Is a Wii U worth it for me? Very undecided

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

Hey guys. I'm mostly a PC gamer here, but I love playing the Nintendo games.

Here is my dillema though. I play all my games on the PC except for fighters and the console exclusives.

Pretty much that means I only play for nintendo and fighting games.

I don't own any other console myself, so I was looking at the Wii U since well it has the nintendo games and 3rd party looks promising. It already has Tekken on it, but I'm just worried that the console won't live up to the money spent on it.

How is the online? Anyone here play Tekken online for it? Any online presence?

Thanks.

Remember I don't own any console so I can't just buy Soul Calibur or Tekken for another console, pretty much starting from scratch. Just would like to hear a Nintendo fan's opinion.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Just ask yourself this:

At the moment, is what's available for the Wii U worth the $300+ investment that you'll be making to get it? If the answer's yes, go for it. If you're still on the fence, wait until you seen enough to be convinced to get it.

Nintendo's games are sure to be there, but there's really no guarntee that the Wii U will have a lot of fighting games to offer as time wears on. Therefore, you can either buy the system based on what you see now and/or with a gut feeling that it'll be enough, or you can hold your cards until you see what you want to see.

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
I'm waiting until there's at least three games that I want, that I can't already get on the PS3/360. Then I'll get a black Wii U.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

If you need to ask you have no business getting one

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Well...Tekken is fantastic on Wii U. The online is very good and plenty of players. You want Nintendo games right? Well, New Super Mario U and Nintendoland are fine games and Pikmin 3 is right around the corner....so i dont see whats holding you back ....get out and buy a Wii U. Is just not that hard of a decision.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Well you already sound like you would like one. Its pretty much guaranteed to get Nintendo games and Nintendo seems to be pretty serious about getting third party support in my opinion just the fact that they revived Bayonetta 2.

Also you'll probably really like the gamepad i'm telling you once you try with two screens its going to be hard to go back to no screen. Just the other day I was playing Deus Ex on my PS3 and was annoyed that I had to pause the game to look at a map because I was lost in the city :P.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

tekken online is not a robust ans 360/ps3

you have ranked fights option and friendly matches option...thats it

and you have replays...

but no world arena mode and no lobbies..

the nintendo costumes are halarious if you like that sort of thing and all the single player stuff is there in spades.

plus you can use the gamepad to program preset moves...and you can use it in ranked matches...nice way to cheat :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have two Wii U's.

Nintendo's not really being ambitious with Online Design. So, don't buy a Wii U for that. Buy it for exclusives and Nintendo games like I did. Then you won't be dissappointed.

If you love fighters, look into one of the HDtwins and Evo competitions (look at the console those tourney's use).

Why gamble and Hope the Wii U is going to be home to fighters when you don't have to?

It helps to look at the Fighting games support of past Nintendo consoles. SNES was the last well supported Fighting game machine. N64, Gamecube, and Wii did NOT get the lionshare of fighters. I think that's a bad gamble and bet you have there, TC.

OrryC87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OrryC87
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I bought one and am loving it! However, the loading between apps is slow. Also, I am one of the many suffering from the overscan issue. If you love Nintendo titles, I'd say just wait till Pikmin 3 comes out. NSMBU, Nintendo Land, and P3 should hold you until a new 1st party game comes out for the big N.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

i thought the pc is better at everything including fighters. If you like nintendo games then get the system. You do not have to buy it right away.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

i thought the pc is better at everything including fighters. If you like nintendo games then get the system. You do not have to buy it right away.

osirisx3

The PC is not better at fighters. PC don't get all the the great fighting games played at tournaments (Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken, every Street Fighter 4 version, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, SF x Tekken, et cetera), and the ones they do, the community doesn't flock to it. You want great online competition, PC isn't the best option for that category. The PC is not better at everything either. There are other categories it lacks like great local co op and platformers. PC is wonderful at certain categories like MMO, FPS, and RTS. But it's not a "better at everything" box.

That's off topic anyways.

I do agree he doesn't have to get the Wii U right away.

If he waits for a Wii U, more games will release a year from now and the price of the machine will go down. Problems like the slow OS, small memory amounts, and Nintendo Network ID being stuck to a single console may also be rectified.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Can't really recommend it atm. There's only like 1 fighting game Tekken Tag 2. Oh there's also Injustice: Gods among us coming soon. Wait till later to see if there's more games that interest you. Its always best to wait if you're unsure. :)

robbie80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robbie80
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts

Hey guys. I'm mostly a PC gamer here, but I love playing the Nintendo games.

Here is my dillema though. I play all my games on the PC except for fighters and the console exclusives.

Pretty much that means I only play for nintendo and fighting games.

I don't own any other console myself, so I was looking at the Wii U since well it has the nintendo games and 3rd party looks promising. It already has Tekken on it, but I'm just worried that the console won't live up to the money spent on it.

How is the online? Anyone here play Tekken online for it? Any online presence?

Thanks.

Remember I don't own any console so I can't just buy Soul Calibur or Tekken for another console, pretty much starting from scratch. Just would like to hear a Nintendo fan's opinion.

lettuceman44
wait till e3 see what games are coming out that what I'm doing at the moment there no point it also very expensive at 370 and Nintendo land not really game I would want Mario wii u instead.
Future_Unknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Future_Unknown
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

Get it when it's bundled with Super Smash bros. Universe and costs less.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

If you've never played any Wii games that might sway your decision. An established backlog of games you have yet to play, including Zelda, Mario and Metroid.