Midnight release for Wii U @ Gamestop?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 illmatic8582
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts

Is there going to be a midnight release for the Wii U? I was really looking forward to it and I hear that gamestop mght not have one.

Katsumic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Katsumic
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

Gamestop midnight launches are not franchise-wide, so you will have to check with your local gamestop. The one near my house is not having one, but the bigger gamestop about 30mins away is going to. Just call them up and ask :)

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Mine said no, they are only getting like 5 systems
Philosopho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Philosopho
Member since 2012 • 86 Posts
It happens at a bad time for them according to our local shop, end of one two week pay period and the start of another that night. So they decided to just open early Sunday for the people with reserves.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I asked my local Gamestop a couple weeks ago, and they didn't know if they were doing it at the time. I'll give them a call later this week to make sure. I'd rather pick it up at midnight just to get it over with.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Yea my gamestop isn't doing one, nor are any in town and I'm in a fairly big city. It's very upsetting. Mine isn't even opening early on Sunday, at all. Bothers me because It doesn't seem like they're taking the first next-gen console very seriously from the get go. You've got at least 20 customers per store that will buy a system and possibly accessories they can profit from but apparently they aren't that important to have 1-2 hours of labor dedicated to them. And having worked at GS before I know the whole no "midnight launches on a saturday" is BS. We always clocked out at 11:58pm, clocked back in at 12:01am (or simply adjusted our hours the next day) and the hours after 12:01am simply went towards your next check since the pay period ends on Saturday nights. I'm really hoping they change their minds on this one, but I doubt it.
illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 illmatic8582
Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to me
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to meillmatic8582

Too late for kids to stay up

Casuals don't see a point going out at midnight for a new console.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#9 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

call and ask but id advise you that theyll only sell to those who already preordered the ones on the wait list are gonna have to wait!

so as long as you preordered yours dont worry but ya call and ask your gamestop

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

The store where mine is preordered are having a midnight release, all the ones here did the same thing for the 3DS last year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to meJaysonguy

And what makes you think its the kids and casuals who are holding these preorders in the first place, and not the enthusiasts?
thuglove2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thuglove2005
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

they are not at my gamestop I hate that very upset no wiiu love

thuglove2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thuglove2005
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

they are not at my gamestop I hate that very upset no wiiu love

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

AHAHA! I'll be going to Nintendo World to get mine at midnight! :twisted:

illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 illmatic8582

That's B.S. they have midnight release for just about every game but not for a console? I was really looking forward to doing the midnight release, last midnight release I went to was for the Dreamcast 9/9/99

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

does anyone know how long gamestop.com will ship my wii u

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to medarkspineslayer

And what makes you think its the kids and casuals who are holding these preorders in the first place, and not the enthusiasts?

Because he's jaysonguy, he's the troll that knows everything.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to medarkspineslayer

Because I've seen lines from all over and it's got casuals and parents getting stuff for their kids.

That's why Nintendo always releases their stuff on Sundays.

Real adults need to work and kids have school during the week, Sunday launches make the core Nintendo user able to get their products easily.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Because I've seen lines from all over and it's got casuals and parents getting stuff for their kids.

Real adults need to work and kids have school during the week, Sunday launches make the core Nintendo user able to get their products easily.

So nothing concrete or remotely related then?
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

My local gamestop/EB games isn't and they had the highest pre-order rate in their district. They never do mid night launches for Nintendo products. Not even Smash Bros. Brawl which had a huge lineup from opening to late into the afternoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Jaysonguy

You don't make sense. Do you realize how dumb you sound?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] And what makes you think its the kids and casuals who are holding these preorders in the first place, and not the enthusiasts?Heirren

Not too sure if you understand we're talking about Nintendo........

You know they have Sunday launches for all their stuff right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

That doesn't mean much in the question you were asked. Where did these kids get $300? Those preorders disappeared awfully quick to have been snapped up by parents who were likely, seeing the huge advertising campaign on the thing, unaware the console even existed. I won't argue that children and casuals are a huge portion of Nintendo's audience. But they weren't the ones who ran out to grab those pre-orders.
jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 jayd02
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to meillmatic8582

If they don't have enough to give out.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jayd02

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] You don't make sense. Do you realize how dumb you sound?darkspineslayer

That doesn't mean much in the question you were asked. Where did these kids get $300? Those preorders disappeared awfully quick to have been snapped up by parents who were likely, seeing the huge advertising campaign on the thing, unaware the console even existed. I won't argue that children and casuals are a huge portion of Nintendo's audience. But they weren't the ones who ran out to grab those pre-orders.

I agree.

Philosopho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Philosopho
Member since 2012 • 86 Posts

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to mejayd02

If they don't have enough to give out.

Well yeah, that too. More than half the people in line wouldn't have a reserve, and would just be clogging up the line. Better to just open early the next morning after text alerts are sent out to reserved customers to come get their system.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] You don't make sense. Do you realize how dumb you sound?darkspineslayer

jasonyXD...

naveedlife got xd pretty bad too a few days ago by superflakeman.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

WTH?

Where do the kids get 300 dollars?

Christmas is right around the corner.

I don't know how in the know you are of casuals but stuff like this? They eat it up and kids have been making Christmas lists since July.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jayd02

Jaysonguy

WTH?

I don't know how in the know you are of casuals but stuff like this? They eat it up and kids have been making Christmas lists since July.

True, true but they ask for it but don't get it until Christmas...

They don't know that they are getting it until Christmas.

The parents dish out the money and gamers who want it dish out the money, not little kids with no money. Child labor laws and such are in effect so they can't work for it.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] That doesn't mean much in the question you were asked. Where did these kids get $300? Those preorders disappeared awfully quick to have been snapped up by parents who were likely, seeing the huge advertising campaign on the thing, unaware the console even existed. I won't argue that children and casuals are a huge portion of Nintendo's audience. But they weren't the ones who ran out to grab those pre-orders.jayd02

WTH?

The parents dish out the money and gamers who want it dish out the money, not little kids with no money. Child labor laws and such are in effect so they can't work for it.

Yeah but Nintendo does Sunday launches for everything.

The console itself is being bought mainly for children at Christmas but the games aren't out of the realm of kids who have an allowance.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jayd02

[QUOTE="jayd02"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

WTH?

Jaysonguy

The console itself is being bought mainly for children at Christmas but the games aren't out of the realm of kids who have an allowance.

Kids young enough to still get an allowance are going to ask for the Wii U as a christmas present and their parents are going to get it for them. If they are young enough to get an allowance I'm also pretty sure that their parents won't let them sit out all night to get a game console.

illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 illmatic8582
Why do people believe kids play Nintendo? Kid's do not play Nintendo, kids play xbox 360. They play Gears and COD. Don't believe me? Play one of these games online and you will see where all the kids are. I think more adults buy Nintendo products because of nostalgia. People 30yrs + grew up on Mario, Zelda etc. That's why Nintendo 1st party titles sell, not really anything else. They might make that mini game shovelware B.S., but the only people who buy it are the 30yrs+ gamers buying it for their children.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
They may also not be having one because, they most likely had one for COD earlier this week, may be a lot of preparation for two midnight launches in one week, or it could be because the store doesn't like Nintendo, a talked to a guy at my local Gamestop who said they didn't have a midnight launch for 3DS, because the manager is not a fan of Nintendo. I don't shop there anymore.
mrmoeone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrmoeone
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts

[QUOTE="illmatic8582"]Why would they not do a midnight release? This makes no sense to meJaysonguy

your a damn hater man why do u even get on the wii forums :roll:

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="jayd02"]

jayd02

Kids young enough to still get an allowance are going to ask for the Wii U as a christmas present and their parents are going to get it for them. If they are young enough to get an allowance I'm also pretty sure that their parents won't let them sit out all night to get a game console.

1. You've never sat out for a console because they're there.

2. They preorder

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AutoPilotOn
My gfs brother knew plenty of kids at his school 12/13 year olds that went to blackops2 midnight on school night.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
My gfs brother knew plenty of kids at his school 12/13 year olds that went to blackops2 midnight on school night. AutoPilotOn
Yeah, there are many more kids that are at the COD launches than who would got to the Wii U launch, I don't care what some people say but there are people who play the Wii in my Universities commons area. Nintendo is very popular at y University.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#38 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Mine usually doesn't.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
The GameStop where I preordered is doing a midnight launch. They said that I should be getting a text message from them a few days before the launch with some more details. I'm assuming the same messages they send you for game preorders.
jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jayd02

[QUOTE="jayd02"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

1. You've never sat out for a console because they're there.

2. They preorder

I love how you think you know me. I actually waited 12 hours outside waiting for my Wii. Yes I'm pretty sure if they preorded they will just get it the day it releases and not wait. Also if the kids are going to wait, their parents are going to be right there with them. I saw that happen for the Halo 4 release and the parents looked pissed.

Somebody also said that Nintendo is popular at University's; I would agree. I see a lot of people playing Wii's in dorms and around on campus.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#42 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

Toxic-Seahorse

This is hilarious. I've seen jaysonguy troll the 360 forums for years now and any time anyone says anything bad about Microsoft, he finds ways to defend Microsoft/Xbox at all costs. It's truly unbelievable.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="MaddenBowler10"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] And what makes you think its the kids and casuals who are holding these preorders in the first place, and not the enthusiasts?

This is hilarious. I've seen jaysonguy troll the 360 forums for years now and any time anyone says anything bad about Microsoft, he finds ways to defend Microsoft/Xbox at all costs. It's truly unbelievable.

I really don't understand what he gets out of it. My only guess is that he stays here because other forums have stricter rules.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

My local Gamestop told me they are not doing a midnight release for security reasons. My area is not a bad area, but there are tons of hobos walking around at all times of the day. And it's not a huge location, kind of tucked away in a strip mall. I don't blame them really. Those extra 9 hours I have to wait will just be spent sleeping anyway.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

it safer to pick up games during the day anyway. you never know who's waiting the dark in parking lots

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

The GameStop I'm going to hadn't yet heard from corporate whether or not they could do a midnight launch. This was yesterday afternoon.

Sadly, the manager didn't seem optimistic.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AutoPilotOn
My gs isn't even opening early. Gotta wait till 11 :( and I owe 43 cents lol
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jaysonguy

it safer to pick up games during the day anyway. you never know who's waiting the dark in parking lots

Celsius765

The same people who are there during the day.

During the holiday season most crimes happen during store hours

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

My gs isn't even opening early. Gotta wait till 11 :( and I owe 43 cents lol AutoPilotOn

plus tax

avronchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 avronchris
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I called their head offices and spoke to one of the morons they have working at the place. One lady laughed at me because I was angry because I was lied to and another told me that a midnight release is based on "Interest". They don't think that selling out country wide makes something interesting enough to the public that they should follow through with a release date. I asked the guy to give me the location of one that was doing a midnight release and he put me on hold even though I asked him not to and then came back to state that no Gamestop would be doing a midnight release and that the company doesn't feel that there is enough interest to support a midnight release. He told me that they make very little money off of console sales so they cannot justify doing a midnight release even though it is advertised on their website as well as in each individual store with a countdown clock that seems to end at midnight eastern time tonight. I noticed today they have removed the countdown clock from their website that was there yesterday. There should still be some hours left on it but instead it says now available. Which in turn is also false advertising. I went into the store and canceled all of my non-Wii U pre-orders and informed them I would take my business somewhere that I am appreciated as a customer and I wish every real gamer would do the same to send this company a message. I personally don't like to be lied to. I was told the day I pre-ordered my Wii U that they would be having a midnight release. I am a power-up rewards member and I paid my Wii U off at the time of purchase. I have spent thousands of dollars in their store this year alone and this is how they treat their customers. There are other stores that do pre-orders on games and consoles. I plan to take my money to someone that will appreciate me as a customer. It's not just the fact that they aren't doing a midnight release but the fact that I was told they were going to do one and then rudely told they weren't by someone over the phone. Not to mention laughed at by what could only be a non-gamer old woman. If enough people go in and cancel pre-orders it might bring about a change. Yesterday I broke the store with the refund I got back. They had to close to go to the bank to get more money before they could open back up. I had games reserved up till May of next year.