Mario Golf has good online, so let's use it!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Edit: Apparently people aren't as familiar with how this game works as I assumed. Mario Golf World Tour has simultaneous online play, but it also lets you host your own tournaments to play asynchronously.

I set up a tournament for our forum. It'll be up until May 9th (Friday) around midnight, and you can play whenever you want and however many times you want.

Mario Golf's UI is incredibly unintuitive, so here's how to enter the tourney:

Quick Round > Tournaments > Private Tournament > Search by Code

The code is

45-0499-1198-0963

If there's enough interest, I'll update this post with a new tournament each week, and it'll be fun and awesome.

Let's-a play!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm tempted to buy this game. How are you enjoying it?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JordanElek

I haven't been able to play much, but it seems like the best Mario Golf game yet in terms of structure - a mix of the straight-golf console versions and the RPG-ish handheld versions.

The gameplay is as good as ever. The best thing about Mario Golf is that it gives you all the information you need to make the shot you want, and the mechanics are such that it forces you to make quick decisions in the middle of some shots to adjust for random elements. It seems so simple on its face, but there's a lot of depth to the shot system.

And online tournaments! I'll probably keep coming back to this game for a long time because of that.

AND it's only $30. You should get it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

In my country, it still has the normal price tag =\ (New Zealand/Australia sucks). Thanks for the info. I really enjoyed Toadstool Tour on the GCN. I especially enjoy the highly themed courses.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#5 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I will join you when I get my copy!

Hopefully I can find one by the end of next week.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Never played any mario golf.

A lot of Mario tennis though.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JordanElek

Nobody has joined. :(

I figured more people would be all about Mario Golf, given the number of years it's been since one of these and given the great reviews.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

I joined, but I didn't want to play right away... so now I'm playing.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pierst179
@JordanElek said:

Nobody has joined. :(

I figured more people would be all about Mario Golf, given the number of years it's been since one of these and given the great reviews.

One of the reasons I am very excited about World Tour is that it has been such a long time since the last Mario Golf game.

I am dying to experience it again!

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pierst179
@JordanElek said:

Most of us have probably played a LOT of Mario Golf over the years, so I figure a Nintendo Forum tournament should garner some pretty awesome competition.

The code is

45-0499-1198-0963

I just got the game and I have been trying to find a place where I can enter that code to locate the tournament, but I can't find anything.

I thought it was somewhere close to the Toads that sign you up for the America and World tournaments but it is not there.

EDIT: Forget about it, I found it and posted a score over there! I think I did well for my first time on Peach Gardens!

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JordanElek

@Pierst179 said:

I just got the game and I have been trying to find a place where I can enter that code to locate the tournament, but I can't find anything.

I thought it was somewhere close to the Toads that sign you up for the America and World tournaments but it is not there.

EDIT: Forget about it, I found it and posted a score over there! I think I did well for my first time on Peach Gardens!

Awesome! I added instructions to the first post because the menus are really poorly designed. I wandered around the Castle Club for about fifteen minutes trying to figure out where I was supposed to go to collect Star Coins to unlock the special courses. I had to google it....

I'm really surprised at how little interest there seems to be for this game in this forum. It's a franchise that's proven to be excellent every time, and this one is probably the best of the bunch due to its options and online play. Maybe people really wanted the couch multiplayer that was so awesome about the N64 and GC games, I don't know.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pierst179
@JordanElek said:

Awesome! I added instructions to the first post because the menus are really poorly designed. I wandered around the Castle Club for about fifteen minutes trying to figure out where I was supposed to go to collect Star Coins to unlock the special courses. I had to google it....

I'm really surprised at how little interest there seems to be for this game in this forum. It's a franchise that's proven to be excellent every time, and this one is probably the best of the bunch due to its options and online play. Maybe people really wanted the couch multiplayer that was so awesome about the N64 and GC games, I don't know.

Yeah, the menus are not good, but there rest of the game is pretty awesome!

It is packed with a lot of awesome content, and the online is great! There are a load of tournaments to do.

I don't even know where to start. I have beaten the three single-player tournaments, now I guess I will focus on online for a bit!

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JordanElek

@Pierst179 said:

I don't even know where to start. I have beaten the three single-player tournaments, now I guess I will focus on online for a bit!

I laughed when I saw the credits after that third tournament. I had literally played four rounds of golf in that mode and BAM, credits.

The Castle Club mode definitely leaves something to be desired. And it could've so EASILY been fixed if they had just put the single-player challenges into Castle Club. It could've been a progression with "quest lines" to unlock the special courses, face other characters in match play to unlock their star versions (or play new characters to unlock them), and other things.

It would've been really fun and engaging, but instead, we get a generally useless area with little to do in that mode with all of the fun stuff relegated to menus.

But at least the fun stuff is actually there. I was afraid we might get another Mario Tennis Open.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

this is getting pathetic, wii u online is very dead...im sorry to say it, but when I had a wii u I couldn't even get 3k people online in call of duty. its a shame because I actually love golf games and know online can be very fun.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pierst179
@JordanElek said:

@Pierst179 said:

I laughed when I saw the credits after that third tournament. I had literally played four rounds of golf in that mode and BAM, credits.

The Castle Club mode definitely leaves something to be desired. And it could've so EASILY been fixed if they had just put the single-player challenges into Castle Club. It could've been a progression with "quest lines" to unlock the special courses, face other characters in match play to unlock their star versions (or play new characters to unlock them), and other things.

It would've been really fun and engaging, but instead, we get a generally useless area with little to do in that mode with all of the fun stuff relegated to menus.

But at least the fun stuff is actually there. I was afraid we might get another Mario Tennis Open.

I was baffled when I saw the credits. I thought "Wait aren't there any tournaments on the nine-hole courses?! Is that it?!". I walked around Castle Club looking for something to do after that and I found nothing except for the practice mini-games which are fun, the "one approach one putt" challenge, and the regional and worldwide tournaments.

But yeah, they should have either put everything on the Castle Club, the best option, or just gone with menus for the whole thing. I see no reason to split the game the way they did. It is sort of a hassle that you can only access the American and Worldwide tournaments through Castle Club instead of being able to get there through the menus.

But yeah, the game is great and it does have a lot of good content, even if it is poorly organized.

Have you tried the close-to-pin tournament they put up today? I am currently ranked for a silver trophy, which seems to be the best I can get. I spent half an hour trying to complete the nine holes of the course without missing the green. =P

@ps4hasnogames said:

this is getting pathetic, wii u online is very dead...im sorry to say it, but when I had a wii u I couldn't even get 3k people online in call of duty. its a shame because I actually love golf games and know online can be very fun.

But the game is on the 3DS. =P

And the online is great! There is a lot going on online. It is hard to keep up with all the tournaments!

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JordanElek

@Pierst179 said:

Have you tried the close-to-pin tournament they put up today? I am currently ranked for a silver trophy, which seems to be the best I can get. I spent half an hour trying to complete the nine holes of the course without missing the green. =P

Yeah. I was in the top 100 when I did it, but that was only an hour or so after it went up, so I'm sure I've been knocked much lower since then. It's a great idea for a tournament since it can be completed so quickly.... if you can get on the green each time. ;p

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pierst179
@JordanElek said:

Yeah. I was in the top 100 when I did it, but that was only an hour or so after it went up, so I'm sure I've been knocked much lower since then. It's a great idea for a tournament since it can be completed so quickly.... if you can get on the green each time. ;p

I kinda of wish they had made the tournaments a one-attempt-only affair. It would make things much more interesting and competitive, not to mention that it would stop people from grinding their scores.

Today I went to play on the communities and had a blast! I am floored at how many customization options they put in there.

I also tried the Toad Highlands stroke play tournament they have got going. I got a score that's good enough for a silver trophy, but since I posted it a little bit too late, the breaking of the ties ended up giving me a bronze award. =/

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JordanElek

Well, thanks for participating, all two of you. :p

I was really expecting more enthusiasm for this game. Oh well.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'll participate when I get the game in June.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Gonna do some research on this game. The last one I played was the one on GC and I just rented it. I enjoyed it a lot and I remember recording the intro on a VHS tape cuz I loved it so much. :P

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JordanElek

@4myAmuzumament: The mechanics are exactly the same in this one, so it's just as fun in that regard. The addition of items makes it even more fun, especially in special challenges like coin collecting because they can be more creatively placed.

And tournaments add a lot of replayability. They're fully customizable so you'll rarely come across the same configuration twice, and they always give you something to do if you want a change from the challenges.