RE: Darkside Chronicles GS review...

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

Wasn't expecting much but for some reason I was expecting GS to be a little higher. Should have known better.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
GS doesn't like the wii so no one should take there reviews serious
Goomba_Lord37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Goomba_Lord37
Member since 2008 • 5381 Posts

That seems somewhat low to me. :?

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
that really sucks, but I cant really take it seriously after reading it.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Wow they managed to call it a FPS in the first sentence. Honestly outside of that though their complaints seem valid, but at the same time they didn't seem give it a whole lot of credit for what it does right either.

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
The average press review is 7.0 The lowest is 4.0 And the highest scores are 8.0 at IGN and B+ and 1up. I think this game is going to be hit and miss, some will love it some will hate it. I'm afraid this one's going to be a rent for me, I'm not going to gamble 50 bucks.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

The text of the review doesn't make me think it's that bad. We've all known about the camera thing for a long time, and I have a feeling it'll just take some getting used to. The other stuff doesn't seem like a big issue at all to me.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
I think rail-shooters will get generally mixed reviews. It doesn't matter though. It's great for Resident Evil fans. That's all that really matters to me.
Wii_Gamer_277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wii_Gamer_277
Member since 2009 • 1795 Posts
Expected dead space extraction is the true on rails shooter for the wii DSC looks like crap in comparison.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Expected dead space extraction is the true on rails shooter for the wii DSC looks like crap in comparison.Wii_Gamer_277
Have you seen the videos in action? The game looks awesome much better than the first one. GS docked off reviews because of the shaky camera. DSC is supposed to be better than the first and the first got a 7 or 8 I think.
Dark_Sight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dark_Sight
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

wow im suprised at the score but none the less ill still be picking it up!

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#12 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

GS doesn't like the wii so no one should take there reviews seriouselbert_b_23

I get tired of seeing posts like yours. Why exactly would any sane person hold a vendetta against any gaming platform? GS hates Wii, jeez dude it's a RE light gun game. Do you know how many of these have been received poorly since Capcom started creating them? (The answer is all of them)

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
I will wait for some real wii players opinion before deciding between this or DS:E. Revisiting Re2 and Code Veronica is really temping since those are two of my favorite games ever. But if the gameplay is really crap... dunno. I might end biting anyway, Re2-CV are that good.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I'm reminded a bit of the words of Tycho from Penny Arcade when he was speaking about Bookworm Adventures 2:

"Reviewing such a game is beyond worthless. You either want to spell words or you don't, and if you do, a context where spelling is an act of almost barbaric aggression will appeal to you."

This is one of the reasons why I've never really quite liked the mandatory assignment of a single-axis numerical score to a game that is supposed to encapsulate the entire breadth and depth of its worth. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have been critically savaged, but I love them. Why? Because I wanted what they were offering, and reviewers didn't. Games like this are much the same - I loved Dead Space Extraction, but others didn't want a light gun game, so they predictably didn't like it. That I liked it and they didn't does not help anyone in any way who is wondering whether or not they should buy the game. For games like this that, what's important is really what's in it and whether it does what it's supposed to, not whether the reviewer liked it.

Of course, if it is indeed the case that the game fails at what it's trying to do, that's an entirely different story. I'm not going to say anything conclusive until I get the game myself.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Guess I'll stick to Overkill.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#16 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Ok that seals it, I will NEVER buy this game. I'll just get Dead Space Extraction instead if I want a rail shooter. Oh and now we see people say "It's just a review, people will still enjoy it" but when it comes to MWR, people LOVE to see bad reviews of the game :roll:

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Why exactly would any sane person hold a vendetta against any gaming platform?

NeonNinja
So, you've never been to System Wars then.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
I'll still get it
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I hoped it would be better.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
*ignores the score* looks like "the camera shakes too much, it's impossible to aim" is a major complaint for everyone.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

This quote pretty much sealed it for me...

While on some level the shaky cam succeeds at this by amping up the tension, it's mostly just annoying becauseit constantly moves in unrealistic ways, making precision shots almost impossible...........Though Darkside tries to make up for the camera shortcomings with an auto-lock feature that lets you lock on to a target you hover your cursor over,this is available only on the easy difficulty setting, and there are times when it doesn't work effectively.

Gamespot Review

You know you've got big problems if you need an auto lock feature in a light gun game. :lol:

I like on-rails shooter, but I think RE Darkside Chronicles is a bad one. I'll stick with Overkill and Extraction.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JordanElek

This quote pretty much sealed it for me...

[QUOTE="Gamespot Review"]

While on some level the shaky cam succeeds at this by amping up the tension, it's mostly just annoying becauseit constantly moves in unrealistic ways, making precision shots almost impossible...........Though Darkside tries to make up for the camera shortcomings with an auto-lock feature that lets you lock on to a target you hover your cursor over,this is available only on the easy difficulty setting, and there are times when it doesn't work effectively.

canadianloonie

You know you've got big problems if you need an auto lock feature in a light gun game. :lol:

I like on-rails shooter, but I think RE Darkside Chronicles is a bad one. I'll stick with Overkill and Extraction.

He forgot to mention that the auto-lock only locks onto the enemy's torso. If you use it, it's impossible to get headshots, and this game is ALL about headshots.

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 canadianloonie

[QUOTE="canadianloonie"]

JordanElek

He forgot to mention that the auto-lock only locks onto the enemy's torso. If you use it, it's impossible to get headshots, and this game is ALL about headshots.

So the autolock feature is pretty much useless then?

The fact that autolock was added means Capcom knew aiming will be an issue and a source of frustration.

The game sounds more frustrating than fun. Just sayin'.

rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
not surprised for a game with cheesy dialogue and scares.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]GS doesn't like the wii so no one should take there reviews seriousNeonNinja

I get tired of seeing posts like yours. Why exactly would any sane person hold a vendetta against any gaming platform? GS hates Wii, jeez dude it's a RE light gun game. Do you know how many of these have been received poorly since Capcom started creating them? (The answer is all of them)

how should i know why some people just don't like systems it was like on ign after deamon left the nintendo team then he said on how he thought the wii was a stupid idea and never liked it. gs may never said they dislike the wii but they go out of the way to lower game scores and around 80% of all the game reviews is 2 or more points lower then Critic Score on gamerankings and user reviews and to vgchartz resident evil the umbrella chronicles sold over a million copies world wide now i don't believe in that site but it does show around the sells
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="canadianloonie"]

canadianloonie

So the autolock feature is pretty much useless then?

The fact that autolock was added means Capcom knew aiming will be an issue and a source of frustration.

The game sounds more frustrating than fun. Just sayin'.

One of the developers explained it in a video interview... I believe here on GS. He basically said that they added it to be a help to people who might be new to the Wii and not very good at aiming with the pointer yet. And since it's only available on the easiest setting, it has little to do with the shaky cam, since that's present in every difficulty obviously.

I get your point, but I think the autolock has more to do with accessibility than with the shaky camera.

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BigGimp77
Member since 2006 • 532 Posts
I bought and enjoyed the first RE:UC. However, I am already bought Dead Space Extraction and am waiting to play it. I will probably hold off on this game for a while. The shaky camera seems to be a constant complaint in a lot of reviews. Did the first one have a shaky camera, I cant remember. But in a game where pinpoint accuracy is very important, a shaky camera would be very annoying.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

With the reviews of the last one I expected this one to do better. I'll likely end up getting it and Dead Space eventually. I love playing this kind of game and already have HODT 2/3, RE UC, and HOTD Overkill.

GS doesn't like the wii so no one should take there reviews seriouselbert_b_23

Almost all previous Resident Evil Lightgun games have been poorly reviewed. Why should this be any different? Also, no one should like the Wii for on rail shooters. You'd have to be crazy to want them for the Wii knowing you will have to use a Wiimote or all the sensors with the PS3 gun (in the PS3s case). Should have kept these on the PS2 with the guncon that works easily and perfectly (and that has extra buttons in easy to reach spots unlike trying to with the Wiimote in a Perfect Shot attachment). I'll take what I can get though

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

nethernova

He said sane person

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

but when it comes to MWR, people LOVE to see bad reviews of the game :roll:

Kenny789
silly isn't it. they did that with the conduit also. Why waste the energy on something you don't like? not very productive.
Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

I may rent this game down the line sometime, just like I did Umbrella Chronicles and Extraction. That's all I am willing to do with a rail shooter. I just hope Capcom realizesthatcore Wii owners want more than a rail shooter from a marquee franchise. I thought they would've realized that after the great sales of RE4: Wii Edition.

Can we please get another free roaming RE game that has a similar control scheme/perspective to RE4? It doesNOT have to be RE5--screw that title--let the 360/PS3 keep that! However, give me a Wii RE game, built from the ground up,that is free roaming! Don't worry about sales--it's Resident Evil!Such a gamewill still sell well, especially with a decent marketing campaign.

Third parties should try such an effort with all of their major franchises that they bring to the Wii. Look at how well Guitar Hero has done on the Wii! It's a major franchise and a very recognized title, but was given special "ground up" treatment with the Wii version--and it has paid off. So come on Grand Theft Auto Wii.Let's get a move on Assasin's Creed Wii.You all know what I'm getting at.

Very simple formula: major hit franchise + "ground up" (free roaming) treatment + solid marketing campaign = happy core wii owners and third party companies.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 garrett_duffman

I may rent this game down the line sometime, just like I did Umbrella Chronicles and Extraction. That's all I am willing to do with a rail shooter. I just hope Capcom realizesthatcore Wii owners want more than a rail shooter from a marquee franchise. I thought they would've realized that after the great sales of RE4: Wii Edition.

Can we please get another free roaming RE game that has a similar control scheme/perspective to RE4? It doesNOT have to be RE5--screw that title--let the 360/PS3 keep that! However, give me a Wii RE game, built from the ground up,that is free roaming! Don't worry about sales--it's Resident Evil!Such a gamewill still sell well, especially with a decent marketing campaign.

Third parties should try such an effort with all of their major franchises that they bring to the Wii. Look at how well Guitar Hero has done on the Wii! It's a major franchise and a very recognized title, but was given special "ground up" treatment with the Wii version--and it has paid off. So come on Grand Theft Auto Wii.Let's get a move on Assasin's Creed Wii.You all know what I'm getting at.

Very simple formula: major hit franchise + "ground up" (free roaming) treatment + solid marketing campaign = happy core wii owners and third party companies.

Tri-Enforcer
that would be interesting... maybe a "Resident Evil: Racoon city Outbreak" where you can play through a sort of sandbox adventure, possible multiplayer, while still strong in the adventure and puzzling aspects... maybe it could work like the last RE4 beta, where it had camera angles like the original, but then when you shot, you went into the behind the shoulder perspective.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]GS doesn't like the wii so no one should take there reviews seriouselbert_b_23

how should i know why some people just don't like systems it was like on ign after deamon left the nintendo team then he said on how he thought the wii was a stupid idea and never liked it. gs may never said they dislike the wii but they go out of the way to lower game scores and around 80% of all the game reviews is 2 or more points lower then Critic Score on gamerankings and user reviews and to vgchartz resident evil the umbrella chronicles sold over a million copies world wide now i don't believe in that site but it does show around the sells

GS has nothing against the Wii.

It's true that a lot of their reviews are lower than what the average score on GR and Metacritic is but they do that for ALL systems not just the Wii.

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jdmpastor

not surprised for a game with cheesy dialogue and scares.rgame1

Some people like cheese. :)

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts

Some of you are really taking this score from GS seriously.I got the game and i personally think its better than UC for alot of reasons and the shaky camera is NOT a problem at all,people just want to find a reason to complain about the aiming or such. Bottom line is,if you enjoyed playing Umbrella Chronicles,you would definitely enjoy play Darkside Chronicles so GS score means nothing to me whatsoever.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

[QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

garrett_duffman

that would be interesting... maybe a "Resident Evil: Racoon city Outbreak" where you can play through a sort of sandbox adventure, possible multiplayer, while still strong in the adventure and puzzling aspects... maybe it could work like the last RE4 beta, where it had camera angles like the original, but then when you shot, you went into the behind the shoulder perspective.

Yes...yes...anything but a rail shooter or last gen port! However, I don't want another RE game that is set in the past--it's been done waaaaaay too muchalready. Nonetheless, we'll see what Capcom decides to dowith the franchise on Wii from here on out.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

the shaky camera is NOT a problem at all

I heard the opposite from all the reviews I read and from many people that have the game. The best I have heard about it is that it takes getting used to but after playing for awhile you get over it.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

nethernova

Irrelevant. I said sane person, not insane, rabid fanboys running wild wondering why their lives are incomplete if a game on a platform they don't own somehow scores a 9.

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jdmpastor

Some of you are really taking this score from GS seriously.I got the game and i personally think its better than UC for alot of reasons and the shaky camera is NOT a problem at all,people just want to find a reason to complain about the aiming or such. Bottom line is,if you enjoyed playing Umbrella Chronicles,you would definitely enjoy play Darkside Chronicles so GS score means nothing to me whatsoever.

TriniPlayer

I don't agree with GS reviews (especially for the Wii) and I really enjoyed UC so I'll be picking this up next week. Right now I'm having fun with New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts
I was expecting something in the 7-8 range.
Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
well... just got this game and I`m waiting for my friend to try it out.. so I`ll come and let you guys know what I think... :)
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]GS doesn't like the wii so no one should take there reviews seriouselbert_b_23

I honestly have no idea what you just said.

You are literally comparing the opinion of ONE PERSON to an entire WEB SITE. I don't care about that guy from IGN that I have never heard of NOR am I asking you about sales. How exactly does GS hate the Wii is what I'd like to know from you. And don't respond with "How should I know" because that just means you're making stuff up.

And where the hell does this 80% come from of lower scores? Do you know what you just typed? Because either I have no idea what you just typed or you have no idea what you just typed or you just typed a bunch of stuff that doesn't make any sense.

They have given positive reviews to a ton of Wii games, even this year. I don't get how they hate the Wii. I have made so many informed decisions about purchases because of GS reviews for the Wii. I just don't see how they hate the Wii.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I wonder if some of the GS members are having 2nd thoughts on that Holiday Reccomendation video they recently posted.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 garrett_duffman

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

Tri-Enforcer

Yes...yes...anything but a rail shooter or last gen port! However, I don't want another RE game that is set in the past--it's been done waaaaaay too muchalready. Nonetheless, we'll see what Capcom decides to dowith the franchise on Wii from here on out.

I like Racoon city's story too much to just let it die.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 canadianloonie

One of the developers explained it in a video interview... I believe here on GS. He basically said that they added it to be a help to people who might be new to the Wii and not very good at aiming with the pointer yet. And since it's only available on the easiest setting, it has little to do with the shaky cam, since that's present in every difficulty obviously.

I get your point, but I think the autolock has more to do with accessibility than with the shaky camera.

JordanElek

Except Lark pointed out that precise aiming is virtually impossible with the shaky cam. Autolock helps out a bit but it is only available in the easy setting.

This is coming from a guy who played and enjoyed Overkill and Extraction.

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts

the shaky camera is NOT a problem at allLegolas_Katarn

I heard the opposite from all the reviews I read and from many people that have the game. The best I have heard about it is that it takes getting used to but after playing for awhile you get over it.

Guess that i'm different from them cuz like i said,i had not one problem with the shaky camera.

tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

I will get it,not matter what the score was.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
I wonder if some of the GS members are having 2nd thoughts on that Holiday Reccomendation video they recently posted.wiifan001
i usually dont have any doubts on what i wanna get (i'm pretty organized when it comes to games i'll pick :P) so i didnt even check it. but now i'm curious to see what they recommended :P
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#48 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]I wonder if some of the GS members are having 2nd thoughts on that Holiday Reccomendation video they recently posted.BrunoBRS
i usually dont have any doubts on what i wanna get (i'm pretty organized when it comes to games i'll pick :P) so i didnt even check it. but now i'm curious to see what they recommended :P

from the wii list I remember: nsmb wii, rabbids go home, darkside chronicles, wii fit +, nfs nitro, WS Resort, Beatles rb, and a couple others. Gh5 & Band Hero maybe?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

canadianloonie

Except Lark pointed out that precise aiming is virtually impossible with the shaky cam. Autolock helps out a bit but it is only available in the easy setting.

This is coming from a guy who played and enjoyed Overkill and Extraction.

Yeah, I don't doubt that the camera makes aiming harder. When I was looking for the interview where a dev explains the auto-lock (which I couldn't find again), I found another one where the producer says the goal for Darkside was to make it easier to complete but more difficult to master than Umbrella Chronicles, mainly because people apparently complained that UC was too hard.

The shaky cam is probably one of the things that makes it more difficult to master. You have to have faster reflexes. Extraction reviews complained that the camera moved too quickly sometimes so it was hard to grab the items while they were on-screen. That was true, but once you were able to anticipate that kind of thing, it got easier. I think the same could be true of Darkside Chronicles.

But who knows. I really don't think it's a game-breaking thing. I still haven't decided if I want to buy it or rent it. Maybe I'll just wait for a price drop, since I have other games to play for awhile anyway.

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

I'm only getting the game cuz I'm a resident evil fanatic.

To be honest, I can see why reviewers that aren't big fans of the RE universe wouldn't like this game. But oh well, that has nothing to do with me so bring on the bad reviews, doesn't change my decision to purchase.

oh, and anyone who actually reads gamespot reviews for wii games is just asking to get all angry and fired up.