Is playing DS Zelda out of order OK?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts

Recently bought a 3DS. First Nintendo system I've ever owned. I bought Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Just wondering if its a good idea to play it then go back and get the other Zelda's for the DS. Or should I go back and play the other Zelda's first?

Also what about Pokemon. I got Pokemon Y. Will it ruin older DS versions of the Pokemon games if I play it first?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

for zelda dont worry about it...each zelda is its own game and theres no connection...

for pokemon...umm.. id say play the earlier ones first...because if you play the new one first then go backwards..youll see all the missing features....thats my opinion though...

but go ahead aand play pokemonx/y first...shouldnt be that big a deal.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ugalde-

@KBFloYd: Thanks for the Zelda amswer. And yea I figured that might be a problem in Pokemon. I already started it though and am tapped out so I can't buy any other ones. I definitely see what your saying. The features are great and I don't know how I'm going to play the old ones.

The exp share makes it kinda easy though. Hopefully the older games are a little more challenging.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Link Between Worlds and Spirit Tracks are both great. Phantom Hourglass is not very good, sadly.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

I wouldn't worry about not playing them in order.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Don't worry too much about Pokemon. Older games will feel inferior, but the general gameplay is the same. Pokemon X and Y are a lot faster, more convenient, and easier to pick up and play, but you can still have fun with previous Pokemon games.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Zelda games can be played in any order, but I will say that having played A Link To The Past on SNES has made A Link Between Worlds that much more enjoyable.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ugalde-

Thanks for all the info fellas. Really enjoying this system so far.

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

@Ugalde- said:

Recently bought a 3DS. First Nintendo system I've ever owned. I bought Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Just wondering if its a good idea to play it then go back and get the other Zelda's for the DS. Or should I go back and play the other Zelda's first?

Also what about Pokemon. I got Pokemon Y. Will it ruin older DS versions of the Pokemon games if I play it first?

It doesn't matter which Zelda game you start with, but I would recommend playing The Wind Waker before Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I really wish I could wind back the years and experience all the Zelda games for the very first time once again. As for Pokemon, the newer games are certainly more fluid and convenient, but the first two generations (Red/Blue and Gold/Silver) are still the best. They may be a little sluggish compared to the newer games, but their general game play is exactly the same.