Nintendo -- software to be shown at E3 in June.

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

What we are looking at are the cumulative Wii and DS sales through the end of 2008. Wii has been selling at industry's record pace so far, and with new customers acquired by the gaming population expansion efforts, it is not impossible for Wii's total sales to exceed the final install base of PS2. Wii still has much more room for expansion. We can expect more sales of software in the next fiscal year than in the current year. With what kind of software is Nintendo going to achieve this goal? Well, it will be shown at E3 to be held in the U.S. this June. - Satoru Iwata

Nintendo is talking again. They want out sell the PS2's install base and believe it is possible. Iwata also says we can expect to see more software in June to continue to sell more units.

Uh oh, I smell more E3 hype -- don't leave us underwhelmed like last year Nintendo, please dont.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Just give me new things, don't care what as long as it's new

zenszulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 zenszulu
Member since 2004 • 1907 Posts
I think it is highly possible the the Wii could go on to out sell the PS2 I think in the same sort of time frame if compared right now it is ahead of the PS2 by some margin, and that's one impreesive feat, if they keep on the path they are on there isn't much that can stop them at the moment except themselves.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I dont care if its old or new as long as its good. Also its not surprising that Nintendo is going easy on the hardware, hell they should be out of ideas for the time being.
livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts
I hope it's not just casual stuff. They'll probably show the media why Wii Sports Resort is so good. What else could they say? Hopefully Reggie comes back or Cammie wears rock apparel, a mohawk and plays "Wii Will Rock You" on the drums on Wii Music.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#6 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I'm not going to get my self hyped up for this year's showing after the laughing stock that was last year.

Still, I hope they show us something to get excietd about.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
I can't believe we have E3 hype in January already. While I expect a great showing this year from Nintendo, many people are going to be very disappointed because of the hype machine that is already being created.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Link?
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Jaysonguy

Allow me to add that new must mean new to the whole world, not just America.

Nintendo can show Fatal Frame IV, Disaster: Day of Crisis, and Captain Rainbow and call them new to Americans. But in the end it only ruins what little confidence everyone has that the company actually cares about software and is content to push games 2-3 years before announcing anything actually new.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 haziqonfire
Link?MAILER_DAEMON
Oh, :oops: Here Sorry. I'm in class, hah.
ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts
He truly is our Haziqonfire and is truly a Wii Defender.
RPGfan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RPGfan5
Member since 2009 • 144 Posts
I think it will be hard to out sell PS2. For years PS2 was by far the best consol out there and that was what everybody had.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haziqonfire
He truly is our Haziqonfire and is truly a Wii Defender.ChildOfGaming7
I am. I'm just that great.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I think it will be hard to out sell PS2. For years PS2 was by far the best consol out there and that was what everybody had.RPGfan5
Another big reason is because the Wii is better hardware and Nintendo has better customer service. I know alot of people who went through multiple PS2's. Anyway yeah people really shouldn't start hyping themselves up. Remember E3 isn't what it use to be
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
E3 is too far away for me to care right now - I'll wake up from hibernation around that time. :D
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

I'm not going to get my self hyped up for this year's showing after the laughing stock that was last year.

How was last year a laughing stock?
evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 evrdayblues
Member since 2005 • 512 Posts
[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="BuryMe"]

Did you not see it? Please somebody, put up one of those E3 GIFs from last year for him to see! They were funny...
BlackDragon110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlackDragon110
Member since 2003 • 458 Posts

I think that the current situation with the video game market has Nintendo in a very unique position that if they play things right could have them dominating not only this generation but the next as well. Currently, Nintendo is the only hardware and software developer that hasn't laid off any workers and both the Wii and the DS have a huge install base. With so many development houses looking to cut cost in whatever way they can, many will be looking towards the Wii because of its low development cost. Now this is what could be a doubled-edged sword for Nintendo. At present, the Wii has the stigma that only first-party games will sale on the system and any third-party game that will be a money maker has to be a collection of mini-games. If those are the only games that developers are looking to put out on the Wii, that would be disastrous for Nintendo as it would drive owners to other systems that have much more in-depth games. Casual gamers have been Nintendo's bread and butter, so for much of 2008 that has been where their main focus has been. I think that last year's E3 was kind of a wakeup call for Nintendo that they have largely ignored core gamers. Now they have taken a series of steps to address this, but there is much more they can do.

The Wii has a slew of new core games coming out this year the quite honestly they have not given a lot of support to. The Conduit has to be the biggest game for the Wii this year. This game shows off the power of the Wii unlike any game before. Incredible graphics, awesome controls, 16 players online, Wii Speak compatible. The game is slated to be a huge success and represent core games on the Wii in a big way. But Nintendo sadly has given the title very little support. I remember reading about how at E3 that people were walking past the Conduit booth thinking it was an Xbox 360 game and were shocked to learn that it was actually a Wii game. It was the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to say, "For all those who says there are no core games for the Wii, take a look at this". When you think about core games that are coming in the next few months like Deadly Creatures, HoD: Overkill, Mad World; these games haven't gotten a lot of support from Nintendo. Third-party developers will be watching these games very closely to see just how well these core games do. The better these games do, the more willing developers will be in bringing over new and current core IPs. Nintendo is really only shooting themselves in the foot but not giving more support to the few core IP's on the Wii.

In an effort to attract more developers t o the Wii, Nintendo lowered the standards it had in place for games on its past systems. Unfortunately, this lead to many games on the Wii that looked like they were first generation PS2 games. Developers took a really lazy approach towards Wii games in that they would take a game that they might have been developing for the PS2 and just slap Wii controls on it. Games that were multiplatform would have teams of 50-100 people working on the PS3/360 versions. The Wii/PS2 version would have a team of 25 or less. The results were Wii games that were serious substandard compared to other versions. Take the Wii version of Rock Band for instant. Compared to the PS3 and 360 versions, the Wii edition wasn't even a third of the game of its big brothers. What was even stranger is the fact that the game was released some 6 months after the PS2 version and both are nearly identical. With the Wii having such a large piece of the video game market, it's only natural that developers will be towards it to potential release their games on. Nintendo is in the position to insist on certain standards be observed for games developed on the Wii and reduce the amount of shovelware. Namely, no graphics that appear to be last-gen for a start.

Anyway those are just a few of my thoughts. What do you think?

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
This E3 may actually be worth being hyped for. Unlike last E3 which I still don't know why people got so hyped because they showed pretty much what I expected. If they do the same this year, rest assured that around the time of TGS new games will be announced, they being doing this for like 3 years now.
evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 evrdayblues
Member since 2005 • 512 Posts
[QUOTE="BlackDragon110"]

I think that the current situation with the video game market has Nintendo in a very unique position that if they play things right could have them dominating not only this generation but the next as well. Currently, Nintendo is the only hardware and software developer that hasn't laid off any workers and both the Wii and the DS have a huge install base. With so many development houses looking to cut cost in whatever way they can, many will be looking towards the Wii because of its low development cost. Now this is what could be a doubled-edged sword for Nintendo. At present, the Wii has the stigma that only first-party games will sale on the system and any third-party game that will be a money maker has to be a collection of mini-games. If those are the only games that developers are looking to put out on the Wii, that would be disastrous for Nintendo as it would drive owners to other systems that have much more in-depth games. Casual gamers have been Nintendo's bread and butter, so for much of 2008 that has been where their main focus has been. I think that last year's E3 was kind of a wakeup call for Nintendo that they have largely ignored core gamers. Now they have taken a series of steps to address this, but there is much more they can do.

The Wii has a slew of new core games coming out this year the quite honestly they have not given a lot of support to. The Conduit has to be the biggest game for the Wii this year. This game shows off the power of the Wii unlike any game before. Incredible graphics, awesome controls, 16 players online, Wii Speak compatible. The game is slated to be a huge success and represent core games on the Wii in a big way. But Nintendo sadly has given the title very little support. I remember reading about how at E3 that people were walking past the Conduit booth thinking it was an Xbox 360 game and were shocked to learn that it was actually a Wii game. It was the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to say, "For all those who says there are no core games for the Wii, take a look at this". When you think about core games that are coming in the next few months like Deadly Creatures, HoD: Overkill, Mad World; these games haven't gotten a lot of support from Nintendo. Third-party developers will be watching these games very closely to see just how well these core games do. The better these games do, the more willing developers will be in bringing over new and current core IPs. Nintendo is really only shooting themselves in the foot but not giving more support to the few core IP's on the Wii.

In an effort to attract more developers t o the Wii, Nintendo lowered the standards it had in place for games on its past systems. Unfortunately, this lead to many games on the Wii that looked like they were first generation PS2 games. Developers took a really lazy approach towards Wii games in that they would take a game that they might have been developing for the PS2 and just slap Wii controls on it. Games that were multiplatform would have teams of 50-100 people working on the PS3/360 versions. The Wii/PS2 version would have a team of 25 or less. The results were Wii games that were serious substandard compared to other versions. Take the Wii version of Rock Band for instant. Compared to the PS3 and 360 versions, the Wii edition wasn't even a third of the game of its big brothers. What was even stranger is the fact that the game was released some 6 months after the PS2 version and both are nearly identical. With the Wii having such a large piece of the video game market, it's only natural that developers will be towards it to potential release their games on. Nintendo is in the position to insist on certain standards be observed for games developed on the Wii and reduce the amount of shovelware. Namely, no graphics that appear to be last-gen for a start.

Anyway those are just a few of my thoughts. What do you think?

Mostly spot on man. However the shovelware trend has already begun to falter. 3rd party games released in Q4 last year were quite good. Shawn White, for example, was best on Wii, and CoD:WaW wasn't too shabby either. It's going to be getting very good, very soon, and E3 will be a great opportunity for Nintendo to support 3rd parties more as well as show us what they've been working on since Galaxy...
Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
don't leave us underwhelmed like last year Nintendo, please dont.Haziqonfire
They'd better not. The only reason I haven't sold my Wii yet is because I'm holding onto the hopes that WiiMotion+ is going to be a big hit, and I can't wait for No More Heroes 2. Last year's E3 was a shot in the stomach, it wasn't fatal, but it still hurt like hell.
MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts
E3 is dead. Nintendos Fall Conference is the place for hardcore gamers now. ( 2007 Monster Hunter 3 & WiiWare was announced there, 2008 Sin & Punishment 2; New Tales of; Another Code; Punch Out )
Fleeman6019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Fleeman6019
Member since 2005 • 855 Posts
I think it will be hard to out sell PS2. For years PS2 was by far the best consol out there and that was what everybody had.RPGfan5
Nintendo just needs the thrid party support to out sell the PS2, the ds is on pace to crush the ps2 sales and its because they are getting support from everyone. But I'm talking the comments for Iwata very seriously because its coming from the top guy himself its just rumours and if Kid Icarus came out like it was suppose to last year E3 would not have been so bad for nintendo. And come to think about sony and microsoft didn't have a great e3 either last year expect for mircosoft getting FF XIII and they probably won't see that game until after next years E3. Atleast nintendo made up for it like a month later with there game confence when they announced the DSi and Punch Out.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Not just new, but shiny too.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I tried to warn people last year, but nobody listened.

Maybe this year they'll take note:

Don't get your hopes up. It can only lead to disappointment.

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
Nintendo Fall Conference has outdone E3 in both of its attempts(therefore making it a perfect 100%). If anything we should be hyping the Fall Conference for the more "hardcore" games and E3 for the casual games, because it makes perfect sense to show them off in that manner.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

It sucks that it is in june this year.

I will have to skip school to watch it.:P O well

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts
This will something to keep watch of instead of commenting on it yet. Last year was not what I expected from Nintendo, but oh well I guess you gotta go to a low point someday. Anyway I hope this year Nintendo and its 3rd party and 1st party devs get it goin.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Not trying to be a buzzkill to anyone or anything, but Mr. Iwata's comments suggests something to me that a lot of "hardcore" Wii owners aren't going to like at the moment. If he's saying what I think he's saying, he's not expecting games like Madworld, The Conduit, or House of the Dead: Overkill to perform any wonders for the Wii. This also says to me that while any of these games could still be shown, don't expect StarFox, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, or Kirby (sorry, Kirby) to be stars of the show, either. None of those games could provide the kind of software numbers Nintendo wants right now if that's as far as they're going with this. Heck, I'm willing to go as far as to say that this "software" might be less of a game and more of an application for the Wii. If Nintendo's now aiming for PS2 numbers, this is going to require perhaps the biggest ace the company has up its sleeve.

Still not that hyped for E3 myself, but reading this has made things interesting... :P

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
I'd like to be excited... But after last year's E3, I'll keeping my expectations low.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="evrdayblues"][QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="BuryMe"]

Did you not see it? Please somebody, put up one of those E3 GIFs from last year for him to see! They were funny...

We got the balance board, Shaun White, and Skate It. These games are another great and unique experience on the Wii/balance board and aren't worth playing on other systems. Boom Blox was great, COD:WAW was great, and the list goes on.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
wow, nintendo will show new software on E3, and they want to sell more. without this topic, i'd never figure it out.
yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
well, only a few months to go. pretty sure they will say something about being more casual then out of nowhere they show a new zelda game with motion plus that will make us cream our pants. haha.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
If E3 is anything like last year I will be even more dissapointed. One crappy E3 sucks but two in a row is something else. Still it is a while away.
Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts
yo zuma when you get up wake me up also
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

If E3 is anything like last year I will be even more dissapointed. One crappy E3 sucks but two in a row is something else. Still it is a while away.TheColbert

The funny thing is that if Nintendo's E3 presentation is anything like it was last year, it's probably going to be a superb second half of the year for the company. In order for Nintendo to have the kind of fiscal year it's looking for, it's going to have to do something that's bizarre and extremely successful, even for its standards this gen. At this point, Nintendo probably isn't even phased by the possible reaction it could receive from people like us this year (although I still didn't mind last year's presentation from a more business-minded perspective), as it didn't do anything but further prove its dominance right now. Either way, it'll be "fun" to see the reaction from everyone once Nintendo is finished saying what it has to say. :P

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

We got the balance board, Shaun White, and Skate It. These games are another great and unique experience on the Wii/balance board and aren't worth playing on other systems. Boom Blox was great, COD:WAW was great, and the list goes on.psychobrew

Shaun White and Skate it aren't worth playing on other consoles? That couldn't be more untrue!

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

as long as it's as good as last year's tgs, im good

AdRock92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AdRock92
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts

I thought Nintendo uses E3 for mostly only showing off new ideas (Wii M+, Balance Board and it's games, Wii Music) and that Nintendo's Fall conference is where the "hardcore" games are shown off (Punch Out, S&P 2). I'm not going to get my hopes up too much for E3. I'll just wait and see what happens.

Also, the PS2's at what, 120 million or so? That's a crazy amount, but I think the Wii might actually have that kind of momentum.

lilmax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lilmax25
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

honestly in my opinoin i think the wii can outsell the ps2 easily!

the ps2 has no hope wii will win!

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
I'm gonna keep my expectations very low so that even the littlest announcements suprise me.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
They already confirmed Punchout!! for July :D
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
Lets not make predictions yet for E3.
Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
Well I'm looking forward to what we have to see in June. I really hope to see some good hardcore titles; while I'm fine with the games available, I'd love to see what's next.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised... unlike the last two.
Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#46 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts
Just give me a Pikmin 3 release date or trailer and I'll be happy.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
This is very good news if the audience of E3 is changing again this year. And it looks that way... slightly. Here.
If E3 audience has more focus on gamers, then there will be more content targeted at gamers.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
What else could they say?livinitup01
Lots of things.
pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts