Should the 3DS have achievements/trophies?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Suicide-Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 Suicide-Panda
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

Discuss.

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Of course it should. I would spend forever trying to get all the achievements for The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3ds. It would make the best game of all time that much better to go along with it's new and improved graphics, plus it is in 3d!
Immortal--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Immortal--
Member since 2010 • 1415 Posts
Yes. Its an added feature so if you don't like then it shouldn't bother you.
MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

Yeah it would add replay value to games.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

It's not needed, if someone wants to add replay value do actual challenge gaming.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Duh, it totally should. I believe there will be some kind of achievments on the 3DS.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#7 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Only if there was no unified gamerscore.

If every game had some sort of achievements, fin, but nothing like the gamerscore or trophy levels.

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 GAMERKID707
Member since 2009 • 461 Posts

yup just like ps3 where you get a trophy level,there should be a friends list 2,just like xbox or ps3,that be cool to compair my trophies to friend or send them messages or see if there online

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

No. Play the game if you want to play the game, not to get acheivements telling you how awesome you are for doing something that's really average.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

No. Play games because they're fun, not because you need to improve your gamer score. (...or whatever.)

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GAMERKID707

No. Play the game if you want to play the game, not to get acheivements telling you how awesome you are for doing something that's really average.

trugs26

theres no point of playing game if theres nothing to get,like online if it donty count my stats i dont play it,but if it has tropies,or achivments,then it gets people to play more

kittygus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kittygus
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

Yes. It would be Soooooo awesome if there were trophies for dsiware like camera trophies. ex: take five pictures.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

It would be cool if they had it. I would be ok if it was unified but not out in the open like Gamerscore and Trophies.

I also would like if they included developer commentary that is my favorite part of movies and I figured Valve shouldn't be the only company including them in their games.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Nope, achievements and trophies have been a terrible idea. "Shoot 500 arrows in OoT" yeah that really adds replay value. And online achievements are a bane on online play, people are more concerned about achievements then playing the game. I thought the carrot on the stick when playing games was suppose to be enjoyment, not some worthless score. I would rather Nintendo stay away from that.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Oh god no. And if it does, I really hope those stupid pop-up messages can be disabled.

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
they won't have it most likely. and I don't really need it..
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
as long as i can turn off the message that tells me i have earned one...sure. personally i dont care about them and only get annoyed when a message pops up sayin "achievement unlocked: moved mouse to the left. 100g" or something like that. theres nothing as immersion shattering as a pop up like that. but yeah..have that option and have the feature. just have that option ninty or ill....well...ill be not nice :P.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

as long as i can turn off the message that tells me i have earned one...sure. personally i dont care about them and only get annoyed when a message pops up sayin "achievement unlocked: moved mouse to the left. 100g" or something like that. theres nothing as immersion shattering as a pop up like that. but yeah..have that option and have the feature. just have that option ninty or ill....well...ill be not nice :P.osan0
You could turn them off on the 360 aswell you just had to adjust your profile settings.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

[QUOTE="osan0"]as long as i can turn off the message that tells me i have earned one...sure. personally i dont care about them and only get annoyed when a message pops up sayin "achievement unlocked: moved mouse to the left. 100g" or something like that. theres nothing as immersion shattering as a pop up like that. but yeah..have that option and have the feature. just have that option ninty or ill....well...ill be not nice :P.Nintendo_Ownes7

You could turn them off on the 360 aswell you just had to adjust your profile settings.

what? i know i can do that on windows live games but i could never see the option on my 360. i must check again. i dont suppose theres a way to turn off trophies announements on the PS3 also?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BuryMe

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

GAMERKID707

theres no point of playing game if theres nothing to get,like online if it donty count my stats i dont play it,but if it has tropies,or achivments,then it gets people to play more

Yes there is: To have fun.

Isn't that what the point of playing games has always been?

satx53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 satx53
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Its an added incentive to squeeze more life out of a Game. In other words, please.
HungryLuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 HungryLuma
Member since 2009 • 1131 Posts

Yes, it'll make games a little more fun. :P

xXDante666Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xXDante666Xx
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts

It's not needed, if someone wants to add replay value do actual challenge gaming.

Yangire

While I did this as a kid and can agree it is still fun to have somebody else give you the challenges and have proof to show off to others.

So with that I say the 3DS should have a sort of trophy/achievement set up. It is a free little feature that has made me play games a little longer, gives you something to strive for, and if you don't want to participate just simply ignore it. I'm not saying they should shove the A/T down our throats, but it would add an interesting twist to games across the board.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I'm not familiar with the achievement/trophies system on the PS3/360, but I really like what they did in Metroid Prime Trilogy. Giving you those color credits for bonuses and extras. I actually spent time replaying and scanning stuff just to get the SnapShot feature. It was totally worth it and I used to send about 30+ gameplay pics daily to friends. :lol:

My Wii actually needed to erase ALL previous messages and pictures to make room for the new ones. :P

Graboola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Graboola
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

I vote for... yes!

It would give me a little more incentive to take on challenges I wouldn't normally bother with.

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MUSH_IS_PWNs
I t would be cool if you were rewarded for getting these achievements but if they are like on 360 and ps3 that is fine too. I don't get what is with other people saying that they don't want achievements to be in games because it is not like it is bothering them. You have to be a real jerk to not want something in a game for no reason other than they don't want other people to be able to enjoy obtaining these achievements. They do absolutely no harm so why the hell wouldn't you put them in games??They are doing absolutely no harm and make people enjoy games more so of course the 3ds should have achievements.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
I t would be cool if you were rewarded for getting these achievements but if they are like on 360 and ps3 that is fine too. I don't get what is with other people saying that they don't want achievements to be in games because it is not like it is bothering them. You have to be a real jerk to not want something in a game for no reason other than they don't want other people to be able to enjoy obtaining these achievements. They do absolutely no harm so why the **** wouldn't you put them in games??They are doing absolutely no harm and make people enjoy games more so of course the 3ds should have achievements.MUSH_IS_PWNs

I don't like achievements because almost every game I've played with them just hands these out for completely frivolous reasons. Like at the end of every level (so now just the completion isn't satisfying enough?!) or even a tutorial. Sometimes it seems flat out insulting. And I suspect it's because many developers feel they must put them in their games now, rather than it being something they actually want to implement.

I also don't like random messages popping up when trying to be immersed in the game. It's especially distracting in cutscenes or otherwise when there is no other HUD information. (like in Mirror's Edge)

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GAMERKID707

[QUOTE="MUSH_IS_PWNs"]I t would be cool if you were rewarded for getting these achievements but if they are like on 360 and ps3 that is fine too. I don't get what is with other people saying that they don't want achievements to be in games because it is not like it is bothering them. You have to be a real jerk to not want something in a game for no reason other than they don't want other people to be able to enjoy obtaining these achievements. They do absolutely no harm so why the **** wouldn't you put them in games??They are doing absolutely no harm and make people enjoy games more so of course the 3ds should have achievements.ThePlothole

I don't like achievements because almost every game I've played with them just hands these out for completely frivolous reasons. Like at the end of every level (so now just the completion isn't satisfying enough?!) or even a tutorial. Sometimes it seems flat out insulting. And I suspect it's because many developers feel they must put them in their games now, rather than it being something they actually want to implement.

I also don't like random messages popping up when trying to be immersed in the game. It's especially distracting in cutscenes or otherwise when there is no other HUD information. (like in Mirror's Edge)

only some games have easy tropyies like that on final fantasy 13 you get a trophy after beating every chapter,so the first 2 trohies were easy then it startred taking a while to beat chapters,but if they didnt have a level system or xbox score or watever ( not a xbox fan ) then theirs no point

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

So no trophies unless it's not distracting, implemented in a good way, provides extra after-game challenge, and offers more rewards.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

Yes it should, but nintendo will never adopt achievements/trophies. If they did they'd probably call them "nintenstars" or something and the only way to see them would be to enter a 12 digit code that comes with the achievement and enter on club nintendo and then fill out a survey but you couldn't ever see anyone elses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

[QUOTE="MUSH_IS_PWNs"]I t would be cool if you were rewarded for getting these achievements but if they are like on 360 and ps3 that is fine too. I don't get what is with other people saying that they don't want achievements to be in games because it is not like it is bothering them. You have to be a real jerk to not want something in a game for no reason other than they don't want other people to be able to enjoy obtaining these achievements. They do absolutely no harm so why the **** wouldn't you put them in games??They are doing absolutely no harm and make people enjoy games more so of course the 3ds should have achievements.ThePlothole

You can turn off the achievement notifications if it bothers you that much and I like achievements for beating each level kinda thing because then you can see how far your friends and other people are.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BuryMe

I t would be cool if you were rewarded for getting these achievements but if they are like on 360 and ps3 that is fine too. I don't get what is with other people saying that they don't want achievements to be in games because it is not like it is bothering them. You have to be a real jerk to not want something in a game for no reason other than they don't want other people to be able to enjoy obtaining these achievements. They do absolutely no harm so why the hell wouldn't you put them in games??They are doing absolutely no harm and make people enjoy games more so of course the 3ds should have achievements.MUSH_IS_PWNs
Actually, they are bothering me.

Gaming is changing in a very disturbing way. Instead of playing games to have a good time, it's becoming an endless hunt for achievements. Crappy games can sell well if they just give out an extra 1000g. And most discussion on the 360 and PS3 boards has drifted away from games on almost entirely on to achievements/trophies.

So yeah, they are othering me.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
I would like for there to be some sort of achievement systems for the 3DS.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
It would be nice, bur first Nintendo is going to have to fix its online structure for it to work properly.
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

No universal achievement system, devs can add achievements in-game if they want.

bub166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bub166
Member since 2006 • 2607 Posts

Yes. Achievements are great. Not when people brag about their huge score, but it is just awesome when you get that hard-earned achievement, for example, for getting every single star in a Mario game. Sure, you could argue that it doesn't add replay value because you could do all of that just for fun, bur their really is no incentive. Why explore every location in a game that just really does not reward you a whole lot for exploring? Because if you do, you'll see the message pop up, telling you just what you did and how much score you earned for doing the challenge.

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
it definitly should, acheivments are one of my fav. thigns about the 360 i love trying to get all the achievments , it adds so much more to the game, then just accomplishing nothing
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#38 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Of course it should. I would spend forever trying to get all the achievements for The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3ds. It would make the best game of all time that much better to go along with it's new and improved graphics, plus it is in 3d!MUSH_IS_PWNs
that gets me thinking... If they don't I'm making my own achievement list for that game!! :D
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="MUSH_IS_PWNs"]I t would be cool if you were rewarded for getting these achievements but if they are like on 360 and ps3 that is fine too. I don't get what is with other people saying that they don't want achievements to be in games because it is not like it is bothering them. You have to be a real jerk to not want something in a game for no reason other than they don't want other people to be able to enjoy obtaining these achievements. They do absolutely no harm so why the hell wouldn't you put them in games??They are doing absolutely no harm and make people enjoy games more so of course the 3ds should have achievements.BuryMe

Gaming is changing in a very disturbing way. Instead of playing games to have a good time, it's becoming an endless hunt for achievements. Crappy games can sell well if they just give out an extra 1000g. And most discussion on the 360 and PS3 boards has drifted away from games on almost entirely on to achievements/trophies.

I guess you weren't gaming in the arcade high-days, when everyone was playing to get a high-score or beating the crap out of each other.

Achievements and Trophies are basically the same thing.

Gamers have always competed with each other in different ways. A/T only makes it easier for us to do it. No one if forcing you to play the bad games and no one who wants to prove that he/she is good at games does either.

-

But hey, I guess those people are playing games for the wrong reasons :|

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

It would be nice to have it with the 3DS and Wii/next gen console, and then to have the gamer scores connected together :D

Nintendo seems to hate the idea though.

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MUSH_IS_PWNs

[QUOTE="MUSH_IS_PWNs"]I t would be cool if you were rewarded for getting these achievements but if they are like on 360 and ps3 that is fine too. I don't get what is with other people saying that they don't want achievements to be in games because it is not like it is bothering them. You have to be a real jerk to not want something in a game for no reason other than they don't want other people to be able to enjoy obtaining these achievements. They do absolutely no harm so why the hell wouldn't you put them in games??They are doing absolutely no harm and make people enjoy games more so of course the 3ds should have achievements.BuryMe

You don't have to make it an endless hunt for achievements if you don't want to...

So if someone enjoys achievements you don't want them to get that enjoyment because you don't want them to play games that way?? It makes absolutely no sense. Nothing is stopping you from not going after achievements and for anyone else who says that they are distracting can easily turn them off. Also having achievments posts on forums as a reason to not have achievements is ridiculous.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#42 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It absolutely should. Not for online stuff, of course - that's the only area where achievements are truly ruining gaming (the rest is easy to ignore if you're anal retentive). Online boosting is just silly. But for singleplayer stuff achievements are a fantastic addition. Hell, even the iPhone is going to implement them in OS this fall, and the 3DS has a similar chance to introduce and integrate them well, considering its always-on wi-fi (skeptical as I am about the sound of that) and possible friend-codeless friend lists.
Tonyippee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tonyippee
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

As long as they focus on gameplay i think they would be a cool add-on

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

I guess you weren't gaming in the arcade high-days, when everyone was playing to get a high-score or beating the crap out of each other.

Gamers have always competed with each other in different ways. A/T only makes it easier for us to do it. No one if forcing you to play the bad games and no one who wants to prove that he/she is good at games does either.

-

JLF1

No, their not. Getting the high score in SFII because you were owning people for 2hrs straight is a whole lot different from "get 10 kills with each weapon" "win 5 matches online that you just do with your friend" "play crappy games like Hannah Montana or Terminator because its an easy 1000" That doesn't seem very similar to me. 99% of achievements have nothing to do with skill as opposed to getting a high score in the arcade. Its simply a means to add an artificial extension to a game to combat gamers these days short attention spans and the fact that a lot of games simply don't have the content to hold people's attention.

Back in the days, people use to really put the works to games, they wanted to find every little nook and cranny. Before the days of the interwebz giving you every answer to a game 2mos before it comes out. People had to spend extra time finding those DK coins, hidden exits, learning the ins and outs of MK. People don't do that anymore because everything is a mouse click away and because so many rely on the "winning formula" games are starting to overlap so much, its not worth exploring them like that. I would hate to see Nintendo just add to that, I would much rather them continue to find reasons for you to keep playing their games instead of using the achievement scapegoat.

that gets me thinking... If they don't I'm making my own achievement list for that game!! :Dbbkkristian
It really wouldn't have any less value than the ones developers give you.

Donny972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Donny972
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

Yes, definetly! Achievments make games way more fun and addicting, plus they give you a sense of accomplishment.

Graboola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Graboola

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

-

Sepewrath

No, their not. Getting the high score in SFII because you were owning people for 2hrs straight is a whole lot different from "get 10 kills with each weapon" "win 5 matches online that you just do with your friend" "play crappy games like Hannah Montana or Terminator because its an easy 1000" That doesn't seem very similar to me. 99% of achievements have nothing to do with skill as opposed to getting a high score in the arcade. Its simply a means to add an artificial extension to a game to combat gamers these days short attention spans and the fact that a lot of games simply don't have the content to hold people's attention.

Back in the days, people use to really put the works to games, they wanted to find every little nook and cranny. Before the days of the interwebz giving you every answer to a game 2mos before it comes out. People had to spend extra time finding those DK coins, hidden exits, learning the ins and outs of MK. People don't do that anymore because everything is a mouse click away and because so many rely on the "winning formula" games are starting to overlap so much, its not worth exploring them like that. I would hate to see Nintendo just add to that, I would much rather them continue to find reasons for you to keep playing their games instead of using the achievement scapegoat.

that gets me thinking... If they don't I'm making my own achievement list for that game!! :Dbbkkristian

I do see them as a form of competition myself, but I agree with you that it's less about skill and know-how, and more about who has the most free-time and motivation. Overall, I find that they motivate me to fully explore the entirety of my games - which makes my games last that much longer, and surely that can't be a bad thing.

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GAMERKID707

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]

[QUOTE="JLF1"] No, their not. Getting the high score in SFII because you were owning people for 2hrs straight is a whole lot different from "get 10 kills with each weapon" "win 5 matches online that you just do with your friend" "play crappy games like Hannah Montana or Terminator because its an easy 1000" That doesn't seem very similar to me. 99% of achievements have nothing to do with skill as opposed to getting a high score in the arcade. Its simply a means to add an artificial extension to a game to combat gamers these days short attention spans and the fact that a lot of games simply don't have the content to hold people's attention.

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]that gets me thinking... If they don't I'm making my own achievement list for that game!! :DGraboola

I do see them as a form of competition myself, but I agree with you that it's less about skill and know-how, and more about who has the most free-time and motivation. Overall, I find that they motivate me to fully explore the entirety of my games - which makes my games last that much longer, and surely that can't be a bad thing.

idk if you know this or not but trophies on the ps3 are some times mysteries,like it wont tell you how to get it,well all 50 something of lost planets 2 tropies are like that,plus theres a tropie for playing 1 co-op mission like 1,000 times,thats not easy,sense co-op is boring

Graboola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Graboola
Yeah, but I usually look up the secret trophies on gamefaqs. I guess I made too broad of a statement. I should have said that though there are achievements/trophies that demand skill (like multiplayer or online achievements/trophies), it seems to me that there are a lot of easy ones like Sepewrath mentioned.
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

Yeah it would add replay value to games.

MassiveKaos
Exactly. You could try to get them if you wanted, but it wouldn't be mandatory for beating the games. It definitely adds more play time and eggs you on to get the most out of the games.
deathconjew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deathconjew22
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

Of course they should and they should use something new like you earn stars or star points for completing achievments

For example(in OoT): Beat the Deku Tree=3 stars

Get the master sword=5 stars

Defeat ganon=10 stars

3 stars is similar to 30 gamerscore on xbox