Mario All Stars - I could've done better.

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
What's on the Mario All-Stars Wii disc? Just the SNES Rom. I don't know about you guys, but I could've done better. Here's what I would've done: -Placed all games up to Sunshine. This includes things like Mario Party, Golf, etc. as well as SMAS+Mario World. -OR, instead, I'd post all of the pre-GCN games on the VC invisible to the public, and only downloadable using a code that comes in the box where the disc would've been. -And, the ability to install these to channels. What do you think? I'm still getting it regardless - that game rocks.
Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

I'm still getting it regardlesstjoeb123

This is why Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ass about how you would have done it differently.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

So you wanted to make it worse?

Your ideas no longer make it a classic and help people steal the game

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
I was just coming up with ways they could've utilized a lot more of the disc space, instead of just ~2MB of it.
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

Yeah you could have, and anyone who argues your idea wouldn't be better is joking themselves.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

You're right, I've seen many people do it

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"] I'm still getting it regardlessMetal_Mario99

This is why Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ass about how you would have done it differently.

Pretty much, anyway what your saying TC is completely unrealistic, it would be one thing to ask for all console, main series Mario games, but every Mario game is just ridiculous.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Every Mario game on one disk? Not happening.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Yeah..its a very lazy effort on Nintendo's part.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Every Mario game on one disk? Not happening. TheColbert
I would have done a special edition of New Super Mario Bros. Wii with Super Mario All-Stars + World - then added in Super Mario 64 and the music on a 2nd disk - and make that only available with the Red Wii console.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Your idea isn't very good because it makes potential remakes, ports, and rereleases in the future far less likely to be profitable for Nintendo.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
[QUOTE="TheColbert"]Every Mario game on one disk? Not happening. Stinger78
I would have done a special edition of New Super Mario Bros. Wii with Super Mario All-Stars + World - then added in Super Mario 64 and the music on a 2nd disk - and make that only available with the Red Wii console.

That could be possible. TC had every Mario game ever on one disk(including sports games).
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts
[QUOTE="Metal_Mario99"]

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"] I'm still getting it regardlessSepewrath

Pretty much, anyway what your saying TC is completely unrealistic, it would be one thing to ask for all console, main series Mario games, but every Mario game is just ridiculous.

You know what wouldn't be ridiculous? Maybe, just maybe, they could've given us Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World. This is just pathetic.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

If they just added SMW and Yoshi's island, I would have been satisfied. Maybe Mario 64 as well since it was one of Mario's biggest titles.

BUt whatever, I never got the original All-Stars on the SNES anyways, so I'll get the game for sure.

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
Mario Bros 1 2 3 All Stars World and Yoshis Island. That woulda been cool.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
I would REALLY rather have NPC pikmin 2 and super mario sunshine... and chibi robo... and all the other NPC games that STILL HAVEN'T COME OUT.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
I agree that it is an anti-climactic collection - it resembles one I bought in 1995... It must be for a different audience or newer audience I suppose.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 so_hai

So you wanted to make it worse?

Your ideas no longer make it a classic and help people steal the game

Jaysonguy
If you're such a purist, it seems strange that you don't object to the entire release itself.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="so_hai"]I agree that it is an anti-climactic collection - it resembles one I bought in 1995... It must be for a different audience or newer audience I suppose.

even some of the SNES ones had super mario world... its actually WORSE than the SNES one...
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#20 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

What they should have done was put ALL the Mario Games in the Collection.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

-Super Mario Bros (arcade game)

-Super Mario Bros (nes)

-Lost Levels (nes)

-Super Mario Bros 2 (nes)

-Super Mario Bros 3 (nes)

-Super Mario World (snes)

-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

-Super Mario RPG (snes)

-Super Mario 64

-Super Mario Sunshine (GC)

****I could have seen that happening, realistically, with the exception of maybe Sunshine--because a 3DS version is likely in the works.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
I think it is fine the way it is, but it could have been better.
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
I was just coming up with ways they could've utilized a lot more of the disc space, instead of just ~2MB of it.tjoeb123
LOLOLOL yea i know right freakn money grubbing nintendo, they could have easily put every on it except for the wii mario games I think.
JmanRBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 JmanRBS
Member since 2006 • 394 Posts

So...its a direct port of Mario All-Stars minus Mario World. I am so thrilled. I will pay a lot money for a 17 year old collection of ports. Yep. Fantastic Idea.

I love how they took their time deciding on which Mario games to put on this fantastic disc. I mean really, its so amazing that the wii disc can only hold 4 17 year old SNES games. Its such a wonder how it could fit THAT much.

Go Nintendo! No wonder you have been the top dogs for the past 2 generations! GREAT JOB!

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#25 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

For a 25th anniversary, I'd say its mediocre. I figured they would at least include world, but they didn't. The real selling point is the updated graphics though. I try to play the downloadable versions but the newer tvs blur things, and sometimes display things that weren't meant to appear on screen at all.

Its a real bummer that they couldn't have done better for $30.

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Metal_Mario99

The real selling point is the updated graphics

falconclan

Updated in 1993.

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#27 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

[QUOTE="falconclan"]

Metal_Mario99

Updated in 1993.

Nope, at least not what I read... I could be wrong, but I read somewhere miyamoto looked at the graphics and thought they looked crappy, so they made it crisper, also all the blocks have "25" on them instead of "?".

Is this something else?

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Metal_Mario99

[QUOTE="Metal_Mario99"]

[QUOTE="falconclan"]

falconclan

Updated in 1993.

Nope, at least not what I read... I could be wrong, but I read somewhere miyamoto looked at the graphics and thought they looked crappy, so they made it crisper, also all the blocks have "25" on them instead of "?".

Is this something else?

Yes, that's something else. That's a "special" version of the original Super Mario Bros. that is included on the hard drive of the red 25th Anniversary Wii in Japan. There really isn't any difference between that version of SMB and the original, however, aside from minor cosmetic changes like the "25" on the blocks.

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
I'd like to see graphical update for these games, they've been re-released with the same graphics enough times, make it worth buying over the other ones.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I like your idea TC, or at least have all the "main" Mario games up to Sunshine.

Dick-Gumshoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dick-Gumshoe
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I don't really have any complaints but there's one exception. Where's my Super Mario World?
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 so_hai
[QUOTE="JmanRBS"]

So...its a direct port of Mario All-Stars minus Mario World. I am so thrilled. I will pay a lot money for a 17 year old collection of ports. Yep. Fantastic Idea.

I love how they took their time deciding on which Mario games to put on this fantastic disc. I mean really, its so amazing that the wii disc can only hold 4 17 year old SNES games. Its such a wonder how it could fit THAT much.

Go Nintendo! No wonder you have been the top dogs for the past 2 generations! GREAT JOB!

My copy of Mario All-Stars SNES doesn't have SMW on it. Just 1, 2, 3 and LLs.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

That's a little overboard TC. Would be happy with Yoshi Island or at least something more.

-

I was going to buy this "Limited Edition" but then it sold 300k in one week in Japan and there is nothing resembling "Limited" in 300K.

I'd rather buy the SNES game instead.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="JmanRBS"]

so_hai

My copy of Mario All-Stars SNES doesn't have SMW on it. Just 1, 2, 3 and LLs.

There was a later release that contained SMW as well. There are a lot of them actually.

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
[QUOTE="JmanRBS"]

Technically, 4 17 year old NES games, not SNES :P
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#36 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Yeah, this was my big complaint back when it was announced too. There's no physical reason for not including every single pre-Wii Mario game ever released (including the weird edutainment ones like Mario is Missing) and a couple of his spin-offs. Financially Nintendo would never do it when they can just charge $5-$10 for those games individually on the Virtual Console. It's why they're doing the disc for All-Stars, when according to their pricing it should be an $8 VC download. But add a soundtrack, some pretty packaging, and call it a 'limited' item and crazy people will spend an extra $22 for it. This is the company that brought us NES ports to the GBA at $20 a pop.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#37 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I would have just added both Mario Land games and Yoshis Island to the collection not every title in the franchise.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

It's actually pretty ridiculous what Nintendo have done. It's beyond lazy and anyone that actually buys this should be ashamed of themselves. Lets look at how a good collection is supposed to be. Sonic Mega Collection Plus for example. It contains all four main series Mega Drive games. It contains several Game Gear titles. It contains spin-off Sonic games on the Mega Drive, such as Spinball and Dr Robotniks mean bean machine. It also has Sonic 3D. On top of that it even has Mega Drive titles that have nothing to do with Sonic, such as Ristar, Flicky, Comix Zone and The Ooze. That is how a classic compilation is supposed to be done. But Nintendo knows that to get money out of their fans they dont need to put in any effort. It's laughable that they dont even have the decency to put SMW in there.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 garrett_duffman
the Perfect mario compilations for me would be as follows: Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. 2 (US and JPN) SMB 3 Super Mario Land Super Mario Land 2 Super Mario Land 3 Super Mario World Super Mario World 2 Super Mario 64 Super Mario Sunshine Super Smash Brothers Melee (original isn't THAT necessary)
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DJ_Lae

It's actually pretty ridiculous what Nintendo have done. It's beyond lazy and anyone that actually buys this should be ashamed of themselves. Lets look at how a good collection is supposed to be. Sonic Mega Collection Plus for example. It contains all four main series Mega Drive games. It contains several Game Gear titles. It contains spin-off Sonic games on the Mega Drive, such as Spinball and Dr Robotniks mean bean machine. It also has Sonic 3D. On top of that it even has Mega Drive titles that have nothing to do with Sonic, such as Ristar, Flicky, Comix Zone and The Ooze. That is how a classic compilation is supposed to be done. But Nintendo knows that to get money out of their fans they dont need to put in any effort. It's laughable that they dont even have the decency to put SMW in there.

burgeg
Yeah, the amount of effort they put into those collections is commendable, even if the re-release similar ones every other year. But they do have a somewhat devalued mascot with Sonic, where Mario still rakes in the money for Nintendo. And after all, if people will buy an $8 VC game on a disc for $30, why not?
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

DJ_Lae

Yeah, the amount of effort they put into those collections is commendable, even if the re-release similar ones every other year. But they do have a somewhat devalued mascot with Sonic, where Mario still rakes in the money for Nintendo. And after all, if people will buy an $8 VC game on a disc for $30, why not?

To be fair the collections Sega bring out almost always have a lot of different games. Sonic Gems Collection had completely different games to Mega Collection Plus. Sega Mega Drive Collection shared a few games from SMC+, but had tons of games thay hadn't yet re-released. Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection did have all the games from the previous collection but tons more as well. It actually had 40 plus games compared to the previous collection's 27 or so. The only Sega collection that's felt like a cheap cash-in collection is Sonic Classic Collection on DS, which just released the main Sonic games again, with not so good emulation from what I hear.

What would have been fair of Nintendo would have been to just release the SNES Super Mario All Stars on the Virtual Console for the price of a SNES game. But Nintendo aren't stupid. This might be the fair thing to do for consumers, but it's not the most profitable one. Instead they're overpricing the collection and releasing it as a retail game. Unfortunately people will buy it.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Oh I see the problem here, people think that Nintendo is running a *#*&@# charity

"They could included every Mario game up to the Wii" yeah and then what?

What sense is there to add those games? I really want to hear what possible logic is used to included all the "main" Mario games for 125-150 and then think that it's going to help with everyone getting a piece of the Mario nostalgia. Yeah nothing like taking a console that's got casuals as it's core and making a piece of software three digits, heck even Wii Fit was under that.

People are actually saying "wasting a disc"? Are you kidding me? it's one disc, when I back up my PC I toss away discs if I make a mistake labeling them with my Sharpie and you people are worried that this disc is somehow wasting what exactly? You think you need a certain amount of content to validate having a DVD? YOu only buy games that come close to filling the free space on the disc?

This is a throwback to the single package that was offered in the SNES days and that's it. Some people who don't even know their history are saying "Super Mario World was added too and we don't get it" and for the last freaking time Super Mario World was not redone for this All Stars package because the older Mario games were redone with 16 bit tech, since Mario World was ALREADY 16 bit what does that tell you? The only way to get Super Mario World in an All Stars package was to buy a console and even then it's the same game as the regular one it's just one cart that had the Mario All Stars games plus the option to choose Super Mario World.

What all this boils down to is that people are upset that Nintendo isn't giving things away and if they were in charge they'd give away whatever they wanted to make the people happy because they think that a business isn't about making money

You guys came through loud and clear

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 garrett_duffman

Oh I see the problem here, people think that Nintendo is running a *#*&@# charity

What sense is there to add those games? I really want to hear what possible logic is used to included all the "main" Mario games for 125-150 and then think that it's going to help with everyone getting a piece of the Mario nostalgia. Yeah nothing like taking a console that's got casuals as it's core and making a piece of software three digits, heck even Wii Fit was under that.

People are actually saying "wasting a disc"? Are you kidding me? it's one disc, when I back up my PC I toss away discs if I make a mistake labeling them with my Sharpie and you people are worried that this disc is somehow wasting what exactly? You think you need a certain amount of content to validate having a DVD? YOu only buy games that come close to filling the free space on the disc?

This is a throwback to the single package that was offered in the SNES days and that's it. Some people who don't even know their history are saying "Super Mario World was added too and we don't get it" and for the last freaking time Super Mario World was not redone for this All Stars package because the older Mario games were redone with 16 bit tech, since Mario World was ALREADY 16 bit what does that tell you? The only way to get Super Mario World in an All Stars package was to buy a console and even then it's the same game as the regular one it's just one cart that had the Mario All Stars games plus the option to choose Super Mario World.

What all this boils down to is that people are upset that Nintendo isn't giving things away and if they were in charge they'd give away whatever they wanted to make the people happy because they think that a business isn't about making money

Jaysonguy
once again, jayson is in complete left field. the "wasting of a disk" isn't the physical waste of a disk. the game uses up about 2MB on a 4.38 GB disk. thats 0.045 percent of the disk space used. to compare, make a sandwhich. now, find a way to dissect it into 1,000 pieces, and take four and a half of those crumbs, then throw away the rest of the sandwhich. is that a waste? to you, im sure its not, because you are just naturally contradictory. Also, there were 2 All-Stars on the SNES, and one of them included Super Mario World, the other one was the package that the wii is getting. why the wii one couldn't have Super Mario world is beyond me. why celebrate 25 years, but leave out arguably the best part of the 25 years. The lack of super mario world is unforgivable. AND ANOTHER THING; the game is being sold for 30 dollars. they aren't giving away anything. we could buy all of those games on the Virtual console, or even on the actual systems, for fractions of the cost; hell, you could buy the REAL Super Mario All-Stars, the one WITH super mario world, for about 15 bucks. Nintendo is not giving away anything.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#44 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
I think the collection is great, especially for $30. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to add Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island and made it $40 or $50.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
It would've been nice if they threw in World and Yoshi's Island at least. But oh well. At least we're (US) is getting it. Let's just be happy NoA is bringing it over.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 so_hai
Luigi All-Stars collection would be probably more interesting at this stage: - Wrecking Crew - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Mario is Missing! - Luigi's Mansion Now THAT would be a collection of mis-matched software.
Anberlin_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Anberlin_2004
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts

It's surprising since Nintendo has done more generous things in the past. For one, Super Mario All Stars was free with the purchase of SNES. With Gamecube, they gave us a much better mix with the 4 Zelda games free (Zelda, Zelda II, Zelda OoT, Zelda MM) with a Gamecube purchase. With purchase of Zelda WW, we got a Zelda OoT and a different version free with preorder. $29 isn't bad (should be $20 though since it's esentially a recycled game and hopefully I'm wrong), but it seems odd to have a bundle that amounts to less than 1 MB on a 4GB Disc.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

This will sell regardless, but I would have loved to have seen the arcade versions of Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and Mario Bros. Along with those, I would have enjoyed seeing games like Yoshi Island(since its not on the VC), Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, and Donkey Kong 94.

I can maybe understand Nintendo not wanting to add games that are on the Virtual Console due to them losing money from those VC downloads, but this collection is a little thin for thrity bucks. To be honest, I would happily trade off the music CD and history booklet if I could have gotten more games on this collection that showcase Mario's overall history.

Compared to other collections it just seems lazy to toss a SNES collection onto a disc and all it a day. With a character like Mario who has a deep history in gaming, would it really have killed them to at least put his Arcade and Game Boy games along with Yoshi's island on the disc?

You know, the stuff that's not currently on the Virtual Console?

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

Jaysonguy

My problem is that this collection is lacking when compared to the ones Sega, Capcom, SNK, Namco, Taito and others have put out over the years. I don't expect every Mario game ever made on this disc, but I expect more then a SNES game slapped onto a disc.

I can understand why the VC Mario games aren't on this collection since Nintendo does not want to lose the money on those downloads, but what's stopping them from putting the Game Boy and Arcade games on this disc along with Yoshi's Island?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DJ_Lae

I can understand why the VC Mario games aren't on this collection since Nintendo does not want to lose the money on those downloads, but what's stopping them from putting the Game Boy and Arcade games on this disc along with Yoshi's Island?

caryslan2
Actually, the first part I can no longer understand after thinking about it a while. It reminds me a bit of the versions of Street Fighter 2, which Capcom trickled out on the VC in order of quality - obviously they shoveled on the original one first or people would never buy it (and even then all they got were the impatient gamers or those crazy people who buy every VC release). The Mario games are already out on the VC - anyone who really cares about them has already bought them. Putting them on the disc isn't going to hurt downloads very much - at least, I can't imagine it would hurt anything. It's not as if VC or WiiWare titles sell like gangbusters anyway. Putting the original games found in All-Stars would be a nice first start, so people could more easily compare them to the updated versions. But while I'd love to see Yoshi's Island, Nintendo is obviously too bloody lazy to bother coding FX support in at this point. Sure, people have done it in their basement for countless SNES emulators over the years, but for some reason we can't get anything official from Nintendo (who developed the chip in the first place) to make Yoshi's Island, Stunt Race FX, or Star Fox playable.