Shigeru Miyamoto - the MAN of E3 2008 and the KING OF OWNAGE

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts
miyamoto fell off
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

3. I watched the entire Sony E3 press conference (for some reason) and Sony was less arrogant but they WERE still arrogant.

firefox59

Nah, not really. Sure, some of the devs who came on stage were a bit too "optimistic" about their games, but the chubby guy was >>>> Krazy Ken and Kaz, he was just confident.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#53 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
E for All is probably where Nintendo will release some bombs onto the hardcore public.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Wintry_Flutist

E for All is probably where Nintendo will release some bombs onto the hardcore public.helium_flash

As of now they're not attending it.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#55 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Maybe Nintendo will surprise us and attend TGS? Besides that we got GDC and maybe a Nintendo only event.
totalmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 totalmachine
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

All hail Miyamoto-san!

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkSan00"]

Well, E3 is called the BIGGEST GAMING EVENT OF THE YEAR etc

Wintry_Flutist

It was. Period. Things change, and E3 has changed sometime ago.

True, it was...for Nintendo.

The "other" console I own (:P) showed gameplay footage for numerous games coming out later this year and into early 2009. They showed the upcoming sortware update that will re-invent the dashboard interface.

Nintendo however showed sales figures for Nintendogs, and had a crazed bobble-headed woman with a perma-smile drone on about how you shouldn't get real physical activity, but instead play Shaun White Snowboarding because you may sprain your wrist like she did. Of course she drones on speaking to the half empty unimpressed audience in a tone that would apply to only 4 year old children. Which proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that Nintendo is geared now to only children and seniors.

E3 is still the gaming event of the year. Nintendo just isn't keeping up.

Avatar image for Wiifanboy_4life
Wiifanboy_4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Wiifanboy_4life
Member since 2006 • 3971 Posts
Call me what you want, but if ANYBODY else said that, I'd think they were just talking a load of BS. But when Miyamoto says it, you can't help but believe in what he's saying. Funny how that works isn't it?
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

Call me what you want, but if ANYBODY else said that, I'd think they were just talking a load of BS. But when Miyamoto says it, you can't help but believe in what he's saying. Funny how that works isn't it?Wiifanboy_4life
The first two comments from the list were pretty weak, the third comment though was reassuring. It doesn't help that you got the quotes from Joystiq, they took the after presentation as a big joke.

Edit: That you wasn't aimed at you as in the person I quoted =P

hnic7466

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 hnic7466
Member since 2007 • 484 Posts

1. Wii Music is a piece of crap.

2. Pikmin is nice, but doesn't make up for the embarassing press conference.

3. Nintendo's E3 presentation as a whole was poor this year.

Englando_IV

i agree 100% i personally dont care for pikmin and was very dissapointed fanboys can saywhat they want e3 for wii was terrible one announcement cant change the fact i was bored during there whole conference

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="chefstubbies"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="DarkSan00"]

Wintry_Flutist

Etc.

While Sony and MS aren't totally driven by the new standards yet, things are changing.

As for Microsoft, the big new announcement was a port. We all know FF13 exists already. Besides, there was gameplay of announced games. The truly new features are all casual stuff. From the Wiimote clones to the software. Looks like MS has been working hard to bring new casual stuff, but no new hardcore games...

Sony still believes hardcore is the way to go when it comes to games, and they're trying their best to have gigantic games on PS3, like that MAG one (which I don't care about but surely is ambitious). But don't fool yourself, they're aware they need to bring more variety on the PS3 (you know it when Singstar and Hot Shot Golfs are some of their high hopes) and, most important, they never forget to remind us the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player to purchase. Certainly the kind of thing directly aimed to hardcore gamers, huh...

When games like Gears of War 2, Monster Hunter 3, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Metal Gear Solid 4 are announced at GDC, TGS or private events and E3 gets re-announcements, gameplay, and casual stuff only, you know E3 has indeed become "E3 Media & Business".

The difference is, Sony and Microsoft all had something that would appeal to both the old time gamers and the new gamers. Nintendo on the other hand devoted their entire presentation to appealing to the new gamers and left the long time gamers with just a sentence saying "ya, we're working on Mario, Zelda and Pikmin"
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Wintry_Flutist

The difference is, Sony and Microsoft all had something that would appeal to both the old time gamers and the new gamers. Nintendo on the other hand devoted their entire presentation to appealing to the new gamers and left the long time gamers with just a sentence saying "ya, we're working on Mario, Zelda and Pikmin"
forgot_it

This is true, and I wouldn't mind if E3 was full of content and perfectly balanced between hardcore/casual and anywhere in between stuff. That would make E3 the most complete gaming event ever.

But when you compare this E3 to previous ones, specially prior to E3 2006, you see things have changed, and will keep changing. Microsoft was this year just like Nintendo at E3 2006, when they announced both hardcore games (Galaxy, MP3, Brawl, and there was Zelda gameplay too) and their casual stuff (WiiSports, Mii, WiiMusic...).

In the next two years, Nintendo definitely decided it's better for them to focus on new/original/casual content at E3 given the media over there. For them, it's better to have a few thousands gamers angry and ranting in forums while the E3 press tells millions of casual gamers about WiiMusic and Animal Crossing. They can easily fix it up later with a small, cheap event that only us will pay attention to.

Sony and specially MS have made the first steps in this direction, and I don't see why they will come back.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="chefstubbies"][QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"][QUOTE="DarkSan00"]

forgot_it

Etc.

While Sony and MS aren't totally driven by the new standards yet, things are changing.

As for Microsoft, the big new announcement was a port. We all know FF13 exists already. Besides, there was gameplay of announced games. The truly new features are all casual stuff. From the Wiimote clones to the software. Looks like MS has been working hard to bring new casual stuff, but no new hardcore games...

Sony still believes hardcore is the way to go when it comes to games, and they're trying their best to have gigantic games on PS3, like that MAG one (which I don't care about but surely is ambitious). But don't fool yourself, they're aware they need to bring more variety on the PS3 (you know it when Singstar and Hot Shot Golfs are some of their high hopes) and, most important, they never forget to remind us the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player to purchase. Certainly the kind of thing directly aimed to hardcore gamers, huh...

When games like Gears of War 2, Monster Hunter 3, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Metal Gear Solid 4 are announced at GDC, TGS or private events and E3 gets re-announcements, gameplay, and casual stuff only, you know E3 has indeed become "E3 Media & Business".

Wintry is right. Sony and Microsoft didn't really show anything that was new. Sony and Microsoft have their private shows now. Microsoft has the X show. Sony has pratically the TGS at their feet. Even the 3rd party had their show like Capcom and Square-Enix. E3 means nothing for the big announcements. Also, name 1 thing that Microsoft and Sony announce for the new gamers.

For me, it's the TGS the biggest show now. And you know that Nintendo and even Microsoft won't show at TGS. Nintendo should recreate the SpaceWorld. By the way Wintry, Monster Hunter 3 was announced on a privite event in Japan from Nintendo last year.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Wintry_Flutist

Wintry is right. Sony and Microsoft didn't really show anything that was new. Sony and Microsoft have their private shows now. Microsoft has the X show. Sony has pratically the TGS at their feet. Even the 3rd party had their show like Capcom and Square-Enix. E3 means nothing for the big announcements. Also, name 1 thing that Microsoft and Sony announce for the new gamers.

For me, it's the TGS the biggest show now. And you know that Nintendo and even Microsoft won't show at TGS. Nintendo should recreate the SpaceWorld. By the way Wintry, Monster Hunter 3 was announced on a privite event in Japan from Nintendo last year.

chris3116

Oh, yeah, now it makes sense. I knew it wasn't E3 and supposed SE would announce it at TGS, but I remembered Iwata was there, so I was a little confused. :P

So, that's GDC for LoZ: PH and GeoW2, and private events for MH3 and MGS4 (not sure if MGS4 got its first proper trailer at E3 or TGS)... Well, TGS still got the unveil of Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry this gen and probably a lot more I can't remember.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

I like tacos.

:)

bob_newman

Good for you.

huntervaneg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 huntervaneg
Member since 2007 • 519 Posts
During the secret special event I hate Miyamoto specially when he refers about hardcore gamers and in the way he answer about Pikmin 3.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Wintry_Flutist

During the secret special event I hate Miyamoto specially when he refers about hardcore gamers and in the way he answer about Pikmin 3. huntervaneg

May you specify what was wrong about that?

huntervaneg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 huntervaneg
Member since 2007 • 519 Posts

[QUOTE="huntervaneg"]During the secret special event I hate Miyamoto specially when he refers about hardcore gamers and in the way he answer about Pikmin 3. Wintry_Flutist

Do you like the ironic sarcastic tone on the verbal expression for both issues? I just felt that he was joking about important affairs for hardcore gamers; for me it is not a joke and I 'm not one.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="huntervaneg"]During the secret special event I hate Miyamoto specially when he refers about hardcore gamers and in the way he answer about Pikmin 3. huntervaneg

Do you like the ironic sarcastic tone on the verbal expression for both issues? I just felt that he was joking about important affairs for hardcore gamers; for me it is not a joke and I 'm not one.

I didn't know there was a video of the dev conference (cameras were not allowed) but, despite the fact that I don't think Miyamoto is even capable of irony, he's probably tired of the same questions about teh harcorez.

noi07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 noi07
Member since 2008 • 74 Posts

I didn't know there was a video of the dev conference (cameras were not allowed) but, despite the fact that I don't think Miyamoto is even capable of irony, he's probably tired of the same questions about teh harcorez.

Wintry_Flutist

The developer conference did not allow cameras and even audio recording devices. That is why GameSpot and other gaming sites reported the conference live using live chat. Miyamoto speaks only Japanese and what he says in English can be easily be mistranslated or misinterpreted. Also, I think he is wary of "core" gamers and their attitude towards Nintendo, believing that they are spoiled brats who demand too much.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

noi07

1) The developer conference did not allow cameras and even audio recording devices. That is why GameSpot and other gaming sites reported the conference live using live chat. Miyamoto speaks only Japanese and what he says in English can be easily be mistranslated or misinterpreted. 2) Also, I think he is wary of "core" gamers and their attitude towards Nintendo, believing that they are spoiled brats who demand too much.

1) Yup. Except that he can be mistranslated, he has his own translator.

2) True.

nomadph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 nomadph
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

i bet most of you guys complaining here about hardcore games are posers...

...most of you are probably the reason why ubisoft still releases their uber uncool games with the letter Z with dogz or catz or hippopotamuz or rhinocerouz

Res0lu7ion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Res0lu7ion
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

The "We're making Pikmin" annoucnement doesn't count for anything. Everyone know's they're working on Pikmin, it was boung to happen sooner or later and there were enough hints to automatically assume it. The annoucnemtn was hardly worth applause either, no one was applausing when it was annoucned that the Zelda and Mario teams are working on projects, I don't see what's so special about Pikmin. All his other comments seemed acceptable to a level though.forgot_it

haha "doesn't count for anything" haha "I don't see what's so special about pikmin." haha

1. if they announce a game THEY ANNOUNCE IT... doesnt mean that it isn't there.

2. pikmin IS TEH OWNIGE!

3. who the hell said no applause was at zelda and mario... every1 is like omfg zelda wii omfg omfg and mario... well we all loved galaxies how coulcnt we scream like a little girl when we heard of SMG 2..

to the man from above... shiggy you rock plz just announce you inner games at Tokyo Game Show plz.

i also hate that people think that nintendo scked at e3.. i dont know but im kinda impressed at several games.. er..liek... the 297 FPS games that were announced and trust me when GH4 comes out it wont mater what next gen u got ur in the ownage gaming mix