'Me Too' Versions of Games? No Thanks, You've Got The Wrong Console.

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

A common theme I've been seeing here on the Wii boards has been bothing me for a while now and I haven't had time to address it until now. Its the fact that many Wii owners want 'Me Too' version's of software that is available on other platforms. Honestly, I'm really sick of people complaining about not getting these 'big named' titles on the Wii and I've decided to make this thread.

Over the past few months I've seen things like "Street Fighter IV for Wii?" "Resident Evil 5 for Wii?" "Dead Space for Wii?" (Before Extraction was announced), "Assassin's Creed for Wii?"

I've heard it all -- and really, I question why? Why do people want these "Me Too" versions of games? The reason I call them "Me Too" is because that is exactly what they will be -- ports that don't work well, that do not take advantage of the consoles hardware assets and games that, when compared to the consoles they were intended for, look laughable.

A game like Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles is much more welcomed for me than a port of Resident Evil 5. Why? Simple. It will take what the Wii is good at and expanding on it, without losing anything in translation -- Wii has already proved to be the platform for rail shooters. It has also proved to be a platform where recgonized band names (like the Resident Evil name) will sell well.

So I question why many of you complain that the Wii is not getting these games. You honestly want inferior ports? You want games that do not fully take advantage of the Wii's unique capabilities?

Basically, this is what I get out of it.

People want so desperately the Wii to be a clone of the other platforms.

The Wii is a console based off of the idea to be unique, to take risks, to get indie developers to make new, unique IPs or take established IPs and re-invent/mix up the formula. It is a console that can give you access to doing all these, without suffering a loss, due to its relatively cheaper development costs.

So I ask you -- Why did you buy the Wii? I honestly think many of you bought it for the wrong reasons. It's not a clone of the other two consoles.

Its a console that encourages creativity, uniqueness and risk taking -- it is not an 'upgrade' of the previous generation.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

And that was Haziqonfire for you.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
i bought a wii to experience new ways to play games. the only problem is, is that all the games that are worth playing are on other consoles lol
KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts

I agree with everything you said. Wii owners should get an PS3 or 360 if they havent already;).

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

The only reason why (i think) people buy the Wii is because of the motion controls andnothing else.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 garrett_duffman

I agree with everything you said. Wii owners should get an PS3 or 360 if they havent already;).

KingBowser91
...or devs should take the wii more seriously and put effort into making games for US. if they put half as much effort into dead rising wii than they did RE5, then dead rising wii would be a good freaking game. its not OUR fault devs make better games for the other system. we are gamers and we have wants and needs just like 360 and PS3 gamers do. devs are feeding us leftover scraps when there is still a roast on the table
KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KingBowser91

The only reason why (i think) people buy the Wii is because of the motion controls andnothing else.

blangenakker
Dont forget the 1st party games;)
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

That was a good argument. I think you're partially right, and here's why.

Yes, we shouldn't want watered down ports of games because let's be honest, that is what we'll get. However, there are some of these titles that, if they were built ground up for the Wii as opposed to being ported down, then they may be welcomed.

Like for example, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition worked extremely well, and actually controls a heck of a lot better than Resident Evil 5 does. So, if the developers had put time and effort into a version for us, the game may have worked extremely well. I don't want to get shafted with a Rail shooter. And not that we are getting shafted, but that's what it feels like.

So yeah, I agree. When you purchased a Wii you knew what you were getting into. But that's not to say certain games should be avoided altogether because of the risk of "poor ports". Sometimes those ports may be really good or at least have the potential to be.

But I do agree whole-heartedly on one thing. If you own a Wii, stop complaining. You knew what you got yourself into.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garrett_duffman
If you own a Wii, stop complaining. You knew what you got yourself into.sonic_spark
... if people got wiis EXPECTING watered down ports and crappy on-rails shooters we wouldnt have a problem, now would we?
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

A very good post sir Haziq and I do quite agree. If you're buying a Wii and you're asking why it doesn't have RE5 or SF4 then you bought the wrong console. Don't expect big named titles that will either translate poorly or be inferior to the others and start looking into the smaller titles like Muramasa, Arc Rise, LKS, whatever which we're getting and it's your fault, not the Wiis, if none of these peak your interest.

wescash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 wescash
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

I bought wii because I have always been a Nintendo fan and I know that the wii wouldn't disappoint me. While I do get jealous when great games come out for the other consoles, I remind myself that the wii has its share of games that the other consoles don't. Xbox and PS3 don't have Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Metroid, No More Heroes, Madworld, and the list goes on. If all consoleshad the same games it wouldn't be very interesting.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"] If you own a Wii, stop complaining. You knew what you got yourself into.garrett_duffman
... if people got wiis EXPECTING watered down ports and crappy on-rails shooters we wouldnt have a problem, now would we?

Haha, you got me there. What i meant was, you could not expect huge graphical pieces (whether they are a good game or not) to go on a system with lower specs. So certain games have avoided the system, and this could've been expected.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="KingBowser91"]

garrett_duffman
...or devs should take the wii more seriously and put effort into making games for US. if they put half as much effort into dead rising wii than they did RE5, then dead rising wii would be a good freaking game. its not OUR fault devs make better games for the other system. we are gamers and we have wants and needs just like 360 and PS3 gamers do. devs are feeding us leftover scraps when there is still a roast on the table

Thats the thing. Dead Rising is a game that was made specifically for the 360, utilizing its hardware to the fullest. Why on earth would you bring it to the Wii, especially considering its hardware limitations? It doesn't matter how much better the control scheme is -- it is not dead rising. Instead they should have gone in the route of Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles -- bring a spin off, or a unique take on the established IP, not a direct, sloppy, embarassing port.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wintry_Flutist

blangenakker
And doesn't this contradict wanting the same games as the PS3/360?
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

I would love to see some of the games that other consoles get built for the Wii. But I'm not interested in a crappy port, and I doubt that anyone else is either. I want a RE5 that's built for Wii's controls and graphics, or a Street Fighter that's built for the Wii, not just an afterthought Wii port. I realize the extra cost of parallel development makes that unlikely in most cases, which is why I don't run around the forums requesting these games. But that doesn't mean a guy can't dream, does it? ;)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I cannot express the love which I am feeling right now

If I was walking by I would give you all of the change in my pocket and then tell others to do the same.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
meh, I dont people want clones of the games you find on other platforms they just want the same effort and respect as gamers that you find on the other consoles. You mention games like Assassins Creed and Dead Space and Resident Evil 5. Do we have to get those exact games in the form of ports of something? No. But we would like more than EA to give us a half version of Dead Space, yeah a quick rail shooter that is really taking advantage of the Wii's capabilities. Or port crazy Capcom who seems like they will port every game they ever made between 1990-1999 to the Wii before all's said and done. Or Ubisoft who hasn't made a real effort on the Wii since Red Steel. So basically what your saying is devs should get a pass for treating Wii owners as second class gamers, your fine with them delivering port after port after port, or taking games with the development time of an annual sports game and riding on the name of an established franchise? So no I don't agree with you at all, people shouldn't have to go buy a PS3 or 360 to get a game that was built with actual effort to appease gamers. Developers should start to deliver the titles of the same quality that they strive to do on the other consoles.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wintry_Flutist
I think a lot of people here are hinding behind the "we just want the same effort on Wii" instead of admitting they want the same games. A "[Insert game here] on Wii?" thread means nothing else other than dying to play this game - and worse, actually, it's asking for an inferior version.
SonicBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 SonicBalla
Member since 2006 • 2610 Posts

Though I know that some people beg for a port because they just don't have the money, Its real obvious that the Ps3 and 360 are very much a like and that the Wii is different so they can't be stupid and expect a decent port.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

This is pretty much what I've been saying all along, so thank you for putting it so well. I will never, ever understand why people seem to want all three consoles to be basically identical.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Well I can assure you one look at my sig would indicate that my argument is no cover story. I have RE5, I have Assassins Creed, I have Dead Space, I have Gears of War 2 and MGS4. So no I do not need to see those games again on the Wii, would I like to see Dead Space on the Wii? Yes. Would I like to pay 50 bucks for something I paid 60 bucks for a couple months ago? No. I would love to see the franchise brought over using the elements that made the game great but a new game, and I said when Dead Space came out, that I would love to play a prequel on the colony. But not as a quick dirty on rails shooter that is simply suppose to capitalize on the IP name. If there was no Dead Space last year there would be no EA made on rails shooter coming out this year. Yeah I know there are some people who do just want ports of these games, but I think there are many like me who wants a quality stealth genre built on the Wii or strong fighters and adventure titles that dont have Nintendo on the box. Alot of us want good games not just good games that are on other consoles.
KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KingBowser91

This is pretty much what I've been saying all along, so thank you for putting it so well. I will never, ever understand why people seem to want all three consoles to be basically identical.

GabuEx
To me the Wii is the most different and thats a good thing because the 360 and PS3 are almost the same software wise. but first party wise PS3>360 and the 360 has technical problems.
JimmyJames210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JimmyJames210
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

Over the past few months I've seen things like "Street Fighter IV for Wii?" "Resident Evil 5 for Wii?" "Dead Space for Wii?" (Before Extraction was announced), "Assassin's Creed for Wii?"

I've heard it all -- and really, I question why? Why do people want these "Me Too" versions of games? The reason I call them "Me Too" is because that is exactly what they will be -- ports that don't work well, that do not take advantage of the consoles hardware assets and games that, when compared to the consoles they were intended for, look laughable.

A game like Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles is much more welcomed for me than a port of Resident Evil 5. Why? Simple. It will take what the Wii is good at and expanding on it, without losing anything in translation -- Wii has already proved to be the platform for rail shooters. It has also proved to be a platform where recgonized band names (like the Resident Evil name) will sell well.

Haziqonfire

On-rails shooter can go to****!

Resident Evil 5 Wii Edition all the way!

Bioshock Wii all the way as well!

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 haziqonfire
Well I can assure you one look at my sig would indicate that my argument is no cover story. I have RE5, I have Assassins Creed, I have Dead Space, I have Gears of War 2 and MGS4. So no I do not need to see those games again on the Wii, would I like to see Dead Space on the Wii? Yes. Would I like to pay 50 bucks for something I paid 60 bucks for a couple months ago? No. I would love to see the franchise brought over using the elements that made the game great but a new game, and I said when Dead Space came out, that I would love to play a prequel on the colony. But not as a quick dirty on rails shooter that is simply suppose to capitalize on the IP name. If there was no Dead Space last year there would be no EA made on rails shooter coming out this year. Yeah I know there are some people who do just want ports of these games, but I think there are many like me who wants a quality stealth genre built on the Wii or strong fighters and adventure titles that dont have Nintendo on the box. Alot of us want good games not just good games that are on other consoles.Sepewrath
Yes, everyone wants quality software. It just seems that when people see we get an on-rails title, instead of the traditional title, its automatically written off. Which goes back to the purpose of this thread.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Haz, it has begun

Have fun nao!

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

JimmyJames210

Well, then you're going to be disappointed to know that if either of those 2 came to the Wii, they'd most likely be inferior let-downs.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I agree 100% with Haziqonfire :D Now, to settle the biggest problem with our current software titles: The New Play Control :evil:
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 haziqonfire

Haz, it has begun

Have fun nao!

Jaysonguy
I are prepared. Dont you worry.
JimmyJames210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JimmyJames210
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="JimmyJames210"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

Lord_Omikron666

Well, then you're going to be disappointed to know that if either of those 2 came to the Wii, they'd most likely be inferior let-downs.

Then those developers will be missing out on some big time cash. There are almost 50 million Wiis across the globe.

They don't need to make it the same, just don't make them rail shooters, because they ****.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sepewrath
I can assure you, if EA had said here's Dead Space, over the shoulder cam, strategic dismemberment, new characters, new story, new weapons, the same gameplay elements but everything else different. They would have gotten a far better reaction than if they had announced a port of last years Dead Space. People want to see certain franchises on the Wii, RE4 was great on the Wii I would love to see another RE in that vein on the Wii. It doesn't have to be RE5, infact its shouldn't be because the co-op nature wouldn't work well on the Wii. Instead we get on rail shooters that just tread over locales of past games, and ports from Capcom. And we all know what the deal is with Extraction, "oh lightgun games work so well on the Wii" all shooters can work well on the Wii, but among the three main styles of shooters FPS, TPS and rails shooter, which one is the easiest to develop? Its easy for people like us with other consoles to go say yeah buy another console, but not everyone can, nor should they have to. I would rather Capcom just shun the Wii instead of pulling the crap that they are right now.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 garrett_duffman
i think, honestly, by NOT asking for these games, we are letting devs get away with the crap they are pulling. you never hear a " wheres the crappy port of ____ for wii?!" you hear " where is ___ for wii?". people dont want watered-down ports, they want the same game, with superior controls. sure it would be watered-down from a technical standpoint, but devs COULD make the games not COMPLETELY inferior if they put the time and effort into these ports. Capcom and RE4 basically lucked out, being one of the best ports on wii, and Twilight Princess for Wii is definately superior than the GC counterpart. granted capcom didn't have to change much about RE4, but it WORKED, and its one of the best wii games to date. the fact of the matter is, is that alot of the exclusives for the wii dont make it worth not getting the PS360 exclusives. Developers just need to get their heads out of their bums and supply our demands
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I don't want ports, I want exclusives. But when they are making these exclusives, I would like them to be from the same genre as the others in their series.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 haziqonfire
I don't want ports, I want exclusives. But when they are making these exclusives, I would like them to be from the same genre as the others in their series.Head_of_games
like I said, you bought the wrong console. The console is built around the basis of doing something new, taking risks, etc. If you want those type of games, you buy the platform they are intended for. As Nintendo have said, the Wii is not in direct competition -- this was expected.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I don't want ports, I want exclusives. But when they are making these exclusives, I would like them to be from the same genre as the others in their series.Head_of_games
so...you're NOT in favor of on-rail shooters?
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]I don't want ports, I want exclusives. But when they are making these exclusives, I would like them to be from the same genre as the others in their series.Haziqonfire
like I said, you bought the wrong console. The console is built around the basis of doing something new, taking risks, etc. If you want those type of games, you buy the platform they are intended for. As Nintendo have said, the Wii is not in direct competition -- this was expected.

On-rails aren't risky and new anymore. They are just the safe way to go when bringing a title to Wii. I'm sorry, but there are too many of those out now. The Wii is perfectly capable of handling proper efforts, they just have to stop trying to compete in graphics. While it's great that there are so many unique games on Wii, I'd like a few more traditional ones for proper variety.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="Head_of_games"]I don't want ports, I want exclusives. But when they are making these exclusives, I would like them to be from the same genre as the others in their series.Head_of_games

On-rails aren't risky and new anymore. They are just the safe way to go when bringing a title to Wii. I'm sorry, but there are too many of those out now. The Wii is perfectly capable of handling proper efforts, they just have to stop trying to compete in graphics. While it's great that there are so many unique games on Wii, I'd like a few more traditional ones for proper variety.

As I said, on a console that encourages uniqueness and creativity, rail shooters are welcome. Why? They are evolving on the Wii. RE:UC, RE:Darkside Chronicles, Dead Space: Extraction are all changing/promising to change the genre -- and its already been proven to work well on the Wii. You should be happy that these are Wii exclusive and cannot be found on the other platforms -- if your a fan of those games, you should looking forward to these as they won't be poor quality titles.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 garrett_duffman

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] like I said, you bought the wrong console. The console is built around the basis of doing something new, taking risks, etc. If you want those type of games, you buy the platform they are intended for. As Nintendo have said, the Wii is not in direct competition -- this was expected.Haziqonfire

As I said, on a console that encourages uniqueness and creativity, rail shooters are welcome. Why? They are evolving on the Wii. RE:UC, RE:Darkside Chronicles, Dead Space: Extraction are all changing/promising to change the genre -- and its already been proven to work well on the Wii. You should be happy that these are Wii exclusive and cannot be found on the other platforms -- if your a fan of those games, you should looking forward to these as they won't be poor quality titles.

Resident Evil in general worked better on wii than on other consoles. theres no excuse.

the problem is is that people are more worried about releasing different kinds of games (which ironically, is getting repetitive), than they are worried about making GOOD games...

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

I think Haziqonfire is a pretty cool guy.

I've said it numerous times, but I completely agree, if I wanted those exact games, I'd get them for the system they were made for. On the topid of Dead Space, while I would have loved a brand new over the shoulder game built for the ground up on the Wii, I'm perfectly happy with a Rail Shooter that embodies the nature of the game, but still allows for a new story and new weapons.

What people don't seem to realize is that doing a whole new game from the ground up and doing it WELL is a much more difficult task than derezzing textures and cramming poorly mapped controls onto a system a game is not meant for.

Why don't people understand that porting IS the easy way out?

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Good topic! i can't agree more

riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts

i think you've got it exactly right haziqon. buying watered down ports just tells developers that we'll buy a game with poor quality, just to get a lesser experience than the game delivers on the system it was designed for. we need more creative ideas, games that were designed to fit on the wii. that's were we've gotten all the top notch games that are out right now for the wii. MP3, MKWii, Brawl, you name em, its tough to find one of those watered down ports that are on the "must own" list. the only one i can think of might be CoD5, and im sure that will be replaced soon with the conduit, simply because the developers spent so much time developing the game to fit perfectly with the wii

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Win thread contains win.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

I couldn't agree more Haziqonfire, well said

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sepewrath
I cant believe all these people are agreeing, all that was said is let the devs get away with half assing it and you all proclaim it the word of the God. Are you serious? Well given that you are all so happy that devs just step over the Wii to get to the PS3 and 360 for real effort and occasionally toss a port or a game riding a name down to you, I hope not to see anymore "But where is teh hardcore!?" because you all basically told the devs what they are doing is right. And what is unique and different and risky about a rail shooter with Resident Evil or Dead Space on the box? Well good luck to you all who are following this nonsense but I'm certainly not on board.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I mostly agree with you, however just for the hell of it I'll put up an argument.

Counter-argument case study: Resident Evil 4.

Resident Evil 4 is thetype ofcore game that many of the people who complain about this kind of stuff want. It's a traditional game that sticks to its genre (well, some RE fans might say otherwise but you know what I mean), and being on Wii makes the experience better. Playing Resident Evil 5 for the first time led to dissapointment as I really missed the Wii control set-up. I'm not saying that I want a port of Resident Evil 5, that is better off on PS3 and Xbox 360 as you argue. But I would still love games similar to the critically and commercially succesfull Resident Evil 4, so it's understandable why I'd be dissapointed with Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. Resident Evil 4 is proof that you can make a traditional game on Wii, better than you could on Xbox 360/PS3 and not have to completly reinvent the game or switch genres.

The best games on Wii are not games that completely rely on Wii's unique abilities. Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4, etc. are all very traditional games, built upon the foundations of older tech. Wii hardware adds an extra edge to these designs that make them great Wii exclusives, so the same can be applied to third party traditional games that people ask for. A Deadspace given the Resident Evil 4 treatment could be very good.

If you port Mario Galaxy over to the Xbox 360, it probably won't be as a good because there's a lot of gameplay geared towards Wii-specific hardware. Same can be said for the opposite with Dead Rising over to the Wii. But that doesn't mean the core designs of each couldn't be developed on each platform independently from the ground up in order to create a different, but still similar product. So yes, I don't want ports of Xbox 360 and PS3 games. But I still wouldn't mind similar games developed with the Wii's strengths and weaknesses in mind.

Just for the record I'm pretty excited for Deadspace Extraction.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 haziqonfire
I cant believe all these people are agreeing, all that was said is let the devs get away with half assing it and you all proclaim it the word of the God. Are you serious? Well given that you are all so happy that devs just step over the Wii to get to the PS3 and 360 for real effort and occasionally toss a port or a game riding a name down to you, I hope not to see anymore "But where is teh hardcore!?" because you all basically told the devs what they are doing is right. And what is unique and different and risky about a rail shooter with Resident Evil or Dead Space on the box? Well good luck to you all who are following this nonsense but I'm certainly not on board.Sepewrath
Its not about 'half assing' it -- its about bringing new development projects to the Wii. I dont want to see a traditional RE game on Wii. I dont want to see a traditional SF game on Wii. I dont want to see a traditional COD game on Wii. I want new interesting experience -- games like Little King's Story, that take what existing games in similar genres have done and expanding on it and making it their own. I'm asking for the same thing -- taking existing properties and expanding on them with new development opportunities, no 'me too' versions.
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts

I mostly agree with you, however just for the hell of it I'll put up an argument.

Counter-argument case study: Resident Evil 4.

Resident Evil 4 is thetype ofcore game that many of the people who complain about this kind of stuff want. It's a traditional game that sticks to its genre (well, some RE fans might say otherwise but you know what I mean), and being on Wii makes the experience better. Playing Resident Evil 5 for the first time led to dissapointment as I really missed the Wii control set-up. I'm not saying that I want a port of Resident Evil 5, that is better off on PS3 and Xbox 360 as you argue. But I would still love games similar to the critically and commercially succesfull Resident Evil 4, so it's understandable why I'd be dissapointed with Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. Resident Evil 4 is proof that you can make a traditional game on Wii, better than you could on Xbox 360/PS3 and not have to completly reinvent the game or switch genres.

The best games on Wii are not games that completely rely on Wii's unique abilities. Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4, etc. are all very traditional games, built upon the foundations of older tech. Wii hardware adds an extra edge to these designs that make them great Wii exclusives, so the same can be applied to third party traditional games that people ask for. A Deadspace given the Resident Evil 4 treatment could be very good.

If you port Mario Galaxy over to the Xbox 360, it probably won't be as a good because there's a lot of gameplay geared towards Wii-specific hardware. Same can be said for the opposite with Dead Rising over to the Wii. But that doesn't mean the core designs of each couldn't be developed on each platform independently from the ground up in order to create a different, but still similar product. So yes, I don't want ports of Xbox 360 and PS3 games. But I still wouldn't mind similar games developed with the Wii's strengths and weaknesses in mind.

Just for the record I'm pretty excited for Deadspace Extraction.

_BlueDuck_

i have to agree with this also, especially the example. i had rather hoped for RE5 to be exclusive on the wii, considering the success of it predecessor on the wii. it could have been upgraded from the GC,in nearlyevery way, and only enhanced with the controls. i had a really tough time going from wii controls back to classic shooter controls on the 360.

i definetely agree that i wantinnovative and creative titles on the wii, and i think this system is definetely best suited for stretching creative boundaries. but i alsoagree that theres nothing wrong with expanding on previous series. MP3 did a fantastic job, as im sure you can agree haziqon, your avatar shows that youseem to be a metroid fan. it would be great if developers could at least follow that example, if they dont feel daring enough totake any risks.

on a slightly reated note, i want creativity from a wii game. strapping on motion controls doesnt count as creativity, and in most cases, it unfortunately dampers theoverall experience.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sepewrath
Little King's Story is Pikmin just instead of lifting rocks and fighting giant bugs you fight dragons and do odd jobs around the town. Yeah its a brave new frontier in gaming, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Not every game that comes out for the Wii has to be groundbreaking and innovative, good is good enough. Its unrealistic and unfair to expect developers to innovate everytime out. Do you know how rarely true innovation ever actually comes along, it has only happened a few times in industry history. There is nothing wrong with a solid traditional RE game the same way there is nothing wrong with Megaman 9 of Super Mario Galaxy which were built in the same vein as previous entries in the franchise. Taking RE and throwing it on rails is not new, its not innovative, its not even a new spin on the series because Capcom made several failed attempts at it on the PS2. Yes it works better on the Wii because of IR but hey it could work just as well on the PC, but its not on the PC. The PC gets mostly the same games as the PS3 and especially the 360 but they also get games like Crysis and Spore and The Sims and whether you like those games or not, you have to admit they are built with care, with effort and with the platforms capabilities in mind. Umbrella Chronicles is basically simple as this, why make a full fledged RE game when a rail shooter is much easier, much less time, much less effort. much less of a financial burden but because it carries the RE name so its still very likely to find success. If rail shooters are such a new and innovative design, where was the outpour of support for the innovative Ghost Squad, or the on rails mode in Medal of Honor? Its very simple, their not.
snipe12388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 snipe12388
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts

Wow. Just wow. I JUST was talking to a friend of mine about this sort of thing. He basically wanted his favorite games, released in HD, with all of the gfx, etc.. of the other two, but on the Wii. I said to him," Keep wishing. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy what Wii has to offer, and take the games as they are, while you whine about what you think they should be."

We cannot expect the Wii to emulate the other systems. If you do, you deserve to be disappointed. Miyamoto once said about the development of Wii :

"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction. Many of our employees initially wanted high-definition graphics. But they agreed with us that graphics wouldn't matter if the games weren't fun to play." Link

Great post, Haz, and I think more Wii owners should just grow up and realize that Nintendo just completely changed how to approach development in the industry. It is no longer about the best hardware, but fun. Word of mouth is the new advertising, and interactivity is being pushed by the motion controls. Games are about being fun. Always have, always will.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

A common theme I've been seeing here on the Wii boards has been bothing me for a while now and I haven't had time to address it until now. Its the fact that many Wii owners want 'Me Too' version's of software that is available on other platforms. Honestly, I'm really sick of people complaining about not getting these 'big named' titles on the Wii and I've decided to make this thread.

So I question why many of you complain that the Wii is not getting these games. You honestly want inferior ports? You want games that do not fully take advantage of the Wii's unique capabilities?

Basically, this is what I get out of it.

People want so desperately the Wii to be a clone of the other platforms.

The Wii is a console based off of the idea to be unique, to take risks, to get indie developers to make new, unique IPs or take established IPs and re-invent/mix up the formula. It is a console that can give you access to doing all these, without suffering a loss, due to its relatively cheaper development costs.

So I ask you -- Why did you buy the Wii? I honestly think many of you bought it for the wrong reasons. It's not a clone of the other two consoles.

Its a console that encourages creativity, uniqueness and risk taking -- it is not an 'upgrade' of the previous generation.

Haziqonfire

Rail shooters suck! You forget about COD World at War, and games like Guitar Hero. I think you are missing the point. People want great games with Wii controls, not great games with crappy controls (other consoles). Now what is wrong with that? I played COD 4 on 360 after playing WAW on the Wii, and it sucked! The controls were a joke. Please, I want these games on the Wii. As for the on rails garbage, please, keep that off my Wii!

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I cant believe all these people are agreeing, all that was said is let the devs get away with half assing it and you all proclaim it the word of the God. Are you serious? Well given that you are all so happy that devs just step over the Wii to get to the PS3 and 360 for real effort and occasionally toss a port or a game riding a name down to you, I hope not to see anymore "But where is teh hardcore!?" because you all basically told the devs what they are doing is right. And what is unique and different and risky about a rail shooter with Resident Evil or Dead Space on the box? Well good luck to you all who are following this nonsense but I'm certainly not on board.Sepewrath

If you want the games that are appearing on the other consoles, why do you own a Wii? This is pretty much exactly what Haziq is talking about: people buy a Wii,but then they want it to be just like the other consoles instead of taking itfor what it is and taking its library for what it is.

You would likely never have seen games like Boom Blox, de Blob, Zack & Wiki on other consoles. That's why I bought a Wii.

Similarly, any incarnations of games for the other consoles would likely suck if they just tried to port them over to the Wii due to its lower hardware specs. That's why I bought a 360.

Games that work on one console don't work on other consoles. That's why we have three consoles instead of one. You're basically wanting the games on the Wii to be the exact same as the games on the other consoles, which just makes no sense at all. Giving the Wii nothing but dumbed down portsof RE5, CoD4, and so on (andthey absolutely would be dumbed down ports - they're not going to make the entire game all over again) would be the real "step[ping] over the Wii to get to the PS3 and 360 for real effort".