New info on The Grinder

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 0

#51 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I honestly can't think of any real reason for this to be multiplatform. As a Wii exclusive it made sense since it's clearly trying to ape Left 4 Dead on the Xbox 360 and PC, but as a multiplatform title I just don't see it performing well at all on the next-gen consoles or the PC. Co-op games are a dime a dozen for the 360. I have Halo 3, Halo: ODST and Gears of War and it's sequel from MS alone, not counting third party games, but every shooter is offering this kind of gameplay in some mode: Horde for one, and Left 4 Dead is really pushing the mode. Meanwhile Borderlands is taking on unique risks for the genre, and I can't believe that someone would throw in a game like this into that ring.

I just don't see it as making any sense that this game is going to be multiplatform. If these guys actually made the Conduit as more than just a generic shooter than it would have done well. But seeing them not really capitalize on the Conduit it makes me think that they would have learned a few lessons that they could have applied to The Grinder. Honestly, if this ended up being a genuine, top-tier shooter that was exclusive for the Wii I honestly think that it would have sold better than a multiplatform title that's going to have a tough time competing against the likes of Halo, Gears, Killzone, Left 4 Dead, Half-Life, Call of Duty, etc. If the developers had a better track record I wouldn't be as worried, but The Grinder had a lot of potential to really open up the shooter market for the Wii. Metroid and two Call of Duty ports won't be enough. At least Red Steel 2 looks promising as a cool shooter.

A 2011 release may help it avoid Halo: Reach this year, but who's to say that Gears of War, Call of Duty and Resistance won't make a showing in 2011, but if memory serves correctly, a Halloween release in 2011 is cutting it very close to Crysis 2, and very possibly, Valves next Half-Life installment as well, which will also be multiplatform.

I don't care much what system the game plays best on or anything like that, it was a safe bet as a Wii exclusive and as a multiplatform game it has just walked into the slaughterhouse.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#52 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I like the characters. And if the games goes multiplat most likely it will do so to balance their investment, but I still don't see it as the million seller they are looking for. In any case I expect the Wii version to be good enough as I already have this in my tracking list and I hope to add it to my library, right next to The Conduit Regards
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

the multiplatform idea is the best thing for them, they' should've been doing it from the get go

this should fare well as a PSN, XBLA release, and on steam (for a DD game)

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I honestly can't think of any real reason for this to be multiplatform. As a Wii exclusive it made sense since it's clearly trying to ape Left 4 Dead on the Xbox 360 and PC, but as a multiplatform title I just don't see it performing well at all on the next-gen consoles or the PC. Co-op games are a dime a dozen for the 360. I have Halo 3, Halo: ODST and Gears of War and it's sequel from MS alone, not counting third party games, but every shooter is offering this kind of gameplay in some mode: Horde for one, and Left 4 Dead is really pushing the mode. Meanwhile Borderlands is taking on unique risks for the genre, and I can't believe that someone would throw in a game like this into that ring.

I just don't see it as making any sense that this game is going to be multiplatform. If these guys actually made the Conduit as more than just a generic shooter than it would have done well. But seeing them not really capitalize on the Conduit it makes me think that they would have learned a few lessons that they could have applied to The Grinder. Honestly, if this ended up being a genuine, top-tier shooter that was exclusive for the Wii I honestly think that it would have sold better than a multiplatform title that's going to have a tough time competing against the likes of Halo, Gears, Killzone, Left 4 Dead, Half-Life, Call of Duty, etc. If the developers had a better track record I wouldn't be as worried, but The Grinder had a lot of potential to really open up the shooter market for the Wii. Metroid and two Call of Duty ports won't be enough. At least Red Steel 2 looks promising as a cool shooter.

A 2011 release may help it avoid Halo: Reach this year, but who's to say that Gears of War, Call of Duty and Resistance won't make a showing in 2011, but if memory serves correctly, a Halloween release in 2011 is cutting it very close to Crysis 2, and very possibly, Valves next Half-Life installment as well, which will also be multiplatform.

I don't care much what system the game plays best on or anything like that, it was a safe bet as a Wii exclusive and as a multiplatform game it has just walked into the slaughterhouse.

NeonNinja

but this is why it makes sense, if it sells say, 200k on each platform (all 4) then they've made 800k sales total

they're going for 70 million customers + PC users not just the limited market for FPS of the Wii's 67 million users

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

I'm extremely disappointed that it is going multiplatform.....SEGA, anyone?

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

darth-pyschosis

but this is why it makes sense, if it sells say, 200k on each platform (all 4) then they've made 800k sales total

they're going for 70 million customers + PC users not just the limited market for FPS of the Wii's 67 million users

Well you have to take into account production costs, which are higher on the HD consoles. I don't know how much of a profit they are trying to project for The Grinder, but lets say they needed to sell 1.5 million total units, in order to compensate for the higer cost of production on HD consoles and an unusually costly Wii production. So if they only sell 800,000 units (in a years time) across 4 platforms, then that's bad. But like I said I don't know what numbers they want. Heck, we all thought The Conduit sold poorly, but according to them--it was 'ok'--ok enough for their other FPS to go multi-platform.

@ Intro64

They never stated if The Grinder was being ported up to the HD consoles. So I'm not sure if they are building the Grinder from the ground up for HD systems or if its's being up converted. Well technically in that scenario the only system getting a 'port' would be the PS3, as usually the 360 is the lead platform for the HD twins in terms of multiplat development.

One thing is for sure, the Wii is the original platform for The Grinder and it is being built from the ground up for the Wii--with motion plus. Since I prefer Wii controls, I'm still getting that version. If I want a game like the Grinder on an HD console, then I'd rather get the next L4D installment.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I don't really think SEGA had an influence on HVS, but who knows really. And I agree, theres no point in placing it on all those platforms, because you'll be able to find better titles anyway.Sepewrath
This definitely seems like the move of a publisher. You know, the whole Wii owners don't buy M rated games, they didn't buy The Conduit, they don't buy non Nintendo games, yada yada. "Make it multiplat or we cant support it" Now its not to say that maybe this wasn't a desire of HVS, but the publisher definitely had to make this call, since thier fitting the bill for development.

Well High Voltage Software did say right after the Conduit released that they wanted to move on to the 360 and PC

LINK

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
screw hvs i buy buy games from sell outs
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

screw hvs i buy buy games from sell outselbert_b_23

Sell out? Really?

You are aware that a lot of people consider Nintendo a sell out this generation.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that IMO the idea of calling a company a sell out is a little naive.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]screw hvs i buy buy games from sell outsJLF1

Sell out? Really?

You are aware that a lot of people consider Nintendo a sell out this generation.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that IMO the idea of calling a company a sell out is a little naive.

last year hvs saying that they want to support the wii with exclusive games that no other dev wants to try to now they are going mliti platform and saying that after they were bragging about how they loved the sales of the conduct and how people loved the game
its_a_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 its_a_username
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

Wait wait wait

So a developer that has not created a good game yet but says it LOVES THE WII is going to show that love by spreading itself thinner with multiplats and somehow deliever on the Wii?

I think High Voltage is now showing it's colors, it talked a good game trying to hook Wii owners and the second they see some scratch they're off to greener pastures.

There is no reason for anyone with a Wii to support them now, all you're doing is helping them leave the Wii faster

Jaysonguy

jasonguy hits the spot again

this is exactly what im thinking

if theres gonna b another version on 360 and ps3 thats probably gonna b better why would i want this 1?

also this is going 2 fail on the 360 cause y would u want this if u have L4D2? let HVS answer my question

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

. :| Obviously the shift to multi-plat has really slowed the Grinder's development down a bit (Most of us were expecting it 2010 I do believe).

More_Dakka

or it could just have to do with a shift in the design of the game? Note the teaser doesn't show a SINGLE fps view. My money is on this game fully becoming the spiritual successor to Hunter, only instead of overhead views, it will be a third person behind the back view.