Nintendo announces 3DS - New handheld that plays games in 3D without glasses!

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I think it's the DS successor:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323.pdf

Courtesy of @markmacd's twitter

• - New portable hardware
  • - To be announced at E3
  • - Backwards compatible
  • - Uses 3D technology without glasses!
  • - Release BEFORE March 2011

Also:

http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-announces-new-hardware-the-nintendo-3ds

At a Nintendo quarterly Q&A, the exec addressed the issue with the Asahi Shimbun, asserting that the reporter stated, "The graphics for the next DS will be highly detailed and it will contain a motion sensor, right?" Iwata claims he then replied, "Those things are naturally being required. But do you think it would sell with just that?" Iwata emphasized that this last part was left completely out.

It appears that the extra element Nintendo believed was necessary to really sell the DS successor is 3D.

Basically, some places are saying it's the DS successor and could have Gamecube graphics! :o

Wow, just wow!

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

Yeah that's pretty crazy. Guess we'll have to wait until E3 to really see what it's capable of.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

It sounds interesting, but for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

If it's an entirely new DS, I will get it. If it is just another upgrade, I think I will stick with my DSi and two DS Lites.

siafni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 siafni
Member since 2005 • 629 Posts

I hope that's not what they have in mind for the ds2... it would be disappointing...

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts

It sounds interesting, but for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Pixel-Perfect
That pretty much sums it up for me.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
Hopefully more will be revealed at E3 but I'm not going to rush in and get this at launch. I'm happy with the DSi
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Sounds awesome - Can't wait for E3. Though I'm going to definitely wait for the second iteration of it before buying it - Not going to get it immediately, I still need to finish quiet a few DS games as it is.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#9 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Now I don't know if I should get the XL or if I should just keep using my sister's Lite and wait for this. Sounds really interesting though but I hope they can make the 3D work well. Wouldn't want another VirtualBoy mess....
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

And when I repeatedly said the DS was dead you guys laughed at me so now I say ha ha

This is entirly new and it sounds pretty epic. 3D without glasses and who knows what Nintendo always has tricks up their sleves. This is going to be the best E3 ever! Zelda Wii and the 3D DS ( which according to GS isn't the real name)

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

I tell myself I won't buy any more Nintendo products and they have to get me AGAIN! :P

The possibilities are endless. Give me some Super Mario Galaxy DS Nintendo!!!

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts

As of right now, I dont understand how this would work. 3D has always been a grey area with me. Well see how it turns out, I trust Nintendo to do the right thing.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i'm not sure if it'll be 3D like those 3D TVs, or it'll just do that camera trick. i hope it's the first one. either way, i'll still enjoy my DSi until it's out... NEXT YEAR. no way they'll release it together with the XL, they're not stupid.
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

Hopefully this thing gets shown at E3. Right now, you can count me in on it for sure! Only things I'm worrying about atm are: Will it have a way to transfer DSi-ware games, and how much will it cost? I guess that's why I have to wait for E3... :P

BanderaGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BanderaGames
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/03/500x_nintendo_3ds.jpg
Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

GameSpot has posted an update on the front page. Japanese news source Nikkei has reported that there will be a thumbstick to control movement in a 3D plane, haptic feedback (rumble), enhanced battery life, improved network connectivity, and a screen size that's smaller than four inches.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

inb4 page 2 :D. Also, I really wanna know more about the 3D thing without glasses, maybe it's not what we think it is?

prinnyhero25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 prinnyhero25
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

While all this sounds great, I'm going to wait until they release more information about itbefore I start hyping.

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Foxh0und666

Just keep in mind guys, that even though it's been announced (and it seems that Nintendo did jump the gun...) I'm sure that all of the real information will be given at E3. So those of you saying I WONT BUY IT or IM DEFINITELY GONNA GET IT, keep in mind that the information that you're getting now isn't necessarily true. Take everything with a grain of salt :D.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS

inb4 page 2 :D. Also, I really wanna know more about the 3D thing without glasses, maybe it's not what we think it is?

ACL0V3R
glasses-free 3D TVs already exist. so it could be possible that the 3DS uses the same system. but chances are it'll just use that cheap camera trick that was done on the DSi, but better.
CrankyStorming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CrankyStorming
Member since 2010 • 223 Posts

All we need to hope for is that the 3D doesn't mess up when you blink and the thumbstick is a decent size. I don't really understand the hatred of putting thumbsticks on handhelds just because the one on the PSP was too small to be properly useble.

Kcdragon8116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22 Kcdragon8116
Member since 2008 • 1300 Posts
Looks like I'll finally buy a new DS. I still use my phat from 2005.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

ACL0V3R
People have the wrong idea about it, they think its going to be like Avatar but its not like that because you need glasses for it. Go to 1up's story on it and you will see a demo of the kind of 3D this will probably feature. But man I was finally going to get a DS this year lol.
Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Foxh0und666

[QUOTE="ACL0V3R"]

Sepewrath

People have the wrong idea about it, they think its going to be like Avatar but its not like that because you need glasses for it. Go to 1up's story on it and you will see a demo of the kind of 3D this will probably feature. But man I was finally going to get a DS this year lol.

Then why not get one? Or even a used model? I mean, by the time this "3DS" comes out, who knows, they'll probably announce a slim version of it coming 5 months after. You're never going to buy and enjoy something if you're always worried about the latest and greatest version.

BigFH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BigFH
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

http://ds.ign.com/articles/107/1079233p1.html

It looks like it will be awhile until it hits North America.

Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Foxh0und666

http://ds.ign.com/articles/107/1079233p1.html

It looks like it will be awhile until it hits North America.

BigFH

I can't remember where I read it before (Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly) but I could have swore that it said that the March 2011 release date was for NA, and that it would be released before then for Japan.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
my 1st DS was DS lite.. so far no reason to change... when they release the next game that is a must for me (zelda, KH, Castlevania) and is 3DS EXCLUSIVE, no DSlite-compatible.. they I guess I`ll force to get that one...
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
You know what sucks is that they'll make a "3DS Lite" shortly after and people will buy that too. Let's just wait and see what this thing is first.
IronstaunchB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IronstaunchB
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

Let the tears flow. "But teh DS is still going strong!", "We will not see another handheld until 2013!!", "But I just bought teh XL ;( !!!"

Told you so.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#30 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

Let the tears flow. "But teh DS is still going strong!", "We will not see another handheld until 2013!!", "But I just bought teh XL ;( !!!"

Told you so.

IronstaunchB

WIN. You most certainly did. :)

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="ACL0V3R"]

Foxh0und666

Then why not get one? Or even a used model? I mean, by the time this "3DS" comes out, who knows, they'll probably announce a slim version of it coming 5 months after. You're never going to buy and enjoy something if you're always worried about the latest and greatest version.

lol I was only kidding. But if I did know this was coming soon, since its backwards compatible I would just get this.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
What does it even mean to play it in 3D? How would that work?
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

hmm...im assuming it will still have touch screen considering its backwards compatible

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
What does it even mean to play it in 3D? How would that work?juden41

It means you have depth perception. Kinda like with those 3D movies. But in this case they're probably using a device called a "parallax barrier" to forgo the glasses.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS

Told you so.

IronstaunchB
whoever was guessing 2013 needs to see a doctor. i mean, most people believe the wii will have it's new iteration (aka new gen) in 2012 at most. thinking the DS technology could last 8 years is too much. BTW... HAH! i said the DSi was NOT a new generation :P
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts
Nintendo is really stepping up against the competition,just looking forward to this hand-held at E3.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="IronstaunchB"]

Told you so.

BrunoBRS

whoever was guessing 2013 needs to see a doctor. i mean, most people believe the wii will have it's new iteration (aka new gen) in 2012 at most. thinking the DS technology could last 8 years is too much. BTW... HAH! i said the DSi was NOT a new generation :P

It still very much is a new gen because there has never been a digital distrubution channel for the DS platform or for any nintendo handheld, and the DSiWare games are only capable of being done on the DSi and not on DS due to either the new ehancements of Internal Storage, more RAM/CPU clock speed, or the Camera gameplay

Additionally a majority of the games on DSiWare would never make it to DS retail, i don't see any way we can't call it a new platform.

Is it a new platform as satisfying and deep as others? Not really no. But it still can't be done on any other DS.

That'd be like if the Wii only played WiiWare and nothing but GCN games. Sure, it'd not have as many good games BUT due to enhancements the Wii has over GCN WiiWare alone makes it a new console over the GCN despite its hardware being a small upgrade (ala DSi/DS)

Infact, without the DSi would nintendo have implemented as many new things in the 3DS? Probably not. I also think we have a lot of thanks due to Apple for pushing nintendo to step their game up with the DSi and 3DS. BTW the nintendo statement said the 3DS plays Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games. So even nintendo see's it as a new platform, including the fact that the DSi has a dev kit of its own. The only reason why they wouldn't say DSi is a new platform in the press is coz it would kill DS Lite sales, and despite 16.4 million DSi's sold in year one they just weren't ready to commit enough to it on store shelves to kill off any remaining DS lite sales by saying the DSL is inferior. But they're investing a lot in the 3DS. So they're willing to make the DSL and DSi seem like the little siblings without the new bells and whistles.

on topic: I'm terribly excited for the 3DS. Gamecube graphics is a great addition. Does it use Tegra 2? I hope so . i'm thinking it'll cost no more than $199

Big questions: 320x240 or 480x320 screens? Nintendo is gonna catch a lot of flack if its the former. Wireless N or 3G? So many questions, all i want is pictures!

CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
People saying they want to wait 2 years more for the 3DS Lite to come out, idk... technology raised its level quickly so nintendo had to make better versions of the normal ds. I'm sure this thing will have bright screens and be nice and lightweight. Sure, they may have other versions come out, but look at the ds's three re-makes. smaller, lightweight. then cameras. then giant super amazing screens. No MUST HAVE upgrades there. I'll wait to see reviews and videos and stuff after its launch. So probably will get one a month or two after its released. this is a risky thing with the 3D imo, so definitely not a day 1 buy.
lillan2967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lillan2967
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

The question I want to know is how good the actual graphics are going to be? I'm expecting them to be at least more powerful than the PSP at this stage, and I hope that they don't completely forsake the production of 2D games. Because those have always been the forte of Nintendo's handhelds.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThePlothole

The question I want to know is how good the actual graphics are going to be? I'm expecting them to be at least more powerful than the PSP at this stage, and I hope that they don't completely forsake the production of 2D games. Because those have always been the forte of Nintendo's handhelds.

lillan2967

Supposedly it will be comparable to the Gamecube. That would be significantly above the PSP if true.

Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
Oooh....Maybe they should make a new starfox game with the release of the 3DS
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

We already have 3D on the DSi though. Checkout the DSiWare game called 3D Hidden Picture. It uses the camera in the DSi and clever graphics to emulate 3D.

Here's a youtube vid of it in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAg1s7xfz0&feature=player_embedded

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ThePlothole

We already have 3D on the DSi though. Checkout the DSiWare game called 3D Hidden Picture. It uses the camera in the DSi and clever graphics to emulate 3D.

Here's a youtube vid of it in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAg1s7xfz0&feature=player_embedded

Chickan_117

That is a nifty perspective trick, but it's not 3D. And by that I mean there is still no sensation of depth. The announcement suggest they are using some form of autostereoscopic display technology. Something that has already been deployed on several cell phones and laptops in the Asian markets.

Supaman222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Supaman222
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

How can they do 3D with no glasses?

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ThePlothole

Supaman222

Basically there is an optical device of some sort placed on top of the screen which allows half the pixels to be seen by one eye, half by the other. Currently this technology only works within a very narrow viewing angle, but that isn't really an issue for a handheld.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="Supaman222"]

ThePlothole

Basically there is an optical device of some sort placed on top of the screen which allows half the pixels to be seen by one eye, half by the other. Currently this technology only works within a very narrow viewing angle, but that isn't really an issue for a handheld.

You're really going to get tired of explaining that.

Nintendo hopefully gets demo 3DSs out soon to show it off so people understanding

GigabyteM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GigabyteM
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
it's little bit confusing gamespot say it's just fifth literation of DS with 3D but on another site it will be next generation of Nintendo handheld and have backwards compatible with DS & DSi games
rojo12689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 rojo12689
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

sounds cool. im anxious to see how the 3d works, and im anxious to get some decent handheld zelda games!!!

Avatar image for EnragedMagikarp
EnragedMagikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EnragedMagikarp
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
See, myself for one, I like this idea. Having said that, I'm perfectly happy with my DSi. This idea Nintendo pitched is definitely gonna be a HUGE seller if it ends up passing through. The idea for 3D handheld gaming is unreal. I remember playing on my Gameboy Colour! Man, those were the days. Now look, 3D gaming. Keep on rockin' our world, Nintendo, you're doing a great job!
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts
[QUOTE="lillan2967"]

ThePlothole

Supposedly it will be comparable to the Gamecube. That would be significantly above the PSP if true.

Roughly about double the power to be exact... What I'm hoping for is at least 480x320 res 3.8 inch screens. That I think is the deciding factor which will effect whether I buy the first iteration of the 3DS or not. At this point, I think it is just stupid to not increase the screen size and resolution....