New Other M Trailer

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

Introduces characters and shows some of her weapons, the grapple beam and some general combat. The game is looking better and better everytime I see it.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=131578

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

AWESOME!!!!!

This entire Trailer just reminded me of the Beginning of Fusion which makes me think that will be around the end of this game.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
YES One of the most essential abilities is back, shinesparking!! (at 2:46). So excited! Cannot wait :D
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I want to watch it, but does it give a lot away? lol. I already have it pre-ordered :P.

snipe12388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 snipe12388
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]YES One of the most essential abilities is back, shinesparking!! (at 2:46). So excited! Cannot wait :D

Friggin yes!! Anyone know if bomb jumps are in? Or the little energy ball power bomb trick? Either way, great looking game.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sepewrath

I want to watch it, but does it give a lot away? lol. I already have it pre-ordered :P.

NaveedLife
nah, it mostly just shows stuff from that same demo they have been showing from the past few months and just some random exhibitions of combat and exploration.
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

The more videos I watch, the more I wonder why you can't use the nunchuck for this type of game -_-'

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

Day 1 buy!

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I hope the English voice acting is good. Why won't they release videos like this for the West?

MRBUCKMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MRBUCKMASTER
Member since 2010 • 758 Posts
I'm Skeptical Still. So I'll Wait For Reviews.......
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Oh hey, we finally see more of the "Remembah me" guy. :P

Awesome, although I didn't exactly need any more convincing to get the game.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
Looks like classic Metroid even more every time I see a video. Can't wait for this one.
Goomba_Lord37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Goomba_Lord37
Member since 2008 • 5381 Posts

That looks incredible! This is easily my most anticipated title of the year!

Now if only I could understand the words. :P

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
That beam at 2:56 was insane, also you can see the list of her beam "upgrades" in there if you didn't notice.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

OMG HOLY CRAP!

So good. Just wow, sometimes I have to stop and think about how lucky we are to have this game coming out. Wht gift from the gaming gods this will truly be.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

Im glad the wave beam is back. And was that Ridley or something else?

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

The more videos I watch, the more I wonder why you can't use the nunchuck for this type of game -_-'

Jelley0

My thoughts exactly. Every trailer that I have seen for this game looks better and better (with the exception of that ridiculous looking purple monster at the beginning of this one) but I have to wonder how this is going to work out with the Wiimote held sideways control scheme.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#18 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I liked the 30 seconds I watched. Then I remembered that I am avoiding watching too many videos on the game. :P

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

Euaggelistes

My thoughts exactly. Every trailer that I have seen for this game looks better and better (with the exception of that ridiculous looking purple monster at the beginning of this one) but I have to wonder how this is going to work out with the Wiimote held sideways control scheme.

You have to remember that if you put the wiimote's pointer in front, you'll be in 1st person like Metroid Prime. It will not be always in sideways.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haziqonfire

1UP Article -- All About Metroid: Other M's Gameplay

--

For anyone interested.

As for playing with a Wiimote online, I think it makes sense. It was always designed to play NES sty1e -- and considering a large portion of the game will be in 2D, I prefer it.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
That trailer was cool, but I can't shake my skepticism about this game.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

It looks like a cinematic experience interrupted by a little bit of game play.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

chris3116

You have to remember that if you put the wiimote's pointer in front, you'll be in 1st person like Metroid Prime. It will not be always in sideways.

It's just not the same. You can't move in first person mode so I don't see the point of it.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

It's been 16 years sicne Samus was in 3rd person. I like the prime series but it was starting to grow stale. Glad to see Nintedno reinventing the series and not sticking with the same formula over and over like some other franshises. Hopefully this game lives up to its predisesors.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i wish i could watch this from work :(
Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

That was an awesome trailer. I can't wait to play this game.

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

It's been 16 years sicne Samus was in 3rd person.

jdc6305

Just to let you know, there already was a sequel to Super Metroid and an enhanced remake of the first game, lol...

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

[QUOTE="chris3116"]

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

psychobrew

It's just not the same. You can't move in first person mode so I don't see the point of it.

Right. This could pose a problem. I was reading a preview in Gamepro (I think it was Gamepro) and this was one of the complaints with the game. Some boss fights will require you to fire missles which can only be done while in the first person perspective. The problem is when you switch to first person you can no longer move which presents targeting issues for moving bosses and leaves you a dead duck insofar as dodging incoming fire is concerned. I am sure Nintendo would not allow a broken concept like that to ship in a game but I am at a loss as to how they plan on working around that. It will be interesting to read the reviews when the game is released.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="chris3116"]

Euaggelistes

Right. This could pose a problem. I was reading a preview in Gamepro (I think it was Gamepro) and this was one of the complaints with the game. Some boss fights will require you to fire missles which can only be done while in the first person perspective. The problem is when you switch to first person you can no longer move which presents targeting issues for moving bosses and leaves you a dead duck insofar as dodging incoming fire is concerned. I am sure Nintendo would not allow a broken concept like that to ship in a game but I am at a loss as to how they plan on working around that. It will be interesting to read the reviews when the game is released.

ive been thinking about this for awhile, and those were my exact thoughts. well we will just have to wait and see what ill happen with this game. im still getting this day 1, the name metroid in the title in enough to convince me :D.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="chris3116"]

i dont think is a problem whatsoever. The game is designed for the controls. That m eans that the bosses are tailored to give you a window of oportunity long enough to aim and fire before you can get hit and move again.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath
^Pretty much, like all Metroid games the bosses will be pattern recognition and like all Metroid games if you don't adhere to the pattern you take damage, So if you go into first person right as the boss is set to charge you, its not really the the fault of the controls now is it. Look at the purple blob thing that has been shown so much, you go into first person as the arms freeze, it cant move when that happens, If you go into first while its swinging its arms around, well you getting hit is on you.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Jelley0

Because "Sakamoto wanted to make a 3D action game that could be played with a single Wii remote. The concept was 'the latest in gameplay with the simplest of controls.'" - Team Ninja leader Yosuke Hayashi

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=131592

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
has anyone found one with translation? or a translation? thx

[QUOTE="Jelley0"]

Euaggelistes

and I did not know we were no using the nunchuck :? .. thx.. :P
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts
This has some of the worst looking environments in any metroid game I've ever seen. I don't know about this one.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

This is the kinda BS restriction I hate Nintendo for ..in this case Sakamoto. Why restrict the control to a single wiimote?...if this comes a failure Im sure majority will be quick to jump down Team Ninja's throat for it...but no blame to Nintendo or Sakamoto.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sepewrath

This is the kinda BS restriction I hate Nintendo for ..in this case Sakamoto. Why restrict the control to a single wiimote?...if this comes a failure Im sure majority will be quick to jump down Team Ninja's throat for it...but no blame to Nintendo or Sakamoto.

superbuuman
It wont be a failure so there will be no need. Why people are so obsessed with using the nunchuk is beyond me, its a 2D game, you don't need analog controls for a 2D game. All the analog stick would do, is work like a Dpad.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

It's been 16 years sicne Samus was in 3rd person.jdc6305

fusion (2002) and zero mission (2004) say hi

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
still want the GF marine design from the prime series :( but the second part of the video is epic. i love it :D
Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]still want the GF marine design from the prime series :( but the second part of the video is epic. i love it :D

Pretty much. I don't like the GF design in this game compared to Prime, but oh well.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]still want the GF marine design from the prime series :( but the second part of the video is epic. i love it :D

Pretty much. I don't like the GF design in this game compared to Prime, but oh well.

that design was awesome. still think they deserved their own game.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

Why people are so obsessed with using the nunchuk is beyond me, its a 2D game, you don't need analog controls for a 2D game. All the analog stick would do, is work like a Dpad. Sepewrath

Because it is not all 2D. There are 3D spaces. Here's what Jeff Gerstmann said on his preview (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/metroid-other-m-hands-on-no-nunchuks-allowed/1887/)...

My time with the demo started with the initial shock of sitting down in front of a TV and seeing that there was nothing hooked up to the Wii Remote. No Nunchuk. No ****c Controller, no MotionPlus... and yeah, no steering wheel, either, thanks for asking. You primarily play Other M by holding the Wii Remote sideways, like an NES controller. This is the part where you start to think "oh, hey, they're making New Super Metroid Bros. Wii" or something like that. But no, the game is fully polygonal and fully rendered. Some areas may look like you're trapped in a side-scroller, but others offer full depth and movement along three axes. The camera will change perspective to give you different views of the action, depending on where you are.

Of course, those also means that you can only really move in eight directions, thanks to the Wii's digital pad, and you don't have direct speed control like you'd have with an analog stick. That really took some getting used to and it's probably the most interesting design decision in the entire game. I say "interesting" because I haven't been able to decide if I like it or not. When was the last time you assumed control of a character in 3D space without an analog stick?Jeff Gerstmann

I would hate controlling Samus with the D-pad. My thumb is already hurting just thinking about it. I want an option for using the nunchuk.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 haziqonfire
Jeff Gerstmann and the GiantBomb guys in general don't play the Wii often. I love those guys, but theres no denying they barely play the Wii. Read something from someone like Jeremy Parish from 1UP, who does play the Wii and generally like Nintendo franchises, he gives honest opinions. His preview really sums up the controls nicely, from there you can judge whether or not they sound good.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Jeff Gerstmann"]My time with the demo started with the initial shock of sitting down in front of a TV and seeing that there was nothing hooked up to the Wii Remote. No Nunchuk. No ****c Controller, no MotionPlus... and yeah, no steering wheel, either, thanks for asking. You primarily play Other M by holding the Wii Remote sideways, like an NES controller. This is the part where you start to think "oh, hey, they're making New Super Metroid Bros. Wii" or something like that. But no, the game is fully polygonal and fully rendered. Some areas may look like you're trapped in a side-scroller, but others offer full depth and movement along three axes. The camera will change perspective to give you different views of the action, depending on where you are.

Of course, those also means that you can only really move in eight directions, thanks to the Wii's digital pad, and you don't have direct speed control like you'd have with an analog stick. That really took some getting used to and it's probably the most interesting design decision in the entire game. I say "interesting" because I haven't been able to decide if I like it or not. When was the last time you assumed control of a character in 3D space without an analog stick?canadianloonie

I would hate controlling Samus with the D-pad. My thumb is already hurting just thinking about it. I want an option for using the nunchuk.

the controls in 3D spaces feel a bit stiff at first, but they're easy to get used to., i played prince of persia (the 2008 reboot) with WASD and it wasn't bad. people are overreacting.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sepewrath

Because it is not all 2D. There are 3D spaces

canadianloonie

If you look at the video's, yeah the game is in 3D and there is depth, but Samus moves automatically through it. That purple blob thing is a good example, its in 3D space but you move in 2D. Samus makes the adjustment to the depth automatically, so even if you were using the analog stick, it would work just like the Dpad. She's not running in circles or anything, that section sort of reminds me of an old school top down shooter, it looks like 3D but its not. Another thing you see when she goes into first person and explores and finds little paths, she adjust to them. You don't actually have to move in 3D space with the Dpad.

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

Jeremy didn't really mention anything about the d-pad except that you don't need it for wall jumps.

Given the fast pace nature of the game, d-pad is far from ideal. Take a look at the boss at 2:50-2:55 of the video above. Samus has full 3D movement. I hate to be fighting that thing using the d-pad.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sepewrath
That's what I'm saying to you, she is not moving in 3D, she is simply dodging in 3D. You are not moving her there, like Bruno said, I think people have to adjust to a 3D space where your not really moving in 3D. Your so use to when in 3D, running in circles, this game doesn't appear to have that kind of 3D, it looks kind of similar to LBP in the fact that it just use depth. Like Bruno correct me if I'm wrong, but when I look at that boss fight, what i see is if Samus runs in a circle there because the screen turns, but your in fact running on a rail, like a 2D game.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrunoBRS
That's what I'm saying to you, she is not moving in 3D, she is simply dodging in 3D. You are not moving her there, like Bruno said, I think people have to adjust to a 3D space where your not really moving in 3D. Your so use to when in 3D, running in circles, this game doesn't appear to have that kind of 3D, it looks kind of similar to LBP in the fact that it just use depth. Like Bruno correct me if I'm wrong, but when I look at that boss fight, what i see is if Samus runs in a circle there because the screen turns, but your in fact running on a rail, like a 2D game. Sepewrath
the purple boss is in 2D/pseudo 3D, like you described, but yes, there are parts where you'll move in full 3 dimensions. thing is, IT WORKS. you won't be needing demon's souls precision when moving in 3D, the Dpad is more than enough.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#49 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

wavebeam and other classics return...NICE. cant wait.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sepewrath

wavebeam and other classics return...NICE. cant wait.

chex81
It makes sense story wise, she got a lot of her abilities in Super Metroid and in this game, you don't lose them. You just don't use them.