendo releases their next handheld, smaller SD card sizes like 1GB and 2GB should be very affordable and games could still be sold at a $34.99 price point. Gamecube discs held 1.5GB, and therefor Gamecube sized games could fit on a 2GB SD card easily and load times would be insanely quick, and battery life would be much better than PSP because of the lack of any "moving" devices inside. Besides motion sensing being a big part of the Wii, Nintendo's other big focus was making a very powerful machine that could fit in such a small, power efficient enclosure, and I have no doubt that their next portable will have a similar focus.

burfeindt21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 burfeindt21
Member since 2006 • 1720 Posts
I think its wayy too early to be discussing the DS 2, or whatever the next iteration of the GameBoy would be, but either way I dont think they're going to make it motion sensing but maybe something new and fun we havent thought of yet. or they can bring a old concept back and freshen it up
GFXBayleef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GFXBayleef
Member since 2005 • 4290 Posts

What does....

...and...,

....have in common?

They all have motion-sensing tech, the exact same tech in the Wii-mote, which is Blue-tooth.

So you're idea is nothing new and it's been done before in the past.

But having it inside the DS as part of the machine might open up new gameplay elements, however, I don't think it will be that versatile other than controlling a plane like the Arwing in Starfox or tilt games like the ones I posted above.

It might be cool....but the touch screen on the DS works just perfectly and with the DS still dominating in Japan and worldwide, selling over a quarter million every week in Japan, I don't think Nintendo is going to come out with the DS2 anytime soon.

ASK_Story
That's not the technology in the Wiimote, but rather the Six-Axis.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
I'm planning to use DS on really long flights... If I stood up and started dancin' around I'm about to be rundown by host(esse)s yelling at me telling me "to fasten your seatbelt, sir".
dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

I think its wayy too early to be discussing the DS 2, or whatever the next iteration of the GameBoy would be, but either way I dont think they're going to make it motion sensing but maybe something new and fun we havent thought of yet. or they can bring a old concept back and freshen it upburfeindt21

Yeah, I also think it's kinda pointless to discuss the new gameboy. The first year of the DS wasn't that good (I'm talking about the games), but now more and more interesting titles are coming (we saw a similar story for the GBA) and it's indeed selling like hell. They should keep it for at least 2-3 years, and just concentrate on the games. In the meantime they can develop an awesome new handheld system which wouldn't then just be a PSP/DS+, but please let us enjoy the DS for another couple of years.

I don't mind new versions of the DS though (better battery, improved touchscreen etc.) just like they did with the GBA as long as the games can be played on all systems. With regard to motion sensing, I would rather have something else.. we can enjoy motion sensing on the Wii or with games like Wario Ware Twisted for the GBA. Speaking of the Wii; they should enable DS demos to be downloaded from the Wii!

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
IDK, maybe but scrawling on the screen and moving the handheld at the same time must be hard?
Drkr_Zen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Drkr_Zen
Member since 2004 • 7330 Posts

Not to mention, if motion-sensing were implemented on a handheld gaming system.. we'd get more idiots like the ones that threw their Wiimotes, broke stuff and injured others.. then tried to sue Nintendo for their losses [due to their stupidity].

I don't know, though.. the touchscreen was quite the innovation, so even if the "DS2" pulled a Game Boy Advance, I'd be happy with it; that is.. keep all the features of the prior handheld, but just get better graphics and, possibly, a snazzier look.